Re: VANGELIS

Stoned in Arrakeen

Jan 13, 2010, 4:21:14 PM1/13/10
Raine Hilson just found us on 13/01/2010 14:36:
> Hi Blade Runner Group -
>
> I have just found you -
> I was Vangelis's Sound Engineer in the early 80's and worked on
> Blade Runner -
>
> If anyone has any questions regarding the music or sound effects -
> I'm happy to answer any questions
>
> Cheers
> Raine Hilson (nee Shine)

Hi! I always wondered about the name "Raine Shine" on the album .........

A few questions I wouldn't mind being answered are as follows :

(1) Were you at all surprised that the music took so long to be released
officially?

(2) What's the story about the use of "Memories of Green" (from V's "See
You Later" album) being used for the soundtrack? I know Ridley Scott
liked it, but what did Vangelis say about it?

(3) Were you familiar with, and/or like the electronic music of the day?
Frederick Rousseau worked with other electronic musicians, like Jarre
for instance, which must have helped with the project.

(4) I've always thought that the track "One More Kiss, Dear" is the
proverbial 'fly in the ointment' on the album. What's your opinion?

(5) What do you think of the extra material on the 25th anniversary
re-issue?

....... and nice to hear from you.

Raine Hilson

Jan 13, 2010, 5:17:22 PM1/13/10
ok - nice one - Here goes...

(1) Were you at all surprised that the music took so long to be released
> officially?

Not at all - Vangelis was extremely reluctant to release the music at all -
the clips were all mainly 30 seconds long to about 2 1/2 minutes long and
he would have had to do alot of work to get these into shape for album-type
tracks -

I worked with him until 1984 so I can't answer you as to why he finally
changed his mind as the tracks were released after my time.

(2) What's the story about the use of "Memories of Green" (from V's "See
> You Later" album) being used for the soundtrack? I know Ridley Scott liked
> it, but what did Vangelis say about it?

The "See You Later" album was not critically acclaimed - it was only really
popular with staunch Vangelis fans and when he was thinking about music
for that scene - he asked me to go get the "Memories of Green" multi-track
out and it seemed to fit so totally amazingly that he decided to go ahead
and
use it.

(3) Were you familiar with, and/or like the electronic music of the day?
> Frederick Rousseau worked with other electronic musicians, like Jarre for
> instance, which must have helped with the project.

Personally - I knew Jean Michel Jarre's music as I had used it in my
previous
job and I totally loved Vangelis's previous works like Spiral and "I See You
Now"
with Jon Anderson - but it didn't really have any bearing at all on the
Blade Runner
Film.

(4) I've always thought that the track "One More Kiss, Dear" is the
> proverbial 'fly in the ointment' on the album. What's your opinion?

This track was written and sorted out by Peter Skellern - recorded in
Wembley
without my input at all - it was just mean't to be sort of on the radio
playing while
Deckard ate his noodles - it was equalised with all the bass and all the
treble taken
out to make it sound like an old-type radio and it was there really to try
and create
an old-fashioned type mood in a futuristic time.

My personal opinion - it was ok - didn't really like it or hate it alot one
way or
another.

(5) What do you think of the extra material on the 25th anniversary
> re-issue?

Again it's just my personal opinion - but when I hear the original music
from the
original film - it totally takes me back to 1981 when we recorded it -
remember this
was all done pre-computers and pre-digital so I would have to line up the
video on
a VCR and count in 10 seconds before the track started - so I have alot of
feelings
and memories about recording the music and FX -

The new tracks are fine and dandy but don't emote the feelings that I have
for the
actual original recordings.

Cheers
Raine

"Stoned in Arrakeen" <stoned@arrakeen> wrote in message

Stoned in Arrakeen

Jan 14, 2010, 4:11:20 AM1/14/10
Raine Hilson replied on 13/01/2010 22:17:

> ok - nice one - Here goes...

Thanks for the answers!

