Greatest funk albums?

Raja, The Great

Dec 1, 2010, 8:09:00 PM12/1/10
I am giving JohnB and PR a chance now to discuss music other than
rock...since they constantly bitch about me not starting enough
discussions outside my favorite rock bands and mostly talking about
70s rock ...

These are the most highly rated albums (in the top 500 all time)( on
rateyourmusic.com (this site is based on votes by fans like you and I)

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly - Ranked 97
Curtis Mayfield - Curtis - Ranked 122
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain - Ranked 198
Sly And The Family Stone - Stand! - Ranked 246
Sly And The Family Stone - There is a Riot Going On - Ranked 259
James Brown - Love Power Peace, Live at the Olympia - Ranked 338
Parliament - Mothership Connection - Ranked 436

I have heard none of these albums except Superfly but I am going to
download all of them and let you know what I think ;-) I think I have
already heard the best funk album.

Other albums listed primarily as soul (but also listed as secondarily
funk albums)
Stevie Wonder - Innvervisions - Ranked 80
Stevie Wonder - Songs In the Key of Life - Ranked 109
Stevie Wonder - Talking Book - Ranked 374
Donny Hathaway - Live - Ranked 192
Bill Withers - Live At Carnegie Hall - Ranked 410
Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul - Ranked 474

Message has been deleted

Raja, The Great

Dec 1, 2010, 8:23:15 PM12/1/10
On Dec 1, 7:17 pm, poisoned rose <pro...@poisonedrose.com> wrote:

> "Raja, The" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am giving JohnB and PR a chance now to discuss music other than
> > rock...since they constantly bitch about me not starting enough
> > discussions outside my favorite rock bands and mostly talking about
> > 70s rock ...
>
> > These are the most highly rated albums (in the top 500 all time)( on
> > rateyourmusic.com (this site is based on votes by fans like you and I)
>
> > Curtis Mayfield - Superfly - Ranked 97
> > Curtis Mayfield - Curtis - Ranked 122
> > Funkadelic - Maggot Brain - Ranked 198
> > Sly And The Family Stone - Stand! - Ranked 246
> > Sly And The Family Stone - There is a Riot Going On - Ranked 259
> > James Brown - Love Power Peace, Live at the Olympia - Ranked 338
> > Parliament - Mothership Connection - Ranked 436
>
> > I have heard none of these albums except Superfly but I am going to
> > download all of them and let you know what I think ;-) I think I have
> > already heard the best funk album.
>
> <re-paste from a couple of days ago>
>
> Congratulations on discovering the existence of black pop music.
>
> Now, begin your standard algorithm:
>
> Phase 1: Google every "all-time best" list you can find that's focused
> on black artists and albums
>
> Phase 2: Steal some mp3 albums, and develop strong opinions on 8-10
> black artists.
>
> Phase 3: Abandon all further explorations, and apply yourself to
> re-examining "all-time best" lists and wringing your hands over whether
> they agree with your tastes or not.
>
> Phase 4: see Phase 3.

To you get paid to be nasty? Get a life, man...lol

billy

Dec 1, 2010, 9:47:16 PM12/1/10

You are giving them a chance to "talk" about music!!!! hahahaha holy
shit you are so nice raja I bet these guys thank god that you finally
gave them a chance to talk abot music!!

billy

Dec 1, 2010, 9:49:29 PM12/1/10
On Dec 1, 8:09 pm, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:

and as far as you downloading them and letting people know what you
think: please don't because NOBODY GIVES A RAT'S ASS!!!

Tim

Dec 1, 2010, 9:54:48 PM12/1/10
<<I have heard none of these albums except Superfly but I am going to
download all of them and let you know what I think>>

Gee, I can hardly wait.

Tim

Jim Beam

Dec 1, 2010, 11:54:09 PM12/1/10
On Dec 1, 8:09 pm, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:

I thought this was about Grand Funk Railroad when I read the header.

JohnB

Dec 2, 2010, 4:01:14 AM12/2/10

Sorry, but I'm not a fan of funk. I don't think I own one album by
anyone regarded as funk, though I'm not entirely sure of everything
that falls within the genre. I used to own a Stevie Wonder album but
it was stolen and I never bothered replacing it (it was the one with
Sir Duke on it). I am therefore not qualified to contribute to this
discussion (if it ever becomes one).

mcnews

Dec 2, 2010, 8:48:30 AM12/2/10
On Dec 1, 8:09 pm, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:

parliment - funkadelic = same buncha funkers

lots of funky stuff existed back then. ohio players, isley bros,
EW&F, mandrill, mothers finest. funk was the flavor of the day. and
not to be on topic, but john lennon helped david bowie get his 1st #1
by gettin funky.

