Deborah Anderson's song?

giottolady

Jan 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/30/98

Yesterday I ran across a 1997 UK import EP that consisted of five
versions of the song "Lonely Without You". The artist was billed as
Deborah Anderson (with Tony Economides). Is this Jon's daughter? If
so, is she actually having success as a solo artist?

The Giotto Lady

qoquaq

Jan 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/30/98

In article <34d429ae...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>, giottolady
<giot...@ix.netcom.com> writes

Yes, it is her. The following is reprinted without permission from
Mixmag October 1997:

Deborah Anderson
Prog sprog turns jungle explorer

The crisp, melancholy drum n' bass of Deborah Anderson's debut single,
'Lonely Without You', might sound like the perfect complement for her
distinctive vocals, but not so long ago she was well on her way down a
different career path. Living in Los Angeles with her father, Jon
Anderson of 70s prog rockers Yes, Deborah was singing with him on tour
("cheap labour"), acting in plays and writing songs for forgettable
straight-to-video films ("stuff I hope never to see"). Fortunately, her
introduction to jungle came just at the right time. Suitably enough in
the, er, jungle.
"I was travelling in the jungle and I hitched a ride on a Winnebago,"
Anderson explains in the transatlantic tones of the well-travelled.
"There were musicians all over it so I got inside and Alex Reece was
sitting in the back. It's a good story isn't it? It's boring saying I
met him in Clapham or somewhere."
The result of this chance encounter was 'Feel The Sunshine', where
Anderson's blissful voice helped give Reece his breakthrough single and
pricked the ears of MoWax's James Lavelle. Working on blending her new
love for drum n' bass with her passion for South American music, she's
found time to sing on DJ Krush's 'Skin On Skin', one of the highlights
of his 'Milight' LP.
Now DJ Shadow is just one of the producers to offer their services for
her own album, and her general euphoria suggests things are going very
well indeed. Now if it wasn't for those pesky Bjork comparisons that
followed 'Feel The Sunshine'...
"I hate comparisons", she huffs. "One magazine said that 'Lonely
Without You' was 'more like Portishead than Portishead themselves' and I
thought, how nice... for them. Hopefully, soon people will say 'You
sound like Deborah Anderson'." No doubt about it.

Dorian Lynskey

'Lonely Without You', with remixes by Stereo MCs, is out now on MoWax

Qoquaq (Julie Pocknell)
emails to this account ignored due to spam
reply to my surname @compuserve.com