Our Song question

Theron Macay Quist

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the ideas behind the lyrics
of this song. I live close to Toledo, Ohio (is there another?) and don't get
the "silver city" reference, or see the connections between the verse
and chorus. Maybe that's asking too much of the band at this phase (I
know that a lot of you don't like this incarnation), but I was wondering
about it.

Theron

Robertson

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
Isn't there a toledo in spain?
--
MZ?

Theron Macay Quist

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96

Yes there is. Thank you and another Yesfan for referring me to it. I
still don't really get the gist of the song, but then again this isn't
the first time the meaning of a Yes song has eluded me.

Cutting It Fine...

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
In article <4k1f78$f...@infoserver.bgsu.edu>, tqu...@bgnet.bgsu.edu (Theron Macay Quist) writes:
> I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the ideas behind the lyrics
> of this song. I live close to Toledo, Ohio (is there another?) and don't get
> the "silver city" reference,
Dosen't everyone in Toledo know that they have a sister city in Spain?
I've looked up Toledo, Spain on the Web, and found out some stuff, but no
direct correlation to Toledo as being the silver city, although in the song I
do think they mean Spain's Toledo, not the U.S.'s. Toledo, Spain was little
before the Romans came, with their typical Roman highways. ('good king's
highway'. Spain did have kings, the US didn't :) It's built on a hill, so it
does kinda look like a fort.. (my fortification took me by surprise).
From what I gather, it used to be a capitol of Spain, and had quite an
interisting history... by being conquered mand reconquered, Christians, Jews,
and Moslums came to live together, more or less harmoniously. Toledo became a
center for philosophers, artists, scientists, etc... So 'silver city' may be
an interperitation of all that. Also could just be Jon and his lyric-writing
style, since I recall quite a bit of other alliteration in that song. Know
this is probably more info than you ever wanted to know, but... :)

Becki
00rrch...@bsuvc.bsu.edu

Andrew Drake

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/16/96
Theron Macay Quist (tqu...@bgnet.bgsu.edu) wrote:

: I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the ideas behind the lyrics

: of this song. I live close to Toledo, Ohio (is there another?) and don't get

: the "silver city" reference, or see the connections between the verse

: and chorus. Maybe that's asking too much of the band at this phase (I
: know that a lot of you don't like this incarnation), but I was wondering
: about it.

: Theron

I lived just outside of Detroit (very close to Toledo, OH) and I remember
when Yes came through that part of the country on their 90125 tour they
received the Key to the City of Toledo from the mayor. I remember it was
because of the Toledo references in 'Our Song'. Would they have accepted
the Key if the references weren't about Toledo, OH? It happened at the
point when '90125' sales were going through the roof.

keith puckett-hart

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/16/96
On Apr 16, 1996 01:39:24 in article <Re: Our Song question>,

'awd...@email.unc.edu (Andrew Drake)' wrote:

>I lived just outside of Detroit (very close to Toledo, OH) and I remember

>when Yes came through that part of the country on their 90125 tour they
>received the Key to the City of Toledo from the mayor. I remember it was

>because of the Toledo references in 'Our Song'. Would they have accepted

>the Key if the references weren't about Toledo, OH? It happened at the
>point when '90125' sales were going through the roof

having been to toledo ohio, i have to believe that the song refers to
toledo, _spain_!

den...@gmail.com

May 5, 2015, 12:26:31 PM5/5/15
On Thursday, April 4, 1996 at 4:00:00 AM UTC-4, Theron Macay Quist wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the ideas behind the lyrics
> of this song. I live close to Toledo, Ohio (is there another?) and don't get
> the "silver city" reference, or see the connections between the verse
> and chorus. Maybe that's asking too much of the band at this phase (I
> know that a lot of you don't like this incarnation), but I was wondering
> about it.
>
> Theron

Ok, you waited almost 20 years for the correct answer. Yes, to answer your question, Yes (the band) is referring to Toledo Ohio and not our sister sity in Spain. "Our Song" lyrics referred to their 1977 concert in which their maiden stop in Toledo relieved their pre-tour jitters as they played the "hottest" concert of their careers - by hot I mean the 52 deg. C (126 deg. F.) temperatures in the Toledo, Ohio sports arena. They received the key to the city having honored Toledo Ohio in the lyrics of "Our Song" on their album "90125" released six years later in 1983.

rolfe...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2016, 10:54:26 AM3/2/16
On Thursday, 4 April 1996 09:00:00 UTC+1, Theron Macay Quist wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the ideas behind the lyrics
> of this song. I live close to Toledo, Ohio (is there another?) and don't get
> the "silver city" reference, or see the connections between the verse
> and chorus. Maybe that's asking too much of the band at this phase (I
> know that a lot of you don't like this incarnation), but I was wondering
> about it.
>
> Theron

Just to wrap up the 20 year discussion, can I just say that I was at the Toledo concert that night :) On another note, did Theoron see the answer?

bill.mut...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2016, 2:59:50 PM3/11/16

> Ok, you waited almost 20 years for the correct answer. Yes, to answer your question, Yes (the band) is referring to Toledo Ohio and not our sister sity in Spain. "Our Song" lyrics referred to their 1977 concert in which their maiden stop in Toledo relieved their pre-tour jitters as they played the "hottest" concert of their careers - by hot I mean the 52 deg. C (126 deg. F.) temperatures in the Toledo, Ohio sports arena. They received the key to the city having honored Toledo Ohio in the lyrics of "Our Song" on their album "90125" released six years later in 1983.

Was anyone here at the Songs from Tsongas DVD (and later CD, or not?). It certainly felt like 126 deg. F, but was probably a mere 100-115.

mr.m...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2019, 10:40:20 AM12/16/19
22 years later - I was there too - cops let us go out the side doors to try and get some air, and come back in...

Theron Quist

Aug 18, 2021, 2:42:08 AM8/18/21
On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 10:54:26 AM UTC-5, rolfe...@gmail.com wrote:
Yes, I did, but only just now in 2021. Thanks!