Thanksgiving: A Native American View

Bruderhof News

Nov 16, 2005, 9:29:44 AM11/16/05
Check out this article at Bruderhof.com:

Thanksgiving: A Native American View -
by Jacqueline Keeler

I see, in the traditional story of the "first Thanksgiving," a hidden Pilgrim heart. The story of that heart is the real tale that needs to be told.

Read the rest of this article at:
http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm
Learn more about the Bruderhof Communities:
http://www.bruderhof.com/

Nancy Bee

Nov 24, 2005, 11:45:28 AM11/24/05
As I reflect upon Jacqueline Keelers Provocative essay, I realize how history is often disorted and romanticized to serve our own purposes. Ironically, those who fled their own homes to find freedom of thought and of religion, became those "enemies" they had left at home. The arrogance, bigotry, and self-serving attitudes toward their hosts in a new country reflected hearts fettered with a "religion" that has nothing to do with the Great God of creation. The history that children learn in school regarding that first Thanksgiving has little to do with the truth.

May we all find that place in our hearts that is compassion and love this Thanksgiving morning. May we be brave enough to hear truth and to continue on a higher road toward care of the Earth and one another. As Jacqueline has written, a giving bank is far more fruitful than a savings bank. Thank you for the Dail Dig. It enriches my thinking every morning.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Charles

Nov 24, 2005, 4:43:42 PM11/24/05
Most of which Ms. Keeler speaks is undoubtedly true. However, every Pilgrim was not a devil. Like all prejudices, the group cannot be condemned for the acts of a few. Were this true, all Native Americans would be considered evil because of the actions of a few renegades. Thanksgiving is a day of giving thanks for what God has provided for us, but everyday is a day to put prejudices aside.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Michael Seifert

Nov 24, 2005, 4:45:02 PM11/24/05
The biblical fool is the one does not trust the providence of God and who stores up against that day when God will fail. The manipulation of resources--buying and selling and selling again--is never seen so clearly as on tomorrow--black Friday, the biggest shopping day of the year. From a sharing at table to an orgy of "get all you can, can all you get, and sit on the lid."

A moment of silence is in order. Perhaps a longer moment than is usual.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Howard Glass

Nov 25, 2005, 11:21:45 AM11/25/05
Does anyone think that one webpage, in an age when information is cheap and diverse, should be given credence over history that has endured for centuries? Think about it. Absent from this narrative are some undeniable, mitigating truths which most objective Americans could come up with given a little time and thought. Any thinking person knows this is a fanciful, romantic account that leaves most of the story untold. Many unlearned people will buy into this nonsense. But you insult the intelligence of most of us. If the native American culture was not able to endure when it came into contact with other cultures, well, you can draw your own conclusions as to why. To assert that the dissappearance of that way of life was the result of evil perpetrated by one group of people over an innocent group is not merely silly but borders on wicked. All mankind is capable of evil. All of us are capapble of good. If the Pilgrims had perished do you suppose the native culture would still be surviving today?

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Donna

Nov 26, 2005, 9:34:01 AM11/26/05
To me that was an awesome history lesson for me. It touched me more than I can express. The world is full of hate and racism. God is so good to us and created us all equal. I know things years ago was horrible. I thank God that he gives me the ability to see the good in all no matter what race or nationality we are.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Phil Schulman

Nov 26, 2005, 2:31:41 PM11/26/05
Wondeful contrast! It was the natives who embodied the Jesus teachings and values, while Christians cloaked themselves in alleged superiority to remain blind to the long legacy of terror that continues to this day.
Giving thanks is wonderful, but to repeat the myth removed from its shameful nature is to continue the legacy. Awesome! Bruderhof Thank you for continually cutting through the fog of our culture by delivering truth and clarity.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Anand

Nov 26, 2005, 3:56:32 PM11/26/05
Its one of the wonderful daily dig. i dont know about anything american indians. this article gave me some knowledge. thanks

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Chris Young

Nov 26, 2005, 5:02:54 PM11/26/05
.......Jacqueline Keeler, really nails this on the head. Our lives should represent a steady and constant state of doing what the Lord would have us to do and not be people of reaction only. Somewhere along this journey we call life we have to come that

Robert Killeffer

Nov 26, 2005, 11:33:50 PM11/26/05
Blaming the Pilgrims for the genocide of others is probably politically correct, but its historically not true. Cotton Mather was a Boston Puritan, not a pilgrim.(Mass. Bay was a different colony.)
Trashing our forefathers in the name of multi-culturalism may make some feel better, but it changes nothing.
As far as theology goes, if there is salvation outside of Christ, we should all become universalists.
(Try researching Elliot and Brainerd before you condemn an entire group of
colonists!)

