alt.music.u2 FAQ, Part 1/5

jbr...@prodigy.com

Oct 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/16/96

Archive-name: music/U2-faq/part1
Alt-fan-U2-archive-name: fan/U2-faq/part1

U2 FAQ version 1.1a
******************
Maintained by Maryann Stump jbr...@prodigy.com or
stu...@gunet.georgetown.edu
Originated by Sergio Lucero slu...@cipres.cec.uchile.cl

(New questions/answers are marked with a %, Incomplete questions are
marked with a #)
CONTENTS
0. General information on this FAQ list
0.1 What has changed since last time?
% 0.2 Where can I find the latest version of this list?

1. U2 and The Internet
1.1 How do I subscribe to the Wire mailling-list?
1.2 Where can I find U2-related files via ftp?
1.3 Are there any U2-related newsgroups?
1.4 Are there any U2 WWW sites?
%1.5 What about the online services?
%1.6 Is there a U2 channel on IRC?

2. Stories for Boys
2.1 The early years
2.1.1 Who started U2 and when? How did they get those wacky
nicknames?
2.1.2 Where does the name U2 come from?
2.1.3 Which band members were/are in U2?
2.1.4 Who's the boy on the cover of "Boy" and "War"?
2.1.5 Wait, I don't see a boy on the "Boy" cover!!
2.1.6 What is said at the end of "Another Time, Another Place"?
2.1.7 What is the meaning behind the title "An Cat Dubh"?
2.1.8 Who is Gavin Friday?

2.2 October to The Unforgettable Fire
2.2.1 Where is the castle on the cover of "The Unforgettable Fire"?
2.2.2 Where did the idea for "The Unforgettable Fire" come from?
2.2.3 Tell me all about the song "Pride (in the name of love)"

2.3 Rock's Hottest Ticket - The Joshua Tree and Rattle & Hum
2.3.1 Is The Joshua Tree the biggest U2 album ever?
2.3.2 What's the story behind "Where the Streets have no name"?
2.3.3 Who are Greg Carrol and Jara in "One Tree Hill"?
2.3.4 Tell me about the Negativland incident
2.3.5 In the Song Angel of Harlem, what is "BLS"?
2.3.6 What is The Joshua Trio?
% 2.3.7 Why haven't I seen the video for Red Hill Mining Town?
% 2.3.8 Who dies at the end of the All I Want is You video?
% 2.3.9 Was JT originally a double album?
% 2.3.10 What does Hawkmoon 269 mean?

2.4 Awards
2.4.1 Grammys
2.4.2 Brit Awards
2.4.3 MTV Awards
2.4.4 Rolling Stone
2.4.5 Other
This section is under construction.

3. ZooTV - Achtung Baby and Zooropa
3.1 What characters does Bono use in shows?
3.1.1 Who's in the picture on MacPhisto's dressing table in the Sydney
video?
3.2 What is Automatic Baby? Will there be an album?
3.3 Who is Wim Wenders?
3.4 Who is Charles Bukowski?
3.5 Who is William Gibson, and what is Neuromancer?
3.6 What's all this fuss about the 'Lemon' video?
% 3.7 What does Vosprung Durch Technik mean in Zooropa?

4. Discography
4.1 What studio albums have been released?
# 4.2 Solo projects/collaborations.
# 4.3 Soundtracks

5. Books, videos, bootlegs
# 5.1 What books are there on U2?
5.2 What videos are there?
5.2.1 Full-Length videos
# 5.2.2 Single-Song videos
5.3 What's a bootleg?
5.3.1 Where can I buy bootlegs?

6. Fanclubs, Fanzines, and Propaganda
# 6.1 Addresses of U2 fanclubs
% 6.2 What are fanzines? What fanzines are available?

7. Gossip
7.1 Marital status
7.1.1 Any children?
7.1.2 Any pets?
7.2 How tall is Bono anyway?
7.3 I heard that Bono is god.
7.3.1 I heard that Bono will be playing god in a movie.
7.4 Injured in the cause.
% 7.5 Is Edge on the Internet? aka, Does Edge read this newsgroup?
7.9 Bottom feeding
7.9.1 Until Further Notice, All of the Following is FALSE
7.9.2 However, oddly enough . . . .
7.9.3 What's the deal with Bono's guesthouse?
This Section is undergoing construction. Please be patient.

#8. What if I played it backwards? [Hidden messages, etc]
% 8.1 Seconds
Also under construction

0. General information on this FAQ list

[MJS] The U2 FAQ was started by Sergio Lucero
(slu...@cipres.cec.uchile.cl), his last edition of the FAQ (version 0.8)
was posted last year. Much of the work you see here was done by
Sergio, if something isn't credited, chances are Sergio wrote it.
Unfortunately, real life appears to have interfered with Sergio's duties as
FAQ maintainer and I have attempted to fill his shoes. I have tried to
keep this document as faithful as possible to Sergio's original format and
intent. Wherever you are, Sergio, you're a saint.
If you want to make an edition to the FAQ, e-mail me and I'll be happy
to include it.

DISCLAIMER
[SL] The facts mentioned in this FAQ are unofficial. Do not bet your
house on whatever you find here. Hopefully, with time these facts will
all be verified and we might just be able to include a 100% truth
certificate. This information is provided 'as is' for public use and
enjoyment. Please address all corrections to the maintainer of the list and
not to Wire or the newsgroups, as the maintainer has no time to check
them all.
All answers appear credited, and attributed to their original poster when
it is possible. If an answer does not have a [XY] credit (see the credits at
the end), then I wrote the answer.
Common acronyms
FYI = For Your Information
IMHO = In My Humble/Honest Opinion
U2 = Irish Band formed by four marvelous musicians
AB,R&H,UF,JT = Abbreviations for the names of some albums
(work'em out!)
RTFF = Read The Friendly FAQ

On Wire, albums and songs are sometimes abbreviated. Some examples
are:
AB=Achtung Baby EBTTRT=Even Better Than The Real Thing

0.1 What has changed since last time?

[MJS] Not much. :} The whole FAQ is in the middle of another major
revision, this version corrects the address for WIRE and the U2 ftp
archives and a few fanzine addresses. The next version of the FAQ
should be ready around March 20. [I swear] New questions are
denoted by a % in the table of contents. Again, thanks to all who've
helped.
Special thanks to:
Barbra "Therapist" Benes shw...@prodigy.com
Patty "Party Girl" Culliton acm...@prodigy.com
Caroline "Don't call me a goddess" van Oosten de Boer
vo...@knoware.nl
Matt "Database" Mc Ple...@aol.com

0.2 Where can I find the latest version of this list?

This should be stored at the UKY ftp site mentioned below, at the
rtfm.mit.edu "official FAQ ftp site, and posted on alt.fan.U2,
alt.music.U2, alt.news.answers and news.answers newsgroups around
the 12th of each month. In addition, the FAQ may be retrieved via email
from rtfm.mit's e-mail server.

1. U2 and the Internet

This section deals with the Wire mailing list, various ways to obtain U2
info in USENET, IRC, commercial online services FTP and WWW sites.

1.1 What is the Wire mailing-list? How do I subscribe, etc?

[JA] Hello. I am Joel Abbott (abb...@inslab.uky.edu), and I maintain
u2-list (or Wire as the subscribers have nicknamed it). As of May 1,
1995, u2-list had 1350 subscribers. On 1/20/94, wire moved from
math.jmu.edu to inslab.uky.edu. I am the third administrator of the U2
mailing list. The founder was Rob Bakie
(sli...@milton.u.washington.edu), and the second was Thomas Jordan
(tjo...@math.jmu.edu). The list lives on!
There are no moderators on this list, so everything you send to:
u2-...@inslab.uky.edu
goes directly to everyone in the alias file. The administrative address for
u2-list is:
u2-list...@inslab.uky.edu Please use this address for
administrative messages (removal from list, change of address, etc.,), and
NOT the regular list, as the rest of the list recipients probably aren't
interested in your request to be removed/changed, etc! DO NOT SEND
THESE REQUESTS TO THE POSTINGS ADDRESS! This is one of
the worst things a person can do. Please don't do it.
The second worst thing you can do is to include the entire digest inside
of your mail message when you are posting. If you are going to include
something, only include what is relevant to your posting. Including the
whole digest not only increases the size of the next digest two-fold, but it
is very annoying. DO NOT DO THIS EITHER.
Wire stuff is being archived at:
ftp://ftp.inslab.uky.edu/pub/mailing.lists/u2-list/
Everything that Thomas Jordan put together, things that have been
contributed by members of wire, and the things I have found are all
located here. This includes samples, pictures, past postings, etc.
Anonymous ftp is the only way to get these items. Please do not ask me
to mail them. If you want to donate something to the archive, put it in
ftp://ftp.inslab.uky.edu/incoming/
but please send me mail and let me know that you have done so. Be sure
to include the name of the file/files you have uploaded. Doing this will
make sure I get to it before the directory gets cleaned out. I don't scan
/incoming regularly.
Please, keep in mind that this list is what you make of it. There is no
charge for this list, and it is worth that much. :) The content is entirely
based on you, the subscriber and poster.

1.2 Where can I find U2-related files via ftp? What files are available?

[MJS] There are several FTP sites with pictures, sound files, lyrics,
and tabs. A complete listing of all files at each site is in Appendix A.

ftp.inslab.uky.edu pub/u2
This is the proverbial big one. In the /text directory there are lyrics,
reviews, transcripts of Bono's Bob Marley speech, their Grammy
acceptance speeches, and archives of WIRE. In /pictures there are over
50 files in GIF, TIFF, JPEG, and RGB formats. The /sound directory
has samples in WAV and AU formats and a MOD version of WOWY.

cs.uwp.edu /pub/music/artists/u/u2
Mirror Sites:
www.wit.com /music/u/u2
This is the mother lode of music files, there are directories for any
band you can think of here. The main site is extremely overloaded, so
use one of the mirror sites for downloading. Only use the UWP site for
uploading. There is a rumor that UWP is considering shutting this site
down because of the volume of FTP so don't abuse it. [Rant over]
This site has the usual stuff pictures - GIF, TIFF, JPEG, and BMP
formats - and lyrics. There is one sound file, bonobye.wav, which
features Bono saying goodnight to a stadium of screaming fans. It makes
the perfect Windows signoff file.

chaos.pc.cc.cmu.edu /pub/u2
This is the ftp server for Michael Sherman's U2 WWW page. Pictures
in JPEG format, many from the PPV special.

ftp.luth.se
What cs.uwp.edu is to pictures, this site is to sound files. Every
major artist has a directory. The U2 directory has files in the AU format

1.3 Are there any U2-related newsgroups?

There are two: alt.fan.u2 [founded originally for discussion of the
ZooTV tour] and alt.music.u2

1.4 Are there any U2-related WWW sites?

[MJS] Tons. In the name of sanity, I've tried to group these pages into
categories. I've included a list of those sites which I know to be up and
running as of the date of this FAQ. IIf you have a U2 page and it isn't
listed here, e-mail me and I'll include it in the next version. (All of the
descriptions below were written by me unless otherwise noted, so the
sins of omission are mine.) For the most up-to-date information, consult
the Guide to U2 Related Information on the Internet, an excellent
resource posted monthly on the U2 newsgroups.

