What does the word "khatru" mean?

Ric K

Aug 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/27/99
OK, I've searched all the Internet dictionaries and I give up. What is a
'khatru'? How did the song get it's name?

Thanks,
Ric

Yann Clochec

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 22:27:13 -0400, from all of eternity, "Ric K"
<r...@antispamtechnologist.com>, lost in all the noise, silently
whispered :

>OK, I've searched all the Internet dictionaries and I give up. What is a
>'khatru'? How did the song get it's name?

Jon said at the time it meant something in Yemenite (sorry but I don't
remember what ;-), but since there does not exist a Yemenite language
(they speak Arabic there), the most likely answer is that Jon invented
the word and its supposed meaning and used it just because it sounds
good in the context of the song.

----
The Lone Gunslinger - Mythologist-General, OP - Cdr, Whale Patrol, EE
It's time to reach the goals we've set for ourselves, the more we fear,
the more we lie, the more we hide, all we need is to believe in ourselves,
we face the truth, we see it clear, with no disguise. Chris Squire.

John Gonzales

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
Ric K wrote:

> OK, I've searched all the Internet dictionaries and I give up. What is a
> 'khatru'? How did the song get it's name?
>

> Thanks,
> Ric

Whether there is a Yemeni language or not, some have previously noted on here
that it's Yemeni for
"as you will" or "as you wish".

John

Henry Potts

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
John Gonzales <gonz...@pdq.net> wrote

>Ric K wrote
>> OK, I've searched all the Internet dictionaries and I give up. What is a
>> 'khatru'? How did the song get it's name?
>
>Whether there is a Yemeni language or not, some have previously noted
>on here that it's Yemeni for "as you will" or "as you wish".

They speak Arabic in the Yemen, although they may well be a Yemeni
dialect. So, what's the Arabic for "as you will"?
--
Henry

Brian Zischkau

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
"Ric K" <r...@antispamtechnologist.com> wrote:

>OK, I've searched all the Internet dictionaries and I give up. What is a
>'khatru'? How did the song get it's name?
>

>Thanks,
>Ric

In 1973 Jon said about Siberian Khatru:
"Khatru" is just alot of interesting words, though it does relate to the dreams of
clear summer days. The title means winter, but it is meant to be the opposite.

Brian

Miguel

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99
In my mind, it's the bird of prey described in the song. I know it isn't...
but I can't stop thinking that way

Miguel - Squire Fan #1
Coimbra, PORTUGAL

Yann Clochec <yclo...@club-internet.fr> wrote in message

> On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 22:27:13 -0400, from all of eternity, "Ric K"
> <r...@antispamtechnologist.com>, lost in all the noise, silently
> whispered :
>

> >OK, I've searched all the Internet dictionaries and I give up. What is a
> >'khatru'? How did the song get it's name?

Chaz

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99
Chris Squire, quoted in Chris Welch's new book Close to the Edge: The Story
of Yes, said:
"I don't think anybody has ever worked out what a 'Siberian Khatru' is
exactly. I have seen interviews with Jon over the years when he's been asked
that question and he once came up with quite a clever answer. He said that
Khatru is Siberian for 'As You Wish'. It could mean whatever you want it to
mean. But I don't know if he was just saying that. Really he just liked the
sound of the word. I don't think he cared too much if 'Siberian Khatru'
really meant anything. Jon went through a phase where he looked upon his
voice as another instrument in the band as opposed to being there to deliver
love songs....'

Chaz
NP: Marillion "Chelsea Monday" from 'The Thieving Magpie'

Brian Zischkau <don't.s...@me.com> wrote in message

Terrell Miller

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
Ross Jacobs <ross_...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>Khatru-Women in Science Fiction
>
>(the still mysterious) James Tiptree, Jr.

no mystery. Alice Sheldon was a clinical psychologist in
Massachusetts, IIRC, before she retired and began her second career.
She died several years ago. As far as the pseudonyms, James was her
husband's name, her breakfast that morning was from a jar of Tiptree
marmalade, and the Jr. was extra camouflage. Her other pseudonym was
Raccoona Sheldon, because she had raccoons in her back yard.

Gotta say, she was the most readable of the 70s feminist sf writers,
at least to my taste. Probably because she spent more effort on plot
and less on the "feelings dialogue" of her characters, which seems to
be a hallmark of women's fiction.

terrel...@mindspring.com Ordo Pantheris

"If we're not supposed to eat animals,
then how come they're made out of meat?"
-Doug Doty

Steven Sullivan

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
Ross Jacobs <ross_...@my-deja.com> wrote:
: Khatru is a word made up by Yes and is without definition.

: Lesbian, feminist, sci-fi, whore-slut bitches

My, such intemperate language, Andrew. But please keep it up; it'll make
for a better file when you get reported to Deja. Since you've been making
so many friends here, I 'spect that'll be sooner rather than later.