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Sarita Mans

Nov 27, 2005, 4:33:45 AM11/27/05
I found this so touching. In South Africa we are living with the aftermath of apartheid. While is is a wonderful country, filled with glorious peope, it is a daily challenge to deal with the issues created by apartheid. A big portion of the healing in our case, in my opinion is attributable to killing the evil heart, which for us, took the form of a formal Truth and Reconciliation process, with public hearings, apologies and restitution, where applicable. Far from being perfect and solving all the problems, it served a very important need - it got people talking, it made us see our situation from both sides and showered us all with living examples of grace and forgiveness, of which Nelson Mandelas situation is most well-known. Real healing asks for absolute truth and unconditional forgiveness.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Rodney Dempsey

Nov 27, 2005, 9:34:08 AM11/27/05
Someday, another powerful nation will "return the favor" that we have done to the American Indians. We have had so much, for so long, we no longer appreciate what we have, but, greedily expect increases in material "things". Our time is coming. May we turn back to God, and give, as the Indians did, rather than focus on taking.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Dan Hogan

Nov 27, 2005, 1:03:14 PM11/27/05
I stumbled upon daily dig mostly by accident, surfing the net - and since have been faithful. I like the spontaneity of the dig - but mostly I like the link to further readings. If your aim is to be thought-provoking, you are achieving it in a lofty, positive way. I look at your items as invitations to think. Thanks - and keep it up!

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Janet

Nov 27, 2005, 3:03:08 PM11/27/05
Ignorance and denial of the truth allow evil to live. Truth-telling is the beginning of rooting out evil. Thank you, Jaqueline, for telling this truth in such a direct and compelling way. May we hear it, and and in hearing it, be instructed, transformed, freed - and healed.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Hblim

Nov 27, 2005, 7:03:01 PM11/27/05
Lets not think of destroying the evil heart. Lets think about healing. And healing will start when at every Thanksgiving, more thoughts and thanks are given to the givers than the gifts. That way the evil heart will change and healing will go on. As for Jacqueline Keeler, continue sharing and giving as your contribution to the healing process.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Cheryl

Nov 28, 2005, 9:03:25 AM11/28/05
I very much enjoyed the article about Thanksgiving: A Native American View. I hate it that the earlier settlers were so cruel and mean to the Native peoples. Im sure our history books are full of "untruths" and I will never know the whole-"real truth" of the Indian nations throughout the US. I also pray that giving is done freely and from the heart, not just to be recognized for giving a generous gift of food, clothing or whatever other materiel things that are needed at the time of giving.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Marilyn Valente

Nov 28, 2005, 11:03:33 AM11/28/05
As a young woman of the 60s I left Long Island to go off to college in that far off place called Yankton, South Dakota. The next three years were eye opening for me. I managed to earn a degree in religions from YC, and studied, voraciously the ways of the native americans, finally understanding the true meaning of the Sun Dance and the concept of "Mother Earth". I can only hope that I have imparted some of these values to my children, and now my grandchildren. There was an advertisement a number of years ago with a native american looking over the waters and a tear rolled down his face. On 9/11 as I stood watching the devastation from my office window one block away, that commercial came to mind, and a tear rolled down my cheek. Have we come full circle? Some of us have given and we are hated for it as well. Those who refuse to study history, are doomed to repeat its mistakes.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Barbara Burtchett

Nov 28, 2005, 11:52:14 AM11/28/05
Thank you so very much for expressing your thoughts so vividly. I am not, to my knowledge, Native American yet feel the pain of so many cultures that have been betrayed as your people have.
My people, the Roma, are also being betrayed for holding close their culture of thousands of years. I am so deeply sorry to find this happening all over the world.
I have a very close "Wolf Sister," who has taught me much of the Cherokee ways. She is a blessing in my life as I am a searcher of a better understanding of all people.
I support two Native American schools with much pride, always treasuring the childrens notes and drawings of love and caring, for me a perfect stranger.
I pray we all learn to live in peace with love for mother earth who weeps as we destroy her and each other. I have experienced alot at 71 years of age and what we are facing frightens me for all future generations to come.
Namaste dear sister, friend, writer of the truth. Blessings on this hoilday of giving thanks with prayers for understanding and healing.

