If Yngwie sees this article, he's going to unleash the "focking" fury!!!!

Charles J. Gillespie VI

Dec 21, 2003, 4:54:21 PM12/21/03
Guitar virtuoso Steve Vai recently spoke to Rock Confidential about the
G3 '03 tour with Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Satriani. Asked for his opinion
of Yngwie's attitude on stage, especially during the jam at the end
(where Malmsteen reportedly seemed to push everyone into the background
and just keep on playing), Steve said, "I know Yngwie and I know how
intense he is. Yngwie doesn't compromise. There are no excuses. He plays
the way he feels is appropriate for him. He's got a lot of energy and a
lot of passion. When you're going to work with someone like Yngwie you've
gotta know this and you've gotta let them just cut loose and do his
thing, you know? Some nights it was more than others. When you accept
that you can enjoy it. The jam at the end, everybody knows what's going
on. You let him do his thing and there are a lot of people that find it
very entertaining and very cool. Some people find it a little
distracting. Joe and I are very confident in what we do. How are you
going to compete with Joe Satriani, you know? You just don't. It's the
same thing when I get up there to play. I've got Yngwie to the left of me
and Joe to the right and we're trading riffs and it's my turn! (laughs)
You don't compete with these guys. They help you to bring out in you your
potential, because that's what they're doing. You're pushing them, also.
For me to get up there during the trades and try to be like Yngwie, I
would get mowed down. (laughs) And, it would look stupid. I'm fiercely
confident in the way I play and the kind of music I make. Nothing can
distract me. I say that, but I'm sure there's something. (laughs) There
could be a lot of naked girls on stage dancing. I guess that would be a
distraction! (laughs)"

Barb

Dec 29, 2003, 12:30:35 AM12/29/03
I dont think Yngwie would be mad a this.. its true. Did you see the show?

"Charles J. Gillespie VI" <ni...@tunisia.com> wrote in message

Jimbob

Dec 30, 2003, 12:49:14 PM12/30/03
I saw the show in Denver. Maybe it was because they were videotaping Yngwie
for a DVD that night. But each guitarist played with their own bands for a
while besides the "trio" thing. Did they do that elsewhere? Vai was honest,
fair and forthright in his statement. Yngwie cant afford to get anymore
seperatist than he already is by arguing differently. He did put on a
non-static show though. If he is going to continue flicking dozens of guitar
picks, he keep in mind to do so to a different part of the audience than only
his near right side.

Joe La Banco

Jan 3, 2004, 4:30:48 PM1/3/04
Hey Barb, how ya been? Yeah, I also fail to see anything about this that
would piss Yngwie off...I think Vai's got the right attitude about it. I
saw the Chicago show and that was Steve's attitude there too. I'm not
saying there was, but if there was any attitude problem it would've been
Satriani, having himself mixed way louder than Yngwie or Steve all
night. I would've attributed that to the soundman that night, but I read
a million reports on shows from other cities and that seemed to be the
case every night...but no matter, it was great and all 3 guys showed
mutual respect and played great together. Yngwie's show was
mind-boggling, Steve's was great and ethereal, and Joe's was very good,
maybe slightly boring at times. It was in the jam at the end that the
volume discrepancy showed most. Yngwie was hamming it up of course, but
I think by this time he had begun to tone it down a bit and play more
supportive when Steve and Joe were playing.
~ J ~

barbs...@comcast.net (Barb)

I dont think Yngwie would be mad a this.. its true. Did you see the
show?

"Charles J. Gillespie VI"

Barb

Jan 4, 2004, 2:00:11 PM1/4/04
Hey Joe!!! I remember you! I'm baaaack! I'm actually more active in
alt.guitar. What happened to this NG??? It was pretty wild there for a
while. Anyway... what you are saying about the Chicago show was basically
the thing in Detroit as well. Yngwie is just a ham and its not like Vai and
Satch didn't know this. And its not like Yngwie doesn't know this. He's
the one doing the talking. I think Yngwie should have been more supportive
though because Vai and Satch were off to the side jamming sometimes and
Yngwie was doing his thing and it never seemed like they all three were
trying to do something complimentary with each other. Vai and Satch have
their click and the third guy seems like he's the new friend. Ever do that?
When I saw the first G3 with Johnson he was sort of the shy kid that went
along with the crowd almost that had talent, but not as much flash. I
didn't get to see Petrucci and I kick myself in the butt every day for it!
Did you happen to see that one? Was Petrucci right up with them there or
was he like the lone guitar ranger too?

Barb

"Joe La Banco" <fret...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Joe La Banco

Jan 7, 2004, 5:50:30 AM1/7/04
Hey Barb :-)

Maybe the vibe was slightly different in Chicago, it seemed like Yngwie
was listening to Vai & Satch while they were soloing and he was actually
playing pretty supportively while still somehow managing to ham away and
hog the stage. lol ...but I still enjoyed each guy's individual set much
more than the jam at the end. That almost seemed perfunctory.

Yngwie's set was really hot, it's a shame many people didn't show up
until he was done - the people that were there were blown away, whether
they admit it later or not. I've read comments to the effect that Yngwie
didn't play a single whole tune, I think they were missing the point -
it was a tight medley of tunes, which I think was the best thing to do
with only 45 minutes to work with. His playing was intense fire, one of
the better times I've seen him out of about 13 shows. As I said, I loved
Vai's set and liked Joe's a lot too.

Ahhhh - I'm afraid that was the one and only G3 show I've seen! So I
can't offer any opinion on them. I haven't even seen any of them on
video, I'd love to see 'em all tho!

Oh well, I need zzZZZzzzz's, yap@ya...
~ J ~

barbs...@comcast.net (Barb)

Barb

Jan 7, 2004, 11:45:05 PM1/7/04
I always prefer to see Yngwie totally instrumental. I don't care for the
singing.. I dont see an Yngwie show for the singer.

"Joe La Banco" <fret...@webtv.net> wrote in message

leif.h...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2018, 5:03:37 PM4/15/18