--
-S.

olia...@my-deja.com

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
In article <83MOCQAM...@bondegezou.demon.co.uk>,

Henry Potts <he...@bondegezou.demon.co.uk.REMOVE-TO-EMAIL> wrote:
> John Gonzales <gonz...@pdq.net> wrote
> >Ric K wrote

> >> OK, I've searched all the Internet dictionaries and I give up.
What is a
> >> 'khatru'? How did the song get it's name?
> >
> >Whether there is a Yemeni language or not, some have previously noted
> >on here that it's Yemeni for "as you will" or "as you wish".
>
> They speak Arabic in the Yemen, although they may well be a Yemeni
> dialect. So, what's the Arabic for "as you will"?
> --
> Henry

Henry,

I doubt your question was rhetorical so here is the answer. The Yemeni
arabic expression for "as you wish or as you will" is "KAMA TOREED."
This is still quite far from "Khatru" so it cannot be Yemeni. The quest
continues. Perhaps Jon did just make it up? One of us will get up the
courage to ask him one of these days. Maybe Wendypoems can help?

Dave R.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Jeff Smith

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
In article <7q8b2o$14a$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Ross Jacobs <ross_...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> Khatru is a word made up by Yes and is without definition.
>
> Lesbian, feminist, sci-fi, whore-slut bitches took adopted this term
in
> the mid-1970s to push their propaganda.

I hesitate to even respond, but no-one "adopted this term" to describe
*any* propaganda. The "Women in Science Fiction" symposium was published
in an issue of the science fiction fanzine KHATRU, which was so named
because the editor was (and is) a Yes fan.

It's kind of amusing to think of "khatru" coming to mean "lesbian,
feminist, sci-fi, whore-slut bitch propaganda," but it doesn't, and I
don't imagine it ever will.

If it did, though, some of the logos for the fanzine would look great on
t-shirts.

Jeff Smith
editor
KHATRU (defunct)

Jeff Smith

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
In article <37cb3b8e...@news.mindspring.com>,
terrel...@mindspring.com wrote:

> >(the still mysterious) James Tiptree, Jr.
>
> no mystery. Alice Sheldon was a clinical psychologist in
> Massachusetts, IIRC, before she retired and began her second career.
> She died several years ago. As far as the pseudonyms, James was her
> husband's name, her breakfast that morning was from a jar of Tiptree
> marmalade, and the Jr. was extra camouflage. Her other pseudonym was
> Raccoona Sheldon, because she had raccoons in her back yard.
>
> Gotta say, she was the most readable of the 70s feminist sf writers,
> at least to my taste. Probably because she spent more effort on plot
> and less on the "feelings dialogue" of her characters, which seems to
> be a hallmark of women's fiction.
>
> terrel...@mindspring.com Ordo Pantheris

Trust me, Terrell, she's still mysterious. Alli Sheldon was a friend of
mine, and there was a *lot* going on with her. A biography is being
written about her, and there's a lot of stuff the biographer hasn't been
able to come up with.

Her amazing "career" started when she was four, and her parents took her
on African safaris, and to other places in the world. She was a
debutante in Chicago society, the art columnist for a Chicago paper, she
enlisted in the Women's Army Air Corps during World War II and
eventually ended up in photointelligence. She was a painter, she ran an
egg hatchery, she eventually went back to college and got a degree in
research psychology. With that she went into teaching, and in between
grading papers she wrote science fiction stories. The "James" was a
deliberately-bland made-up name (her husband's name was Huntington, and
everybody called him "Ting"), the Tiptree *did* come from the preserves
(she told me she saw the name on the shelf in the supermarket), the
"Jr." was Ting's idea ("extra camouflage" is a good way to put it).

I'm glad you liked her fiction, which I think was exceptional. I liked a
lot of the other women writers of that time, too, though--Ursula Le Guin
tops the list, I think.

In February 2000, Tor Books will publish her final collection: a major
short novel completed in the last year of her life, some minor short
stories not included in any of her other books, and a huge selection of
her essays and letters (most of the letters were written to me). I'm the
editor of the book, which will be called MEET ME AT INFINITY. She was a
fascinating, wonderful person, and I think people will enjoy reading the
essays and letters, many of which contain chunks of autobiography, of an
incredible life.

I had sent her a tape of Yes music, which she hadn't really enjoyed. But
here's a nice little tidbit not in either MEET ME AT INFINITY or the
forthcoming biography:

We all thought "Tiptree" was not the writer's real name, but at any rate
it was the pseudonym for a man, and it was shocking when we discovered
that "Uncle Tip" (as "he" sometimes referred to "himself" in the
correspondence he carried on with many people in the science fiction
world) was a woman. When she wrote to me confessing the truth, worried
that I would feel betrayed by her deception, she sat in her house
playing my Yes tape, and wrote in her diary "Is this the last time I'll
be able to say: A *friend* sent me this?"