Bobute, the old one

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Shesh

Nov 28, 2005, 2:32:22 PM11/28/05
Thank you for the bit of history. It is good to wake up on TG morning and be reminded of the truth of ThanksGiving. May we all give thanks for the Indians who nurtured our ancestors. May we be thankful for the land and its abundance and treat it with respect.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Jo Arborn

Nov 28, 2005, 4:12:56 PM11/28/05
I thought this article was wonderful and insightful. It makes one worry that nothing will ever change in society, that wars, greed, genocide will continue until there is nothing left. We will never find our way if we leave it to the so called "Leaders" of the world, who speak of Democracy and hide their hearts, so we dont see that their true motivation is about spreading economies and oil, and getting richer on the tears of others. Much can be learnt from the past, but we continue to live as though the past does not matter, it is a constant traveller with us, yet we continue to ignore those lessons about humanity.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Marjorie Smith

Nov 28, 2005, 4:23:13 PM11/28/05
Thank you! Your sharing was the best Thanksgiving gift I have ever received. I was saying to my daughters, yesterday, that when I see plays of the Indians feeding and helping the Pilgrims, I think, "BIG MISTAKE." Then to read this message from such a BIG HEART -- makes me think that perhaps that heart outside the body can be found and healed.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Mary

Nov 28, 2005, 4:27:59 PM11/28/05
THANK YOU! This is exactly what I was looking for on this, a favorite feast.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Mary Ann

Nov 28, 2005, 7:03:28 PM11/28/05
"Land of the Indians Pride"...How noble our heritage, and how heart wrenching the truth! Thank you God for our noble ancestors and our Native American family.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Kathy Hill

Nov 28, 2005, 9:03:35 PM11/28/05
..... and I would NOT sing "...the bombs bursting in air" during the Korean War. When a teacher noticed me daydreaming during this time & questioned me..... Horrors! I then began refusing to place my hand appropriately during the Pledge to the Flag!!!

Nikki Zyp

Nov 29, 2005, 1:36:01 AM11/29/05
I am an American that celebrates Thanksgiving and I am a follower of Jesus Christ. It saddens me to know that my ancestors used the name of God to justify the death of millions. I believe that we need to know what really happen that first Thanksgiving and what followed, its important to our future. However when I gather together with friends and family on Thanksgiving, Im not celebrating that first day. I am not celebrating the massacre of the Native Americans, Im not even celebrating that friendship and generosity that was displayed by the Native Americans. I celebrate the abundant, undeserving blessings that have been bestowed upon me by God. Knowing the truth behind Thanksgiving makes my heart overflow with gratitude to God for two reasons, first that he allowed people who were representing him to defy his character in such a blatant way. After reading what Mather wrote I shake my head in amazement that God did not strike him and other like-minded pilgrims dead on the spot for such actions and thoughts. Yet I am reminded that I often in my selfishness and even in good intentions poorly, miserably represent my savior. Thank you God that you are patient with me and dont punish me for my glaring flaws! Secondly this story so clearly protrays the way the God uses the most unlikely (to us) sources to demonstrate his character and to minister. The "heathens" were the ones in this story that demostrated Gods grace and love. This reminds me that God uses the flawed, the lost, the searching, the WILLING. Thank you God that you dont just select the most holy & pious to be used by you, but you use the lowly, the weak, the victims of society to demostrate your character. May I be low in society so that I may glorify you.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Bob Muth

