An Advent Message

Bruderhof News

Nov 24, 2005, 11:44:37 AM11/24/05
Check out this article at Bruderhof.com:

An Advent Message -
by Johann Christoph Arnold

This year the words of Handel?s ?Messiah? have gained new meaning for me. Isaiah speaks of comfort?not fear?and given the times we live in, that is something to think about.

Read the rest of this article at:
http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm
Learn more about the Bruderhof Communities:
http://www.bruderhof.com/

Lino

Nov 28, 2005, 10:32:13 AM11/28/05
"..if we reach the heart we will find there the hidden spark from God, even if it lies within the greatest criminal."

This quote from your grandfathers dream made me stop and ponder and to go back and read it over three more times. Its so true that if we reach the heart of the worst possible human being on earth we will touch that spark. It is only through love that we can ignite that spark, no matter how deeply recessed it might be.
Forgiveness is the fertilizer that makes the flower called love bloom in each one of us. Do we want to be that fertilizer? Many dont want to get their hands dirty.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Fred Gallucio

Nov 28, 2005, 4:12:22 PM11/28/05
It was great. I resonate very much with was said...I do not know if I can ever live up to it...even in my daily life...but, I keep praying and trying. We will be doing our 20th annual Peace Prayer Service at Sts Simon and Jude Catholic Church this Tues at 7pm. It is an Ecumenical service that began at the same time that the Pope had a similar service in Assissi, Italia in 1986.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Clara

Nov 28, 2005, 4:23:46 PM11/28/05
Excellent story. This is why we are taught to look beyone personalities and appearances to the "spark of God" within each individual. Sometimes our own actions or words can fan that spark into a flame of love and identity of our true selves. That each of us has the same measure of that God spark within. But we have free will in choosing whether we will emulate the life of Christ as he taught us to do.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Stan Penner

Nov 28, 2005, 4:29:22 PM11/28/05
A great message. People who are against war must speak up and not simply go along with the flow.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Gail McIntosh

Nov 29, 2005, 12:31:52 AM11/29/05
Knowing that Arnold speaks the truth, knowing that the only good inside our hearts is the good that Jesus brings, brings me to my knees as I realize I have not become the word of God. Just this week when my adult son told his office that he needed major back surgery, he was quickly fired as "we dont have time for you to have back surgery. "In Texas, the law does not protect employees in any way. This puts major hardships on him and his family. I did not realize I was capable of this much anger. Corrie ten Boom I am not. The only thing I can do is give it to the Lord and trust He has a better plan for my sons life. Thank you for a message very much needed and well received.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Kelson

Nov 29, 2005, 3:51:21 PM11/29/05
I am challenged again about forgiveness. Some have forgiven much because they have been much wronged, others have had less to forgive since humanity has injured less. Then I think how individually and collectively we have wronged Almighty God, yet he extends both hands in Christ, in forgiveness, nailed to a tree he created!

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Jude

Nov 29, 2005, 7:03:30 PM11/29/05
Thank you for this dig. I join wih you in praying for a return to community spirit where there are no locked doors to protect our meagre possessions, where violence is non existent and justice and forgiveness reigns. When I look at history repeating itself time and again. I fear this will not be in our/my time but Gods to whom time has no meaning. As mere mortals we can only hope and pray that God will intervene and stop us crucifying each other in his name and for the sake of power and dominion over others who appear to have what we say we need. This Christmas let there be an end to loneliness and hunger, greed and materialism, pride and prejudice to leave only room for hope, love and faith in all Gods children.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Robert Norris

Nov 29, 2005, 11:03:25 PM11/29/05
The basic premise is that God created us in His likeness. God is Love. I think the Ten Boom effort was very close to Gods design.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Dawn Naidoo

Nov 30, 2005, 10:32:30 AM11/30/05
A very interesting and thought provoking article. Thanks. I really enjoy the Daily Dig. Encourages me and keeps strong during trying times.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Chilly Chilton

Dec 1, 2005, 7:32:42 AM12/1/05
Truly the worst enemy can become a friend, through faith. For I was the worst of sinners - an enemy of Jesus Christ - and He looked down from the cross and saw, through flawless faith, past the person to my potential and uttered those redeeming words, "Father, forgive (him) for he knows not what (he) does". And now, how can I look at anyone as "my enemy" - I choose, by faith, to look past the person they are and into the unlimited potential, through Christ, they can become. Thus, a enemy becomes my friend

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Greg Martin

Dec 1, 2005, 11:35:05 AM12/1/05
My family and I returned last evening from a week long cruise to Mexico, and I wanted to share something the captain of the ship said. The crew consisted of men and women from 50 different countries, men and women who ate, slept, worked and played together for 10 months at sea. And it worked! The captain firmly believed that if world leaders would spend a week at sea with his crew, they would leave inspired to do all that needed to be done to bring about healing among nations. It CAN be done, and if we are to call ourselves Christians, it MUST be done. Thank you for your daily dose of wisdom that keeps me eternally grounded and centered. God bless.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Vil