>> (1) Were you at all surprised that the music took so long to be
>> released officially?
>>
> Not at all - Vangelis was extremely reluctant to release the music at all -
> the clips were all mainly 30 seconds long to about 2 1/2 minutes long and
> he would have had to do alot of work to get these into shape for album
> -type tracks -

Sure. Still, there was always the orchestral version by the 'New
American Orchestra' to keep us all going (http://tinyurl.com/ya2omtu).
Those guys sure were mean, rockin' muthas, as I believe Americans say.
They kicked "ass", and all that. Check out the "Review by pipecock" on
that site, by the way. He's got a lot of soul.

>> (2) What's the story about the use of "Memories of Green" (from V's "See
>> You Later" album) being used for the soundtrack? I know Ridley Scott
>> liked it, but what did Vangelis say about it?
>>
> The "See You Later" album was not critically acclaimed - it was only really
> popular with staunch Vangelis fans and when he was thinking about music
> for that scene - he asked me to go get the "Memories of Green" multi-track
> out and it seemed to fit so totally amazingly that he decided to go ahead
> and use it.

Ah - that's a new bit of info ........ him asking you to get it, I mean.
As for the 'See You Later' album, I've always liked it - but then I'm
one of those staunch fans. Having said that, though, I find his
'Mythodea' album to be completely unlistenable.

>> (3) Were you familiar with, and/or like the electronic music of the day?
>> Frederick Rousseau worked with other electronic musicians, like Jarre
>> for instance, which must have helped with the project.
>>
> Personally - I knew Jean Michel Jarre's music as I had used it in my
> previous job and I totally loved Vangelis's previous works like Spiral and
> "I See You Now" with Jon Anderson - but it didn't really have any bearing
> at all on the Blade Runner Film.

That's "I Hear You Now"! Vangelis almost joined Jon Anderson's band, you
know. But he didn't. Good to know you like Jarre. Though I lost interest
in him with his later albums, his first two are classics. They, like V's
"Spiral" are good examples of 'Berlin School' electronica
(http://tinyurl.com/cclpsp). There's quite a resurgence of that going
on, these days.

>> (4) I've always thought that the track "One More Kiss, Dear" is the
>> proverbial 'fly in the ointment' on the album. What's your opinion?
>>

> My personal opinion - it was ok - didn't really like it or hate it alot
> one way or another.

It's not so much the song in itself, but the way it clashes with the
rest of the music. There's so much of V's stuff *not* on the album which
could have replaced it, I think.

>> (5) What do you think of the extra material on the 25th anniversary
>> re-issue?
>>

> The new tracks are fine and dandy but don't emote the feelings that I
> have for the actual original recordings.

That's understandable. I'm still forming my opinions on it.

PS
Deckard - was he human, or replicant?

Raine Hilson

Jan 14, 2010, 6:41:58 AM1/14/10
Hiya -

I went to see Vangelis in Athens in 2001 when he performed Mythodea with
a mass of people on stage - it was brilliant in the open-air under the greek
sky
and it was a magical night - so it makes the album more paleatable as it
provokes
memories !

I hear you Now - yes that's what I mean't - I remember it was the first
thing I heard
on the speakers in Nemo and it blew me away !

Deckard - human or android - the whole point of the film was to leave it as
a question
mark - not proved one way or another - so I've never worried about the
argument as
there is no definitive answer

Cheers
Raine

"Stoned in Arrakeen" <stoned@arrakeen> wrote in message

progea

Jan 14, 2010, 11:27:31 PM1/14/10
Cross-posting the entire thread on alt.music.yes too. Raine Hilson
(nee Shine) was Vangelis's sound engineer in the early '80s and worked
on Blade Runner. She mentions Jon Anderson. The original poster
mentions "Vangels almost joined Jon's band" ;)
http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.music.vangelis/browse_thread/thread/300c3814d0a56c7f?hl=en#

Lukas Mariman

Jan 15, 2010, 4:43:10 PM1/15/10
Hello Raine - and welcome to this ng - I was wondering if you have any
insights on what happened between Vangelis and Jon Anderson some years ago.

