Squire's bass sound on Tormato

Myriad

Jan 24, 2001, 8:11:01 PM1/24/01

Can anybody tell me what effect or effects Chris Squire used to get
that strange twangy envelope sound on his Rick on Tormato?

I've been trying to figure it out on and off for years!

Steven Sullivan

Jan 24, 2001, 10:35:30 PM1/24/01
Myriad <m...@www.com> wrote:

: Can anybody tell me what effect or effects Chris Squire used to get

: that strange twangy envelope sound on his Rick on Tormato?

one was something called a Harmonizer, manufactured by a company called
Eventide. It was capable of producing an effect called 'backwards echo',
which can be heard on 'Future Times'.

--
-S.
Preps suck, i rule.

Rojon Thod

Jan 24, 2001, 11:59:06 PM1/24/01
>Subject: Re: Squire's bass sound on Tormato
>From: Steven Sullivan

Isn't this the same bass effect from FOoW, the song Safe which had the
oriental sounding ending?

Steven Sullivan

Jan 24, 2001, 11:53:13 PM1/24/01
Rojon Thod <rojo...@aol.com> wrote:
:>Subject: Re: Squire's bass sound on Tormato

No.

JHov9

Jan 25, 2001, 8:54:25 AM1/25/01
I think you are referring to the flanged wah sounds on songs like Future Times
and On the Silent Wings of Freedom. The effect was made by a company called
Mutron, it's not a wah wah pedal but more of a touch wah effect. All that that
means is that depending on how hard you hit the bass strings, the effect is
either prounounced or more subtle. It is a great effect, I've been trying to
get a hold of one for years. No one made them quite like Mutron.

Billy Sherwood uses the same effect on the song Wheels of Life, from the World
Trade album, Euphoria.

Hope that helps.

Peace,

Jay Hovenesian

Joey Luca

Jan 25, 2001, 1:33:54 PM1/25/01

JHov9 wrote:

> I think you are referring to the flanged wah sounds on songs like Future Times
> and On the Silent Wings of Freedom. The effect was made by a company called
> Mutron, it's not a wah wah pedal but more of a touch wah effect. All that that
> means is that depending on how hard you hit the bass strings, the effect is
> either prounounced or more subtle. It is a great effect, I've been trying to
> get a hold of one for years. No one made them quite like Mutron.

That type of effect is called an "envelope filter." You can get them readily by a
number of different effects processing companies.

Myriad

Jan 25, 2001, 6:33:39 PM1/25/01

I tried using an envelope filter on my 77 Rick and it doesn't sound
right, so that isn't it.

Michael

Jan 26, 2001, 3:13:33 AM1/26/01
On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 18:33:39 -0500, Myriad <m...@www.com> wrote:
Myriad, As you probably know, Chris has his basses wired in stereo so
that he can send the pickups signals thru different effects. The way
Chris got this sound was to send the neck pickup thru an Eventide
harmonizer using a flanging setting and the bridge pickup was send
into a Mutron III. On Safe from FOoW, he used a Mutron Phasor.
Basically, Michael

JHov9

Jan 26, 2001, 9:24:37 AM1/26/01
<< I tried using an envelope filter on my 77 Rick and it doesn't sound
right, so that isn't it. >>

Like I said before, it's not any old envelope filter that will get you that
sound. I'm a bass player myself and have tried numerous envelope filter/touch
wah effects and have had the same disappointment. The Mutron is THE one,
unfortunately they don't make them anymore.

Steven Sullivan

Jan 26, 2001, 9:44:24 AM1/26/01
Michael <dmt4...@SPAMAWAYatt.net> wrote:

: On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 18:33:39 -0500, Myriad <m...@www.com> wrote:
: Myriad, As you probably know, Chris has his basses wired in stereo so
: that he can send the pickups signals thru different effects.

Well, that's more a Rickenbacker bass thing ('Ric-O'Sound') thing, than a
Chris Squire thing.

: The way

: Chris got this sound was to send the neck pickup thru an Eventide
: harmonizer using a flanging setting and the bridge pickup was send
: into a Mutron III. On Safe from FOoW, he used a Mutron Phasor.

The very end of Safe sounds more like a chorus set way high.

VidEOSMM

Jan 26, 2001, 12:09:35 PM1/26/01
From: jh...@aol.com (JHov9)>>>It is a great effect, I've been trying to

get a hold of one for years. No one made them quite like Mutron.

I've got one in the basment. Seriously. Haven't plugged it in for ages, so
don't know its status. (Believe it or not, I used it on a trumpet with a Barcus
Berry pickup starting around 1975.) It hasn't made it to ebay, yet.

On other notes, I did sell an echo/harmonizer unit, digital delay. I don't
remember Eventide, specifically, but a harmonizer is merely that -- a unit that
produces parallel pitch(es) to the original and is mixed in.