Ray

Dec 2, 2010, 9:07:21 AM12/2/10
On Dec 1, 8:09 pm, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Holy shit, do these albums FUNK hard enough for your exalted taste oh
clueless one?

I thought you were hopeless on the subject of 'rock' music, but you've
crossed the rubicon now shit for brains. You do not have any business
here, move along. Funk is about a feeling, not about making lists,
counting notes or ranking things by record sales so here you go again
trying to prove you know something, all the while proving you know
nothing.

What do you hope to accomplish with this nonsense anyway?

Leave George Clinton and Sylvester Stone alone, they never did
anything to you.

Ray

Dec 2, 2010, 9:10:05 AM12/2/10
On Dec 1, 8:17 pm, poisoned rose <pro...@poisonedrose.com> wrote:
> "Raja, The" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am giving JohnB and PR a chance now to discuss music other than
> > rock...since they constantly bitch about me not starting enough
> > discussions outside my favorite rock bands and mostly talking about
> > 70s rock ...
>
> > These are the most highly rated albums (in the top 500 all time)( on
> > rateyourmusic.com (this site is based on votes by fans like you and I)
>
> > Curtis Mayfield - Superfly - Ranked 97
> > Curtis Mayfield - Curtis - Ranked 122
> > Funkadelic - Maggot Brain - Ranked 198
> > Sly And The Family Stone - Stand! - Ranked 246
> > Sly And The Family Stone - There is a Riot Going On - Ranked 259
> > James Brown - Love Power Peace, Live at the Olympia - Ranked 338
> > Parliament - Mothership Connection - Ranked 436
>
> > I have heard none of these albums except Superfly but I am going to
> > download all of them and let you know what I think ;-) I think I have
> > already heard the best funk album.
>
> <re-paste from a couple of days ago>
>
> Congratulations on discovering the existence of black pop music.
>
> Now, begin your standard algorithm:
>
> Phase 1: Google every "all-time best" list you can find that's focused
> on black artists and albums
>
> Phase 2: Steal some mp3 albums, and develop strong opinions on 8-10
> black artists.
>
> Phase 3: Abandon all further explorations, and apply yourself to
> re-examining "all-time best" lists and wringing your hands over whether
> they agree with your tastes or not.
>
> Phase 4: see Phase 3.- Hide quoted text -

There is method in his madness, but it is still madness.

Good post.

Raja, The Great

Dec 2, 2010, 9:10:43 AM12/2/10

Did you have your period again?

Jim Beam

Dec 2, 2010, 11:55:16 AM12/2/10
On Dec 1, 8:09 pm, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:

What's next disco?

Dan the Man

Dec 2, 2010, 12:18:17 PM12/2/10

I'm just waiting for someone to post, "Funk off, Raja." Maybe that's
too easy?

Raja, The Great

Dec 2, 2010, 12:18:34 PM12/2/10

Jim Beam

Dec 2, 2010, 12:20:01 PM12/2/10
> http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album...- Hide quoted text -

Just for once, give your own opinion.

Jim Beam

Dec 2, 2010, 12:21:30 PM12/2/10
> too easy?- Hide quoted text -

He still would not get it.

Raja, The Great

Dec 2, 2010, 12:25:41 PM12/2/10
> >http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album...Hide quoted text -

> Just for once, give your own opinion.- Hide quoted text -

I havent heard enough disco to form an opinion. It will be stupid to
form opinions on stuff you haven't read. It would like PR forming an
opinion on all underground metal without ever listening to them.

Raja, The Great

Dec 2, 2010, 12:26:19 PM12/2/10
> He still would not get it.- Hide quoted text -

Make that "He Still would not care" and I agree :-)

Jim Beam

Dec 2, 2010, 12:29:21 PM12/2/10
On Dec 2, 12:18 pm, Dan the Man <dan...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> too easy?- Hide quoted text -

He would think that it was an album and say that it was "underrated".

Raja, The Great

Dec 2, 2010, 12:30:59 PM12/2/10
> He would think that it was an album and say that it was "underrated".- Hide quoted text -

Talking to yourself now?

Ray

Dec 2, 2010, 12:32:10 PM12/2/10
> Did you have your period again?- Hide quoted text -

Wow, that's so almost witty. Another area you know NOTHING about. Your
wealth of ignorance is astounding.

Ultimately, what, exactly, is your point? Do you not think that anyone
here could go to a 'rating' site and see a list of performers in some
arbitrary order? Do you not understand that these lists have no
relation to, nor any effect on, the merits of the work? Furthermore,
using a list site that is almost exclusively populated by rock music
fans, you will not get an indicitive sampling of good "funk" music.