Dec 1, 2005, 6:32:12 PM12/1/05
If we learn to love each other regardless of anything else then we truly follow what Jesus Christ wants us to do. Forgiving should come from the heart and be followed by our will to do. If there is real forgiveness then peace will just flow like a water in the river. May your message reach all the corners of the earth and continue to inspire each and every one us.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Robert di Grappa

Dec 1, 2005, 9:03:21 PM12/1/05
Fifty-two million people, an estimate Im sure, were slaughtered during WWII. I understand a measure of forgiveness. It is accepted what a man has and not what he doesnt have. Faith to faith. There are so many instances in the so called New Testament that condemn many. John the baptizer said bring forth fruits worthy of repentance, Jesus called some sons of your father the devil, white-washed sepulchers, if you dont believe I am He you shall die in your sins. Paul talked about those God had given over to a depraved mind, those who persist in self-seeking, who reject the truth and follow evil will face wrath and anger. He speaks in Galatians of reaping destruction. Of course, there are all the terrible judgments in the Revelation. What about the false prophets that are spoken of in Jeremiah and Ezekiel who say peace, peace when there is no peace. How could anyone speak peace to a Hitler? Wasnt Herod struck down by an angel. I have received much grace myself because sin has abounded in my life. I always say if I havent done it I know someone who has. But, I must say this sounds like what is termed greasy grace. Enlighten me further.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

John Karondukadavil

Dec 2, 2005, 1:36:01 AM12/2/05
Yes this is indeed the central message of Advent. The coming of Love and incarnation of love that is needed in our world of today. May love alone heal and make way straight." And if we reach the heart we will find there the hidden spark from God, even if it lies within the greatest criminal." Yes this is the truth we need the patience and humility to search the hidden spark from God.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Rick

Dec 2, 2005, 2:32:12 PM12/2/05
I struggle on a daily basis with my faith. I no longer go to church, find it hard to pray on a daily basis, and am not even sure about my beliefs in God. I was raised Catholic but over the last 3-5 years have gone to church less and less. I have not been in over six months now. I read Daily Dig on a pretty regular basis. I believe I am called to do this. I also believe I am being called to become more socially involved in the world. I am praying that I will be converted this Advent Season to a deeper relationship with Christ, one in which I am living the Gospel message on a daily basis, in my home, my workplace, the community in which I live, my city, state, country, wherever it is I am being called to do so. I feel I need the prayers of many others also as my heart has become so hardened and my spirit so untrusting.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Marilyn Madd

Dec 2, 2005, 7:34:14 PM12/2/05
Usual Left wing rants - it doesnt belong on a religious web site. We went to Iraq and made a people free just as we did when we destroyed Nazi Germany. I think this grandson should read his history.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Margaret

Dec 3, 2005, 2:31:54 AM12/3/05
I too have been feeling that we really need leaders who represent the true thought of the people they represent.There is so much evil being done in the world and more evil seems to come from it.Talking to other people from many countries we all have the same desires and hopes. One day I hope we will all be as brothers and sisters.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Shelbey Krahn

Dec 3, 2005, 7:03:04 AM12/3/05
I totally embrace the peace-loving sentiments expressed. However, I was negatively struck by the tally of U.S. soldiers killed and wounded, but the lack of tally of the Iraqis killed and wounded. "In Iraq, more than 2,100 G.I.s have been killed in the ongoing fighting, and close to 20,000 more have been wounded. Fear and grief and, worst of all, a feeling of loneliness, must affect every one of their families. Indeed, the future looks grim for many." The future looks a lot worse for a lot longer for the Iraqis.

As well, the article seemed to be against speaking out against the government. I can see people using this article to justify inaction. "My grandfathers primary focus was never condemning the government he opposed. Instead, he threw his energies into helping people to hang onto hope, and onto the belief that God?s glory can be revealed even in the darkest times and places." Hope without action -- isnt that why Marx called religion the "opiate of the people"? We need to be peacemakers, not peacehopers.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Carol Waskovich

Dec 3, 2005, 7:34:26 PM12/3/05
I was moved by the grandfathers dream, his dream of hope. And thats what the Scripture quote was about too - hope. Hope for a better tomorrow, hope for change. It takes courage to hope in the face of overwhelming obstacles, the feeling of powerlessness, the confrontation with evil. Im reminded by The Lord of the Rings, Frodo and Samwise struggling step by step in the land of the Dark Lord of Mordor. The only thing keeping them going is the thin strand of hope. In the face of todays political climate with the war on terrorism, on Iraq, on the poor, theres is only hope that can sustain us as we live day by day, step by step doing what we must do to bring justice, compassion, and peace to one another. There is always hope whether its in a higher power or in the goodness, however small, that lives in ourselves and in the other.
Advent - a season lost amidst consumerism and worries and world events - is perhaps a season of the heart. A season that we must cultivate with hope, wherever we find it. And we are challenged to find it. But it is there. Advent is perhaps an attitude, a longing, a desire that lurks beneath the surface of things. It is a celebration of waiting.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Aicia