Nov 29, 2005, 4:31:16 AM11/29/05
Great thoughts! ...Peace, correctly understood, is interwoven with gratefulness. When we are grateful, we peacefully accept what is. Gratefulness is costly because it does not close its eyes to the dark side of what is. To be grateful is more than merely being thankful for what we perceive to be beneficial. Fear is destructive of peace, and without the grateful acceptance of the present now, there always remains the lurking fear that some future harm may come our way. I was thinking about these things as a good friend and I hiked to Garry Lookout today. We had our dogs along: Sam, a border collie cross, Nahanni, a yellow lab, and Ember, a young golden retriever. Once we left our truck, the dogs became the obvious teachers. They were fully present through their unconditional acceptance of each snow and fog filled moment. They were not clinging to the past or fearful for the future. They neither judged the weather nor critiqued the snow. The inversion was irrelevant to them. That there were blue skies a few hundred feet higher in elevation was not important. They were experts in the art of being in the moment, and their message of courageous presence and creative acceptance drew us in. And if we paid attention, we were able to experience for a while, the potentially holy order of things and the goodness of pure being. I am grateful for the Eternal Now and for the peace/justice community in this valley, and all across this fragile and beautiful planet. May you experience a happy Thanksgiving that is firmly rooted in pure gratefulness.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Lee

Nov 29, 2005, 8:32:07 AM11/29/05
As the Lord gave manna, the blessings we receive were never intended to be hoarded, either. Somewhere in our cultures, we have lost sight of what stewardship means -- saving up huge amounts for decadent use, or investing in other peoples lives and contributing to the communion for which the Church exists. Thank-you for the Nootka story.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Helena

Nov 29, 2005, 8:39:27 AM11/29/05
I have often wondered how different our world might have been if we whites had honored the aboriginal people of our countries. Maybe our earth and our understanding of each other and our respect for each other would have enabled us to be in peace. Thank you for this. I am deeply moved and need to reflect on the words I have read.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Jason Semeniuk

Nov 29, 2005, 8:47:30 AM11/29/05
Thinking outside yourself is always the most enlightening way of thinking. You can understand anything more clearly and perceive an infinite amount of things without your ego, your preconceptions, your dispositions and predispositions, your religious, linguistic, and cultural assumptions. Outside of all these things, I think, is the pure and natural state/being that many people refer to as, the spirit, the soul, the source, or other indefinable things. This is where you remember, and easily connect with all commonality of your people, your place, your race, and all things that flow like a life stream from them. In this place, no names, no labels, no lines, no mediums for exchange are needed, or are hardly comprehensible at all. In this place, we are naturally vested at a state of peace. Now, when we have more, it becomes easier to give. Now, the ways that we are different dissolve, money becomes an intangible concept, and love is in all of our intentions. In this place, we are irrevocably, unquestionably close to god. In society, the exact same principal applies, yet where there is more wayward attributes built up outside of god, more and more intricate complexities start to take the place of what is natural, and are mistaken for life, then it becomes harder for us to start anew and connect with that pure clean slate that we, and our society, yearns for increasingly so. Jesus set the way 2005 years ago, and the way hasnt changed, it has just been cluttered, and waywardly worn it, but it still exists no less. An enlightened perspective, a much-needed change, is just a reborn perspective. This return to the source, re-birth, is something that society will twitch at if mentioned, just like if you point out a persons cluttered, self-created perceptions and flaws with gentle suggestion and support to help renew away from that, they will twitch, but cure to the virus is always there, in the hearts of each of us. We are willing to share, the rest just have to be willing to receive, and for that to happen, they must just not forget the purity of what came before our own creations...what could be versus what is, is really more a question of what has always been versus what has been created now...dont forget to remember~

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Lori

Nov 29, 2005, 9:43:22 AM11/29/05
This article adds to the shame I developed when I studied World History from 1400 to present. White people go uninvited to what they consider primative places and take over and use and mistreat the natives they consider heathens, ultimately destroying them with war and disease and then replacing their simple ways with greed and conspicuous consumption. Charity is the exception rather than the norm. We give them welfare or put them on reservations and expect them to be grateful we are allowing them space on their own land. But this didnt start in the 1400s. All throughout the Old Testament this is also going on under the apparent instruction and approval of the Lord our God. A couple of years ago I decided to read the Bible from beginning to end and I was appalled by all of the killing and terrorism done in the name of the Father. Instead of strengthening my faith it challenged it further. I was better off before I read it.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Ben Peeler