Bill

David B. Donlon

Jan 26, 2001, 10:39:11 PM1/26/01
> : Myriad, As you probably know, Chris has his basses wired in stereo so
> : that he can send the pickups signals thru different effects.
>
> Well, that's more a Rickenbacker bass thing ('Ric-O'Sound') thing, than a
> Chris Squire thing.

Chris' Ric did not come with the stereo pickups; he had to have it done for
him.

Steven Sullivan

Jan 27, 2001, 12:14:20 AM1/27/01
David B. Donlon <david...@home.com> wrote:
:> : Myriad, As you probably know, Chris has his basses wired in stereo so

:> : that he can send the pickups signals thru different effects.
:>
:> Well, that's more a Rickenbacker bass thing ('Ric-O'Sound') thing, than a
:> Chris Squire thing.

: Chris' Ric did not come with the stereo pickups; he had to have it done for
: him.

True, but it's been standard on Rics for decades.

Aaron M Strickland

Jan 27, 2001, 12:59:48 AM1/27/01
Absolutely correct! I utilize the 'Rick-O-Sound' setup for my guitar - I
have a fairly old Rick 360 (6 string) that I used quite a bit playing around
in college - I used to run one line out to a chorus pedal, then to my Fender
Twin, and the other line to a compression pedal, then to my Peavey 210 with
a light reverb. Simply gorgeous.

Steven Sullivan <sull...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu> wrote in message

David B. Donlon

Jan 27, 2001, 2:17:22 PM1/27/01

"Steven Sullivan" <sull...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu> wrote in message

Steven, it is standard on the 4003, but it is not standard on the 4001, not
even, if I recall correctly, the 4001CS. It was certainly not standard
during the early 1960s when Chris got his. The 4003 did not debut until the
very early 1980s (1980 I think).

--
---------
David B. Donlon

Check out my band Obsessive at
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/122/david_b_donlon.html

Read some of my poetry at
http://www.motherbird.com/donlon.htm

Steven Sullivan

Jan 27, 2001, 3:39:39 PM1/27/01
David B. Donlon <david...@home.com> wrote:

: "Steven Sullivan" <sull...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu> wrote in message

: news:MOsc6.3088$hm.1...@grover.nit.gwu.edu...
:> David B. Donlon <david...@home.com> wrote:
:> :> : Myriad, As you probably know, Chris has his basses wired in stereo so
:> :> : that he can send the pickups signals thru different effects.
:> :>
:> :> Well, that's more a Rickenbacker bass thing ('Ric-O'Sound') thing, than
: a
:> :> Chris Squire thing.
:>
:> : Chris' Ric did not come with the stereo pickups; he had to have it done
: for
:> : him.
:>
:> True, but it's been standard on Rics for decades.

: Steven, it is standard on the 4003, but it is not standard on the 4001, not
: even, if I recall correctly, the 4001CS. It was certainly not standard
: during the early 1960s when Chris got his. The 4003 did not debut until the
: very early 1980s (1980 I think).

I bought my 4001 in 1977 and it was standard then.

Andy Kaufburn

Jan 27, 2001, 5:41:53 PM1/27/01

> I bought my 4001 in 1977 and it was standard then.

did you ever say, truly say, thank you to Mommy and Daddy for the Christmas
present, Stephen?

Joe

David B. Donlon

Jan 27, 2001, 9:57:23 PM1/27/01

"Steven Sullivan" <sull...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu> wrote in message

news:fmGc6.3110> :>

> :> True, but it's been standard on Rics for decades.
>
> : Steven, it is standard on the 4003, but it is not standard on the 4001,
not
> : even, if I recall correctly, the 4001CS. It was certainly not standard
> : during the early 1960s when Chris got his. The 4003 did not debut until
the
> : very early 1980s (1980 I think).
>

> I bought my 4001 in 1977 and it was standard then.

A little research on the Rickenbacker registration page made things clearer.
Rick O'Sound became standard in 1969, at about the same time that the
horseshoe pickup was replaced by the single coil high gain with cover.
Throughout the '70s the 4001 kept changing until it was indistinguishable
from the specs used for the 4003, which replaced it entirely in 1983.

Rick O'Sound is not offered on the 4001v63 nor the 4001CS.

The notes did not make clear when body binding became standard for the 4001.
Neither the v63 nor the new c64 comes with binding. Yours has binding,
doesn't it?

Steven Sullivan

Jan 27, 2001, 10:06:13 PM1/27/01
David B. Donlon <david...@home.com> wrote:

: A little research on the Rickenbacker registration page made things clearer.

: Rick O'Sound became standard in 1969, at about the same time that the
: horseshoe pickup was replaced by the single coil high gain with cover.
: Throughout the '70s the 4001 kept changing until it was indistinguishable
: from the specs used for the 4003, which replaced it entirely in 1983.

: Rick O'Sound is not offered on the 4001v63 nor the 4001CS.