Dec 3, 2005, 11:34:13 PM12/3/05
Thank you for sharing this story. It really confirms my thoughts about forgiveness and prayer for those who hurt you. God does change things around when we put all our trust in Him and seek his help . And at the same time it increases our faith as we forgive and know that by forgiving others ,by the same token we are forgiven.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Anita Purkiss

Dec 4, 2005, 9:03:10 AM12/4/05
It is this constant struggle to find a way to "love our enemies" whilst at the same time being very clear that wrong-doing and evil cannot be ignored and must be challenged. In these days of political correctness to challenge anothers beliefs/actions/opinions in this way is seen so often to be unacceptable yet Jesus always seemed to find a gentle and loving way to challenge the sin directly, yet still clearly love the sinner. Lord help me to learn that skill!

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Nora Buckman

Dec 4, 2005, 1:34:31 PM12/4/05
My gruding, dutiful prayers for the President, the military and policy decision makers who send us to war must be transformed. If I can forgive, can they be changed?

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Donna

Dec 4, 2005, 7:34:31 PM12/4/05
My father too, although fighting for the allies never allowed the men under him to speak ill of the Germans. He expected them to do as he did and to pray for the Germans and all those fighting that peace would come soon. He also expected his men to treat all prisoners fairly and as they would have liked to be treated. He taught me this same principle although , I was born 30 years after the commencement of WWII.
I recently read a book, entitled the Peacegiver. This book teaches that no matter how we feel, about others we should try to forgive them. Not to make ourselves feel better but because the sacrifice of Jesus upon the cross and his resurrection were for all men to allow them passage back to our Heavenly Father. If we refuse to forgive others, we are saying that this sacrifice is not good enough. I know that it is extremely difficult for us to forgive some as the atrocities they commit are beyond our wildest imaginings but they ultimately have to face a higher judge and we do not know what drove them to do what they did. I believe we can all hope for change and feel that advent is not just a time for waiting but a time for reflecting and changing.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Angela

Dec 5, 2005, 2:31:49 AM12/5/05
This was very good. It is in the heart where the true person is. We have to aim for the heart.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Martha Smith

Dec 5, 2005, 11:34:13 PM12/5/05
So well put!! Thanks for sharing this powerful story of
the marvelouos wonderful Advent journey in our hearts.

My Father was a peace-loving man. It was very hard for him to go into WWII as a Marine. It was his country calling him. Oh, how my Dad had trouble with that - as he shared later. He was a humble man, but not afraid. He was a quiet and profound man, but did not express some of his innermost feelings. He was the kind of guy that so many of us need to be. He went about doing good and when someone
asked he definitely would tell them what he believed.
But you know what? He did not have to tell what he believed very often, why? Because he lived Jesus. People knew my Dad and knew what he stood for. That is marvelous. Would it not be wonderful to have people know
how we stand because of our life - which is lived in front of them - that life of ours tells them so much about us that we do not have to speak any further. We are a testimony of Gods love and His grace and forgiveness.
Wow. My Dad was such a man. I miss him, but feel His presence in my life/heart. He is in Heaven now. I know he
has already "spoken" with some of the saints, and he has
kindly but firmly said Hello there my Friend, glad to see you here!! I thought you would be here!
Thanks for "listening" to my rendition of being a peacemaker.
I agree with you. It is in the binding together with our hearts in love and standing for what we believe, definitely needed. But as you said in love, not condemning anyone, but being a light and a beacon of Hope in this dark sometimes dreary world.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Linda Evans

Dec 6, 2005, 4:05:36 AM12/6/05
Thank you for the reflection. In this time of worldwide terrorism, it comes as a source of encouragement to be steadfast in faith.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Laurie Christophersen

Dec 6, 2005, 4:20:25 AM12/6/05
Todays Advent message, to me, is the goes to the meaning of our faith. Jesus tells us that we must love our enemies. Anyone can love the people they are close to, to reach out is the awesome message and challenge in life. A Buddhist teaching tells to love all with compassion and loving kindness. We truly cannot have life without giving our own in this type of love.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Joel

Dec 6, 2005, 6:32:04 AM12/6/05
This helps me to remember that humanity is behind every face and that there is a path of communication and peace available when I set my judgment aside and learn not to hate.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm

Steve

Dec 6, 2005, 9:51:01 AM12/6/05
I believe in forgiveness but consequence has its part to play...Hitlers suicide inevitable, drug traffickers get hung...

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/advent-msg-2005.htm