A double snub

Chuck Finley

Sep 14, 2011, 1:27:21 PM9/14/11
So this article lists musicians/bands snubbed by the Rock and Roll Hall of
Fame, and Warren doesn't even make THAT list.

http://www.life.com/gallery/23273/rock-hall-of-fame-10-huge-snubs?xid=outbrain#index/0

Tim Howard

Sep 15, 2011, 12:21:12 AM9/15/11
He was one of the best musicians of the last 35 years. He certainly
should be in the HOF. Some people who are not rock 'n roll and in the
HOF should not be. Most of the acts on that top 10 list do not belong
there either.

Joanne Corsano

Sep 16, 2011, 7:04:08 PM9/16/11
Well, the person who wrote the article apparently thinks that Journey
and Duran Duran belong in the R+RHoF. Now, I like Duran Duran just
fine (can't STAND Journey), but they're simply not HoF material (imo).
Warren Zevon, as a songwriter, musician and vocalist, is simply in a
different league (much higher quality ... therefore less popular ...
therefore less likely to be inducted).

If Zevon wasn't inducted around the time of his death, when his
notoriety was at its highest, he won't be now. That's just the way it
is.

Joanne

Chuck Finley

Sep 17, 2011, 2:40:31 PM9/17/11
> If Zevon wasn't inducted around the time of his death, when his
notoriety was at its highest, he won't be now. That's just the way it
is.

Well, I hope Bruce Hornsby makes it in.

jessk...@lyc0s.c0m

Sep 18, 2011, 7:52:07 AM9/18/11
Of those 10 noted in that article (of which I can't find the original
date of publication) both Tom Waits and Alice Cooper were inducted into
the RnRHoF in 2011 http://rockhall.com/inductees/ceremonies/2011/ , so
perhaps Warren can be bumped up into that Top Ten now.

Altho', as others in this thread have noted, I don't know if I'd want to
put Zevon in the same (decidedly "minor") league of some of those acts...

I'd say, at this point, does it really matter? I suppose it does, since
this subject seems to be the only one that'll get more than one or two
this year and the post titled "Things to Do in Cleveland when you're
dead" it seems I drove poor Howard away - again. Oh, well...).

Joanne Corsano

Sep 21, 2011, 5:37:35 PM9/21/11
>I'd say, at this point, does it really matter? I suppose it does, since
>this subject seems to be the only one that'll get more than one or two
>this year and the post titled "Things to Do in Cleveland when you're
>dead" it seems I drove poor Howard away - again. Oh, well...).

Howard pops in occasionally -- VERY occasionally -- he just can't help
himself. I miss the old days when this newsgroup was an active place,
and his articulate and thoughtful posts on all things Zevon were
always so interesting.

Tim Howard

Sep 23, 2011, 1:21:15 AM9/23/11
On 9/18/2011 4:52 AM, jessk...@LYC0S.C0M wrote:
> On 9/14/2011 1:27 PM, Chuck Finley wrote:
>> So this article lists musicians/bands snubbed by the Rock and Roll Hall
>> of Fame, and Warren doesn't even make THAT list.
>>
>> http://www.life.com/gallery/23273/rock-hall-of-fame-10-huge-snubs?xid=outbrain#index/0
>>

> Of those 10 noted in that article (of which I can't find the original
> date of publication) both Tom Waits and Alice Cooper were inducted into
> the RnRHoF in 2011 http://rockhall.com/inductees/ceremonies/2011/ , so
> perhaps Warren can be bumped up into that Top Ten now.
>
> Altho', as others in this thread have noted, I don't know if I'd want to
> put Zevon in the same (decidedly "minor") league of some of those acts...

Richard Hell once said "The rock and roll industry are a bunch of
baloney salesmen. I don't want to be in the baloney hall of fame."

Howard Roseman

Sep 25, 2011, 2:42:58 PM9/25/11

"Joanne Corsano" wrote in message

> Howard pops in occasionally -- VERY occasionally -- he just can't help
himself. I miss the old days when this newsgroup was an active place,
and his articulate and thoughtful posts on all things Zevon were
always so interesting.

> Joanne

Well thanks, Joanne, back at you! I remember several years ago initiating a
Zevon "Song of the Week" thread and your responses invariably were the best
thing about it--true synergy in action. But you're right, the heyday of this
group was arguably 10 years ago now, and that's gone forever. I had an
unsettling experience in the car the other day. Half listening to The Loft
on XM hosted by Zevon friend Mike Marrone, my attention was grabbed by
something vaguely familiar. It was Warren singing Ain't That Pretty At All.
But to my 2011 mind it felt almost like I was hearing it for the first
time. If it doesn't kill you, life just goes on.

Btw, Mike followed that song with one of the Dylan live covers of Mutineer.
How great was that, the four different Zevon songs Dylan put into his set
list on his 2002 tour. We know that Warren himself was immensely
complimented by it.

Chuck Finley

Oct 23, 2011, 2:21:41 PM10/23/11
> Richard Hell once said "The rock and roll industry are a bunch of baloney
> salesmen. I don't want to be in the baloney hall of fame."

From the Oct. 20, 2011, New York Times profile of Tom Waits:

This year Mr. Waits was inaugurated into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame,
where he told the black-tie music-business crowd, “They say I have no hits
and I’m difficult to work with, and they say that like it’s a bad thing.”
Now he said, “The only thing worse than being in the Hall of Fame is not
being in the Hall of Fame.”