Rick O'Sound? Who he? ;>

Rickenbacker used to offer -- still does, for all I know -- a rather
expensive stereo splitter cable for use witht he Rick-O-Sound jack. If
you plug a normal guitar cable in there, you only get the treble (bridge)
pickup output. I never used Rick-O-Sound. I wonder if Squire has a custom
pickup-splitting setup?

: The notes did not make clear when body binding became standard for the 4001.

: Neither the v63 nor the new c64 comes with binding. Yours has binding,
: doesn't it?

Yes, it's a blond 4001 with white binding all around (now sort of
yellowish with age). The earlier models had a cool zebra-like binding, as
you probably know.

David Wills

Jan 28, 2001, 5:39:01 PM1/28/01
Ric-O-Sound was standard on later 4001's. In 1978, I bought a Ric 4001: it
came with standard Ric-O-Sound. I read somewhere that Chris had his bass
wired for stereo some time after he bought it.

On the subject of Chris' sound: I've been trying to get his Fragile sound
for years. My conclusion is that you need an RMS compressor, an additional
outboard mid-cut eq and a slightly over-driven tube amp. 1.5 kHz is real
important, too. Does anyone know what compressor and eq Chris might have
used on Fragile? It just has to be the best bass sound......still!
Others?

For a poor-man's Tormato, I use a 70's DOD Chorus and Boss Touch-Wah.

P.S. after learning the bass to just about all of Yes' songs, I still can't
get the Roundabout riff to feel 110% right! Does anyone have the tab?
Thanks.

Steven Sullivan

Jan 28, 2001, 10:07:37 PM1/28/01
David Wills <will...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
: Ric-O-Sound was standard on later 4001's. In 1978, I bought a Ric 4001: it

: came with standard Ric-O-Sound. I read somewhere that Chris had his bass
: wired for stereo some time after he bought it.

: On the subject of Chris' sound: I've been trying to get his Fragile sound
: for years. My conclusion is that you need an RMS compressor, an additional
: outboard mid-cut eq and a slightly over-driven tube amp. 1.5 kHz is real
: important, too. Does anyone know what compressor and eq Chris might have
: used on Fragile? It just has to be the best bass sound......still!
: Others?

His Roundabout line is overdubbed on guitar as well. And he played with a
coin.

: For a poor-man's Tormato, I use a 70's DOD Chorus and Boss Touch-Wah.

: P.S. after learning the bass to just about all of Yes' songs, I still can't
: get the Roundabout riff to feel 110% right! Does anyone have the tab?
: Thanks.

what part is giving you trouble? The fast riff is E-F#-G-B-D-E. Pick near
the bridge and use fresh roundwound strings to get a steelier sound.

dave.d...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2014, 8:07:46 PM7/13/14
MuTron Wah
oldie but VERY goodie

bill.mut...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2014, 11:40:41 AM7/14/14
As per others, the Mutron is an envelope generator.

I have one in my basement (not for sale...unless!)

37 years ago, I used it on my "electric trumpet". The electronic signal from the trumpet was produced via a Barcus Berry transducer, that was in a hole drilled into a mouthpiece of your choice.

I had _one_ killer improvised solo in the last jazz concert that we played.

I have seen other envelope generators since. Yes, the Mutron is a "prized pedal". There is another pro musician who says that there is nothing like it. But, I don't remember his name!

bill.mut...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2014, 11:06:02 PM7/15/14
I took a look at it. The one I have is the Mutron III.

dkro...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2015, 11:00:11 AM12/31/15
On Sunday, January 28, 2001 at 5:39:01 PM UTC-5, David Wills wrote:

> For a poor-man's Tormato, I use a 70's DOD Chorus and Boss Touch-Wah.

Along these lines, I've had some success approximating Chris' Tormato bass sound by running my Ric through a TWA 'Little Dipper mk.II' and then through an Eventide 'Pitchfactor' using the 'H910' setting. The Little Dipper mk.II required some internal and external knob adjustments to get the sound close to Chris', but it does offer many envelope effects (keep your screwdrivers handy to turn the tiny knobs). A bit expensive to call it the 'poor-man's' option, so I also refer to David's post!

bfo...@tx.rr.com

Jan 18, 2018, 10:04:49 PM1/18/18
Sounds like an Envelope Filter

Splunge

Jan 19, 2018, 12:33:42 AM1/19/18
Wasn't it a Mu-Tron? http://www.mu-tron.org

Игорь Гапонов

Jun 15, 2023, 8:14:52 PM6/15/23
In fact, technically making an electric guitar and bass with two pickups a two-channel guitar is as easy as shelling pears (the idea itself is ingeniously simple, I don’t know who it belongs to, probably the whole world :)). The most important thing on Tormato is that you can hear SURROUND two-channel sound in the bass part. A similar but less dramatic effect can be heard on the track Come Together from the legendary Abbey Road. I think that's the basis of Chris' guitar sound on Tormato. And then choruses with wow compressors :)