Nov 29, 2005, 10:17:37 AM11/29/05
There are two sides to every human conflict but neither are correct. This bit of history is just as much a discoloration of the truth as the white history position. Among the Indian tribes there was slaughter and warfare over lands, goods and slaves. The autrocities they committed on English settlements are as horrible as those committed against them if not worse because they involved torture. (The Indian nations even committed autrocities against each other.) Finally, are we to believe that the Indian nations never died of diseases. Certainly the white man introduced new ones but they died of diseases before the white man came. America was settled the way the whole world was settled and it all only points to the sinfulness of humankind perhaps including the Israelites. The integrity of the "pilgrim" experiment still stands as does our need for a savior.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Lisa Vaughan

Nov 29, 2005, 10:57:59 AM11/29/05
Thank you for an enlightened perspective with which to carry through this day forward.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Amy

Nov 29, 2005, 11:24:38 AM11/29/05
It does amaze me the differences in traditional perspective and native american perspective- As Americans... we often have assumed an egotistical perspective that "our way" is the "right way"... with little regard for differences- "melting pot"??? or "our way or the highway"...

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Ljeoma Ekwoaba

Nov 29, 2005, 11:38:53 AM11/29/05
The article is educative. It gives an insight into the origin of American thanksgiving. I must comment that the writer should see this occassion as period of appreciation of the mercy of God for preserving the native American, rather than a remembrance of the injustice of the pilgrims to the native. I wish more countries of the world will set out a day for everybody, irrespective of religion inclination,cultural and ethic differences to come together to give thanks to God.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Valerie Monteith

Nov 29, 2005, 2:32:17 PM11/29/05
Thank you for publishing Jacquelines view on Thanksgiving. I have often wondered for many years what was the truth, like most momenteous occasions they have often been embelished and romanticised and passed down through history. The truth should and must be told for the future generations of this small planet.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Claire

Nov 29, 2005, 3:42:46 PM11/29/05
It was good to read this article from the point of view of a Native American who tells the story in a different light. I know we owe much to the Native American Indian and its unfortunate that they werent treated as they should have been with much respect and gratitude for their help. Whenever asked to help those in need I try to give what little I can. My heart goes out to the poor ,especially the children, Native Americans or others in need.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Ninure Saunders

Nov 29, 2005, 4:32:21 PM11/29/05
Thank you...

As an African-American and, according to my Great Grandmother, one with some Native American ancestory, I have always felt ambivilent about this Holiday.

I now see it in a much better light....a light for hope.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Scott Solice

Nov 29, 2005, 6:32:11 PM11/29/05
A Thanksgiving Prayer For Peace
Father, You see our world wracked with violence and war. But You said, "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God" Innocent people all around the world are increasingly threatened by terrorist attacks. But You said: "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" You know Lord, these words have never been easy for us and seem even more difficult today. So help us today and let us give thanks and let us confess You in our lives.You have never been silent Lord, so neither will we be. Let us detest the "theology of war" emanating from the highest levels our government. Help our leaders not to confuse their roles with Yours, Father. Help us recognize the dangers of political idolatry and let us ignore their politics of fear. In this time of world chaos, help us know that we need a new confession to You, Lord. We know that Your love has no national boundaries, Lord and that those who confess Your name are found throughout the world. Help us and our leaders make our allegiance to You and let Your love take priority over the political affairs of our nation. As Christians, we accept that You command us to a strong presumption against war. Remind us, Lord, when there is war, that we have a responsibility to all its victims. Father, we know that You command us to respect all life that You command us to be pro-life not just anti-abortion. Let us seek penance for our shortcomings of compassion for the poor, indifference to poverty, capital punishment, unjust wars, and protecting the earth, which You have entrusted to us. Help us to see our own faults before we see the faults in our enemy?s eye. We know that we have all sinned and fallen short of Your glory. So Lord, help us remember that good and evil does not run between one nation and another, or one group of people and another. Help us to mend the faults in our own nation before we turn with violence on another. Help us as Christians to know that You seek the devout and humble of any faith whose religious beliefs guide their lives to You. And as Your Spirit knows no national boundaries, neither does It have boundaries of faith. Show us that peace and loving our enemy is the heart and soul of the gospel. That even while we had enemies, You still died for us. That even while we have enemies You still show us Your love. Help us to condemn war and make peacemaking central to our work in Your name. Please speak to the hearts of those responsible for the fate of these people to stop this logic of revenge and retaliation. For it is only You Lord, Who can vindicate us. We know that you have plans for peace Lord and that you will defeat the pride and arrogance of the ones who bring about unjust war. Let Your Spirit suggest new solutions that offer ways to settle this war and avoid future war by peaceful means. Let Your Spirit open a dialogue that will produce trust and a means for a lasting peace. Hear our prayer, oh Lord, no more war.... .