U2 PAGES
Andrew Lockhart's U2 Archive
http://lockhart.pdial.interpath.net/WWW/Pages/U2.htm
Author: Andrew Lockhart e-mail: THE...@lockhart.pdial.interpath.net

Backstage - Italian U2 Fan Club
http://www.tread.it/backstag/backstag.htm

Bennett's U2 Page
http://www.st.nepean.uws.edu.au/users/boprysa/u2.html
Author: Bennett Oprysa e-mail: bop...@st.nepean.uws.edu.au

Bryan's U2 Quiz
http://pubpages.unh.edu/~bryanb/
Author: Bryan Buchanan e-mail: bry...@christa.unh.edu

Chez Skippy's U2 Page
http://esquilino.enserb.u-bordeaux.fr:8001/~rousseau

Chris's U2 page - U2@ODDS
http://freenet3.scri.fsu.edu:81/users/schmittc/u...@odds.html
Author: Christoper Schmitt e-mail: sch...@freenet.scri.fsu.edu

Edge's U2 Page
http://www2.ecst.csuchico.edu/~edge/u2.html
Author: James E. Gass e-mail: ed...@ecst.csuchico.edu

Edmond's U2 Home Page
http://modem.circus.cse.unsw.edu.au/~s2154869/u2.html
Author: Edmond Gock e-mail: s215...@cse.unsw.edu.au

Guess the U2 Lyric of the Week
http://www.crl.com/~stheo
Author: Steve Theodorou e-mail: st...@crl.com

The International (Uncertified) Crazy U2 Fan Club
http://http3.brunel.ac.uk:10000/wit/Topic1037
Founder Noel Wynder e-mail: ae...@solopipex.com

Jayson Kastens' U2 Page
http://zooropa.yavapai.arizona.edu/~jkastens/u2.html
Author: Jayson Kastens email: jkas...@zooropa.yavapai.arizona.edu

JINX's U2 page....
http://www.il.ft.hse.nl/~jinx/u2/
e-mail: Ji...@IAEhv.nl

Joe Foley's U2 Pages
http://sfbox.vt.edu:10021/J/jfoley/u2/u2.html
Author: Joe Foley e-mail: jfo...@vt.edu

Mania Mansion - Home of U2 Collectormania Magazine
http://www.xs4all.nl/~pj/index.html
Author: Caroline van Oosten de Boer, associate editor; e-mail:
vo...@knoware.nl

Michael Sherman's U2 Page
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/andrew.cmu.edu/usr18/mset/www/U2.html
Author Michael Sherman e-mail: ms...@andrew.cmu.edu

Mikko Halme's U2 Page
http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/mhalme/testien.html
Author: Mikko Halme e-mail: Mikko...@mhalme.pp.fi

Mirrorbal's U2 Page
http://www.universal.nl/users/mirrorbal/u2.htm
Author: Hans Westerbeek e-mail: h...@universal.nl

Neil's U2 Juke Box
http://www.med.virginia.edu/~njz7p/
Author: Neil Jason Zemmel e-mail: nj...@galen.med.virginia.edu

NYnet's U2 Stuff
http://savvy.com/~nynet/u2ticket.html
e-mail: ny...@savvy.com

Pat's U2 samples
http://www.icon-stl.net/~pat/u2/
Author: Pat Niemeyer e-mail: p...@icon-stl.net

Paul's U2 Page
http://hcslx1.essex.ac.uk/~pdyson/u2.html
Author: Paul Dyson e-mail: pdy...@essex.ac.uk

Pete Juvinall's World of Fun: Recording Studio - U2
http://rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu/~psjuvina/
Author: Peter Juvinall e-mail: psju...@ilstu.edu

Principle Management
http://www.numb.ie/
e-mail: r...@numb.ie
It's the Official U2 Page! And it's nearly blank . . .

Synergis U2 Page
http://www.singnet.com.sg/~edmonds/u2.html
Author: Dale Emily Edmonds e-mail: edm...@singnet.com.sg

tHE u2 dIRECTORY by EdGE
http://argos.uniandes.edu.co/~l-arcini/u2.html
Author: Fabio -EdGE- Arciniegas l-ar...@argos.uniandes.edu.co

U2: the WORLD wide web PAGE [OBN'95]
http://www.magpage.com/~subfarm/u2/u2webpage.htm

U2 in Mexico
http://www.dcc.anahuac.mx/~alumnos/com42050/u2.html
Author: e-mail:
You won't beLIEve me, but this site has pictures of Bono and Larry
stripping in front of the pyramids of Mexico. See, I said you wouldn't
believe me.

U2 on WWW
http://www-users.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~kaldow/u2.html
Author Ralf Kaldowski e-mail: kal...@pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de

UV's #U2 Web Page!!!
http://www.mindspring.com/~ggough/u2irc.html
Author: Josh Gough e-mail:ggo...@mindspring.com

WendellGs U2 Page!!!
http://www.valleynet.com/~harton/index1.html

WIRE Home Page
http://www.inslab.uky.edu/
Author: Joel Abbott e-mail: abb...@inslab.uky.edu

The Zooropean - U2 Magazine
http://www.luna.nl/~u2zoorop/home.htm
alternate address: http://www.rotterdam.luna.net/~u2zoorop/
Author: Marco de Graaf e-mail: u2zo...@luna.nl

U2 LINKS PAGES

4 U, Links 2 U2
http://www.stud.mdh.se/~dat93gts/u2.htm
Author: Goran Thorselius e-mail: dat9...@idt.mdh.se

Angel of the Web
http://www.lehigh.edu/~swb2/u2.html
Author: Swarup Bandyopadhyay e-mail: sw...@Lehigh.EDU

...Down for a bottle of Corova?
http://www.uta.fi/~f1tato/u2.html

Dustin's U2 Links
http://198.64.53.1/~dustin/u2links.html
Author: Dustin Hall e-mail: dus...@blkbox.com
Links, some text files and a nifty picture.

Einet's U2 Index
http://galaxy.einet.net/editors/douglas-bell/rock/utoo.html

Hawkmoon's U2 Page
http://www.ccil.org/~conan/u2.html
Author: Joe Cohen e-mail: co...@lock.ccil.org

Index to a Bunch of U2 Sites
http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~kimberly/U2index.html

Jay's U2 Page
http://www.fy.net/~aj03/u2/u2.html
Alternate address: http://b61725.student.cwru.edu/u2/u2.htm
Author: Andrew Onifer e-mail: aj...@fyi.net

John Coetzee's U2 Page
http://zest.upe.ac.za/~csbjcc/page1.html

Josh Tuel's U2 Page
http://www.ksu.edu/~joshtu/u2.html

Juhapekka Tolvanen's U2 Links
http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~juhtolv/u2.html

Links to U2
http://www.cc.columbia.edu/~jes81/music/u2.html

Me, a fanatic? - U2 WWW Sites
http://www.sgi.net/marbles/zeno/u2.html
Author: Sara Zeno

Nikko's U2 Links Page
http://www2.e.kth.se/~e94_nha/Public/www/u2.html
Author: Henrik Lundin e-mail: hlu...@rbk.sollentuna.se

Phil's U2 page of cool stuff
http://justice.loyola.edu/~promans/u2/main.html

The Running U2 Archive
http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d4jonas/U2/u2.html

U2 Jump Page
http://wwwcsc.cornell-iowa.edu/~jcragun/u2jump.html
Author Josh Cragun e-mail: jcr...@csc.cornell-iowa.edu

U2 Links
http://acm.vt.edu/~rnbrown/files/u2.html
Author: RNBrown e-mail: th...@vt.edu

U2 Links Page
http://minyos.xx.rmit.edu.au/~t9453044/u2.html
Author: Luke Hanley e-mail: t945...@minyos.xx.rmit.edu.au

Web of Wonder
http://www.digimark.net/wow/entertai/music/groups/u2/index.html

Yahoo - Entertainment:Music:Artists:U2
http://www.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Music/Artists/U2/

U2 LYRICS AND TAB PAGES

Cian's U2 Lyrics (Ver 1.2.0)
http://www2.tcd.ie/~cokirsey/U2.lyrics.html
Author: Cian O'Kiersey e-mail: coki...@alf2.tcd.ie

The Finnish U2 Page
http://www.math.jyu.fi/~tuanta/u2.html
More U2 lyrics.

Grendel's Lyric Archive - U2 Lyrics
http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~avernon/lyrics/u2.html
Author: A. Vernon E-mail: ave...@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

Jonny Black's U2 Homepage - Lyrics
http://www.mcs.dundee.ac.uk:8080/~jblack/u2.html
Author: Jonny Black e-mail: jbl...@mcs.dundee.ac.uk

Sergio Lucero's U2 Tabs
http://www.dim.uchile.cl/~slucero/albums/Albums.html
Author Sergio Lucero e-mail: slu...@dim.uchile.cl
He founded the U2 FAQ, the least you can do is visit his tab page and
check out his bootleg list.

U2 Lyrics Page
http://metro.turnpike.net/~macintsh/U2/index.html
Author: John Siracusa e-mail: maci...@bu.edu

U2 Tab Page
http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~mooneykj/u2.html
Author: Kenneth Mooney e-mail: moon...@dcs.gla.ac.uk

U2 DISCOGRAPHIES

Roger's U2 Single Discography
http://www.ifi.uio.no/~roger/u2_disk.html
Author: Roger E-mail: ro...@ifi.uio.no

WWW Music Database - U2 Discography
http://www.cs.uit.no/Music/View/u2
Author: Espen Skoglund E-mail: esp...@stud.cs.uit.no

SOME U2 CONTENT

Batman Forever Homepage
http://batmanforever.com/

FUN Page - Sounds
http://www.fct.unl.pt/Fun/fun.html
Contains three U2 sound files, Gloria - live version, In the Name of the
Father, and I Will Follow.

History of Rock 'n' Roll
http://www.hollywood.com/rocknroll/index.html
Has an interview, picture and sound file of Bono from the recent tv
special.

Marvin Gaye Track Listing - Inner City Blues
http://www.polygram.com/polygram/inrb/various_gaye_mA.html
A sound file of Bono's contribution and an AVI interview.

OUT LOUD: U2
http://www.hidwater.com/OUTLOUD/u2.html
All about U2's contribution to the OUT LOUD album, including a sound
sample.

Steve Rapport's Virtual Portfolio
http://sashimi.wwa.com/hammers/pictures/bono.htm
Want a picture of Bono circa December 1983? Here it is.

Sumit's Web Page
http://access.net99.net/~sshah
Author: Sumit Shah e-mail: ss...@net99.net
Contains a few sound files, more sound files and pictures coming soon.

Tulane's U2 Sound Files
http://unicycle.cs.tulane.edu/audio/U2/

U2 Midi Files -The Owl
http://info.pitt.edu/~bdnst2/

MAINLY TEXT U2 SITES

Alarms' '83 Tour w/U2
http://www.demon.co.uk/alarmpo/alarm83.html

BDD: Previous Releases - U2 At the End of the World
http://www.bdd.com/newrl/bddnewrl.cgi?w=06-01-95&m=bddprevu&p
=bddnrp-u2ed&h=bddnrp-u2ed
Brother Jack: Bono on God
http://www.mofile.fi/biz/bj/bono_god.htm

Derick's Account of a U2 Concert
http://www.mi.net/trip/chap1-5.html

GREEN EGGS REPORT for news:alt.fan.u2
http://www.ar.com/ger/alt.fan.u2.html

Review of Achtung Baby by Negativland
http://astro.uchicago.edu/home/web/duvernoi/neg/neg12.html

Review of U2 at the End of the World
http://www.io.org/~buff/sinatra/u2-book.html

Sides Magazine: U2'S MYSTERIOUS WAYS
http://boris.qub.ac.uk/tony/Sides/u2.html
Author: Tony Bowden e-mail: t.bo...@qub.ac.uk

"The Fly" on the Stage
http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~rocklist/other/fly.on.stage

U2-RELATED SITES

Addicted to Noise - Music News of the World
http://www.addict.com/ATN/Music_News_Of_The_World/
Hey kids, do you like the Rock n' Roll news? I'm abusing my position as
FAQ maintainer here but I love this on-line zine, it's been consistently on
top of all the latest U2 news [the new single, soundtrack news, hints
about the new album], has easy to download pix, and a searchable
archive.