It wasn't.

Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
The Yemeni
> arabic expression for "as you wish or as you will" is "KAMA TOREED."
> This is still quite far from "Khatru" so it cannot be Yemeni. The
quest
> continues. Perhaps Jon did just make it up? One of us will get up the
> courage to ask him one of these days. Maybe Wendypoems can help?
>
> Dave R.

I have to say, I don't think "kama toreed" and "khatru" are *that* far
apart. Two different people saying the word in conversation, and two
other people trying to write it down, could easily come up with
spellings that different.

stab...@aol.com

Dec 31, 2013, 12:40:59 PM12/31/13
On Friday, August 27, 1999 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Ric K wrote:
> OK, I've searched all the Internet dictionaries and I give up. What is a
> 'khatru'? How did the song get it's name?
>
> Thanks,
> Ric

Khatru’ means ‘as you wish’ in Yemeni

jimge...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2014, 4:31:05 PM7/18/14
In 1989, doing some lovely chat show, someone asked Jon about some of the lyrics that seemed to be nonsense. Jon replied that his voice was an instrument, and some words are a beautiful sound. Jim Keever Co

ye...@hotmail.com

Jul 18, 2014, 6:02:05 PM7/18/14
.......even those that sound like a sneeze?

--

Paul "Gesundheit!" Goodwin

pcth...@msn.com

Jul 18, 2014, 11:23:51 PM7/18/14
On Friday, July 18, 2014 2:31:05 PM UTC-6, jimge...@gmail.com wrote:
> In 1989, doing some lovely chat show, someone asked Jon about some of the lyrics that seemed to be nonsense. Jon replied that his voice was an instrument, and some words are a beautiful sound. Jim Keever Co

Jon has said that the lyrics to Siberian Khatru are mostly just that, a medium for the voice as instrument. Whereas, he's often side the lyrics to CTTE are inspired by the novel, Siddhartha.

Sometimes the words are just filler so he can sing, other times meaning, and sometimes when it means something it's hard to tell what.

Which is part of why I loved his lyrics so much in the classic YES period

Adam

Jul 19, 2014, 11:32:50 PM7/19/14
They were fun, weren't they? I kind of liked that I had no idea what the
heck they were about at least half the time.

pcth...@msn.com

Jul 20, 2014, 11:01:05 AM7/20/14
On Saturday, July 19, 2014 9:32:50 PM UTC-6, Adam wrote:
> <pcth...@msn.com> wrote:
>
> They were fun, weren't they? I kind of liked that I had no idea what the
>
> heck they were about at least half the time.

The esoteric to sometimes just plain word sounds nature of the lyrics was a big part of the attraction of YES music back in the early 70's for me.

We'd ponder and discuss the meaning endlessly and other times just let the soaring nature of the words and music take us away.

Album sides, new sounds that were groundbreaking and breathtaking with each new record... ahh classic YES

Jim

Ross Jacobs

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
Khatru is a word made up by Yes and is without definition.

Lesbian, feminist, sci-fi, whore-slut bitches took adopted this term in

the mid-1970s to push their propaganda. See below for reference URLs
and excerpt.

--
Ross

http://www.tiptree.org/catalog.html#Khatru

http://www.wenet.net/~lquilter/femsf/confs.html

Khatru-Women in Science Fiction

Originally published by Jeffrey D. Smith in 1975, this symposium on
women in SF included some of the most well-known writers (plus an
agent) of 70s feminist science fiction: Vonda N. McIntyre, Virginia
Kidd, Suzy McKee Charnas, Kate Wilhelm, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, (the
still mysterious) James Tiptree, Jr., Samuel Delany, Joanna Russ,
Raylyn Moore, Luise White and Jeffrey D. Smith. In spite of the long-
ago date of publication, the opinions expressed by Khatru's
participants are amazingly radical. Besides the original symposium,
this publication includes new material by original participants and
commentary by others, including Jane Hawkins, Mog Decarnin, Pat Murphy,
Karen Joy Fowler, Gwyneth Jones, and Jeanne Gomoll.

dmarac...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2016, 1:51:11 AM8/14/16

MarkF

Aug 30, 2016, 5:24:19 PM8/30/16
On August 27, 1999, Ric K wrote:
> OK, I've searched all the Internet dictionaries and I give up. What is a
> 'khatru'?

A lot of people are saying, not me but a whole lot of people are saying that Donald J. Trump is on it:

1) "I am calling for a total and complete shutdown of Khatru entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on."

2) "I will build a great Khatru – and nobody builds a Khatru better than me, believe me — and I'll build it very inexpensively. I will build a great, great Khatru on the south side of the sky, and I will make Mexico pay for that Khatru. Mark my words."

