Uncut Magazine Uk November issue

1 view

Paul Wilson

Oct 11, 2003, 5:50:16 AM10/11/03
I think that someone mentioned that this issue had a cover cd which
contained Porcelain Monkey. (The Cd contents were chosen by REM).

There is also a good article by Allan Jones the editor. He starts off
by saying that he initially regarded WZ as "part of the discredited
west coast scene" and how he then talks to Peter Buck before the
making of SH. He says all this to PB who just tells him "listen to the
f****** records and get back to me"

Allan then details his discovery of all Warren's music and it's a good
article.

Worth getting

Paul

Helen Cushion

Oct 11, 2003, 7:49:13 AM10/11/03
Also the November issue of UK magazine "Word" has a article about WZ by
director/founder David Hepworth. It says he was about to review "The Wind"
when news of Zevon's death came through, so the article is in the reviews
section of the magazine although it's more of an overview of WZ's life and
work.

His favourite album is "Learning To Flinch" and he also recommends "I'll
Sleep When I'm Dead".

A couple of quotes:

"try imagining the best tunes of The Eagles rescripted by Tom Waits and
delivered by Bruce Springsteen."

"beneath their Golden State polish these records are as tough as teak, with
a swagger imparted by as good a phrasemaker as ever made rock and roll
records."

The article ends:

"Before he was 30 he boasted "I'm drinking heartbreak motor oil and Bombay
gin/I'll sleep when I'm dead".

Charge your glasses."

I'd recommend this magazine any time for good writing on music (mostly),
books, TV & film. Hepworth & editor Mark Ellen go back a long way, having
previously started "Q" and "Mojo" magazines. The current issue also has an
article on Johnny Cash and a piece by the producer of "Later With Jools
Holland".

Helen.

"Paul Wilson" <paul...@hotmail.com> wrote in message