November: Holidays & Days of Note

Terry McCombs

Oct 31, 2004, 6:27:53 PM10/31/04
November: Holidays & Days of Note. (With emphasis on the more unusual
Holidays & Days of Note.)

Nov. 1 All Saints Day (Roman Catholic, Lutheran) / Plan Your Epitaph Day
(U.S.) / It was on this day Claudius poisoned Hamlet's dad by poring
poison in his ear. In his ear? What the hell kind of poison is that?

Nov. 2 General Election Day (U.S.) In case you haven't heard about it
yet, you being, I assume in a coma, in a cave, on Mars. / Day of the
Dead (Haiti) / National Deviled Egg Day (U.S.)

Nov. 3 Housewife's Day (U.S.) / Bunka no hi (Japan) Culture Day for
promotion of culture and love for freedom and peace. / Sandwich Day
(U.S.)

http://www.wordsources.info/words-mod-sandwich.html

Nov. 4 National Unity Day. (Italy) / It was on this day 1871 that Alice
went through the looking glass.

Nov. 5   Guy Fawkes Night (England)

Nov. 7   Mayan Day of the Dead.

Nov. 8 Fuigo Matsuri (Shinto) Festival in honor of Hettsui no Kami
Goddess of the kitchen range.

Nov. 9 Quatuor Coronati (Freemason) / Chaos Never Dies Day (U.S.) Yet
another of those "holidays" about which I can find no information.

Nov. 10 Tree Festival (Tunisia) / Festival for the Goddesses of Reason,
Liberty & Philosophy (Revolutionary France 1793) which some say never
really happened but was disinformation spread by pro-royalists.

Nov. 11 Remembrance Day (Canada, England and others) The tradition is
to observe a minute of silence at 11:00 am on this day to remember the
dead of World War I. / Veterans Day (U.S.) / Martinmas (Old Scotland)
The feast of St. Martin. A day to "enjoy" a dish of haggis. To quote
Mike Myers character in So I Married An Ax Murderer "I think most
Scottish cuisine started out as a dare." / Halloween under the old
calendar.

Nov. 12   Diwali (India) The Festival of Light. Perhaps the biggest
celebration in the Hindu calendar, even the most humble hut is bright
with light during the days of the five day celebration that has been
compared to a combination of Xmas, New Years & Independence Day. /
Tesuque Feast Day (Native American) / The start of November under the
old calendar.

Nov. 13   Festival of Jupiter (Ancient Rome)

Nov. 14   Ramadan Ends (Islam) / Operation Room Nurse Day (U.S.) /
Children's Day (India)

Nov. 15   Shichigosan '7 - 5 - 3' (Japan) Children's festival. /
National Teddy Bear Day (U.S.) I've read that more people are killed
each year by teddy bears (button eyes stuck in throats, allergic
reactions to materials) than by real bears. Of course real bears don't
kill a lot of people. / It was on this date in 1966 in Point Pleasant,
West Virginia that Two young couples reported to Mason County sheriff's
department that they have had a curious encounter with a something or
other that would come to be called the Moth-Man.

Nov. 17 Queen Elizabeth's Day (England) as well, I guess, on whatever
planet David Icky thinks she and the other lizard aliens come from.

Nov. 18   Occult Day (U.S.). Look as I might the meaning for this day
remains...... occult.

Nov. 19 Pencil Day. The modern pencil appears in 1895 / Pop Tarts
created, 1965

Nov. 20 Commerce God Ceremony (Japan)

Nov. 21 Repentance Day (Germany)

Nov. 23   Kinro kansha no hi 'Labor Thanksgiving Day' (Japan) A
national holiday for honoring labor. / National Cashew Day (U.S.)

Nov. 24   Feast of the Burning Lamps (Egypt)

Nov. 25   Thanksgiving Day (U.S.) And for breakfast that first
Thanksgiving the Pilgrims served boiled eel, explaining the popularity
of Thanksgiving D I N E R. / National Parfait Day (U.S.) "I don't know
nobody who don't like a parfait, I think it's the perfect food!" Donkey
`Shrek.´

Nov. 26 Festival of Lights (Tibetan)

Nov. 28 Day of the New Dance (Tibetan)

Nov. 29 Square Dance Day (U.S.)