Re: Good riddance to a rotten left-wing American

1 view

Byker

Aug 6, 2021, 2:48:54 PMAug 6
"Gregory Carr" wrote in message
news:23c5a881-c304-43e4...@googlegroups.com...

On Wednesday, 4 August 2021 at 16:37:44 UTC-7, Byker wrote:
>> "Gregory Carr" wrote in message
>> >
>> > She has lung cancer despite never having smoked.
>> Must be the fault of "second-hand smoke".
>> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathy_Griffin Don't know the woman is she
>> > somehow related to Rick Griffin of Family Guy
>> Or the Rick Griffin of psychedelic art fame, who spent three days on acid
>> doing the album cover for Steppenwolf's "Monster" LP (1969):
>> http://www.flickriver.com/photos/bradley_loos/318753956/#large
>
> Neat. That is a very monster album cover.

I remember buying "Sookie Sookie" as a 45 single in the spring of '68. My
folks abhorred it, considering it "too suggestive."

Trivia: The first time I heard "Monster" was in American Government class in
high school (!). The teacher asked if anyone in the class had a copy of
"Monster" so we could listen to the lyrics. The next day a student brought
in his Akai reel-to-reel (remember those?) and we listened to the song's
message. After coming home I told my folks, "Mr. Baldwin said we should
listen to this song," and they so gave me five bucks to buy the record.

The words are truer now than they were during the Vietnam era:
https://tinyurl.com/pa2xkfws

"The cities have turned into jungles
And corruption is stranglin' the land
The police force is watching the people
And the people just can't understand
We don't know how to mind our own business
'Cause the whole world's got to be just like us
Now we are fighting a war over there
No matter who's the winner we can't pay the cost"