Music artists that "Jumped the Shark"

TMC

Jul 8, 2012, 9:29:56 PM7/8/12
http://officialfan.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=offtopic&action=display&thread=439611

This could be an interesting thread. By jumping the shark in this
thread, of course I'm talking about when we look back on an artist's
glory days. It's all subjective, but for argument's sake, I'd say
someone like John Mellencamp, career wise and popularity wise jumped
the shark in the early '90s. Maybe Wild Night in 1994 was his last
relevant song (and a cover song at that). If MTV was around today they
wouldn't play him, and I'm sure he's happy and doesn't care because
he's doing his music, but let's face it, who wouldn't like a hit song
and to be as popular as they were at their peak?

Maybe they don't want to be chased around like they were then and have
their privacy, but it seems after a point, the times have passed them
by, or they ran of of ideas.

I'm not talking about artists that get critical acclaim now,that
doesn't mean anything in this case. I'm speaking of artists that could
once fill arenas and now barely fill a club. That's jumping the shark
in this case. They aren't the same anymore.

Often times it's when they go through a change in life. Starting a
family, getting married, losing someone. Taking a long break.

I love Tom Petty, but to me, his career jumped the shark after
Wildflowers. he's only gone gold since then. Does it matter? Well for
this thread it does. Tom Petty can still fill arenas, which is good,
but he's still not the force he was in the '70s and '80s

Thoughts?

Christopher Helms

Jul 8, 2012, 9:46:39 PM7/8/12
On Jul 8, 8:29 pm, TMC <tmc1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://officialfan.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=offtopic&action=disp...
They say Petty is a very dedicated musician. I have no idea.

Genesis was about as popular as you can get back in the day, then they
got all socially conscious with that cloying "No Son of Mine" video
and that was the end of them, for all practical purposes.

Christopher Helms

Jul 8, 2012, 10:03:56 PM7/8/12
Something else that was happening for a long time was a band with a
female lead singer would come along, would be very popular and then
the record companies would clip the singer off from the rest of the
band as a solo act, they would have one or two minor hits that would
have to be almost forced onto the public and then they'd usually
vanish. It happened with:

Belinda Carlyle
Edie Brickell
Maria McKee
Susanna Hoffs
Gwen Stafani, who had massive success singing through her nose with No
Doubt and now pushes personal care products