I have a question for you, shit for brains. IN YOUR OWN WORDS (just
this once) What's the difference between Funk and Disco?

Raja, The Great

Dec 2, 2010, 12:42:30 PM12/2/10

Are you this retarded? What is stoping the funk fans to come to the
site? It doesn't say rateyourrockmusic.com. It is rateyourMUSIC.com.
Everyone comes in there and votes. not just rock fans, you baffoon.
Jazz artists are much better rated than rock artists on that site.
Check it out first before you spew further garbage.

> I have a question for you, shit for brains. IN YOUR OWN WORDS (just

> this once) What's the difference between Funk and Disco?- Hide quoted text -

Raja, The Great

Dec 2, 2010, 12:49:10 PM12/2/10
> this once) What's the difference between Funk and Disco?- Hide quoted text -

From what little funk and disco have heard, I can say funk led to
disco. Funk is the mix of the smoothness of soul, the trippiness of
psychedelia and the rhythm/beat of rock music. Disco is just an
electronized version of Funk. It is also more melodic and poppy. These
are my own words. I know you will laugh at it, because you are an
asshole. The only thing predictable here is assaholic behaviour of
certain rmb posters like you and PR. You will always ask questions,
wait for me to answer and then mock at it. I am done with this
nonsense. Next time you ask a question, I am going to ask you guys to
fuck off.

Now I ask a question. If my response was wrong, please tell us in your
own words, what is the difference between funk and disco? I bet you
won't answer this. PR and you are exactly the same in this kind of
behaviour.

Jim Beam

Dec 2, 2010, 12:56:11 PM12/2/10
> > >http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album...quoted text -

> > Just for once, give your own opinion.- Hide quoted text -

> I havent heard enough disco to form an opinion. It will be stupid to
> form opinions on stuff you haven't read. It would like PR forming an
> opinion on all underground metal without ever listening to them.- Hide quoted text -

Don't read, listen.

Jim Beam

Dec 2, 2010, 12:59:44 PM12/2/10
> > >http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album...quoted text -

> > Just for once, give your own opinion.- Hide quoted text -

> I havent heard enough disco to form an opinion. It will be stupid to
> form opinions on stuff you haven't read. It would like PR forming an
> opinion on all underground metal without ever listening to them.- Hide quoted text -

If anything, PR would listen first then form an opinion.

Ray

Dec 2, 2010, 1:48:48 PM12/2/10

I can tell by the list of albums you posted, schmuck.

Ray

Dec 2, 2010, 1:49:20 PM12/2/10
> behaviour.- Hide quoted text -

Funk is disco that doesn't suck. how's that?

Jim Beam

Dec 2, 2010, 1:58:15 PM12/2/10
> Funk is disco that doesn't suck. how's that?- Hide quoted text -

In all fairness the Bee Gees were pretty damn good, not a big disco
fan but
had to learn how to bust a move to pick up the girls way back when.

Howard Stark

Dec 2, 2010, 2:01:59 PM12/2/10
Raja and the Vag Lubers.

Jim Beam

Dec 2, 2010, 2:07:10 PM12/2/10
On Dec 2, 2:01 pm, "Howard Stark" <i...@dad.com> wrote:
> Raja and the Vag Lubers.

Correction: Raja and the Anal Lubers.
They opened the Village People.

Raja, The Great

Dec 2, 2010, 2:16:19 PM12/2/10
> Funk is disco that doesn't suck. how's that?- Hide quoted text -

Wow such an intelligent answer. If I answered like that you would have
called me a manchild or something like that.

mcnewsxp

Dec 2, 2010, 2:22:20 PM12/2/10

"Raja, The Great" <zepf...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

true disco has a driving bass drum beat thru the entire song. DJs used to
sync up the tempo of the next song via headphones so that sucking never
stops.
true funk uses broke down synchopated beats.

Raja, The Great

Dec 2, 2010, 2:55:35 PM12/2/10
On Dec 2, 1:22 pm, "mcnewsxp" <mcbassgui...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:c5860a95-0839-49fe...@m20g2000prc.googlegroups.com...
> true funk uses broke down synchopated beats.- Hide quoted text -

Good observation. Thanks for the explanation. Never thought along
those lines. What do you think is the difference between Reggae and
Funk? Do you consider them related or unrelated?

Howard Stark

Dec 2, 2010, 3:02:16 PM12/2/10

"Jim Beam" <Tenbee...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Actually, that's implying that Raja has a vagina....he does...

mcnewsxp

Dec 2, 2010, 3:20:57 PM12/2/10

"Raja, The Great" <zepf...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

i heard somewhere that raggae evolved from poor radio reception on the
islands. pop songs sort of skipping over the ocean. the beat is in a
different place than funk and the dancing is much looser - more of a glide
than a jerk.