All Thing's Irish
http://www.flowerstop.com/mckinley/irish.html
Want to know where everything Irish is on the net? Start here.

Artyfact
http://www.xs4all.nl/~vonb/af/af_index.html
Author Caroline van Oosten de Boer e-mail: vo...@knoware.nl

Brian Eno
http://mosaic.echonyc.com/~mysticfire/MAImagEno.html

Clannad Home Page
http://140.148.1.16/clannad/clann.shtml

Gavin Friday's Wonderful Wicked World
http://www.xs4all.nl/~pj/gf-index.html
Author Caroline van Oosten de Boer e-mail: vo...@knoware.nl
All you need to know about "the cabaret singer from hell" and his latest
acts of mayhem.

HOT PRESS on the 'net
http://www.dublin.iol.ie/hotpress/
Latest issues and archives of Ireland's premier music magazine.
Subscription now required to access this page.

The Irish Times Corner
http://www.irish-times.ie/cgi-bin/IThome
Can't get enough Irish news? Maybe this will tide you over 'til the next
album.

Irish X-Press
http://www.adnet.ie/Adnet/xpress/XPress.htm
Bono and Adam recently gave an interview to the employees of this
Dublin newspaper have been locked out of their jobs. The interview
covers the two new albums and other subjects.

Live Aid - A Celebration
http://www.herald.co.uk/local_info/live_aid.html
Author: Melanie Dymond Harper

NegativeLand: U2 Fan Club
http://sunsite.unc.edu/id/negativland/u2.html

Negativland/U2
http://www.eskimo.com/~irving/negativland/u2/

Negativland - U2
http://www.yab.com/~stumbras/u2.html

The Photographic Works of Anton Corbijn
http://www.itis.com/~wonko/anton/

Polygram Records - Island Records U2 Catalog
http://www.polygram.com/polygram/cat/catU.html

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame + Museum
http://www.rockhall.com/

Rocktropolis
http://underground.net/Rocktropolis/map.html
More on-line Rock n' Roll fun.

RockWeb(TM) Interactive
http://www.rock.net/
Still more on-line Rock n' Roll fun. Do I sense a trend here?

SleepBot: Brian Eno
http://underground.internet.com/lookit/sleepbot/html/eno.html

The (unofficial) EnoWeb
http://www.nwu.edu:80/music/eno/

The Vibe: Cyber-Sleaze
http://metaverse.com/vibe/sleaze/index.html
I don't like Adam Curry's hair anymore than you do, but he does dish the
dirt.

Virtual Irish Pub - VIP Magazine
http://www.misty.com/ulysses/vip/music/music.htm

WIRED 3.01: "The Letter U and the Numeral 2" by Colin Berry
http://www.hotwired.com/wired/3.01/departments/electrosphere/negativl
and.html

Commercial Services
Note - inclusion of a service in the FAQ does not imply an endorsement.

CDnow!
http://cdnow.com
A wide selection of U2 CDs including imports, gold discs, videos,
t-shirts and singles.

Fandom Paradise Home Page
http://www.io.org/~peterw/Fandom.html
A Canadian store specializing in Rock n' Roll collectibles. They list
several U2 items, like keychains, postcards, trading cards, etc.

U2 Catalog
http://www.recunltd.com/shopping/cats/online/full/catutwo.html

Apparently Dead Sites
If the status of these sites changes, let me know. They were once
awesome . . . .
U2 Boots at Notre Dame
http://www.nd.edu/studentlinks/kbuttler/kevin2.html

1.5 What about commercial online services?

Still haven't had enough? Well, get those credit cards out and check out
these services:

America Online - United States
Plenty of U2 files are available from the Software Archive [keyword:
download] and the U2 faithful meet every Sunday nite at 9pm EST in
Deja Zoo [keyword: forum]. Yours truly has been know to frequent this
den of U2 frivolity (MaryannJS) so if you're online, drop by and say hi
to my pals BigAudioD, Pleeker and PolarisU2.

CompuServe - available worldwide
Michelle Perez (Melon) and Marcus Dunne (Mirrorball Man) recently
founded a U2 fanclub online [GO U2FANS] and plan to add an archive
of U2 material and special events. They're off to a great start - Bill
Flanagan, author of At the End of the World, will be online in August. In
addition, Island Records maintains an archive here with sound files and
pictures.

Delphi - United States and Canada
I haven't been online there in ages, but it's the only commercial service I
know of with IRC access. Anyone have anymore info?

Prodigy - United States and Canada
My online home. All U2 fans are welcome at the U2 bulletin board
[JUMP: Music 1, then topic Rock L-Z] where we discuss everything
from the latest news, the best imports and, of course, Adam's most
recent haircut.

1.6 Is there a U2 channel on IRC?

Yes. U2 fans can meet at #U2 For more info, check out UV's web page.

mjs...@ix.netcom.com

Oct 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/20/96

Archive-name: music/U2-faq/part1
Alt-fan-U2-archive-name: fan/U2-faq/part1

U2 FAQ version 1.1b
******************

#8. What if I played it backwards? [Hidden messages, etc]
% 8.1 Seconds
Also under construction

0. General information on this FAQ list

[MJS] The U2 FAQ was started by Sergio Lucero (slu...@cipres.cec.uchile.cl), his last edition of the FAQ (version 0.8) was posted in 1995. I have tried to keep this document as faithful as possible to Sergio's original format and intent. Wherever you are, Sergio, you're still a saint.
If you want to make an edition to the FAQ, e-mail me at jbr...@prodigy.com and I'll be happy to include it. Do NOT just hit the reply key if you are reading this in a newsgroup. Because of the sleazoid tactics of mass emailers, I have to post this FAQ from a separate address, if you send a reply to that address it will not be read.

[...]

[MJS] A little. :} The whole FAQ is in the middle of yet another major revision, this version corrects the address for WIRE and the U2 ftp archives and a few fanzine addresses. New questions are denoted by a % in the table of contents. Again, thanks to all who've helped.

Kim "Munchkim" Mancini djp...@prodigy.com
Matt "Database" McGee ple...@owt.com

[...]

This is the proverbial big one. The WIRE archives, text files, pictures, sound files, programs and videos.

cs.uwp.edu /pub/music/artists/u/u2
Mirror Sites:
www.wit.com /music/u/u2

This is the mother lode of music files, there are directories for any band you can think of here. This site has the usual stuff pictures - GIF, TIFF, JPEG, and BMP formats - and lyrics. There is one sound file, bonobye.wav, which features Bono saying goodnight to a stadium of screaming fans.

mjs...@ix.netcom.com

Oct 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/20/96

Archive-name: music/U2-faq/part2
Alt-fan-U2-archive-name: fan/U2-faq/part2

1.4 Are there any U2-related WWW sites?

[MJS] Tons. In the name of sanity, I've tried to group these pages into categories. I've included a list of those sites which I know to be up and running as of the date of this FAQ. Frankly, this section is thoroughly "out of control." If you have a U2 page and it isn't listed here, e-mail me and I'll include it in the next version.

U2 PAGES
Aaron's U2 Page
http://www.tuns.ca/~samsaj/u2/u2.html

The Achtung Baby's Homepage
http://www.student.toplinks.com/hp/mcphisto/

Acrobat's Homepage
http://elektron.et.tudelft.nl/~acrobat/

Ari's U2 Homepage
http://www.tokem.fi/~awesome/u2.html

Altculture - U2
http://www.altculture.com/site/entries-apilot/u2.html

Backstage - Italian U2 Fan Club
http://www.tread.it/backstag/backstag.htm

The Band
http://www.umcs.maine.edu/~jdrake/boys.html

Bob Reck's Zoo Station
http://www.erols.com/breck/zoostation.html

Bono is God
http://chairmanmao.lovett.rice.edu/~gfoxcook/zoo/u2page.html

Bono News from Japan
http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~t95554rt/bono.html

Chez Skippy's U2 Page
http://esquilino.enserb.u-bordeaux.fr:8001/~rousseau

Dan's Zoo Station
http://www.rnet.com/hp/cheese/u23.htm

David Erickson's U2 Rules Page
http://www.ualberta.ca/~erickson/u2/

Deroc's U2 Page - Mrs. Brown's Washings
http://falcon.jmu.edu/~fetschdw/u2/

Discovery Day's U2 Page
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/dday/u2/u2.html

Edmond's U2 Home Page
http://modem.circus.cse.unsw.edu.au/~s2154869/u2.html

Flare's U2 Collection
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Flare/U2.HTM

Fox' s U2 Page
http://web.inter.nl.net/users/Jansenius.S.G/leerlingen/fox/fox.htm
or
http://www.zeelandnet.nl/people/reynaert/leerlingen/fox/fox.htm

Fred's U2 page
http://hercule.univ-valenciennes.fr/~elsner/pagesu2/u2.html

Guess the U2 Lyric of the Week
http://www.crl.com/~stheo

GUSTAV'S HOMEPAGE
http://www.forsmark.uu.se/~eg95guho/index.html

Henry Wagner's U2 Page
http://www.panix.com/~henryw/new/u2/

Jesper's U2 Page
http://www.student.his.se/~jesper/u2.htm

Joe Foley's U2 Pages
http://sfbox.vt.edu:10021/J/jfoley/u2/u2.html

Joe's U2 pages
http://sfbox.vt.edu:10021/J/jfoley/u2/u2.html

John Hlavaty's U2 Page
http://www.nd.edu/~jhlavaty/u21.html

John Telleria's U2 Web Page
http://tribeca.ios.com/~johnphx/U2pages/u2index.html

Kathy's U2 Site
http://eag-net.com/kathy/u2/

Kevin's U2 Page
http://musicb.marist.edu/~stkb/@httpd/music/u2/u2.html

Lank's U2 Page
http://www.monash.edu.au/ccstaff5/com/lanks/WWW/U2/U2.html

LANMANia! U2 Page
http://www.golden.net/~cardow/u2.html

Mania Mansion - Home of U2 Collectormania Magazine
http://www.xs4all.nl/~pj/index.html

Marcus's U2 Page
http://ourworld.compuserve.com:80/homepages/MDunne/

Matt McGee's Mostly U2 Music Page
http://www.owt.com/users/pleeker/U2.html

Melon's U2 Utopia
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/melon/u2.htm

Mikko Halme's U2 Page
http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/mhalme/testien.html

Mirrorbal's U2 Page
http://www.universal.nl/users/mirrorbal/u2.htm

Miss Sassy's Lounge
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ethorpe/misssass.htm

Morgan Lambert's Achtung!!!
http://frugal.com/~smorg/u2/

MORT'S COOL U2 HOMEPAGE
http://www.rpi.edu/~mortik/u2/u2.html

Notre Dame U2 Page
http://www.nd.edu/~dfreddos/u2.html

Official U2 Fanclub in Finland
http://www.utu.fi/~aspeha/u2f.html

Pat's U2 samples
http://www.icon-stl.net/~pat/u2/

Paul's U2 Page
http://hcslx1.essex.ac.uk/~pdyson/u2.html

Pete Juvinall's World of Fun: Recording Studio - U2
http://rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu/~psjuvina/