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Philip Sudhakar

Nov 29, 2005, 8:32:10 PM11/29/05
That was an enlightening thanksgiving. Only the People who have not done any harm to others or the nature can give a meaningful thanksgiving. Others do only lip service. We should adapt the world view of the natives so that our future will not be bleek and uncertain. This is the time to remedy all the maladies that were caused by the modern scientific world. Anchoring on the views and beliefs and lifestyles of the natives could be a very good starting point.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Ann Kroeker

Nov 29, 2005, 11:34:29 PM11/29/05
Thank you for this remarkable article. We are in the midst of only now opening our school and church door to each other, with a native people who have lived 15 min away for 100 yrs ... Likewise, I only recently heard the story of how they helped us when we arrived in this country in 1874. This article reminded me in a powerful way that we must continue on the road to reconciliation if we are to have any integrity before God.

Thanks again for sending this provocative article at your holiday time ...

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Barb

Nov 30, 2005, 12:36:44 AM11/30/05
It is a story that needs to be told, the other side of the truth. Down wind the generations have been lied to.There are people who have not been told. If we are all to heal our land and people, we must know where we are coming from so that we can all get on the same path to tomorrow.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Manda

Nov 30, 2005, 3:02:45 AM11/30/05
Thank you for sharing your loving and reconciling view of a painful history. All the best in your work!

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Susila H

Nov 30, 2005, 4:51:06 AM11/30/05
Thank you for sharing Jacqueline Keelers views on thanksgiving with people around the world (I presume Im
not the only non-US subscriber?) We all need to be reminded of the people that have been oppressed, exploited - or simply overlooked and forgotten. Dismissed in the rush towards progress. Westerners often say that being in Nepal gives them a new perspective. I hope that J.Keelers piece will do likewise.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Tonia

Nov 30, 2005, 6:32:29 AM11/30/05
One reason Im glad I homeschool my children is that I can give them a truer picture of history than I was taught. This article is one of those bits of truth. If it resonates with you at all, you may want to read a book called "Lies My Teacher Told Me". It definitely opened my eyes.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Rob Leyting

Nov 30, 2005, 11:45:00 AM11/30/05
This Thursday I felt a pilgrim too. On my way to an Anniversary I had to take a detour and take another road. When we arrived there were many speakers and one of them told us that we have not only to earn our success but also to give something in return away. Something to share with other people you dont even know. That should be the spirit of Thanks Giving and not something to take as granted for. That day I gave more than 3 Hours of traveling time away ,for a 30 minutes overwhelming speech, instead of Turkey we had Duck .The Turkeys were sent to the Homeless.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Steve W

Nov 30, 2005, 1:34:46 PM11/30/05
My comments will make it seem that Im less supportive or humbled by this article than I am, unfortunately. But this is pretty typical of short-sighted, devils-and-angels thinking that characterizes our approach to history and cultures. In its own way, its no different than the Pilgrims approach. My reading of New World cultures tells of genocide, slavery, starvation, continuing conflict, and sub-par living conditions. Please dont tell me that native cultures are somehow more pure and pure-hearted than European cultures. Easy read: this months Smithsonian.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Nov 30, 2005, 4:32:16 PM11/30/05
I was just wondering how the indigenous people must feel around the Thanksgiving holiday and this article presents at least one point of view that I would otherwise have had no exposure to. Thank you for sharing. Im glad to hear that their cultural values are so distinctly different from those of the Europeans that they were able to help the Europeans, in the true spirit of Christianity, despite the ravaging, raping, and pillaging they knew was soon to follow.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Damon

Nov 30, 2005, 6:49:33 PM11/30/05
Truth hurts but it also heals. I am sorry for what my ancestors did to you. May we all join hands this season learning from our past moving forward trusting the power of the LOVE our higher power has given us.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Tula Watters

Nov 30, 2005, 7:50:00 PM11/30/05
Very well written. Education without rancor. Subtle but clear. Dont stop your work educating the masses.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Brittany

