upgrade email to sea monkey or ??.

Dec 17, 2008, 5:17:35 PM12/17/08
I am using netscape 7.2 want or everyone tells me to upgrade.  Basically use netscape for email and IE for Web browsing.  I understand that if I install Sea monkey that existing  email and address will be transferred to seamonkey. That seems attractive to be but I am not very knowledgeable since what I think may not be the case.  Words of wisdom please.  OS will be 98SE looking at buying a used computer to run XP.
Thanks
lc.vcf

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Dec 20, 2008, 10:40:56 PM12/20/08

please disable you vcard within newsgroups. Thanks

As for Netscape 7.2 and SeaMonkey. The two programs
are vertially the same, so when you install SM, it will
pick up and start using the Netscape profile. You
won't notice much of a difference, and there isn't any
learning curve. If you're using IE for browsing, then
why don't you install Thunderbird for email? TB should
automatically transfer all your mail from Netscape.

Just a note: The newer versions of SeaMonkey 2 or
Thunderbird 3 won't run on win98.

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Dec 22, 2008, 10:28:19 PM12/22/08
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> L wrote:
>
>> I am using netscape 7.2 want or everyone tells me to upgrade.
>> Basically use netscape for email and IE for Web browsing. I
>> understand that if I install Sea monkey that existing email and
>> address will be transferred to seamonkey. That seems attractive to be
>> but I am not very knowledgeable since what I think may not be the
>> case. Words of wisdom please. OS will be 98SE looking at buying a
>> used computer to run XP.
>> Thanks
>

> please disable you vcard within newsgroups. Thanks
>
> As for Netscape 7.2 and SeaMonkey. The two programs are vertially the
> same, so when you install SM, it will pick up and start using the
> Netscape profile. You won't notice much of a difference, and there
> isn't any learning curve. If you're using IE for browsing, then why
> don't you install Thunderbird for email? TB should automatically
> transfer all your mail from Netscape.
>
> Just a note: The newer versions of SeaMonkey 2 or Thunderbird 3 won't
> run on win98.

Thanks for your reply it is helpfull. Yet, why would I upgrade to Sea
Monkey if its the same as NS 7.2. I do have version 1.1.11 of Sea Monkey
and thanks for the warning on version. Clearly, the e mail and browser
area I have negelected for a while.!!

I also assume you were saying just make Sea Monkey my preferred mail
program in IE.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Dec 23, 2008, 12:49:59 AM12/23/08

if all you're using Net 7.2 is for the mail, then don't
bother upgrading. Stick with 7.2. Heck, there are
still some that are using Net 4.x for mail. SM1.x is a
continuation of Net 7.2, but it includes more bug fixes
and security updates.

However, if you're using Net 7.2 for mail AND browsing,
then I would suggest upgrading to SM. Its far for
secure that 7.2 is.

If you want just an email program, then I would suggest
either staying with Net 7.2, or going with Thunderbird.
TB is a branch from Net 7.2, but its only an email
program.