Peter "Crayon" Hanning's U2 Studio Cam Page
http://www2.e.kth.se/~hanning/www/

Principle Management
http://www.numb.ie/

Ringo's Mostly U2
http://dinf.vub.ac.be/~rdesmet/muziek.html

Rory's U2 Page
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rorymacu2/

Slipstream by Nicole Haddock
http://pages.prodigy.com/NM_Haddy/slipstrm.htm

Spirogram: Mat's U2 Home Page
http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~wood/u2.html

Swedish U2 Page
http://www.efd.lth.se/~d95mf/u2page.html

Teddie's U2 Page
http://www.algonet.se/~teddie/u2.htm

the_edge 's Home Page
http://www.geopages.com/hollywood/2201/

U2 Archives Official Homepage
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/9872/

U2 Fun Page
http://ub4.apa.berkeley.edu/homies/sumo/U2/index.html

U2
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/3474/u2.html

U2 Image Archive
http://canterbury.res.wpi.edu/U2_images.html

U2 Junkie
http://www.GateWest.net/~lemke/

U2 NEWS - Island Records
http://www.island.co.uk/u2news.html

U2 Page by Edgey
http://metro.turnpike.net/E/edgey/u2/u2.html

U2 Press Articles
http://boris.qub.ac.uk/tony/u2/

U2 Rare Videos Collection
http://www.goodnet.com/~sshah/videos.html

U2 Shrine
http://members.aol.com/rhardca912/u2page.htm

U2: the WORLD wide web PAGE [OBN'95]
http://www.magpage.com/~subfarm/u2/u2webpage.htm

U2 in Mexico
http://www.dcc.anahuac.mx/~alumnos/com42050/u2.html

U2 on WWW
http://www-users.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~kaldow/u2.html

U2 ZOOROPA
http://sui.gda.itesm.mx/miembros/lmichel/homep2.htm

Vicki's U2 Page
http://www.vsl.ist.ucf.edu/~zigmont/pages/u2.html

Welcome to ZooTV
http://www.goldengate.net/~voodoo/zootv.html

Why U2 Sucks
http://www.mcs.net/~court/u2sucks.html
[Am I the only one who'd dearly love to get the author of this page together w/the author of the "Bono is God" page?]

Zoo Page
http://www.ovnet.com/userpages/mrblond/Kevin/u2home.html

The Zoo Station
http://www.srv.ualberta.ca/~jskuba/zsmain.html

ZOO station - From Finland
http://www.mikrobitti.fi/~piirat/u2/zoo.htm

ZOOTV
http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mahieu/zootv.htm

The ZooNet
http://www.e-universe.com/sara/U2page1.htm

U2 LINKS PAGES

Angel of the Web
http://www.lehigh.edu/~swb2/u2.html

Carton's U2 Links & Pix
http://mxn117.rh.psu.edu/~carton/

...Down for a bottle of Corova?
http://www.uta.fi/~f1tato/u2.html

Dustin's U2 Links
http://www.erols.com/breck/u2/u2links.html

El Jaguar Quetzal U2 pages
http://www.rice.edu/~solis/U2/

Greg's U2 Page!! - Mostly Links
http://www.pitt.edu/~gewst7/u2.html

Inge's U2 linker
http://colargol.idb.hist.no/~ingeeh/u2.html

Index to a Bunch of U2 Sites
http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~kimberly/U2index.html

Japanese U2 Links Page
http://kermit.ccm.eng.osaka-u.ac.jp/~yasuo/music/U2.html

Jay's U2 Page
http://www.fyi.net/~aj03/u2/u2.html
or
http://b61725.student.cwru.edu/u2/u2.htm

Joe Cohen's U2 like stuff
http://www.ccil.org/~conan/new/u2.html

Juhapekka Tolvanen's U2 Links
http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~juhtolv/u2.html

Kevin Forsythe's Home page [CSI Inc.(r) ]
http://www.seanet.com/users/kevinf/u2.html

KOO STATION
http://er4www.eng.ohio-state.edu/~kook/u2.html

Luke Hanley's U2 Page
http://minyos.xx.rmit.edu.au/~t9453044/u2.html

Me, a fanatic? - U2 WWW Sites
http://www.sgi.net/marbles/zeno/u2.html

Nerd World : U2
http://www.tiac.net/users/dstein/nw1162.html

Niko's U2 Links Page
http://www.lut.fi/~vironen/u2.html

Planet Fubar - U2 Links
http://www.gil.com.au/~allan/music.html

Riconet U2 Links
http://www.mcs.net/~rico/www/u2/u2.html

Stuff O' Boug: U2
http://www.telepath.com/dcoulter/boug/u2.html

U2 Links
http://acm.vt.edu/~rnbrown/files/u2.html

U2 Links
http://weber.u.washington.edu/~kaichuan/u2.html

U2 LINKS
http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mahieu/links.htm

U2 links from dk
http://meyer.fys.ku.dk/~thomas/music.html

U2 Link Page in Chile?
http://www.puc.cl/~cgonzalm/u2.html

WS Cook's U2 Links
http://www.chattanooga.net/~cmptype/u2.html

Yahoo - Entertainment:Music:Artists:U2

http://www.yahoo.com/Regional/Countries/Ireland/Entertainment/Music/Artists/U2/

Zazou's U2 Links
http://www.butler.edu/~partenheimer/u2.html

U2 LYRICS AND TAB PAGES

A to Z List of U2 Songs
http://www.math.fsu.edu/~cschmitt/atoz.html

Cian's U2 Lyrics (Ver 1.2.0)
http://www2.tcd.ie/~cokirsey/U2.lyrics.html

Complete Joshua Tree Homepage
http://rampages.onramp.net/~wrtiede/joshuatree.html

Grendel's Lyric Archive - U2 Lyrics
http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~avernon/lyrics/u2.html

Jonny Black's U2 Homepage - Lyrics
http://www.mcs.dundee.ac.uk:8080/~jblack/u2.html

Meaning of the Lyrics
http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d4jonas/U2/u2.meaning.of.lyrics.html

U2 Guitar Archive
http://www.imt.net/~noneal/u2guitar.html

U2 Lyrics Page
http://asterix.info.unicaen.fr/~flechair/u2/lyrics.html

[...]

Plenty of U2 files are available from the Software Archive [keyword: download] and the U2 faithful meet every Wednesday nite at 9pm EST.

CompuServe - available worldwide
Michelle Perez (Melon) is the high priestess of the U2 section online [GO U2FANS] which includes an archive of U2 material and special events. Some recent conference guests were - Bill Flanagan, author of At the End of the World, and Dave Fanning. In addition, Island Records maintains an archive here with sound files and pictures.

Delphi - United States and Canada

I haven't been online there in ages. Anyone have anymore info?

Prodigy - United States and Canada

My online home. All U2 fans are welcome at the U2 bulletin board [JUMP: Music 1, then topic Rock L-Z] where we discuss everything from the latest news, the best imports and, of course, Adam's most recent haircut. A weekly chatfest is held in Chat Music Member Room ZooStation Saturdays at Midnight.

1.6 Is there a U2 channel on IRC?

Yes. U2 fans can meet at #U2 For more info, check out UV's web page.

mjs...@ix.netcom.com

Oct 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/20/96

Archive-name: music/U2-faq/part5
Alt-fan-U2-archive-name: fan/U2-faq/part5

5. Books, videos, bootlegs

5.1 What books are there on U2?

[AC] STORIES FOR BOYS: 1985, since revised to include The Joshua Tree. An interesting biography. A bit brief at times. Published by Proteus Books, written by Dave Thomas. Colour. Includes a discography and a list of common bootlegs available at the time (now very outdated).

THE U2 FILE: 1985. Assorted articles/interviews from the Irish music magazine Hot Press. Very good. Published by Hot Press, written by various. Colour. Includes a discography.
[P] This book was also published in the U.S. by Harmony Books, also in 1985, and under the title "U2: In the Name of Love." It's the same book, though. Inside, it says: "Published in Ireland as 'The U2 File.'

ANOTHER TIME, ANOTHER PLACE: 1989. Covers U2's early days, during 1977/78/79. By Bill Graham, the man at Hot Press who supported U2 from the very beginning. He is an 'insider' when it comes to U2. There's some very strange photos in this book! Published by Mandarin Paperbacks. Get it for a laugh - I swear you won't recognize U2 in some of the photos. Black and white.

UNFORGETTABLE FIRE - The Story of U2: 1989. The official biography of U2. Very detailed, especially when dealing with pre-1984 U2, which is good because it's hard to find info about this period. Some of the stuff in this has been questioned by the band as to it's authenticity, but overall, a must for anybody who's really interested in U2 as people. Published by Viking
Press, written by Eamon Dunphy. Black and white.

TOUCH THE FLAME: 1987. A well put together biography. Has a 'time line' type thing which lists important U2 events, month by month, year by year. Includes a discography along with small colour pictures of many album and 7" and 12" single sleeves. Written by Geoff Parkyn. Colour. (Not sure of publisher).

THREE CHORDS AND THE TRUTH: 1989. Picks up from where The U2 File stops. More interviews and articles from Hot Press. By Niall Stokes (another insider' and U2 friend from Hot Press). Published by Omnibus Press. Colour.

[NE] OUT OF CONTROL: A Guide To U2 Bootlegs: published by Rock Bottom Press, March 1993.

[MJS] (this section is under construction)
OUTSIDE IS AMERICA: U2 in the U.S.: 1992. Just what it says, the story of U2 in America, from their first tour in 1980 to Zoo TV Inside Broadcast. Written by Carter Alan, musical director of WBCN-FM in Boston, a longtime U2 booster. Carter clearly loves the band, unfortunately whoever edited this book didn't bother with fact checking so there are a few blatant errors. Worth reading. $13.95 US. Published by Faber and Faber.

BURNING DESIRE Written by Sam Goodman. Pictures and plenty of them, mostly in color. Publishied by Castle Communications.

U2: THE ROLLING STONE FILES Written by the Editors of Rolling Stone Magazine. Want to read every single mention of U2 in RS but don't have time to spool through endless reels of microfilm? Then this is the book for you. Interviews, reviews, and newsblurbs. No pictures.

FARAWAY SO CLOSE Written by BP Fallon. Essentially this is a photographic record of the ZooTV tour. Fallon writes in a hipster-style that occasionally verges on self-parody but he obviously had significant access to the band. Worth the money. $15.95 US. Published by Little, Brown

U2 LIVE: A CONCERT DOCUMENTARY: Written by: Pimm Jal de la Jarra of Collectormania. Covers literally every U2 concert. Describes the shows, lists the songs played and includes quotes from onstage. The photos are fantastic. $27.95 US. Published by Omnibus Press, ISBN 0-7119-3666-8 Available via mailorder as well as in stores.

RACE OF ANGELS: Ireland and the Genesis of U2.

U2 AT THE END OF THE WORLD: Written by Bill Flanagan Covers the ZooTV tour from the recording sessions in Berlin to the final show in Japan. Published by Delacorte.

5.2 What videos are there?

[AC] RED ROCKS - UNDER A BLOOD RED SKY: 1984. Recorded live at Redrocks, Denver Colorada in May 1983. A simply awesome show. Get this one first. Songs: Surrender / Seconds / Sunday Bloody Sunday / October / New Years Day / I Threw a Brick / A Day Without Me / Gloria / Party Girl / 11 0'Clock Tick Tock / I Will Follow / 40.

THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE COLLECTION: 1985. Songs and a documentary about the making of The Unforgettable Fire. You get to see U2 in the studio, recording and experimenting. Also has some interviews with the band members and Brian Eno and Daniel Lanios. Songs (not in order): Pride (2 versions) / A Sort of Homecoming (live) / The Unforgettable Fire / Bad (live, unavailable anywhere else - different to the version on Wide Awake and America).

RATTLE AND HUM: 1989. The movie. Musically, this _IS_ U2. The in-concert footage is spectular - visually and musically. Also has interview and documentary footage from The Joshua Tree tour. Songs: Helter Skelter / Van Dieman's Land / Desire / Exit / I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Silver and Gold / Angel of Harlem / All Along the Watchtower / In God's Country / When Love Comes to Town / Bad / Where the Streets Have No Name / MLK / With or Without You / Bullet the Blue Sky / Running T
o Stand Still / Sunday Bloody Sunday / Pride / All I Want is You. [If you're not sure what Sunday Bloody Sunday is about, then get this. Don't be suprised if you cry when you watch this song on here for the first time.]

[GM] NUMB: 1993. The video single. Includes Numb, Numb (Video Remix) by EBN,Love Is Blindness. Australia/New Zealand copies came with a clip promoting the Zoomerang tour.

[MJS] ACHTUNG BABY The Videos, the Cameos, and a whole lot of Interference. Most of this footage was seen in the MTV Rockumentary but there are a few "unavailable anywhere else" must haves. Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam are all interviewed about the making of AB and the new direction of U2. Highlights include Bono's confession that he has a weakness for belly dancers, Edge's bird-watching canoe trip, Larry's assertion that "the lyrics aren't worth a shit. I think it's all about drums." and Adams admi
ssion that "I can't remember back that far." Videos included: Even Better Than the Real Thing / Mysterious Ways / One (#1) / The Fly / Even Better Than the Real Thing (Dance Mix) / One (#2) / Even Better Than the Real Thing (Gallo - Kampah version) / Until the End of the World [Interference directed by Maurice Linnane]

[MJS] U2 ZOOTV LIVE FROM SYDNEY: 1994. The authorized recording of the November 27, 1993 PPV special from Sydney, Australia. Songs: Zoo Station / The Fly / Even Better Than the Real Thing / Mysterious Ways / One / Unchained Melody / Until the End of the World / New Year's Day / Numb / Angel of Harlem / Stay / Satellite of Love / Dirty Day / Bullet the Blue Sky / Running to Stand Still / Pride / Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car / Lemon / Live is Blindness / Can't Help Falling in Love

5.2.2 Single-song videos

I Will Follow - recorded live on the BOY tour in the US in late 1980, early 1981

Gloria - October 1981, Meiert Avis, Dublin

A Celebration - April 1982, Meiert Avis, Kilmainham Jail, Dublin

New Year's Day - December 1982, Meiert Avis, Sweden

Two Hearts Beat as One - March 1983, Meiert Avis, Montmartre, Paris

Sunday Bloody Sunday - June 1983, Gavin Taylor, Red Rocks, Denver, Colorado

Pride (#1) - August 1984, Donald Cammell, St. Francis Xavier Hall, Dublin

Pride (#2) - July 1984, Barry Devlin, Slane Castle, Dublin

Pride (#3) - August 1984, Anton Corbijn, London

A Sort of Homecoming - October/November 1984, Barry Devlin, Paris, Brussels, Rotterdam,
London, Glasgow

Bad - October/November 1984, Barry Devlin, Paris, Brussels, Rotterdam, London, Glasgow

The Unforgettable Fire - January 1985, Meiert Avis, Sweden

With or Without You - February 1987, Meiert Avis, Dublin

Red Hill Mining Town - February 1987, Neil Jordan, London

Where the Streets Have No Name - March 1987, Meiert Avis, Los Angeles, California

In God's Country - April 1987, Barry Devlin, Arizona

Spanish Eyes - April 1987, Barry Devlin, Arizona

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - April 1987, Barry Devlin, Las Vegas, Nevada

Desire - September 1988, Richard Lowenstein, Los Angeles, California

Angel of Harlem - November 1988, Richard Lowenstein, New York City

When Love Comes to Town - March 1989, Philip Joanou, Various

All I Want Is You - April 1989, Meiert Avis, Rome

Night and Day - November 1990, Wim Wenders, Berlin

The Fly - September 1991, Ritchie Smith and Jon Klein, Dublin

Mysterious Ways - October 1991, Stephanie Sednaoui, Morocco

One (#1) - February 1992, Anton Corbijn, Berlin

One (#2) - February 1992, Mark Pellington, New York City

One (#3) - March 1992, Philip Joanou, New York City

Even Better Than the Real Thing - February 1992, Kevin Godley, London

Wild Horses - September 1992, Philip Joanou, Chicago, Illinois

Numb - July 1993, Kevin Godley, Berlin

Lemon - September 1993, Mark Neale, London

Stay - October 1993, Wim Wenders, Berlin

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me - June 1995, Dublin

5.3 What's a bootleg?

[SL] A bootleg recording is, in the case of U2, a recording that has not been officialy released by Island Records. IF you do decide to buy bootlegs, you must consider that the artists usually get no royalties for the sales.

[MJS] In some countries, "live recordings" of concerts are legally available for sale. These recordings are commonly referred to on the newsgroups as "live imports."
Anyone interested in U2 bootlegs/imports should check out J. Gareth Williams' "U2: Out of Control", [aka, OOC] an indispensible guide to U2 bootlegs/ imports. The sound quality and price of this material can vary dramatically, so consider getting a firsthand review of a bootleg/ import before you buy it. OOC is posted monthly on the usenet and is available at several Web sites and at ftp.inslab.uky.edu

5.3.1 Where can I buy bootlegs?

[SL] If you're lucky, your local record store will sometimes carry bootlegs. Also, sometimes there are record shows where people come in with their old/new records to sell/swap. There are some good opportunities to find bootlegs. Finally, there are some companies manufacturing bootlegs that can be reached by mail/phone. I don't have any adresses though.
Unfortunately, most of these alternatives are real only for people in Europe and the US. But Internet provides with an excellent channel of communication between people around the world. I live in Chile, and have managed to get in touch with some Wire members who are actually willing to offer copies of their bootlegs. Some will charge a fee, some won't. I could give some names, but I prefer to let you find out. Just go ahead and post a message to Wire asking for bootleg recordings. Good Luck!

6. Fanclubs, Fanzines, and Propaganda

6.1 Addresses of U2 fanclubs

[SL] DESIRE FOR U2
13 rue Pasteur 62710 COURRIERES FRANCE
Available : fanzine, boots, stuff, ...

[CS] Borderlands
1544 Westminster Ave. Port Coquitlam, B.C. Canada V3B 1E2
Coco_...@mindlink.bc.ca
Also operates a fanzine.

6.2 What are fanzines? What fanzines are available?

[SL]Fanzines are FAN magaZINES. Some are excellent, some are awful. If you really want to know how good a special one is, ask Wire.
[MJS] A portion of this information was taken out of the Book, "Outside is America - U.2. in the U.S." by Carter Alan.

ACROBAT c/o Kris Martens
2326 Idlewild Ct. Green Bay, WI 54303
e-mail: DDJ...@prodigy.com

A.D.A.M. c/o Jones/Kellie
7426 West Blvd #3 Boardman, OH 44512

ANOTHER DAY (The Peace Museum) S. Kathleen Maki: Organizer
P.O. Box 92444 Milwaukee, WI 53202

BORDERLANDS
1544 Westminster Ave. Port Coquitlam, B.C. Canada V3B 1E2
e-mail: Coco_...@mindlink.bc.ca

DREAM OUT LOUD c/o Jenny Lieb
10744 John Turley Place/ Fairfax, VA. 22032

DREAM OUT LOUD c/o Donna Souza
PO Box 316 Swansea, MA 02777

FEEDBACK/U.S.A. Attn: Lori Caldwell
P.O. Box 1586 Warren, OH 44482-1586

HEAVEN & HELL c/o jenny williams
3565 Raymar Blvd Cincinnati, OHIO 45208-1501
e-mail: JDWI...@cc.owu.edu

THE HYPE
e-mail: s020...@cc.ysu.edu

IN GOD'S COUNTRY c/o Margaret Farren
4620 College Ave #1 College Park, MD 20740 USA
e-mail: dolph...@aol.com

INDIAN SUMMER SKY Attn: Tochen
P.O. Box 58263 Philadelphia, PA 19102-8263

MADNESS CENTRAL
Sandra Fuller <73043...@compuserve.com>

OUT (Formerly OUT OF CONTROL) Maureen Wrinn
13 Sewall Street #5 Marblehead, MA 01945

A REVELATION c/o:Michelle Panik
6965 E Via El Estribo Anaheim Hills, CA. 92807-5120
e-mail: TDB...@prodigy.com

ROCK N' ROLL DOGGIE c/o Erin Sepe
83 Toddy Hill Rd. Sandy Hook, CT 06482
@prodigy.com
-----and------
c/o Chrissy Barnum
38 Grand Place, Newtown, CT 06470

SING A NEW SONG c/o Ellen Fauver
8795 Orange Street Alta Loma, CA 91704
------and-------
c/o Lori Hill
506 East Cherry Enid, OK 73701

SING NO MORE c/o Mary Kadar
P.O. Box 536 Franklin, MA 02038

THE STREET MELODY
Rt. 7, Box 514R 281 S. Atlanta Drive Tucson, AZ 85747

SWAGGER, NO STYLE c/o Kim Mancini
P.O. Box 1059 Birmingham, MI 48012
e-mail: DJP...@prodigy.com

TOUCH c/o Patricia Culliton
520 North Octavia Chicago, IL 60656
Fax: 312/763-0769 e-mail: ACM...@prodigy.com

TWIST OF FATE
889 Squire Lake Ct. Villa Hills, Ky 41017

U2 AND THEN SOME Amy Johnson
14154 Hubbell Livonia, MI 48154

WIRE
6562 Route 31 Cicero, NY 13039

U2 COLLECTORMANIA c/o P.J. Publishing
An International Magazine for U2 fans and collectors
USA & Canada: PO Box 75329 Albuquerque, New Mexico 87194 USA
Holland: PO Box 9652 1006 GD Amsterdam, Holland
Germany: Postfach 201308, 2000 Hamburg 20
Ireland: P.O. Box 3191, Dublin 9
Australia: 6-10 Pilgrim Court, Ringwood, Victoria 3134

The ZOOROPEAN
P.O. Box 3486 3003 AL Rotterdam, the Netherlands
E-mail u2zo...@luna.nl
Tel/Fax #31 (0)10 - 4221161 or #31 (0)10 - 2731819

6.3 What is Propaganda and the U2 World Service?

Propaganda is the official magazine of U2. A year's subscription currently costs $18 US.

(US/Canada)
Propaganda
119 Rockland Center Box 350
Nanuet, New York 10954 USA .
(Rest of the World)
Propaganda
PO Box 18
Wellingborough Northamptonshire NN8 1HE U.K

E-mail: Propa...@u2.easynet.co.uk

7. Gossip

[SL] Most of the gossip that's been spread about U2 is execrable, but it is also true that the boys (especially Mr.Clayton) have a tendency to live their lives without caring about the publicity consequences. I fully agree with that! After all, they're already giving us wonderful music, so I don't feel we have the right to impose them our moral values, or any specific behaviour.

7.1 Marital Status of all band members

[GM] Bono-married, Edge-divorced, Adam-engaged, Larry-single(girlfriend?)

