Rare Weird Al demo found!

awori...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2018, 10:16:20 PM6/15/18
Back in 1985, when he was writing for what would become the Polka Party! album, Weird Al came up with the idea to write lyrics to instrumental TV theme songs. He always liked the theme to the short-lived Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour, which by then had been adopted by The Price is Right as prize music. He came up with the idea to turn it into a song about the Care Bears Movie, and recorded a rough demo with unfinished lyrics. Rick Derringer and the Scotti Bros. suits rejected this idea, saying that nobody would get it, but you can listen to it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBG54wvEe20

(Ignore the attributions to some guy named Erik, this really is Weird Al!)

Vanna Fan

Jun 15, 2018, 10:33:02 PM6/15/18
I even have proof! He mentioned the Care Bears Movie in "You Make Me"!

jmfabi...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2018, 9:32:38 AM6/16/18
I knew Mokracek would try to take credit for this. Thanks for the info!!! :-D :-D :-D

Now, did Weird Al also sing the Classix theme?

Vanna Fan

Jun 16, 2018, 11:43:25 AM6/16/18
Of course! He is known for making up channels like UHF.

I also found a more polished version of the MG/HS Hour song here. It seems like Mokracek still wants to take credit for it. https://soundcloud.com/user-400148733/erik-mokracek-jason-stands-by-his-desk-at-his-school/s-pktJQ

awori...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2018, 4:08:12 PM6/16/18
Oh yeah, I hear that one was made for the Medium Rarities disc on his Squeeze Box set. He got permission from American Greetings to do a song about the Care Bears Movie, but Edd Kalehoff refused to give him permission to use the theme, calling Al a "musical pedophile" (the same description he used for Robert Israel of Score Productions).