Microsoft Readies New Browser w more Privacy Controls

Crash!

Feb 10, 2011, 8:49:35 PM2/10/11

Microsoft Readies New Browser w more Privacy Controls

Good! Ever since I switched to FF I've been missing
Netscape's cookies handlers/filters etc.

I've also noticed that MS is far safer to browse with,
(but that could just be cuz the *defaults* are stricter, and
I hardly use it, I might not be able to handle such
strict security constantly, all the time.)
Wow what a role reversal!!!

I hope now Moz will reconsider using Netscape's cookies
handlers/filters etc. The current ones are too
all-or-nothing. Either too strict, or too loose.
No doubt the Corps luvs that, since it forces
too-loose browsing. That's close to a deal-breaker.

I'm now forced to use a script blocker which is too clumsy
with too crude/course settings too.

==============
Now, Internet Explorer accounts for 56% of the market, while
Mozilla Corp.'s .....
===========

Microsoft Readies New Browser Version With More Privacy Controls
Wall Street Journal * FEBRUARY 10, 2011, 5:30 P.M. ET
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110210-719829.html

SAN FRANCISCO (Dow Jones)--Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) made an
almost-finished version of its latest Internet Explorer browser
available for download on Thursday, a move that comes as the
software giant tries to bolster its sagging position in the
software that helps users navigate the Web.

The release candidate of Internet Explorer 9, which has been in
development for over a year, takes advantage of hardware
acceleration technology to help Web pages play multimedia content
faster and more smoothly. The browser also has built-in privacy
features that allow users to more fully control which sites are
tracking their movements on the Web.

IE9, as the browser is informally known, will work only with
Microsoft's Vista and Windows 7 operating systems. A final
version of the browser is expected to be released within weeks.

The new version of Internet Explorer comes as Redmond,
Wash.-based Microsoft battles to preserve its slipping share of
the market for browsers, a software category it has historically
dominated, sometimes with a share of more than 90%. Now, Internet
Explorer accounts for 56% of the market, while Mozilla Corp.'s
Firefox has nearly 23% and Google Inc.'s (GOOG) Chrome browser
about 11%, according to Net Applications.

As with other versions of Internet Explorer, ....

...E9, which uses a new technology known as HTML5, loads and play
Web pages quickly because it takes advantage of the graphics
processing unit inside a computer, something previous browsers
didn't do. IE9 can use both the graphics processor and the
central processing unit, allowing it to render Web pages with
more speed and power.

"The more operations you can move to the GPU, the more
performance you can get from the CPU," said Rob Mauceri, a senior
engineer on the IE9 team.

The browser also addresses growing concerns over the amount of
private information that is collected each time a Web user visits
a site. Because most websites are made up of material provided
from other websites, users can end up providing their information
to scores of different companies each time they visit a page.

Some of these companies then follow users across the Web.

IE9 has an opt-in tracking protection feature that allows users
to employ lists of websites recommended for blocking. Once the
lists are installed, they are updated automatically.

The lists are provided by four partner groups: Abine Inc.,
EasyList, PrivacyChoice and TRUSTe Inc.

Microsoft shares, which trade roughly where they did a decade
ago, fell 1.7% to $27.50 in Thursday trading.

-By Andrew Morse, Dow Jones Newswires; 415-439-6402;
andrew...@dowjones.com

===========
IE9 »
SanDiego.co...
Microsoft sends IE9 'do-not-track' tech to W3C
Register - 23 minutes ago

Microsoft has submitted its "do not track" browser technology to
the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) for adoption as a industry
standard.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/11/ie9_privacy_controls_web_standard/

The software giant's Tracking Protection technology – unveiled in
December and due in the next version of Internet Explorer – is
designed to let users of IE decide what information advertisers
are allowed to learn about them during web browsing and internet
searches.