WZ on "Jeopardy!"

lpfeffa

Dec 29, 2011, 8:03:10 AM12/29/11
The category was, of course, "Monsters of Rock" and the $600
answer mentioned Warren Zevon, perfect hair and
pina-coladas. The question, naturally, was "What is
'Werewolves Of London'?"

Nobody howled.

I think WZ would have been quite proud. In my mind, it's
better than the RnRHoF. hahaha.

jessk...@lyc0s.c0m

Dec 30, 2011, 11:15:02 AM12/30/11
On 12/29/2011 8:03 AM, lpfeffa wrote:

> I think WZ would have been quite proud. In my mind, it's better than the
> RnRHoF. hahaha.

Entry into the Hall, OTOH, apparently is more impressive to an artist's
accountant (and ex-wives, etc.)

"Weekly record sales for a performer or band leap 40 to 60 percent, on
average, in the weeks after selection, says David Bakula, a senior vice
president at Nielsen SoundScan....Sales of Fleetwood Mac albums jumped
to 3.2 million in 1998, when that band was inducted, from 483,000 in
1997, according to SoundScan."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/business/in-rock-hall-of-fame-vote-a-battle-of-industry-egos.html?pagewanted=all

jrroland

Dec 30, 2011, 7:22:56 PM12/30/11
> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/business/in-rock-hall-of-fame-vote-...

Thanks for the link to that article, very interesting.

Although I don't think it is accurate in the Fleetwood Mac numbers
excerpted above. Their cd "The Dance" was released in August of 1997
and debuted on the Billboard Top 200 at #1 on September 6, 1997. The
total sales for that cd are over 5 million so I find it a bit hard to
believe that it sold less than 500k before the end of 1997 not even
counting sales of other albums.

This wouldn't be the first time the NY Times has made up the news.

It is also of note to see that Jon Landau is the chairperson of the
nominating committee. With all of the positive things he has had to
say about WZ it is odd that his name never appears for nomination.

Jim