No State May Usurp the Place of God

Bruderhof News

Oct 25, 2004, 2:47:08 AM10/25/04
Check out this article at Bruderhof.com:

No State May Usurp the Place of God - Confessing Christ in a World of Violence
by Jim Wallis

Concerned about an emerging theology of war, more than 200 leaders have signed a new "confession" by Jim Wallis reminding the world that no matter how powerful its imperial ambitions, no state may usurp the place of God.

Read the rest of this article at:
http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm
Learn more about the Bruderhof Communities:
http://www.bruderhof.com/

John Ristine

Oct 27, 2004, 4:40:57 PM10/27/04
A great commentary! I believe our war against Iraq is immoral and unjustified. There is no doubt that tens of thousands of innocent people in Irag have died from our bombings and the activities of the insurgents. This non-Christian war was initiated by people in our government who are using Christianity as a shield to hide their real motives. Our country has made a quantum leap from the pragmatic politics of our past leaders to the politics of hatred and intolerance.....

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Lark Kephart

Oct 28, 2004, 4:08:48 AM10/28/04
I received this confession via email from a sister in a Benedictine Monastery, she is a dear friend and knew this would resonate with me. I have since forwarded it to everyone in my address book. This is a beautifully written expression of Christian conscience and I wish it could be read aloud from the pulpit of every Christian church in America. May God bless the writers and signatories of this document and may His will be done on November 2nd.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Gayle Aroian

Oct 28, 2004, 9:16:35 PM10/28/04
Amen-- finally a statement from the bruderhof endorsing The Christ's True Teachings-- since 1980 when first meeting Fr. Emmanuel Charles McCarthy I have struggled with, then studied and prayed my heart out to have the Truth revealed to me from The Great Heart of my Savior Jesus Christ---Now my prayer is that I will always be "prepared" by That Heart to never stray from This Great Truth and to speak, nay, show This Truth to all I come in contact with. St. Francis implores us to preach the Gospels at all times-if necessary, use words--

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

J. Piper

Oct 29, 2004, 8:10:12 PM10/29/04
At last someone has had the courage to put into words what many have felt since prior to this war on Iraq. If only this piece could appear in every newspaper, tv and radio broadcast in America as well as every religious gathering place! Thank you Jim Wallis of Sojourners.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Peggy Thurman

Oct 30, 2004, 9:07:56 PM10/30/04
A very necessary reminder to all Christians about our highest authority, Jesus Christ!

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Sola Oluwadare

Nov 1, 2004, 4:03:28 AM11/1/04
Thanks to God the supreme being that the whole world including some sane people of America are begining to see how America has been ursurping the role of Almighty God......
......It obvious that America and her Gov. are only protecting their interest while actively pursuing enslavement of the seemingly disavantaged country of the world.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

From: Marilee <ne...@bruderhof.com>
Newsgroups: alt.news.bruderhof
Subject: Re:The Charms of Autumn

Marilyn Martin

Nov 1, 2004, 9:07:28 PM11/1/04
I am thankful that Jim Wallis has so beautifully expressed what many of us have been thinking and feeling since 9/11.

Something unwholesome is afoot in America, particularly with regard to the ever-strengthening bond between religion and politics, and the talk that I'm hearing with greater and greater frequency about the need for an American empire that's to spread Christianity throughout the world. So far all we've spread has been hatred and fear and death.

No matter who wins the elections (presidential and other) this November, we must work to separate religion from politics in this country. Uniting the two has corrupted both, dividing our "one nation under God" in a way that prevents us from discussing the many complex issues that face us, let alone finding solutions that might not be ideal to either "side," but would make things better than they are from both perspectives.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Bradley Bahler

Nov 4, 2004, 5:04:15 AM11/4/04
I noticed that most (if not all) of the signatures in agreement with this article were in some way connected with institutions of "higher" learning. Reminds me of John 7:15, And the Jews marvelled, saying, How knoweth this man letters, having never learned?
Academic corroboration may be as dangerous as a policy that rejects the so-called wisdom of international consultation. Truth needs no embellishment, excepting that of love.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Mark D.