Nov 30, 2005, 7:58:56 PM11/30/05
This really makes me think of just how different our world is today. It makes you realize that people these days are so materialistic and that it is so sad that no one can really trust just a handshake anymore. We are so scared that we will get cheated out of something that we have to have documentation of anything we ever do. Words arent accepted anymore and this article shows that its not just human nature. Native Americans are humans to. But, they are humans without sinful corruption and without demeaning ways.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Vicki

Dec 1, 2005, 12:31:58 AM12/1/05
We have much to learn from a people who lived with an abundance mentality and thought it the greatest honor to share - so many of us in the developed world live with a scarcity mentality that makes us live in fear, hoarding money and posessions.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

John Dodson

Dec 1, 2005, 5:06:28 AM12/1/05
This story needs to be told again and again and understood. I hope the day will come when there can be a real redress of wrong and a reconcilation for native people and the population as a whole. That can happen only though education and understanding. It is critical for our survival. It should be explored by journalists and others who can give it visibility. Thank you for an excllent article.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Jean-Philippe

Dec 1, 2005, 1:34:59 PM12/1/05
This story is very touching and thought provoking. Indeed it brings to surface the very issue I have been struggling with recently. Does God care for all people or does he care for the moral upbringing of mankind? These questions may seem at first ridiculous, since the scripture is full of passages advocating holiness and a morality that seems beyond our reach. However, when one reads the story about the genesis of the Israelite nation it was replete with gory violence and rituals. God himself was stated to have ordered the Israelites to commit acts of genocide on the Amalekites and the people living in the land of Canaan. Indeed these passages suggest God cared more about people obeying him at all cost rather than the moral upbringing of a people. This point is further plausible when one considers how the faith of Abraham was tested when he was ordered to sacrifice his own son.
Although scripture mentions laws that were moral for the Israelites to obey, these laws seemed to appertain only to the Israelites and the foreigners who were willing to submit to their way of life. The Israelites were not to apply these codes of conduct to the heathens, no mercy was to be shown to them. They were to be destroyed thoroughly with threats of Gods wrath to the Israelites if the order of genocide was not obeyed. Indeed it appears that God came across as a ruthless dictator, although from time to time there were interjections in these stories to exalt God as patient, merciful, slow to anger, and etc... But dictators also have laws that are moral, indeed a nation cannot survive without some basic moral laws of justice. In any case throughout history men who claim to be a people of faith had referred to these passages and similar ones to justify their acts of gross violence. Before I use to think it was out of sheer wickedness and depravity of the human heart that the words of God could have been twisted for ill gotten gain. However, after reading about the genesis of the Israelite nation, my former thought was challenged and all my ideas of a God who primarily cares of human wholesomeness in morality, virtue, and all the principles that makes life worth living, is now in disarray. Please tell me what you think.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Dr Tomislav Nastasovic

Dec 1, 2005, 3:35:10 PM12/1/05
Well?Catolic Churc did not allowed the thrye, in a middle century, that the Earth is like ball. But leather Catolic Churc allowed Sea expeditions, like Kristifor Kolumbus, Fernando Magellan, James Cook, to explore planet Earth, looking for new continents. sending Marko Polo in Asia, Catolic Churc found out that Mongolians , Chinesses, and Japanesses, the Yello Race, is preparing something like an inwasion on a planet Earth. So, Vatican ordered to Anglosacsonians and to Spanish and Portugeese to settle and sale to a continents, souch as Nord America, South America, and Australia. To be faster than Yellow Race from Asia. Anglosacsonians got Gibraltar, Souec, Iland Horn , Iland of Good Hope, Canal of Bering, and Australia and New Zealand, all that because to watch on a Sea traffic and to watch what is happening in Asia. Spanish Concwistadors and Incvisitors setteled on a place of Nordern America, but they are located on a place of Southern, Latino America, looking for a gold, but I suppose that they came to punishe Latino Americans on their very unhumah, so called their religious rituals and cerenmonies, and the Anglosacconians did the same to Nord American Indians, also the Irish and English settlers, did pounishe Australian Aborigines...I think that it is the wright explenation.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