[PC] Bono married Alison Stewart on Aug. 21 1982. Edge married Aislinn O'Sullivan in July 1983, they are separated but not divorced. Edge was linked to Morleigh Steinberg - the bellydancer - during the ZooTV tour. Adam is still single, he was engaged to "super-model" Naomi Campbell for several months in 1993. Larry is single but has a long-term significant other, Anne Acheson, with whom he has lived for 10+ years.

7.1.1 Any children?

[PC] Bono and Ali have two daughters, Memphis Eve and Jordan. Edge and Aislinn have three daughters, Holly, Arun, and Blue Angel.
[MJS] Larry and Ann are the proud parents of a new baby boy named Aaron Elvis.

7.1.2 Any pets?

[MV] What are the names of Bono's dogs? Also, do any of the other members have pets? Just wondering.

[PC] Bono has two German Shepards, their names are Fanny and Angel.

[CB] Edge had a dog called Fleetwood, but it ran away. He actually showed a picture of the dog on tv during an interview, to try and get the dog back. Larry has a dog called J.J., he also has a pet called Missy, but I don't know if it's a cat or a dog.

7.2 How tall is Bono anyway?

[MJS] Their official heights are: Bono is 5'8" Edge is 5'10" Adam is 5'10" Larry is 5'7" Of course, only their doctors know for certain . . . .

7.3 I heard that Bono is God. Is that true?

[MJS] IMHO, Bono has all the talents of a deity but few of the responsibilities. (BTW, this is a joke).

7.3.1. I heard that Bono will be playing God in a movie.

[MJS] There have been several rumors since the ZooTV tours about Bono starting an acting career. James Sheridan said in a Dec. 1992 interview with Movieline magazine that Bono was taking a year off from music to study acting and that Sheridan would love to put Bono in one of his movies. Since then stories about Bono getting roles in movies have abounded. Here are some of the more common.

Bono will be in Rob Roy
The story I've heard, from reliable sources, is that Bono was offered the role of the villian, Archibald Cunningham, in the movie. Bono turned the role down because "I can't act."

Bono will play MacPhisto in Batman Forever
The producers of Batman Forever very much wanted Bono to make a cameo appearance as MacPhisto, supposedly singing his heart out atop a piano. Bono again refused, saying that when the ZooTV tour was over, so was MacPhisto. U2 contributed a new song to the soundtrack, Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me.

Bono will play a sleazy music promoter in Strange Days.
No. I don't know whether he was offered the part or not, but he was not in the movie.

Bono will play a sleazy music promoter in Johnny Mneumonic
No. I don't even know if there is a role for a sleazy music promoter in Johnny Mneumonic. Once again, U2 contributed "Alex Descends Into Hell for a Bottle of Milk." to the soundtrack.

Bono will be in Martin Scorsese's Casino.
No. Again, I haven't even heard what part he was supposed to play or whether he was really offered it.

The Million Dollar Hotel, Bono's long awaited screenplay.
[MPZ] A couple of reputable sources, namely Army Archerd in Variety and the TV show "Extra" have also reported that Bono will act in the movie (although I'll believe it when I see it).

[P] Originally, there was NO plan for Bono to act in this movie. That plan has sinced reversed itself, and reversed back to original on at least one occasion. The latest I've heard is that there is a POSSIBILITY that Bono may do a "walk-on" part in the movie, one that would require very little acting.

Bono will be in "The Limo Driver."
[MJS] I just heard this rumor, supposedly this is a film starring or directed by Warren Beatty that will be filmed in Ireland next year. The plot follows a taxi driver who becomes obsessed with an actress. I guess we can rule out at least one role for Bono.

7.4 Injured in the cause.

[MJS] Think touring is easy? HA!

7.4.1 How did Bono get that scar on his chin?

[MJS] During the rehearsals for the JT tour, Bono fell while carrying a light up some stairs on stage. I believe this was in Arizona, but I'm not positive so I'll look it up. I have heard Bono say in an interview that the scar got him a lot of sympathy during the tour.

7.4.2 How did Bono break his arm?

[MJS] He didn't. He popped part of his collarbone out of it's socket at RFK stadium in Washington, DC when he fell on a wet stage. Unfortunately, this was not properly diagnosed until a week later in Boston. He had to wear a brace and sling for the remainder of the US tour and could not play guitar. He later said at a press conference that "the others find it a real pleasure" that he couldn't play in concert.

[MPZ] In reference to Bono's shoulder dislocation in 1987, I was at their 9/29/87 concert at Madison Square Garden in NYC and Bono most definitely played guitar for a couple of songs in the latter part of the concert. He made a show of ripping off the sling and said something to the effect of how he wasn't supposed to be playing, but that he was going to do it anyway. He did look like he was in pain a little while he was playing though. This concert was about ten days after he suffered his injury.

7.5 Is Edge on the Internet? aka, Does Edge read this newsgroup?

[MJS] Who knows? There have been numerous stories about Edge's fascination with the Internet , countless rumors on the newsgroups that Edge is monitoring every thread, and of course, several miscreants claiming to be Mr. Evans himself with helpful IDs such as "EDGE" and "THE EDGE.". Personally, I give these people as much credence as the ones with IDs like "GOD" and "Jesus" - surely both the Almighty and the lead guitarist from U2 have better things to do than waste bandwidth. If Edge is on the Internet, h
e's keeping a low profile and is entitled to his privacy.

7.9 Bottom Feeders?

[MJS] I certainly agree with Sergio and hate to give any credence to most of the slop that passes for "news" about U2. However, since I recently read on the newsgroups a very interesting, and utterly untrue, story about Adam being arrested for heroin possession I have come to the conclusion that providing truthful answers to these questions is the best way to end these ridiculous rumors. I've tried to present all reasonable viewpoints here, if you don't agree with what someone has written, be thankful fo
r freedom of speech and e-mail me your "version" and I'll include it.

7.9.1 Until Further Notice, All of the Following is FALSE

Nearly all of the following rumors have been posted on the Usenet within the past 12 months. To save time, bandwidth and, hopefully, kill rumors, what follows is a list of rumors which are ALL FALSE.
- Bono is getting a divorce.
- Bono once had a cocaine habit the size of Alaska. [Ditto for Adam, Edge, and Larry.]
- Bono had an affair with Christy Turlington (a model) / Stevie Nicks / Winona Ryder / Maire ni Brennan (from Clannad) / Kristen McMenamen (another model) / etc
- Adam and Naomi are getting married.
- Edge is dating Julia Roberts
- Edge has quit the band to start his own Christian music label.
- Larry and Anne have broken up.
- Anne is rarely seen in public because she is actually a space alien who can only replicate human behavior for limited periods of time.
- Larry IS Anne.
- On the band's first US tour, they brought a hundred pounds of wacky weed with them on the plane.
- Naomi Campbell is actually a quiet, sweet, patient and tolerant woman who donates all of her free time to helping the less fortunate.

Once more, the above rumors are ALL FALSE. Not one word of truth has ever been linked to any of these bone-headisms. Let's make them, "rarely asked questions."

7.9.2 However, oddly enough . . . .

This section is devoted to weird rumors from the usenet and other sources that turn out to have a grain of truth to them.
Q: Is it true that Bono likes to have his chest shaved?
[MJS] Well, Bono has had his chest shaved once that I know of:

[KM] Bono has an irregular heartbeat. He had to have an exam for his insurance company. He had too much chest hair for the doctor to be able to hear his heartbeat so they shaved part of it off. I looked up irregular heartbeat - it is caused by stress, anger, smoking, too much caffeine in coffee or tea. It is not fatal and it's ok to have one.

[MJS] Whether or not Bono enjoyed having his chest saved is unknown at this time.

Q: I heard that Bono stripped in the middle of a crowded restaurant.
[MJS] This is true. From Newsday March 27, 1992: At a dinner earlier this week at London's celebrity haunt, Nikita, Bono surprised his 18 dinner guests by removing all his clothes - including his black bikini briefs - for no apparent reason. During the Russian meal of mainly vodka and caviar, we're told the Irish rocker sat naked and acted as if being nude in a plush, crowded restaurant was the most natural thing in the world. Which, in some quarters, we suppose it is. "Sometimes people drink vodka and
do strange things," Nikita owner Sylvain Borsi told us. But didn't he find Bono's behavior a bit eccentric, to say the least? "No, he was very nice and very civilized," Borsi said. "I think he just felt more comfortable with nothing on."
But he had a really good reason! From Newsday March 30, 1992 : His spokesman says Bono was actually being interviewed by a journalist during dinner when the Irish rocker decided to undress, as we reported. "The writer was so unimaginative, so frozen, so unloose that Bono thought it would be a good idea to take his clothes off," the spokesman said. "And there wasn't much of a reaction."

7.9.3 What's the deal with Bono's guesthouse?

[CB] Bono used to live in Bray, where he had a small Martello tower (these were watchtowers built to guard the coast). In interviews it was often referred to as his 'castle', when all it was was a spiral staircase with a wall around it. James Joyce used to live in a similar one close by, so Bono must have thought it ultra cool. When he moved, he kept the thing, and rented it out to people for a pound a month, or something like that. I believe Shane McGowan lived there for a while.

8. What if I played it backwards? [Hidden messages, etc]

[MJS] This is a new section devoted to the questions that start, "I was listening to AB with my headphones and I heard ......"

8.1 Seconds

[ML] On Seconds when Edge sings:
"In an apartment on times square, . . .
Its the puppets, its the puppets who pull the strings."
Someone is speaking in the background and it's not the "Soldier Girls" part, this happens before they stop and play the excerpt. I've been bugged about this for a while and hope someone can answer.

[LW] I think what you are talking about (i may be wrong) is a low voice (Bono's)that has been overdubbed and he is just repeating the lines.

Credits:
[An] Andrew Cameron (al...@freenet.carleton.ca)
[AC] Andrew Cowley (s300...@hardy.ocs.mq.edu.au)
[AL] Angela Lamb (a...@oasis.icl.co.uk)
[AK] Alastair Keady (ke...@iscm.ulst.ac.uk)
[CL] Carl Lindberg (lind...@cs.colgate.edu)
[CB] Caroline van Oosten de Boer vo...@knoware.nl
[CS] Coco Sindhu (Coco_...@mindlink.bc.ca)
[GD] Greg DeJong (gde...@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca)
[Ge] Gene (G...@waikato.ac.nz)
[GB] Gudmundur Bjarni Josepsson (gu...@rhi.hi.is)
[GM] Greg Murphy (gr...@koko.csustan.edu)
[HJC] Joe Cohen (co...@lock.ccil.org)
[IM] Iain Marshall (COS.MA...@GLASGOW-POLY.AC.UK)
[JA] Joel Abbott (abb...@inslab.uky.edu)
[JC] Jeff Chung via Tony Mason (rib...@netcom.com)
[JG] James E. Gass (ed...@ecst.csuchico.edu)
[JK] John Kinsella (jlkin...@ucdavis.edu)
[JV] Jon Vessey (jve...@husc.harvard.edu)
[K] Karen (the Conways) (con...@rpi.edu)
[KM] Kim Mancini (Djp...@prodigy.com)
[LW] Leslie (Lesl...@aol.com)
[M] Cynos Acherone (mes...@rpi.edu)
[ML] Morgan Lambert (TLQ...@prodigy.com)
[MM] Matt Murer (m-m...@uiuc.edu)
[MJS] Maryann Stump (jbr...@prodigy.com)
[MP] Michelle Panik (tdb...@prodigy.com)
[MPZ]Michelle Perez (mip...@pipeline.com)
[MV] Mariann Vestic (ftm...@prodigy.com)
[NE] Nems (ne...@waffle.sns.com)
[P] Matt McGee Ple...@aol.com
[PB] Prarit Bhargava (Bhar...@meena.cc.uregina.ca)
[PC] Patty Culliton (ACM...@prodigy.com)
[PH] Paul Hosking (Paul.H...@comp.vuw.ac.nz)
[PR] Phil Roybal (ROYB...@POETS.WHITTIER.EDU)
[PV] Paul van Gorp (vg...@hpcad.prl.philips.nl)
[RA] Ray Aguilera (agui...@uclink2.berkeley.edu)
[RK]Ralf Kaldowski kal...@pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
[SL] Sergio Lucero (slu...@cipres.cec.uchile.cl)
[SR] Saias Remi (sai...@JSP.UMontreal.CA)
[ST] Steve Theodorou (st...@crl.com)
[SW] Sarah Wilson (s.wil...@genie.geis.com)
[UP] ULISSE PEROTTA D92...@NADA.KTH.SE

Thanks to everyone who has contributed.
Maryann Stump
JBR...@PRODIGY.COM

mjs...@ix.netcom.com

Oct 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/20/96

Archive-name: music/U2-faq/part3
Alt-fan-U2-archive-name: fan/U2-faq/part3

2. Stories for Boys

[SL] This section is designed to hold answers to some frequent questions about U2. Some questions like 'Which U2 song is the best?' have of course no definite answer, and are left out. Some of these questions have given birth to eternal discussions on Wire, especially the one about 'Pride' (sing or saint?) and the Sunday Bloody Sunday references. The subsections are intended to divide U2's history in different eras.