Nov 5, 2004, 7:35:04 AM11/5/04
I see "my Jesus" reflected in this proposal, and in ML King's quote from today - but, frankly, God does bless nations. In various places in scripture, God does call this or that nation, this or that leader, to be "a light in the darkness" at various times. Nations that do justice, that practice mercy toward the least, that care for creation, receive God's blessing and get lifted up as examples to the rest of the world. Before the US can make any presumptive claims on God's blessing, we'd better be looking seriously at our domestic policies of health care, tax reform, education, hunger, and domestic violence, and our foreign policies of military aggression, economic colonization, and debt slavery of poorer nations.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

RAS

Nov 6, 2004, 3:04:11 PM11/6/04
Jesus came to fulfill the law - not to change it. In God's law in the old testament, many times He had one nation slaughter another for His purposes. How do we know He still does not do that? God never changes - He is the same - Yesterday, Today and Forever.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Earl Card

Nov 7, 2004, 5:08:48 AM11/7/04
I do not agree with this article compiled by Jim Wallis. Where would our world be if these precept were taken by the early bibical Jews? Where would our country be if taken by our fore fathers? Where would our country be if we were still depending upon the negotiations of the U.N?. Peace advocates have their place in this world but not to the point of promoting the role of a 'sleeping stone'.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Ann E. Smith

Nov 8, 2004, 2:43:48 AM11/8/04
Is the United States going to continue to use 9/11 and the Israelis use the Holocaust as a clenched fist to terrorize the rest of the world with their military might?

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Amy Conner

Nov 8, 2004, 11:17:00 AM11/8/04
If the perversion of Christian doctrine is less than apparent to those who profess to practice it, one wonders how any religious body can keep faith with itself. For all its recent turmoil and shame, Catholicism has at least addressed the inherent dangers of individual divine revelation. That is to say, burn first, canonize later. When God and Christ are morphed into battle flags, woe betide the innocent and all your confessions will not save them. (Not to sound apocolyptic but it sure feels that way.)

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Mair Honan

Nov 8, 2004, 6:13:11 PM11/8/04
So good to read what I too believe would be the Man from Nazareth's teaching.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Paula J

Nov 9, 2004, 2:46:14 AM11/9/04
It's a pleasure to finally read something that allows me to feel grounded to my roots of faith. Thank You-

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Shirley Jacobson

Nov 9, 2004, 9:17:04 PM11/9/04
I'm so thankful for this article that I can share with Christian friends. The organized church seems to be falling back on Old Testament history instead of trusting the teachings of Jesus. I was beginning to feel very alienated from the Christian church.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Jeanne Fobes

Nov 11, 2004, 3:04:05 AM11/11/04
Thank you. Your "Daily Digs" often provide me with provocative thoughts for meditation. Today's Confession from Jim Wallis is a profound reminder of who Christ is and of how far from His reason for coming among us this present administration has led us. I will forward this message to many friends.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

John Davies

Nov 15, 2004, 5:24:45 PM11/15/04
I spent a great part of last week very upset over a email forwarded to me by a family member that enumerated all the reasons a Christian should support Bush over Kerry. Instead of ignoring it I responded to her, but unfortunately I didn't take enough time to think through my response. This is more like the attitude I should have used in responding, I guess I'm not as good a Christian as I could be!

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Rev Geoffrey Thorpe

Nov 18, 2004, 7:08:31 AM11/18/04
Jim Wallis always deserves a wider audience. Thank you for making his initiative known on your e-mail network. His is a timely and much needed voice. How easy it is for the language of religious faith to be subtly taken over into what too easily becomes the idolatrous service of the state. Thank you.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Jackie

Nov 19, 2004, 2:48:18 AM11/19/04
I've been praying for an answer to my thinking before I go to the poles to vote next week.
We have two choices...an announced Catholic who favors such liberal laws as abortion and gay marriages to a proclaimed Christian man that began this war in Iraq. Can this message be given to President Bush?

