July 2022 MBR The Library CD Shelf

Midwest Book Review

Jul 31, 2022, 6:58:59 PM7/31/22
The Library CD Shelf

Envolee
Ariane Racicot
www.arianeracicot.com
Canada Council for the Arts
$20.00 CAD CD / $10.00 CAD digital

https://arianeracicot.bandcamp.com/album/envol-e

Montreal pianist and composer Ariane Racicot presents her debut album Envolee, featuring five original compositions that draw upon a wide range of jazz piano styles. Antoine Rochefort on electric bass, Guillaume Picard on drums, and Martin Plante on drums contribute their talents to heighten the intensity and rhythm of the evocative, genre-bending music pieces. Envolee is a choice pick for both personal and public library collections, highly recommended. The tracks are Vertige, Coffee and Cigarettes, Bicycle Ride, Crepuscule, and A ciel ouvert.

Fray
Queen Kong
www.queenkongtoronto.com
Canada Council for the Arts
https://queenkong1.bandcamp.com/album/fray
$15.00 CAD digital

https://queenkong1.bandcamp.com/album/fray

Fray is the debut album of the Toronto-based band of klezmorim (Jewish folk music performers) Queen Kong, led by drummer and composer Lorie Wolf, and featuring Michael Winograd on clarinet, Max Forster on trumpet and electronics, Nathan Dell-Vandenburg on trombone, Tom Richards on sousaphone, Graham Campbell on guitar, Beth Silver on cello, and Jaron Freeman-Fox on violin. The ten original songs is an adventure in creative use of metering, and a confluence of myriad musical styles fused into a klezmer celebration. Fray is a welcome addition to multicultural music collections, highly recommended for klezmer connoisseurs and public libraries. The tracks are Kavod-19, Bethema, Let Me Take My Time, If/Then, Kaddish for Jonny, East 3rd and C, Di Zun Vet Aruntergyn, Pirate Max, NBK, Kaddish for Jonny II, and Moshi.

Calling You From My Mountain
Peter Rowan
www.peter-rowan.com
Rebel Records
www.rebelrecords.com
$14.98 CD / $8.99 MP3

https://www.amazon.com/Calling-You-Mountain-Peter-Rowan/dp/B09X73PQXB

GRAMMY-award winning artist Peter Rowan presents Calling You From My Mountain, an album showcasing his acoustic guitar music and folksy vocals. The songs cross genre boundaries from bluegrass and Americana to country rock, jazz, reggae, and more. Calling You From My Mountain is a treasure for acoustic guitar connoisseurs, a choice pick for public library music collections, and also makes an excellent gift. Highly recommended! The tracks are New York Town, Veil of Deja Blue, Come Along Jody, Little Joe, The Song That Made Hank Williams Dance, A Winning Hand, From My Mountain (Calling You), Frog on the Lilly Pad, The Red The White and the Blue, Light at the End of the World, Penitentiary Blues (Big Brazos), Dream of Heaven, and Freedom Trilogy.

Breaking News
Clinton Fearon
Boogie Brown Productions
$TBA CD / $9.49 MP3

https://www.amazon.com/Breaking-News/dp/B09ZYDCWBW

Breaking News is an original, full-length album by reggae master Clinton Fearon, composed during the COVID-19 pandemic. The lyrics stress the need for common sense and compassion, and the music conveys the beating of a steady heart and the strength of the soul in trying times. Profound and emotionally moving, Breaking News is highly recommended not only for reggae connoisseurs, but also for anyone in need of the supportive power of quality music. The tracks are Breaking News, Don't Dump it, Social Unrest, New Chapter, Have Some Fun, Sweet Morning Sun, Brace Yourself, I Wanna Dance, Trod On, I Am Thankful, and Unbeatable Dub.

Epistle
Jacob Chung
jacobchungmusic.com
Three Pines Records
threepinesrecords.ca
$10.00 CAD digital

https://jacobchung.bandcamp.com/album/epistle

Toronto saxophonist/composer Jacob Chung (b. 2000) presents his debut release Epistle, an original music album written for quintet performance. Christian Antonacci on trumpet, Felix Fox-Pappas on piano, Thomas Hainbuch on bass, and Petros Anagnostakos on drums contribute their talent to this swinging, energetic Canadian jazz delight, highly recommended especially for connoisseurs of the genre. The tracks are Triage, Bouncin' at Bonafide, Epistle I: Conviction/II; Justification, Epistle III: Sanctification, Epistle IV: Glorification, and Sizzler Kebab.

Into Another Land
Shiri Zorn, George Muscatello, and Mauricio Zottarelli
www.shirizorn.com
Privately Published
$TBA

https://shirizorn.hearnow.com

Into Another Land is a beautiful music album featuring Shiri Zorn's soul-stirring vocals, George Muscatello on guitar, and Mauricio Zottarelli on percussion. Eight songs, two of them original compositions, push the boundaries of jazz to explore contemplations on life, love, and the beauty of the fleeting moment. Into Another Land is a joy to experience, highly recommended. The tracks are Witch Touch, How Deep is the Ocean, Zingaro, Beautiful Love, I Wasn't Ready, vivo Sonhando, Willow Weep for Me, and Detour Ahead.

EDITOR'S NOTE:

The Midwest Book Review is an organization of volunteers committed to promoting literacy, library usage, and small press publishing. We accept no funds from authors or publishers. Full permission is given to post any of these reviews on thematically appropriate websites, newsgroups, listserves, internet discussion groups, organizational newsletters, or to interested individuals. Please give the Midwest Book Review a credit line when doing so.

The Midwest Book Review publishes the monthly book review magazines "California Bookwatch", "Internet Bookwatch", "Children's Bookwatch", "MBR Bookwatch", "Reviewer's Bookwatch", and "Small Press Bookwatch". All are available for free on the Midwest Book Review website at www (dot) midwestbookreview (dot) com

Anyone wanting to submit books for review consideration can send them to:

James A. Cox, Editor-in-Chief
Midwest Book Review
278 Orchard Drive
Oregon, WI 53575-1129

To submit reviews of any fiction or non-fiction books, email them to Frugalmuse (at) aol (dot) com (Be sure to include the book title, author, publisher, publisher address, publisher website/phone number, 13-digit ISBN number, and list price).

James A. Cox, Editor-in-Chief
Midwest Book Review