Ray

Dec 2, 2010, 3:26:24 PM12/2/10
On Dec 2, 3:20 pm, "mcnewsxp" <mcbassgui...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:148bff35-b969-4c7a...@n2g2000pre.googlegroups.com...
> than a jerk.- Hide quoted text -

Prior to reggae Jamaican pop music was called "ska", a similar beat,
but typically a much faster tempo. (look up Don Drummond, the Original
Wailers, for examples) the story I have heard is that one summer it
got way to hot down there to dance that fast, so they slowed it down
some and there you go.

Ray

Dec 2, 2010, 3:33:29 PM12/2/10
> had to learn how to bust a move to pick up the girls way back when.- Hide quoted text -

Then they were funky.

Actually, my intent was not to define a genre, rather to mock a
certain poster and his obsession with categories. I have heard funky
music played by bands from all manner of backgrounds from the Talking
Heads to Little Feat to Bonerama and the P-Funk All Stars... which
'box' do you put all that in?

beats me

Ray

Dec 2, 2010, 3:37:31 PM12/2/10
On Dec 2, 2:22 pm, "mcnewsxp" <mcbassgui...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:c5860a95-0839-49fe...@m20g2000prc.googlegroups.com...
> true funk uses broke down synchopated beats.- Hide quoted text -

What I tend to think of as the big divide between 'typical' disco and
'typical' funk is that disco tended to be shaped more by producers
(lots of disco 'bands' were not even bands at all, just people sent
out to tour behind a record put together in a studio by someone like
georgio moroder.) whereas funk was much more a product of musicians
and self contained bands like P-Funk, James Brown's Band or the
Brothers Johnson.

Now, shall we divert into TSOP? Because the waters get sort of
muddy....

Jim Beam

Dec 2, 2010, 4:25:28 PM12/2/10
> beats me- Hide quoted text -

With all this talk about what genre and which band is what, The
Beatles, Sones and
even Led Zep could be added to the genre of Soft Rock or even Easy
Listning.
It's all music to me.

RichL

Dec 2, 2010, 6:50:02 PM12/2/10
"Ray" <6sicks...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Or just listen to, e.g., Sublime or No Doubt. Ska revivalists, more or
less.

Alice Bowie

Dec 2, 2010, 7:11:50 PM12/2/10
On Dec 1, 8:09 pm, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am giving JohnB and PR a chance now to discuss music other than
> rock...since they constantly bitch about me not starting enough
> discussions outside my favorite rock bands and mostly talking about
> 70s rock ...
>
> These are the most highly rated albums (in the top 500 all time)( on
> rateyourmusic.com (this site is based on votes by fans like you and I)
>
> Curtis Mayfield - Superfly - Ranked 97
> Curtis Mayfield - Curtis - Ranked 122
> Funkadelic - Maggot Brain - Ranked 198
> Sly And The Family Stone - Stand! - Ranked 246
> Sly And The Family Stone - There is a Riot Going On - Ranked 259
> James Brown - Love Power Peace, Live at the Olympia - Ranked 338
> Parliament - Mothership Connection - Ranked 436
>
> I have heard none of these albums except Superfly but I am going to
> download all of them and let you know what I think ;-) I think I have
> already heard the best funk album.

Your ignorance of funk is stunning -- but then again, I guess I
shouldn't be stunned by another blast of ignorance from you.

No EWF. No Bootsy (except for the PFunk). No Tower Of Power. No Graham
Central.
No fucking METERS?!

Just stop, unless you're a masochist.

billy

Dec 3, 2010, 12:14:33 AM12/3/10
On Dec 2, 12:18 pm, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 2, 10:55 am, Jim Beam <Tenbeers1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 1, 8:09 pm, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I am giving JohnB and PR a chance now to discuss music other than
> > > rock...since they constantly bitch about me not starting enough
> > > discussions outside my favorite rock bands and mostly talking about
> > > 70s rock ...
>
> > > These are the most highly rated albums (in the top 500 all time)( on
> > > rateyourmusic.com (this site is based on votes by fans like you and I)
>
> > > Curtis Mayfield - Superfly - Ranked 97
> > > Curtis Mayfield - Curtis - Ranked 122
> > > Funkadelic - Maggot Brain - Ranked 198
> > > Sly And The Family Stone - Stand! - Ranked 246
> > > Sly And The Family Stone - There is a Riot Going On - Ranked 259
> > > James Brown - Love Power Peace, Live at the Olympia - Ranked 338
> > > Parliament - Mothership Connection - Ranked 436
>
> > > I have heard none of these albums except Superfly but I am going to
> > > download all of them and let you know what I think ;-) I think I have
> > > already heard the best funk album.
>
> > > Other albums listed primarily as soul (but also listed as secondarily
> > > funk albums)
> > > Stevie Wonder - Innvervisions - Ranked 80
> > > Stevie Wonder - Songs In the Key of Life - Ranked 109
> > > Stevie Wonder - Talking Book - Ranked 374
> > > Donny Hathaway - Live - Ranked 192
> > > Bill Withers - Live At Carnegie Hall - Ranked 410
> > > Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul - Ranked 474
>
> > What's next disco?- Hide quoted text -

