Scot Halpin - RIP (died before a got old)

keifspoon

Feb 15, 2008, 12:17:44 PM2/15/08
http://www.mem.com/Story.aspx?ID=2282444

T. Scot Halpin, 54
(Feb. 3, 1954 - Feb. 9, 2008)

A man of his practice: T. Scot Halpin, died peacefully at home on
Saturday afternoon, February 9, 2007 in the arms of his beloved wife
and partner of 30 years, Robin Young Halpin. Scot was the devoted
father of Thomas James Halpin. He was a gifted artist and musician.
His unbounding energy, sense of humor, creative ingenuity, and
determination have left a rich legacy of music and art, his ultimate
gift to those who have known and loved him.

Thomas Scot Halpin was born on February 3, 1954, to Elizabeth and
Richard Halpin, of Muscatine, Iowa. From his early years, Scot
distinguished himself as a musician and visual artist. He began
playing drums as a teenager in Muscatine and went on to master the
bass and guitar along with singing and composing original music. His
music was energetic, vibrant, and a main stay in his life. He was a
walking anthology of many forms of music, especially Americana, Rock &
Roll, and Blues.

Scot grew up in the heartland, but followed the "California Dream"
during the early 1970's, where he lived for the next twenty years. In
1973, he was awarded "Rolling Stone Magazine's "Pick-Up Player of the
Year Award" for his historic performance playing with the Who, sitting
in for an ailing Keith Moon, at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. Scot
wrote music and performed in many bands throughout the years
including,The Sponges, Funhouse, and Folklore. He was composer in
residence at the prestigious Headlands Center for the Arts, in
Sausalito, California. He earned an MA in Interdisciplinary Arts from
San Francisco State University.

He met his wife, Robin, in August 1978 in a painting class at City
College. Together they formed a collaborative team and worked side-by-
side for the next thirty years in continuous creative endeavor. While
on the west coast they managed a New Wave Punk Rock Night Club, The
Roosevelt. In 1995 they relocated to Bloomington Indiana, to better
participate in the top juried midwest art fairs. He was a member of
local band, SnakeDoctor, for many years and sat in on sessions with
myriad local musicians.

Most recently, he was writing and playing music with his friend, John
Williams, in their jug band duo, Plank Road.

Scot was a firm friend to so many--a man of keen integrity and
powerful grit, an astute observer of nature and humanity. He was
fiercely loyal, and loving. He had great warmth and charm. He was a
gentle man. Scot's home was filled with a vast collection of art books
and music which he studied and consulted regularly. His interest in
the creative process of other musicians and artists never flagged. He
was a poet, a painter, a musician, a composer, a visionary and a
healer.

Beset four and a half years ago with a benign, but inoperable brain
tumor, he never wavered in his pursuit of his artistic muse and
remained vigilant in his dedication to and caring for his family. Scot
approached this difficult path with confidence and determination to
help himself heal.

In his last weeks, Scot was actively reviewing his life, charging his
heart with love and forgiveness and connecting with the great spirit.
He departed in a beam of radiant love. Scot is survived by his wife,
Robin; son, James and extended family and friends across the country.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Elizabeth and Richard Halpin
and his older brother, Rick.

A celebration of his life will be held at the Unitarian Universalist
Church, 2120 N. Fee Lane, Bloomington, on Friday, February 22 at 7PM.

David

Feb 15, 2008, 3:44:37 PM2/15/08
Too bad. Pete just commented about him last week. He lived the Rock fans
dream. Show up at a concert and play with the band. I wish his family
well.

DGDevin

Feb 15, 2008, 6:01:36 PM2/15/08

"David" <djoseph56__No_SPaM___@___comcast.net> wrote in message

> Too bad. Pete just commented about him last week. He lived the Rock fans
> dream. Show up at a concert and play with the band. I wish his family
> well.

Fifty-four years old, that's way too early.

jeremi...@yahoo.co.uk

Feb 15, 2008, 8:10:37 PM2/15/08

Awful news. Wonder how he died? Very young :-(

jeremi...@yahoo.co.uk

Feb 16, 2008, 12:44:27 AM2/16/08
> Awful news. Wonder how he died? Very young :-(- Hide quoted text -

OK just read the bit about the tumour. Grim :-(

danspe...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2017, 11:09:52 PM11/20/17
I was always interested in that story.. AWESOME!!!