April Johnson

Dec 1, 2005, 5:03:40 PM12/1/05
When a person gives to the bank, most likely they are thinking how it will come back only to them like in interest or how they have their account set up. A bonus you expect to happen. Thats not a bad thing because they may share with others with what they have saved and earned. Coming from Indian Cherokee roots, I believe when you give just to have the happiness in your heart to see the other person happy, theres not a better feeling. Your investment is from your spirit to another spirit which rewards the soul. Anything after that is a bonus. A bonus you dont expect to happen.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Teri Vogeli

Dec 1, 2005, 11:03:10 PM12/1/05
This article has certainly sparked a lot of response! I, too am horrified by the way one human being can treat another. This is not a new phenomenon - it began with Cain and Able, and every people, tribe, and nation is guilty. Blaming does nothing but keep bitterness alive. As for wealth, it was Gods plan for abundance to be shared, this is not an original Native American thought. Could we please stop dredging up past injustices to assuage our own guilt for current selfishness? Thank God for lessons of the past - but lets use them to "spur one another on to good deeds" not make my turkey sour in my stomach...

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Scott Lyons

Dec 2, 2005, 5:05:04 AM12/2/05
Yes, as I often remind my friends, IF we truly read and believe the Gospel, what changes might we NOT effect? Sadly, too few of us, and I include myself, are faithless in observing the dictates of our incarnate Lord. We forget that He yet lives in us, the Church, and through us, He can yet redeem Creation. Of course, the caveat remains, we must be willing laborers in the field or the work will not be done. It seems too many of us have put our hand to the plough and have looked back. This is a recipe for disaster. The horrors we have perpetrated can be reversed, but only if we are willing to live the NEW LIFE in Him. We must begin to view the Creation and our place in it through the eyes of the redeemed. Seems so simple when put this way. I pray your Thanksgiving is a time of refreshment and light. Let it be so each day.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Ceci Ramsey

Dec 2, 2005, 1:34:30 PM12/2/05
I have always been taught that it was the Indians who helped the White Man. What really hurts is that it resulted in the decimation of so many. This is really painful and shameful. Saying sorry doesnt even begin to eradicate the hatred and bigotry. And yes, I am aware, that it is on both sides. It is only looking to Jesus that we can learn to love and to give and true healing can begin. Thank you for this article.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Countee Collins

Dec 3, 2005, 2:32:03 PM12/3/05
True history is very interesting and as my grandmother often told us what you dont know can make another world. We as a world are interdependent on each other regardless of who we may be and from whence we came. My ancestors were brought here as slaves as we were told because the Indians did not make good workers. I grew up in Oklahoma became intimate with many of the people and gained a lot of respect for their ability to live fully.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Nate

Dec 3, 2005, 7:03:13 PM12/3/05
Wow. I appreciate your insight into Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm

Corliss Serka

Dec 5, 2005, 8:32:08 PM12/5/05
At first when I read Ms. Keelers letter, I had mixed reactions of anger and self defense. But then I remembered the gospel - the promise of Gods salvation through Jesus. Jesus confronted the religiously-empowered of his day by pointing out that they had built tombs for the prophets who were killed by their forefathers. Jesus told them that by building the tombs, they were approving of what their forefathers had done. While acknowledging the murder of their ancestors, they were powerless to erase that history so were drowning in guilt and legalism, and ultimately, in their blinded state, repeated the history of their ancestors. I refuse to build tombs for Native Americans - I desire to build the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth - I would only perpetuate the cycle of human nature if I were to let self-defense and guilt (temptations that need to be acknowledged and given up)take root - these are not conducive to contrition, repentance and fellowship. We are told to give up our lives in order to inherit the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth where God promises that no man is King but Him - sometimes that means giving up the hatred and division carried down by our ancestors. In doing so, it can feel as though we are betraying our families and indeed we are - we are betraying the very instruments of death which do need to be offended in order to thrive rather than just survive. It is not enough just to forgive and forget - we actively need to embrace and pursuit truth each day. Only God holds the right to righteousness and He has already said that we are all cannibals, biting and devouring one another suffering apart from Him and His ways but He does not offer punishment or reproach - He offers an invitation to salvation. Rather than perpetuate the cycle of human nature, I invite Ms. Keeler to enter into a new Kingdom (even though Cotton Mathers words were ungodly, Jesus said it is okay to take good advice from bad teachers)and help cultivate the good that her family handed down in a new Nation.

Responding to http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/keeler-thanksgiving.htm