2.1 The early years

2.1.1 Who started U2 and when? How did they get those wacky nicknames?

[SL] Larry Mullen, Jr. was born on October 31, 1961 on the southside of Dublin. He was two years behind Bono in high school but both noticed each other. It was Larry who posted an ad on abulletin board at school about starting a band.
Paul Hewson (Bono) was born on the 10th of May, 1960 in Dublin. He was a very outgoing person in high school who responded to Larry's note saying that he could play guitar and sing. He really couldn't do either.
Adam Clayton was born in Oxfordshire on March 13, 1960 and moved to Dublin after his father got a job flying for Aer Lingus . Although he was not a very good student, he was was always very polite to everyone. He was the only bassist to respond to Larry's note.
Dave Evans (the Edge) was born on August 8, 1961 in East London. His family moved to Dublin a year later. He was often known as a loner early in high school. He took piano and guitar lessons and often played with his brother, Dick. Both showed up to "U2's" first little gathering.

[P] First meeting at Larry+s house (60 Rosemount Avenue); set up in Mullen+s kitchen, and played Rolling Stones -Brown Sugar+ and -Satisfaction+ (UF, p. 61); entire group includes Larry, Dave and Dik Evans, Adam Clayton, Paul Hewson, Peter Martin, and Ivan McCormick .

[CB] Larry was born on the *northside= of Dublin, Artane.
Bono, which is a shortening of Bono Vox, got his name through a group of friends of his who were known as the Village. The name, which means "good voice" in Latin, was the name of a hearing aid shop in Dublin. Edge was named by Bono because Dave was always on the fringe of things.

[GB] I heard on a TV show that Bono gave this name to Evans because of the sharp lines in his face. This could also apply to his clear, clinging guitar playing.

[CB] The thing in Lypton Village about naming people was that: 1) they thought it strange that you should go by a name given to you by your parents, when that name might not really suit you. 2) the nicknames were often associated with a facial thing and it would then also apply to the person's character. So The Edge had this prominent jaw line & was always on the edge of things: like an observer. Bono's first Village name was: Steinhegvanhuysenolegbangbangbangbang (!)
Paul McGuinness became known as 'The Goose'.

2.1.2 Where does the name U2 come from?

[M] The reason for the band picking the name U2 is not really known. For one thing, the U2 is a spy plane that was in service during the late '50s and '60s. There was a U2 that was involved in a crash over the old Soviet Union on 4 May 1960 (four days before Bono was born). The name U2 is also a pun, as in you too or you two. The name seemed to be sufficiently vague to work as the name of the band we now know and love.

[JC] The U2 model was an American spy plane used after WWII. It is famous for the 'U2 incident'. This plane was used for high altitude reconnaissance before the use of satellites and was not supposed to be detectable by radar. The plane was shot down over Soviet Russia in the late 50's, and the pilot, Francis Gary Powers, captured. When the Soviets announced to Dwight Eisenhower they had shot down a U2 spy plane, his retort was 'What plane?' Yes, a great moment in Presidential history.) The band took thei
r name after this plane.

[PG] Before U2, the group had two other names (for a short period): 'Feedback' and 'The Hype'.

[GM] 1960 was the year. Eisenhower knew about U-2 flights over the USSR, but he wasn't just going to come out and admit it in case the Soviets were bluffing. Adam said he liked names like XTC, they had Steve Averill come up with a bunch of suggestions. They didn't exactly love the name U2, but they couldn't come up with a better name, so they used it. The above reasons why it was the best are pretty accurate.

2.1.3 Which band members were/are in U2?

[SL] This is very boring. U2 lack the emotion of big bands like Pink Floyd and the Beatles when it comes to rupture rumors, and gossip. They have always had the same members, and it's not bound to change in the near future. The four guys seem to be good friends. However...

[PG] In the first few weeks of their existance, Edge's brother Dick Evans was also in the band.

[CB] The band were advised to dump Larry, in the early days.(by a record company)

2.1.4 Who's the boy on the cover of "Boy" and "War"?

[SL] I saw an interview around the time of the Joshua Tree tour where Bono talks about this. He was a kid who lived across the street in front of Bono's house in Dublin. Quote 'He was a smart guy, know-it-all, he's probably taller than me now'

[Ge] His name is Peter Rowan.

[RA] Peter was a one of Bono's friends younger brother. The cover was changed in the States because of " a vague worry at the label that there might be a homosexual impression left from the boy's waist-up nakedness." (Ellen Darst)

[CB] Peter Rowan is the brother of Derek "Guggi" Rowan, and Strongman - both of which were in the Virgin Prunes. Peter later became skate-board champion of Ireland, works in a skate-board shop and has also had various acting parts, notably in 'The Commitments" and "The Snapper".

2.1.5 Wait, I don't see a boy on the "Boy" cover!!

[SL] That's probably because you have the US release of the album, which has been censored /edited to avoid child abuse implications.

[MM] I believe that the change of the cover of boy was not the band's choice. In a biography of the band there is a detailed descrition of how CBS (I think) record executives decided that the picture of the boy on the front would be bad marketing, they were afraid it would have homosexual overtones. I'm not making this up, hard to believe aint it. Anyway, for more info I believe the correct source in Hot Presses biography, forgot the title.

[Ge] It was Warner's in the USA that chanded the cover of Boy for fear of paedophilia claims.

2.1.6 What does Bono sing at the end of Another Time, Another Place?

[JV] It sounds like German - what is it and why is it there?" No one seems to know the answer to that last one, though plenty of people would like to find out.

2.1.7 What is the meaning behind the title "An Cat Dubh"?

[AL] My boss, who is (Northern) Irish, told me it's Gaelic for *The Black Cat=. Sort of makes sense if you listen to the words, I think.

2.1.8 Who is Gavin Friday?

[CB] Gavin Friday was born Fionan Hanvey, October 8, 1959, a few blocks down the road from Bono. They met and became friends in their teens and to date Bono describes Gavin as his 'friend for life, drinking buddy on weekdays and some sort of a musical diviner'. Gavin formed the Virgin Prunes, taking a left turn where U2 went to the right, fueled by such diverse influences as the Dada movement, Salvador Dali, Bowie, T-Rex, The Sex Pistols and.... ABBA, as well as a smouldering Celtic strain. Spontaneity
was important to the band's performances and when that spontaneity was all but dead around 1986, Friday decided to call it a day. After a brief painting stint, he returned in with his solo debut 'Each Man Kills the Thing He Loves' (Island 1989) on which he exorcised all the ghosts that had lain dormant since the Prunes demise. The record was a dark, moody, introspective affair, dealing with such primary topics as love, sex and death. Determined not to be categorized Friday revamped his 'cabaret singe
r from hell' act into 'mad eclectic popstar' for his second album 'Adam 'n' Eve', showing a lighter side of himself, but not wandering too far from his familiar themes. On the ZOO TV and Zooropa tours, Friday's possible influence on U2 became more apparent to the media, the NME going as far as naming him Bono's 'confidante and advisor'. Many believed his presence was strongly felt in Bono's new stage character 'MacPhisto', but Friday claims he only 'put the horns on him'. In 1993, Friday, his pianis
t Maurice Roycroft and Bono collaborated on the 'In the Name of the Father' soundtrack, with Bono admitting it was Gavin who did 'most of the work.' Late 1995 will see Friday, who says he 'never could rock and never wanted to roll' return to the stage with his third record on Island: Shag Tobacco.

[MJS] If you want to know more about Gavin Friday check out the following web site:

Gavin Friday's Wonderful Wicked World
http://www.xs4all.nl/~pj/gf-index.html

and Caroline Von B's book on Gavin Friday, "The and the Dark."
A sound sample of the single "In the Name of the Father" is available at the U2 site and on Compuserve.

2.2 October to The Unforgettable Fire

2.2.1 Where is the castle on the cover of "The Unforgettable Fire"?

[GD] The castle on The Unforgettable Fire is NOT Slane Castle. The album was partly recorded at Slane Castle, but the castle on the cover is called Moydrum and is in county West Meath.

[CB] The castle on the cover of The Unforgettable Fire is Castle Moydrum, which is near Athlone. It's about a half an hour walk from town. I've been there a few times (every time to show different people the site). However, the castle on the backsleeve of the album is yet another castle. This is called Carrickgogunnel, in County Tipperary. (confirmed by Cecelia Coffey - Principle Management Dublin).

2.2.2 Where did the idea for "The Unforgettable Fire" come from?

[JC] "The Unforgettable Fire" is the name of a collection of drawings and pictures made by the survivors of the Hiroshima nuclear bomb blast at the end of World War II. Although simplistic in depiction, they are considered national treasures by the Japanese. An exhibit toured through the United States in early 1984, and U2 saw the exhibit in Chicago. Touched by the exhibit, it inspired the song and album title, as well as some of the painting used as stage backdrops on the'Fire' tour.

[JV] The album title also refers to the "unforgettable fire" for equality and peace which burned inside people like Martin Luther King, Jr. The songs themselves speak to this, juxtaposing images of nuclear devastation and human triumph in and between the various tracks on the album.

2.2.3 Tell me all about the song "Pride (in the name of love)"

"Why does Bono sing 'Early morning, April Four' in Pride, when MLK was shot in the early evening?"
[JV] The Wire answer is basically that he either screwed up or exercised poetic licenseto make it fit better.

[GM] Bono says he screwed up. He sometimes sings 'Early evening, April 4' The song's origins came during the War Tour in a soundcheck in Hawaii. The original lyrics were anti-Reagan with 'What more in the name of love' also being a featured lyric according to The Edge. The song evolved into one about martyrs and those who create them.

[P]This in no way is an effort to justify what is a glaring historical inaccuracy in the song, but .... When Bono heard the news as a 7-year-old in Dublin, it WAS early morning. BUT ... it was early in the morning on April 5th when he would have heard the news.

2.3 Time for worldwide acclamation

2.3.1 Is The Joshua Tree the biggest U2 album ever?

[SL] I'll fill this up when I have some more time...

