who footage from old wplj commercial?

Mad Scientist Jr

Nov 30, 2005, 11:59:17 PM11/30/05
i remember seeing an old wplj ad long ago (early 80s?) that i think
showed townsend smashing his guitar - the film was all filtered and
black&white/animated looking - can anyone confirm this and also what
was the music? i don't remember it being any song from a who album i
had heard at the time.

fwillia...@yahoo.com

Dec 1, 2005, 12:29:53 AM12/1/05
Is WPLJ a radio station?

There was an ad around that time that used TKAA footage and someone
gave it that animated look...it was one of those generic spots local
radio stations around the country used. They were in several markets.
All the local stations did was slap their logo on it and give it a
localized a voiceover. It was used by DC 101 here.

Ted Maloney

Dec 1, 2005, 1:26:47 AM12/1/05

I remember the ad, but I don't remember the source or the music. I was
very young and inattentive at that time!

Me

Dec 1, 2005, 7:49:32 AM12/1/05

The ad from WPLJ simply used footage from The Kids Are Alright. I
remember it well.

Mad Scientist Jr

Dec 1, 2005, 9:20:45 AM12/1/05
Thanks for answering that... I still wonder what the music was from

Me

Dec 1, 2005, 9:56:01 AM12/1/05

Mad Scientist Jr wrote:
> Thanks for answering that... I still wonder what the music was from.

> Me wrote:
> > Mad Scientist Jr wrote:
> > > i remember seeing an old wplj ad long ago (early 80s?) that i think
> > > showed townsend smashing his guitar - the film was all filtered and
> > > black&white/animated looking - can anyone confirm this and also what
> > > was the music? i don't remember it being any song from a who album i
> > > had heard at the time.
> >
> > The ad from WPLJ simply used footage from The Kids Are Alright. I
> > remember it well.

I don't believe that it was Who music that was used in the ad. In fact,
it was scenes of many different musicians and bands with a non-descript
heavy metal-screeching guitar thing playing over it.

Mad Scientist Jr

Dec 1, 2005, 12:45:55 PM12/1/05
The wplj one I remember wasn't really "shred" guitar, it was a bitchen
bluesy hard rock riff (which i was wishing was gonna be some rare live
unreleased Who tune). But we're talking 20+ years since seeing this ad
plus my bad memory, so what probably sounded good to my kids ears then
would very possibly sound screechy today!

Me

Dec 1, 2005, 1:26:56 PM12/1/05

Well, your description of the music used is just as valid as mine. You
liked it. I didn't. No big deal there. it definitely wasn't The Who
though.

Mad Scientist Jr

Dec 1, 2005, 2:02:32 PM12/1/05
>it definitely wasn't The Who though.

aw well

keifspoon

Dec 1, 2005, 10:40:03 PM12/1/05
It's from the end of WGFA from TKAA.

Me

Dec 2, 2005, 2:09:06 PM12/2/05

keifspoon wrote:
> It's from the end of WGFA from TKAA.

Yeah, that's right. Just the visuals though, not the music.

mad.scie...@gmail.com

Feb 18, 2016, 8:54:01 PM2/18/16
It's been a while but this ad is on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcmm2rtFMGU

any idea who does the music?

mad.scie...@gmail.com

May 12, 2017, 9:09:16 AM5/12/17
Bump - any idea who does the music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcmm2rtFMGU

cruciverbalist

May 14, 2017, 6:49:06 PM5/14/17
On Fri, 12 May 2017 06:09:16 -0700 (PDT), mad.scie...@gmail.com
wrote:
I gave it a listen. Sorry, no idea. But I'd like to know also.