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Harlan Ratmeyer

Nov 19, 2004, 7:18:39 PM11/19/04
Excellent. I agree. We need more voices speaking from the point of view of the faith. The flag seems to be addressing the faith these days, not the faith addressing the flag. We have no faith in the Christ we name when we trust in weapons and threats and physical power to relate to the world. We are a schizophrenic nation, espousing fervently a faith we do not practice and naming as dysloyal or weak, those who do seek to live out the faith.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Marcos C

Nov 22, 2004, 12:58:00 PM11/22/04
My older brother is a Christian - strongly involved with his church and community. He is a vocal supporter of G. Bush.

I am not a Christian. And yet, the Bruderhof is a great inspiration to me.

My brother supports the war in Iraq. He actually told me the other day, "of course there's going to be collateral damage." I was so angered by the hypocrisy that I could no longer carry on the conversation.

I am not a Christian, but I do believe in the teachings of Christ. When I was a young boy, I "pretended" that I was Christ in my mind so that I could naturally express myself in the world as Christ would have.

I am not a Christian because most every self-proclaimed Christian that I know explains away the hardest teachings of Christ with "Yes, but..." This article gives me a glimmer of hope that some who call themselves Chistians do try to live the teachings of Christ.

I believe that it is always better to choose love over anger. Hope instead of cynicism. Compassion before justice. Whatever our religious labels, I hope that we can work together to bring about a world that lives as Christ taught.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Clarence

Nov 24, 2004, 1:15:24 PM11/24/04
Mr. Wallis should have been the third speaker, or should I say the moderator, during the presidential debates to deliver this dynamic message to all those that calls themselves Christians. This is well written. Thank-you!

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Chris Miller

Dec 6, 2004, 2:12:42 PM12/6/04
Thank you, Mr. Wallis, for voicing the opinions of those who believe in the path of Christ, and attempt to follow it in their own hearts.

The situation of American foreign policy has taken on an extremely aggressive tone in the past four years, including the characterization of entire nations as "Evil," and using this and other rationales to invade, bomb, and reconstruct an entire country. These policies cannot be pursued by anyone professing to be Christian: Christ would never sanction aggressive violence in any occaision.

The fact that the President tells the country of his faith , prayers, and religiosity is a testament to how the words of forgiveness, charity, and love can be transformed into a means of sanctioning violence.

As can the propensity for Americans to view our country with a special plan to influence the entire world, imposing our own views on their governments and people under the guise of liberation and freedom.

This rhetoric has been seen before: in the words of the British Empire, this manifested in the "White Man's Burden." This has become, for America, the "Free Man's Burden." Imperialism and domination over other people in any form is the exact opposite of what Christ would want us to do: on how many occaisions do we hear the number of casualties suffered by the IRAQI people, both military and civilian?

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Patricia A Chittendon

Dec 16, 2004, 9:07:45 AM12/16/04
Thank you, I am grievieng the situation my country has placed itself in. I am also at a loss as to what to do to change this. Your statement "No State May Usurp the Place of God had given me renewed hope that the people of the world will see the true light and not follow our goverments lead. Thank you! If you have any insights into how I can help please.....

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Christopher Crichton

Dec 29, 2004, 3:10:25 PM12/29/04
Thank you for the clarity of thinking - loaded with compassion and kindness.
How wondrous it would be if all the creative intelligence and energy of humankind could be applied to a fully inclusive journey of meaning while we share this time on Earth.
The fact that this passage which expresses these sentiments and interpretation comes out of the USA is a pleasant surprise to those others (us) who live outside and seriously question the capacity of its citizens to understand another perspective - of non-violence.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Mary Holm

Jan 6, 2005, 2:51:31 PM1/6/05
These words are so important. Thank you for posting this article here. I think it should be posted everywhere that it possibly can be posted. What do people think Jesus meant when he said "love your enemies?" On the other hand, I realize that my heart is not always one filled solely with peace toward others. God, please help this world we live in! Perhaps we need it now more than we ever have.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Tim Nyberg