3) "He referred to my Khatru, if it's too small, then something else must be small... I guarantee you there's no problem. I guarantee it."

4) "You could see there was Khatru coming out of her eyes... Khatru coming out of her wherever..."

5) "Siberia, Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the Khatru that is missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press."

6) "I know more about Khatru than Jon Anderson does, believe me... "

bookgu...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2017, 12:58:25 PM3/14/17
I hear you. Is there anything these twisted, disturbed, delusional, narcissistic, emotionally-unstable cunts haven't poisoned yet in western society?? What a bunch of f#cked-up bitches!!! LOL.

bookgu...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2017, 1:07:00 PM3/14/17
On Tuesday, August 31, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Steven Sullivan wrote:
> Ross Jacobs <ross_...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> : Khatru is a word made up by Yes and is without definition.
>
> : Lesbian, feminist, sci-fi, whore-slut bitches
>

> My, such intemperate language, Andrew. But please keep it up; it'll make
> for a better file when you get reported to Deja. Since you've been making
> so many friends here, I 'spect that'll be sooner rather than later.
>

> --
> -S.

Another emasculated White Knight/politically correct sock-puppet rushes to the defense of dishonest, destructive, anti-male, anti-heterosexual family feminists, seeking the approval of young liberal women to enhance his own sense of worth at the expense of men with LEGITIMATE anger towards a movement that lies and distorts things REPEATEDLY, and has caused a lot of suffering in our society. How many times have you criticized a feminist publicly for harsh angry words against men, and threatened to report her for it?? That's what I figured, pansy-ass.

bookgu...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2017, 1:12:20 PM3/14/17
On Tuesday, August 31, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Jeff Smith wrote:
> In article <7q8b2o$14a$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Ross Jacobs <ross_...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> > Khatru is a word made up by Yes and is without definition.
> >
> > Lesbian, feminist, sci-fi, whore-slut bitches took adopted this term
> in
> > the mid-1970s to push their propaganda.
>

> I hesitate to even respond, but no-one "adopted this term" to describe
> *any* propaganda. The "Women in Science Fiction" symposium was published
> in an issue of the science fiction fanzine KHATRU, which was so named
> because the editor was (and is) a Yes fan.
>
> It's kind of amusing to think of "khatru" coming to mean "lesbian,
> feminist, sci-fi, whore-slut bitch propaganda," but it doesn't, and I
> don't imagine it ever will.
>
> If it did, though, some of the logos for the fanzine would look great on
> t-shirts.
>
> Jeff Smith
> editor
> KHATRU (defunct)

I agree Jeff, but it's safe to say that Ross has been deeply hurt by feminists (as a lot of people have) and has good reason to be angry with them. I give him space to feel that, and vent a bit about it because God knows feminists vent about men anytime they feel like it (and they're "strong, independent women", so a little criticism won't shatter them). The bitches piss me off also, LOL... they lie so much about so many things it's hard to take them seriously anymore, except as hateful, toxic enemies of society and heterosexual relationships!!

brucerco...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2017, 1:01:31 PM9/10/17
On Friday, August 27, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Ric K wrote:
> OK, I've searched all the Internet dictionaries and I give up. What is a
> 'khatru'? How did the song get it's name?
>
> Thanks,
> Ric
Its a solvent electrically stimulating from E.G. Tesla Coils and or Galatic configurations effecting matter on Earth i.e.LSD or other drugs act as conductors of field currents already presents

Red

Sep 12, 2017, 12:46:02 AM9/12/17
thats a load of khatru!

wrote in message

MarkF

Sep 18, 2017, 2:41:26 PM9/18/17
On August 27, 1999, Ric K wrote:
> OK, I've searched all the Internet dictionaries and
> I give up. What is a 'khatru'?

Let me remind you of the pilgrim who asked for an audience
with the Dalai Lama. He was told he must first spend
eighteen years in contemplation.

After the 18 years, he was ushered into the Dalai Lama's
presence, who said, "Well, my son, what is it you wish to
know?"

So the pilgrim said, "I wish to know the meaning of khatru,
father."

And the Dalai Lama smiled and said, "Well my son,
'khatru' is just 'urtahk' spelled backwards... isn't it?"

callme...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2018, 7:24:28 PM10/25/18
Wow do you likempusdy?

webm...@adrianxw.dk

Jun 5, 2019, 7:44:40 AM6/5/19
On Friday, August 27, 1999 at 9:00:00 AM UTC+2, Ric K wrote:
> OK, I've searched all the Internet dictionaries and I give up. What is a
> 'khatru'? How did the song get it's name?
>
> Thanks,
> Ric

According to Anderson, it means "As you wish" in the Yemeni dialect of Arabic.