upgrade to what? ...Firefox or SeaMonkey ???

1 view

Crash

Dec 1, 2008, 11:14:12 AM12/1/08

On Wed, 14 May 2008, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo said about:
Re: Use of alternate e-mail port (995 instead of 110)...

> James wrote:
..........snip

> forget about Netscape 7.2. Its a dead issue. Netscape has
> stopped all developement of Netscape products.

I've been thinking along those lines too.
I use Netscape 7.2, mostly for browsing,
and very rarly, its Composer.
(For html editors I prefer the older ones
since they make simpler code, closer to the
old by-hand editing, so I may keep the old
one anyway. ...in fact I use the Eudora emailer
for most of my html stuff.)

I've been thinking Firefox.
Now I hear about SeaMonkey ???

Not really been paying attention, so in my mind,
firefox is similar to SeaMonkey in it's cultural
history and so forth as described by Purple Hippo
below. ...both made by old Netscape diehards.
I just peek in every few months....

What's the difference in performance and other
key items such as staying abreast of the new
coding and technology?

> The future
> is a program called SeaMonkey.
>
> I'll tell you the quick story about this: Net 7.2 is based
> on a program called Mozilla Suite 1.7.2. Net 7.2 stopped
> being developed, and Moz Suite went on to 1.7.13. Then the
> Moz people stopped that program, too.

Aren't the Mozilla people doing firefox now?

> However, some die
> hard fans and developers didn't want the Suite program to
> die a slow death, so they came out with a program called
> SeaMonkey. SM picks up where Moz Suite left off.
> Basically, Net 7.2 and SM are the same program, except Net
> has all the AOL/Netscape addons.

I like that, I used to run Netscape Compact, but
I had to upgrade out of it...didn't know of
a similar product.

> Whatever you can do in Net
> 7.2, you can do in SeaMonkey. SM contains more bug and
> security fixes than Net 7.2. http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

Well, due some problems (as noted in part in a post above)
I'm thinking I need an upgrade, not the same.
(But I don't do upgrades until forced into them.)

> Now, which ever you use, both programs when installed should
> automatically import all your Net 4.x messages without
> problems. If it doesn't, then don't worry, you can manually
> move them without problems either.

...and firefox will not??

Thanks!

--

When one gains a political certainty akin to
a loyal sports fan, one has achieved the final

"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude better than
the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that ye were
our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams, August 1, 1776