Return Of The Epic Mix

inelegy

Jun 15, 2012, 8:21:14 PM6/15/12
This coming week will mark the one year anniversary of the release of
"Fly From Here".

Since all of the old links are dead, here's a fresh link to my "epic
mix" of the title track that turns the disparate pieces into a
contiguous whole. The aim was to turn it into the promised classic
Yes epic the band failed to deliver.

Link: http://rapidgator.net/file/18420357/Yes_-_Fly_From_Here_-_01_-_Fly_From_Here.mp3.html

Breakdown of how the mix is assembled:

1 - Radar (0:49)
2 - Overture (2:18)
3 - We Can Fly (5:36)
4 - Sad Night At The Airfield [part 1] (3:16)
5 - Madman At The Screens (1:31)
6 - Bumpy Ride (1:01)
7 - Madman At The Screens [part 2] (2:49)
8 - Sad Night At The Airfield [part 2] (3:08)
9 - A Bridge Of Madmen (0:30)
10 - Quiet Ride (0:32)
11 - We Can Fly (reprise)(1:44)

Here's what I wrote about it last year:

We were led to believe that "Fly From Here" was to be a "twenty-minute-
plus long piece" (Squire, "Fly From Here" EPK) and this clearly was a
lie or the delusions of senile old men who've forgotten what they once
were.

I've fixed it. It's not perfect because the individual pieces will
never fit together like the elements of "Close To The Edge" or any one
side of TFTO, but I believe what I've done is made it closer to what
we were promised.

Into this mix I've added a new opening section conjured out of
sections of the whole, the 1980 demo, and a little Mellotron and Moog
of my own. Some of the sections have been broken apart so they end
and return later.

The original 'suite' runs 23:49, my version is 22:28. Most of the
loss is due to dropping short bridge sections between tracks which are
no longer are necessary.

Hop Man Jr

Jun 25, 2012, 10:40:51 AM6/25/12
On Jun 16, 1:21 am, inelegy <nedsfin...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> This coming week will mark the one year anniversary of the release of
> "Fly From Here".
>
> Since all of the old links are dead, here's a fresh link to my "epic
> mix" of the title track that turns the disparate pieces into a
> contiguous whole.  The aim was to turn it into the promised classic
> Yes epic the band failed to deliver.
>
> Link:  http://rapidgator.net/file/18420357/Yes_-_Fly_From_Here_-_01_-_Fly_Fr...
I can't bring myself to listen to the album version now - this has
become the definitive version for me. Highly reccommended.

inelegy

Jun 25, 2012, 1:21:33 PM6/25/12
Glad to hear it.

I've not listened to the original 'suite' since the first week of
release. It's been so long I no longer remember how it sounded . . .

I've gone so far as committing a lossless version of my 'epic mix'
tracked in with the rest of the album (including the full version of
"Hour of Need") to a CDR as an archived hard copy stored it in my
official CD's case so that I never make the mistake of listening to or
ripping the official version.

Chet

Jun 25, 2012, 6:11:10 PM6/25/12
On Monday, June 25, 2012 10:21:33 AM UTC-7, inelegy wrote:
> On Jun 25, 9:40 am, Hop Man Jr <hopma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jun 16, 1:21 am, inelegy <nedsfin...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I can't bring myself to listen to the album version now - this has
> > become the definitive version for me.  Highly reccommended.
>
> Glad to hear it.
>
> I've not listened to the original 'suite' since the first week of
> release. It's been so long I no longer remember how it sounded . . .

YES is outdated. JON was the spirit of YES, and now we know the band has no spirit. It's not too late to get over it.

Godolphin&fellow

Jul 5, 2012, 7:22:54 AM7/5/12
What are you saying.. that Trevor made a mistake? -- I think maybe that he did.
I d/l-ed this last year and have listened to it 3 times now - album version prob 10-12 times. (Way back, I'd prob listen to a new Yes album 200+ times in a year's time.) This one probably IS more satisfying. Wonder if Trevor or any of the other participants have heard it?

inelegy

Apr 2, 2018, 8:25:10 PM4/2/18
Two swipes at this thing and they *still* can't be bothered to cement the parts of the "epic" together.

Good thing I'm around . . .

http://www.mediafire.com/file/x5g33a7pjvrinuh/Yes%20-%20Fly%20From%20Here%20-%20Return%20Trip%20-%2001%20-%20Fly%20From%20Here.mp3

FLAC can be available if there's interest.

Paul Goodwin

Apr 21, 2018, 9:57:44 PM4/21/18
The nadir of Yes albums for me. One good song----'Sad Night at the Airfield and the new "Return Trip" version is horrible. Bumpy ride indeed.

MarkF

Apr 23, 2018, 10:59:06 AM4/23/18
On April 21, Paul Goodwin wrote:
> the new "Return Trip" version is horrible. Bumpy ride indeed.

Benoit's Revenge:

www.tinyurl.com/ReturnTripe

--
Mark "Adventures In Modern Re-Recording" F

hopm...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2018, 8:47:31 AM7/20/18
Super! I was thinking that this needed the Epic Mix treatment - thanks!

hopm...@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2019, 2:04:09 AM1/9/19
Just to *bump* this - still definitive for me.

Rink

Apr 17, 2020, 4:45:45 PM4/17/20
Op 3-4-2018 om 2:25 schreef inelegy:
Thank you !