January 2024 MBR The Library CD Shelf

Midwest Book Review

Feb 1, 2024, 2:14:46 AMFeb 1
The Library CD Shelf

A Message From the Flying Horse Big Band
The Flying Horse Big Band
Flying Horse Records
flyinghorserecords.com
$TBA CD / $9.49 MP3

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CN1SBJPR

A Message From the Flying Horse Big Band is the eighth album from the Flying Horse Big Band - a grand ensemble of talented performers on saxophones, trumpets/flugelhorns, trombones, and rhythm instruments - created in tribute of the legendary American group, The Jazz Messengers (which formed in the 1950s and lasted over thirty-five years as a collective). Individual songs are composed by Horace Silver, Benny Golson, Wayne Shorter, Cedar Walton, and Hank Mobley; former member of the Jazz Messengers Michael Mossman personally arranged the tracks "Free for All" and "Gregory is Here". An homage to American jazz history as well as a rollicking great time, A Message From the Flying Horse Big Band is highly recommended for both personal and public library music collections. The tracks are Free For All, Hipsippy Blues, Room 608, This Is For Albert, Mosaic, Peace, Gregory Is Here, Lester Left Town, Whisper Not, and On the Ginza.

And I Love You So
Barbara Fairchild
Country Rewind Records
www.countryrewind.com
$10.98 CD / $9.49 MP3

https://www.amazon.com/I-Love-You-So/dp/B0BVJ4LWM5

Legendary American country and gospel singer Barbara Fairchild presents And I Love You So, an album featuring songs never before released commercially, including two Don McLean songs. Barbara's dulcet voice is supported by talented musicians whose contributions have been added to the original recordings. And I Love You So is a treasure for connoisseurs, a choice pick for public library music collections, and makes a wonderful Valentine's Day gift! The tracks are A Girl Who'll Satisfy Her Man; Teddy Bear Song; Behind Closed Doors; I'm Gonna Write; Kid Stuff; And I Love You So; Vincent (Starry, Starry Night); I Really Don't Want To Know; One Of Those Songs; Satin Sheets; You Always Come Back (To Hurting Me); Color My World; Why Me, Lord; and Roll In My Sweet Baby's Arms.

Douce France Sweet France
Margot Sergent
margotsergent.com
Zoho Music
$16.99 CD / $9.49 MP3

https://www.amazon.com/Douce-France-Sweet-Margot-Sergent/dp/B0CHWLJ3Z6

New York-based French jazz singer Margot Sergent presents Douce France Sweet France, a beautiful mix of classic French chansons and American jazz. Margot sings dulcet vocals while playing the harp, and various songs also feature Patrick Brennan on guitar, Alec Safy on bass, Linus Wyrsch on clarinet, Ben Silashi on drums, and Vitor Goncalves on accordion. Douce France Sweet France is a treasure for connoisseurs of jazz music and French culture, highly recommended. The tracks are Keep the Moon In Mind, Douce France, The Apartment Next Door, I Wish You Love, Little Miracle, La Boheme, Dans Tes Bras Mon Ange, La Rua Madureira, Silent Steps, L'Hymne a l'Amour, and Saudade.

Gabriella
Miguel Espinoza Fusion with Howard Levy
miguelespinozafusion.com
Privately Published
$TBA CD / $18.00 digital

https://miguelespinozaflamencofusion1.bandcamp.com/album/gabriella

Miguel Espinoza on guitar, Dianne Betkowski on cello, and Randy Hoepker on bass form the core of Miguel Espinoza Fusion, a band that draws upon the traditions of flamenco, classical music, jazz, North African rhythms, and more. Their fourth full-length album is Gabriella, a collection of ten original songs with world-spanning influences from Afro-Cuban to Moroccan and Celtic traditions. Collaborations with Grammy winners Howard Levy and David Balakrishnan round out this extraordinary, eclectic work highly recommended especially for world music collections. The tracks are Gabriella, Joy, Howard's Tune, Rune, Whistlin' Down The Street, Buleria Esta Antiqua, Mermaid, Hudson Avenue, La Lluvia, and Barrio Latino.

Canto
Susan Alcorn and Septeto del Sur
susanalcorn.net
Relative Pitch Records
$TBA CD / $12.00 digital

https://susanalcorn1.bandcamp.com/album/canto

Pedal steel guitar virtuoso Susan Alcon and Chilean folk music ensemble Septeto del Sur present Canto, a "nuevo cancion" (socially aware folk) collection. The Spanish-language lyrics speak of deadly serious violations of human rights, including how Pinochet's security forces notoriously made people "disappear" without a trace. Other tracks honor Chilean improviser and former political prisoner Lukax Santana, and the late Argentine folk singer known as "La Negra". Canto is beautiful, serious, soulful, and ultimately an album of hope for a better tomorrow in spite of the tragedies and horrors of the past. Highly recommended. The tracks are Suite Para Todos, Canto I. Donde Estan?, Canto II. Presente: Sueno de Luna Azul, Mercedes Sosa, and El Derecho de Vivir en Paz.

It's Not Over
Kelly Garner
kellygarner.com
Kelly Garner Endeavors
$22.00 CD / $8.99 MP3

https://www.kellygarner.com/product-page/it-s-not-over-cd

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C25SGKDJ

Kelly Garner presents It's Not Over, a resonant gospel album showcasing her faith and her extraordinary talent. Themes of love, forgiveness, worship and reverence for God and Jesus Christ make It's Not Over a choice pick for both personal and church music collections. Highly recommended! The tracks are Good Ole Gospel Sing, Waymaker, It's Not Over, My God Is Still Good, It's My Desire, The Day I Get Home, Testimony, The Risen Lamb, Precious Lord, I Will Not Hope in Something Less, Revelation Song, When I Call On The Name of the Lord, The Goodness of God, and Forgive Myself.

EDITOR'S NOTE:

The Midwest Book Review is an organization of volunteers committed to promoting literacy, library usage, and small press publishing. We accept no funds from authors or publishers. Full permission is given to post any of these reviews on thematically appropriate websites, newsgroups, listserves, internet discussion groups, organizational newsletters, or to interested individuals. Please give the Midwest Book Review a credit line when doing so.

The Midwest Book Review publishes the monthly book review magazines "California Bookwatch", "Internet Bookwatch", "Children's Bookwatch", "MBR Bookwatch", "Reviewer's Bookwatch", and "Small Press Bookwatch". All are available for free on the Midwest Book Review website at www (dot) midwestbookreview (dot) com

Anyone wanting to submit books for review consideration can send them to:

James A. Cox, Editor-in-Chief
Midwest Book Review
278 Orchard Drive
Oregon, WI 53575-1129

To submit reviews of any fiction or non-fiction books, email them to Frugalmuse (at) aol (dot) com (Be sure to include the book title, author, publisher, publisher address, publisher website/phone number, 13-digit ISBN number, and list price).

James A. Cox, Editor-in-Chief
Midwest Book Review