They used to be good friends and released some fabulous albums.

Then there was this "Page of Life" business which reportedly p*ssed Vangelis
off, and he supposedly broke off his friendship with Jon...

__________ Informatie van ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versie van database viruskenmerken 4776 (20100115) __________

Het bericht is gecontroleerd door ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

Raine Hilson

Jan 16, 2010, 1:12:59 PM1/16/10
Hi there Lukas =

Sorry can't help you there -
I worked on 2 Jon & Vangelis Albums - one was recorded at Nemo and
the other in Paris - they were on good terms all the time - whatever
happened
with them after I left Vangelis in 1984 - I'm afraid I have no idea.

Cheers
Raine

"Lukas Mariman" <lukas....@REMOVEgmail.com> wrote in message

Álvaro Franco

Jan 19, 2010, 4:02:06 PM1/19/10
Hello Raine,

Great to hear from you. Speaking as an unofficial Blade Runner
historian since I love the score so much (it's one of my all-time
favorites), I have a very specific question for you: during Deckard's
unicorn dream, we hear a music cue that also appeared in the movie
Antarctica. Was this cue originally recorded for Blade Runner and
recycled in Antarctica, or was it recorded for Antarctica and reused
for the BR Director's Cut?

Álvaro

Raine Hilson

Jan 22, 2010, 9:43:12 AM1/22/10
Hi Alvaro -

I worked on both films but can't quite place which music cue you mean....

I would guess that it was recorded originally for Blade Runner and used
again
for Antarctica but would need to hear it just to remember - I'm sorry I
can't be
of more help but I don't have a copy of the Directors Cut at home and can't
remember
which cue it is but I do have a slight recollection that we may have used
something in
Antarctica that came from the Blade Runner music.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Raine

"�lvaro Franco" <agfra...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Hello Raine,

�lvaro

Álvaro Franco

Jan 23, 2010, 11:31:46 PM1/23/10
Hello Raine,

Thanks for your answer!

I can make a mp3 sample of the unicorn dream cue I'm referring to, if
that can help you remember.

Just a few more questions about BR:

-Is the film version of the 'Main Titles' cue supposed to segue into
the 'Leon's Interrogation' cue, or are they meant to be separate?
-How much source music did Vangelis compose for the movie?
-Were there a lot of alternate cues recorded?
-Would you be able to remember where the unused cues correspond?

Also, I'm assuming you worked with Vangelis on the score for
"Missing". If I'm correct, could you shed some light as to why there
was never an official score album for that movie?

MANY thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

Thanks,
Álvaro

Raine Hilson

Jan 24, 2010, 5:55:05 PM1/24/10

-Is the film version of the 'Main Titles' cue supposed to segue into
the 'Leon's Interrogation' cue, or are they meant to be separate?

The film version always segue-wayed (!?) into Leon's interrogation -
they were never separate.

-How much source music did Vangelis compose for the movie?
-Were there a lot of alternate cues recorded?

Most of the film music was original and there were also alot of different
cuts
of scenes and alot of the time - Vangelis would start from scratch so for
instance -
if a scene was 1m 20secs and he wrote some music for it and then they edited
it down to 1m 02secs - then he would often start from scratch again - so
yes -
there was lots and lots of source music !

-Would you be able to remember where the unused cues correspond?

Sorrry - no idea where they are or what happened to them

Also, I'm assuming you worked with Vangelis on the score for
"Missing". If I'm correct, could you shed some light as to why there
was never an official score album for that movie?

Yes I worked on Missing - such an amazingly sad film - again - film music
is written for scenes and scenes often don't last long enough for the music
to make an album track - so alot of sequences could be only 45 seconds
long or 1m 20secs long and it just doesn't make for a coherent album.

MANY thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

Thanks,
�lvaro

You're welcome !

Hello Raine,

Thanks for your answer!