> Why not?
>
> The highest rated disco albums on RYM
>
> http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album...- Hide quoted text -

Fuck off raja!

billy

Dec 3, 2010, 12:15:58 AM12/3/10
On Dec 2, 12:25 pm, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album...quoted text -

> > Just for once, give your own opinion.- Hide quoted text -

> I havent heard enough disco to form an opinion. It will be stupid to
> form opinions on stuff you haven't read. It would like PR forming an
> opinion on all underground metal without ever listening to them.- Hide quoted text -

You havn't heard enough music PERIOD to have an opinion. AND all your
reference points are Eastern NOT Western

billy

Dec 3, 2010, 12:17:49 AM12/3/10
> called  me a manchild or something like that.- Hide quoted text -

try hearing the music instead of reading top 100 lists to get your
opinions dumbass

Raja, The Great

Dec 3, 2010, 12:37:11 AM12/3/10

Bastard.... I just listed the top rated albums on RYM. Thats all.

Alice Bowie

Dec 3, 2010, 12:43:14 AM12/3/10
On Dec 3, 12:37 am, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bastard.... I just listed the top rated albums on RYM. Thats all.

Why?

Why would you crosspost someone else's shite list of funk artists to
four classic rock newsgroups?

billy

Dec 3, 2010, 11:38:55 AM12/3/10
> Bastard.... I just listed the top rated albums on RYM. Thats all.- Hide quoted text -

"I am giving JohnB and PR a chance now to discuss music other than
rock..."

billy

Dec 3, 2010, 11:41:09 AM12/3/10
On Dec 2, 4:01 am, JohnB <johnbo...@tinyworld.co.uk> wrote:

> On Dec 2, 2:47 am, billy <goodcommerc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 1, 8:09 pm, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I am giving JohnB and PR a chance now to discuss music other than
> > > rock...since they constantly bitch about me not starting enough
> > > discussions outside my favorite rock bands and mostly talking about
> > > 70s rock ...
>
> > > These are the most highly rated albums (in the top 500 all time)( on
> > > rateyourmusic.com (this site is based on votes by fans like you and I)
>
> > > Curtis Mayfield - Superfly - Ranked 97
> > > Curtis Mayfield - Curtis - Ranked 122
> > > Funkadelic - Maggot Brain - Ranked 198
> > > Sly And The Family Stone - Stand! - Ranked 246
> > > Sly And The Family Stone - There is a Riot Going On - Ranked 259
> > > James Brown - Love Power Peace, Live at the Olympia - Ranked 338
> > > Parliament - Mothership Connection - Ranked 436
>
> > > I have heard none of these albums except Superfly but I am going to
> > > download all of them and let you know what I think ;-) I think I have
> > > already heard the best funk album.
>
> > > Other albums listed primarily as soul (but also listed as secondarily
> > > funk albums)
> > > Stevie Wonder - Innvervisions - Ranked 80
> > > Stevie Wonder - Songs In the Key of Life - Ranked 109
> > > Stevie Wonder - Talking Book - Ranked 374
> > > Donny Hathaway - Live - Ranked 192
> > > Bill Withers - Live At Carnegie Hall - Ranked 410
> > > Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul - Ranked 474
>
> > You are giving them a chance to "talk" about music!!!! hahahaha holy
> > shit you are so nice raja I bet these guys thank god that you finally
> > gave them a chance to talk abot music!!
>
> Sorry, but I'm not a fan of funk. I don't think I own one album by
> anyone regarded as funk, though I'm not entirely sure of everything
> that falls within the genre. I used to own a Stevie Wonder album but
> it was stolen and I never bothered replacing it (it was the one with
> Sir Duke on it). I am therefore not qualified to contribute to this
> discussion (if it ever becomes one).- Hide quoted text -

well then I am glad raja "gave JohnB and PR a chance now to discuss
music other than rock...