[GM] It sold the most units. 14 million worldwide I think.

[P] It topped the charts in 22 different countries!!!

2.3.2 What's the story behind "Where the Streets have no name"?

[SW] Back during the time of the whole Ethiopia starvation crisis, Bono and his wife Ali did a 6 week deal over there as volunteer relief workers or something of the such. The tent cities that were set up for the people were just lined up in rows, and that was how these people lived, hence there were streets without names. 'high on a desert plain' would be refering to Ethiopia, as well as the mentions of being 'blown by the wind' and 'trampled in dust', as it was a drought and i'd imagine, awfully dusty.
Also, I would assume that 'and when I go there, i go there with you...' would be refering to Ali. IMO, the begining lines are written in frustration at the misery and hopelessness of the situation and his inability to make very much of a difference.

2.3.3 Who are Greg Carrol and Jara in "One Tree Hill"?

[PH] A New Zealander (Greg Carroll) who worked for the band was killed in a motorcycle accident in Dublin while doing something for Bono. I think the funeral was held in the Maori cemetry at the top of One Tree Hill in Auckland--hence the name of the song. FYI, One Tree Hill is called that because although there are plenty of trees on the lower slopes of the hill, the upper slopes are completely bare apart from a tall, old tree on its own at the top. Somebody told me that it was diseased and had to be cut
down, but I looked last time I was in Auckland and it was still there.

[SL] Victor Jara was a Chilean folk singer/songwriter who was very famous at the beginning of the 70s in Chile. His songs were full of social criticism and called for uprising. He was respected among the intellectual leaders of the socialist Chilean government. Alas, Augusto Pinochet overthrew the government in a military coup. Part of the associated repression included torturing Victor Jara to death, cutting both his hands and making him sing and play the guitar afterwards. Thus, "Jara sang, his song a w
eapon in the hands of love, his blood still cries from the ground".

2.3.4 Tell me about the Negativland incident

[SL] I have chosen to quote here a 'neutral' answer. This is sampled from the music /alternative-faq /part1 file, available from and mantained by Joshua Buergel - all...@cmu.edu - jb...@andrew.cmu.edu. If you'd like to get the mentioned lyrics, check out question #1
[MJS] Since this incident has faded somewhat, I've shortened this answer a bit. The full version is still available at the address above.
A: The Negativland _U2_ single put out in late '91 by SST Records and featured two tracks, both of which made fun of U2's "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For". Shortly after its release, an enormous legal document arrived at SST from Island Records/ Warner-Chappel Publishing, the gist of which was that SST was getting its butt sued for putting the thing out. Among the charges being levelled were that the packaging was deceptive (this was reportedly the biggest problem that Island had with the recor
d), that the use of various unauthorized samples on the single were copyright infringement (Negativland maintained that as a piece of satire the samples should have been allowed) and lots of other charges. Incidentally, the "deceptive" packaging as that the single had "U2" in huge letters on the front with "Negativland" in really small letters across the bottom. Island apparently felt that such packaging was intended to deceive the consumer into believing it was a U2 release.
Anyway, SST and Negativland got squashed. The settled out of court. Total damages: $90,000. SST tried to get Negativland to pay the entire bill while N'land offered to pay half. No agreement was reached and N'land left SST records, whose owner (Greg Ginn, ex-Black Flag guitarist) threatened lawsuits. Shortly thereafter Negativland put out a CD and magazine combo entitled "The Letter U and the Numeral 2" which documents the whole fiasco, including press releases, legal documents, articles and everyt
hing else possibly concerned with the whole situation.

[MJS] Finally, I think it's worthwhile to let U2 have their say in this. The Edge was interviewed by Mondo 2000 magazine in 1992. Two members of Negativeland took part in the interview, although this was not revealed to the Edge until halfway through the interview. The entire text of this interview is available What follows is a very brief excerpt of U2's perception of the incident.

EDGE: Yeah, well from what I can remember, I can't remember the exact sequence of events, but as it was presented to us, you know, "Here's the record, here's the album sleeve, Island are already on the case here, and they've objected because they feel it's, because of the artwork, this is at a time when a lot of people are expecting a new U2 record," and they felt that, from their own point of view, in a pure business sense, nothing about art, I just think they felt there was a chance that people would pi
ck up the record in a record shop and think, "Oh, this is the new U2 album."

2.3.5 In the Song Angel of Harlem, what is "BLS"?

[MP] In the song Angel of Harlem, there's a line, "On the BLS I heard the sound, of an angel . . ." Could you tell me what "BLS" is??? I thought it was somehow associated with airplanes, or those ever-annoying PA systems in airports, but I can't seem to figure this one out. Any info about it???

[MPZ] As a lifelong New Yorker, I can tell you that BLS in the line "On BLS I heard the sound (of an Angel)" refers the New York City radio station WBLS-FM, which has been playing Rhythm & Blues/Soul music for 20+ years.

2.3.6 What is The Joshua Trio?

[AK] I know all about the Joshua Trio as it was some mates of mine that put the whole thing together. I did the graphics for the one and only single release (only in the UK and Ireland). Basically the Joshua Trio sprung from the overblown state of U2 circa Joshua Tree/Rattle and Hum. We were in art college in Dublin and three friends had established a punk/country band called the Dodge City Slickers. The Slickers were very theatrical and were a great laugh while they lasted. Just prior to the Joshua Tre
e tour in the States we were involved in doing some 'club design' stuff in the Factory for a birthday party for Adam Clayton. There was a little stage set up where pretty much everybody was gigging on by nights end. There was the strange combo of U2, Cactus World News, The Dodge City Slickers, and Hank Halfhead and his Rambling Turkeys all doing covers.
Anyway when the Slickers broke up Paul the singer had this idea of a jazz combo which only did U2 covers. It was a tongue in cheek idea which then developed into a greater concept:
'To bring the music of U2 to a wider audience'
Bono at this point was acting very egotistical and moralistic so the idea of Bono as a religious guru with a message to spread became part of the Trio's concept. The band wore either angels wings and 'jesus style' towels around their waist or (in Pauls' case) a toga and a medallion with Bonos' face on it.
The jazz (and trio) idea gradually turned into a wider musical thing, with jazz, country, metal, loungebar and just plain stupid interpretations of U2 stuff. Also songs about U2 ('the edge has got his hat on', 'nothing compares to U2') 'Nothing compares' was sung by 'guest star' Sinead (Paul in a bathing cap).
The movie was a proposal called (if memory serves) 'The last temptation of Bono' (or something). It involved a cast of Irish music types and would have been very funny. It was offered (ironically) as a serious venture and was taken as such by a variety of media types. Arthur, who was in the early version of the Trio is a very talented comedy writer for TV who is flavour of the month in the UK at the moment.
The Trio became very popular in Ireland for a period and took to bringing donkeys into venues for gigs and such like. They had some interesting forays into England where they had a strange small cult following. For some reason Japanese girls seemed to love them (?)
A single/ep was released through Son (part of the U2 stable) which got good airplay in the UK but never sold very well (you could never find the thing!). It was a country version of 'The Fly' with a couple of live numbers.With the Zoo TV tour the joke didn't make as much sense (although there were gigs in Dublin with televisions, washing machines and bicycles on stage) and the band lost interest. There you go. A potted history of the Joshusa Trio

[MJS] The movie was to be called "The Last Temptation of Chris DeBurgh," the Joshua Trio dropped hints about the plot in an interview with Hot Press that can be found in Three Chords and The Truth.

2.3.7 Why haven't I seen the video for Red Hill Mining Town?

[PC] The song was actually slated to be the second single off of the album. The video was shot in Bodie, California (a ghost town) and directed by Neil Jordan. But while W/or W/Out You was doing its tour of duty, the band was rehearsing for the tour and they discovered that Red Hill was too high for Bono to sing every night and would not be in the setlist for the tour. And as logic says: What's the good of touring if you can't use it to promote your latest record/single?

[P] The original copy of the video remains in storage at Principle Management's offices in Dublin. Rumors have circulated that MTV showed this video once on-air, and that they also have a copy of it in their "library." These rumors are just that, and they are false.

2.3.8 Who dies at the end of the All I Want is You video?

[MJS] This question truly is frequently asked. I think it's the woman.

2.3.9 Was JT originally a double album?

[P]When Edge was asked about this in Hot Press, he never REALLY confirmed the idea. This is his response: Edge on double-album idea: "For instance, we disagreed vehemently about what songs should go on the album. If Bono had his way, 'The Joshua Tree' would have been more American and bluesy, and I was trying to pull it back." That compromise led to the later flood of new B-side tracks. Bono argued that "the album is almost incomplete. 'With or Without You' doesn't really make sense without 'Walk to the
Water' or 'Luminous Times'. And 'Trip Through Your Wires' doesn't make that much sense without 'Sweetest Thing.'" (HP, 12/87)

2.3.10 What does Hawkmoon 269 mean?

[MJS] I read somewhere that Hawkmoon 269 was taken from a road sign the band saw from their tour bus. It means, literally the town of Hawkmoon is 269 miles from this point. The name intrigued Bono and eventually he used it as the title for the song we know and love.

2.4 Awards

[MJS] This area is under contruction.

2.4.1. Grammy Awards

[MJS] This area is under construction.
1987: Best Album - JT; Best Rock Group Vocal - JT

1988: Best Rock Group Performance - Desire; Best Music Video, Short Form - Where the Streets Have No Name

1992: Best Rock Group Performance - AB

1993: Best Alternative Album - Zooropa

1994: Best Music Video, Long Form - ZooTV Live From Sydney

2.4.2 Brit Awards

2.4.3 MTV Awards

2.4.4 Rolling Stone Magazine

[MJS] Rolling Stone Magazine's Music Awards are given annually, based on a readers poll and a critics poll. The top 5 picks are listed for each category, but I've only listed U2 wins here. If you want to see each U2 placing in the awards, check out U2: The Rolling Stones Files.

1985: Readers Picks - Band of the Year; Best Performance at Live Aid;
Critics Picks - Band of the Year

1987: Readers Picks - Artist of the Year; Best Album - JT; Best Single - WOWY [Streets and Still Haven't Found came in 2nd & 3rd];Best Band; Best Male Singer - Bono; Best Producer - Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno; Best Songwriter - Bono; Best Video - Streets [WOWY was #2]; Best Album Cover - JT; Best Live Performance; Best Guitartist - The Edge; Best Bass Player - Adam Clayton; Best Drummer - Larry Mullen Jr.; Sexiest Male Rock Artist - Bono
Critics Picks - Artist of the Year; Best Band; Best Producer - Daniel Lanois; Best Guitarist - The Edge

1988: Readers Picks - Artist of the Year; Best Album - R&H; Best Single - Desire; Best Band; Best Male Singer - Bono; Best Songwriter - Bono; Best Video - Desire; Best Album Cover - R&H; Best Bass Player - Adam Clayton; Best Drummer - Larry Mullen Jr.

1991: Critics Picks -Comeback of the Year; Best Drummer - Larry Mullen Jr.;

1992: Readers Picks - Best Single - One; Best Band; Best Male Singer; Artist of the Year; Best Album - AB; Best Songwriter - Bono; Best Album Cover - AB; Sexiest Male Artist - Bono; Best Tour - ZooTV; Best Drummer - Larry Mullen Jr.; Comeback of the Year;
Critics Picks - Best Band [tied w/REM]; Best Tour - ZooTV; Worst Tour - ZooTV

2.4.5 Other Awards

[MJS] Under construction.

Grace

Oct 27, 1996, 2:00:00 AM10/27/96