I can make a mp3 sample of the unicorn dream cue I'm referring to, if
that can help you remember.

Just a few more questions about BR:

-Is the film version of the 'Main Titles' cue supposed to segue into
the 'Leon's Interrogation' cue, or are they meant to be separate?
-How much source music did Vangelis compose for the movie?
-Were there a lot of alternate cues recorded?
-Would you be able to remember where the unused cues correspond?

Also, I'm assuming you worked with Vangelis on the score for
"Missing". If I'm correct, could you shed some light as to why there
was never an official score album for that movie?

MANY thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

Thanks,
�lvaro

Álvaro Franco

Jan 24, 2010, 7:02:21 PM1/24/10
Raine,

Many, many thanks for your answers! The unused BR cues I was referring
to included "Damask Rose", "Mechanical Dolls", "One Alone", "Blush
Response", "Rachel's Song", "Longing", and "Empty Streets". I was
curious as to where they corresponded.

Also, do you think Vangelis would be receptive to specialty labels
like Film Score Monthly, Intrada Records, or La-La Land Records
releasing his work in complete form?

Raine Hilson

Jan 25, 2010, 4:45:04 PM1/25/10

> Many, many thanks for your answers! The unused BR cues I was referring
> to included "Damask Rose", "Mechanical Dolls", "One Alone", "Blush
> Response", "Rachel's Song", "Longing", and "Empty Streets". I was
> curious as to where they corresponded.

I'm afraid I would have to listen to them to try and remember !

> Also, do you think Vangelis would be receptive to specialty labels
> like Film Score Monthly, Intrada Records, or La-La Land Records
> releasing his work in complete form?

I'm afraid I can't talk for Vangelis so I can't answer your question.

"�lvaro Franco" <agfra...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Jon TMW

Feb 13, 2010, 8:53:04 AM2/13/10

Hi Raine. Thanks for your interesting answers!

Raine Hilson wrote:

> (2) What's the story about the use of "Memories of Green" (from V's "See
>> You Later" album) being used for the soundtrack? I know Ridley Scott
>> liked it, but what did Vangelis say about it?
>
> The "See You Later" album was not critically acclaimed - it was only
> really popular with staunch Vangelis fans and when he was thinking about
> music for that scene - he asked me to go get the "Memories of Green"
> multi-track out and it seemed to fit so totally amazingly that he decided
> to go ahead and
> use it.

Did you work on "See You Later"? I like it, but then I'm another of those
staunch fans.

I was wondering if you knew anything about the final track, "Suffocation",
which seems to be related to the photo on the back cover of the LP. I can
understand the English and French lyrics and I've seen a translation of
the sections in Italian, but despite this I've never been completely sure
what the song is about, and wondered if you knew anything about it. Does
it refer to a real incident or is it purely imaginative?

Thanks for any light you can shed - Jon

--
_____________________ ____ _____________________________________________
\ _/__

JohnA

Feb 21, 2010, 7:05:50 AM2/21/10
On Feb 13, 7:53 am, Jon TMW <j...@serf.org> wrote:
> Did you work on "See You Later"? I like it, but then I'm another of those
> staunch fans.
>
> I was wondering if you knew anything about the final track [sic], "Suffocation",

> which seems to be related to the photo on the back cover of the LP. I can
> understand the English and French lyrics and I've seen a translation of
> the sections in Italian, but despite this I've never been completely sure
> what the song is about, and wondered if you knew anything about it. Does
> it refer to a real incident or is it purely imaginative?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/See_You_Later

"Suffocation" was, according to later interviews, inspired by a
chemical incident in Italy (10 July 1976 at Seveso, Lombardy in the La
Roche factory). It employs the CR-5000 and a saw wave synthesizer
melody, followed by an eerie brass and megaphone emergency
announcements in Italian. The second (slower) half of the piece
features vocals by Jon Anderson and a narrative in Italian, by Krisma
(Maurizio Arcieri and Christina Moser).