Jan 10, 2005, 9:02:37 AM1/10/05
The sad thing is, when I share Jim's powerful and important "confession" with evangelical Christian friends, they just don't get it. They profess Christ yet seem to be oblivious to His teachings. Today's Daily Dig from Martin Luther King, Jr. (A time comes when silence is betrayal. Even when pressed by the demands of inner truth, men do not easily assume the task of opposing their government's policy, especially in time of war. Nor does the human spirit move without great difficulty against all the apathy of conformist thought, within one's own bosom and in the surrounding world.) fits the responses that I have gottn precisely.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Alison Walpole

Jan 28, 2005, 10:55:01 AM1/28/05
Thank you for putting into words what my spirit has been saying - there is a THIRD WAY. I am so concerned that Christians around the world will think they have to side with America and its foreign policies because the "other side" is so obviously wrong. The Third Way is the way of the cross, the way of Christ.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Meghan

Feb 2, 2005, 2:47:41 AM2/2/05
I loved this article. Finally someone intelligently articulated what I feel in my heart. I was raised a Christian but I am not a strong Christian, one reasons is because I have been turned off by these notions that we must all fit into this same bubble and anyone who is outside our political walls or who doesn't fit in completely (do any of us???) is wrong, evil and should be punished. Thank You.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Jamie

May 11, 2005, 4:11:37 AM5/11/05

Rev. Doug Dirks

May 12, 2005, 5:09:43 AM5/12/05

Joseph

Aug 16, 2005, 11:24:50 PM8/16/05
This article is thoughtful & articulates the challenges of being a follower of Christ. Unfortunately, many so-called Christians in the U.S. just do not get it. Christ calls on us to make radical choices to reject the rationalizations of man's law. Many individuals in the U.S. are confused & scared, understandably. The so-called "Christian right" as well as the so-called "Muslim fundamentalists" are using God's name in vain, distorting sacred texts to fulfill their own personal agenda's &, either consciously or unconsciously, paving the way to hell. Sadly, for the innocents & genuine, we will all pay the ultimate price unless we make a stand.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Cindy Rose

Aug 19, 2005, 10:36:31 AM8/19/05
This article, including the statement by MLK Jr about 'silencs as betrayal'is very consoling to me. For the first time in my life, I am working hard on a campaign, having reached an impossible level of anxiety. The anxiety comes not just from the outer state of the nation and it's policies...but exactly from that GOOD place of inner dissonance when I keep silent in the face of something so wrong. As our l'Arche founder, Jean Vanier says often in our retreats, "May the peace of Jesus DISTURB you always"...(which I am not sure, but he may have coined from Bonhoeffer).
Excellent and energizing article. Thank you.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Marshall Chambers

Aug 25, 2005, 5:21:03 PM8/25/05
This is excellent. I think each person who takes seriously the life and commands of Jesus struggles with the issues raised here. Peacemaking is difficult even in times of relative peace, yet for the committed follower of Christ peacemaking is essential in times of war.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Greasy

Sep 3, 2005, 8:07:33 AM9/3/05
As the debate over the war on terrorism continues, concerned leaders from
across the country have signed a statement reminding the world that no
matter how powerful its imperial ambitions, no state may usurp the place of
God. Drafted by Jim Wallis, a nationally known peace advocate and editor of
Sojourners, the statement was issued in Washington D.C. on October 22.
Wallis explained that "a climate in which violence is too easily accepted,
and the roles of God, church, and nation too easily confused, calls for a
new confession... Ours contains five points that are central for followers
of Jesus - and identifies and rejects several popular current teachings
that oppose the way of Christ."

Here is the full text of the confession:
http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Susan

Nov 21, 2005, 11:02:44 PM11/21/05
You are ignoring the fact that this is a war against Islamic Fundamentalism. They want to kill all who are not under their belief system. We must fight them. Jesus would expect us to stand up for Christianity rather than to cower and wait for the tyranny of a one-religion world.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Brigitte Birze

Nov 23, 2005, 12:31:40 PM11/23/05
You go! I'm forwarding this email. Finally, we get to take back Christinaity from those giving it a bad name! :-)

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/wallis-confession.htm

Patrick Miller

Dec 5, 2005, 2:32:14 PM12/5/05