Female Trombonists

Neal

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

How many world-class trombonists can we come up with who are female?
Specifically, ones who have recorded or play with fairly widely recognized
groups as soloists. Jazz./classical/other...

I can think of none! I am ashamed of myself - if a trombonist can't come up
with any, who can? Enlighten me/us.

Donald Patterson

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

Abbie Conant, former principal trombonist in the
Stuttgart Radio Symphony (?) (I think).

--
Don Patterson <don...@erols.com>
Arranger

Visit the U.S. Marine Band website
http://www.marineband.hqmc.usmc.mil

The views expressed are my own and in no way
reflect those of the U.S. Marine Band or the U.S.
Marine Corp.

John Park

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

Heather Buchman (sp?) Principal, San Diego Symphony

John Park 'Everything works,
Corvallis, Oregon if you let it.'
jp...@proaxis.com -Meatloaf

Andy Harman

Feb 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/28/98

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998 17:59:43 -0500, "Neal" <nea...@javanet.com>
wrote:

>How many world-class trombonists can we come up with who are female?
>Specifically, ones who have recorded or play with fairly widely recognized
>groups as soloists. Jazz./classical/other...

Betty Glover was bass trombonist for the Cincinnati Symphony for many
years. Not sure if she's still around or not.

Andy

Visit the Prototype Modelers Group Web Page at http://w3.one.net/~aharman/index.html
Sorry I must resort to anti-spam practice, reply to aharman at one (spelled out) dot net

Mark Downes

Feb 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/28/98

Neal wrote:

> How many world-class trombonists can we come up with who are female?
> Specifically, ones who have recorded or play with fairly widely recognized
> groups as soloists. Jazz./classical/other...
>
> I can think of none! I am ashamed of myself - if a trombonist can't come up
> with any, who can? Enlighten me/us.

The last time I saw the Oslo Philharmonic play, the principal was a
woman. I don't know her name but she has a great sound whoever she is.

Andy Derrick

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

--
Personal email to: andy_d...@yahoo.com
Business email to: andek...@geocities.com

Patrick David Dixon

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

Abbie Conant is one of the best musicians I have ever had the
priviledge to hear, trombonist or otherwise. She is currently living and
teaching in Munich, I think. She does a lot of performance art, most of
it written by her husband. Her piece "Miriam" is incredible -- a tour de
force both musically and emotionally.

Abbie's sound and musicality are without equal -- I think she even
has Christian Linberg beat in some areas (I know, thats kind of a
heretical statement . . .). Incredible, effortless playing.

She has a CD of trombone and organ music thats kind of hard to
find.

Check out some back issues of the ITA Journal (from around '92) to
read some articles about her and about her trials and tribulations in the
German orchestra scene.

--
*****************************
Patrick Dixon *

Songo Man

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

Annie Whirehaed - a Brisitsh Jazz trombonist

I think it's Whitehead, and I saw her once with Joe jackson's band. She didn't
get any solo space, but she had a nice, full sound.

songoman

Elin Høyvik

Mar 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/4/98

Mark Downes <mdo...@Xindigo.ie> wrote in article
<34F86B...@Xindigo.ie>...

> Neal wrote:
> >
> > How many world-class trombonists can we come up with who are female?
> > Specifically, ones who have recorded or play with fairly widely
recognized
> > groups as soloists. Jazz./classical/other...
> >
> > I can think of none! I am ashamed of myself - if a trombonist can't
come up
> > with any, who can? Enlighten me/us.
>
> The last time I saw the Oslo Philharmonic play, the principal was a
> woman. I don't know her name but she has a great sound whoever she is.

Her name is Aline Nistad.

Elin Høyvik
Mail : e...@computas.no
Company : Computas A.S
Adress : Box 444, N-1301 SANDVIKA, NORWAY

Carl Dershem

Mar 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/4/98

> > The last time I saw the Oslo Philharmonic play, the principal was a
> > woman. I don't know her name but she has a great sound whoever she
> is.
> >

> Her name is Aline Nistad.

Back when we had a symphony orchestra (sigh), our first trombonist was a
very nice woman named Heather Buchman. A very solid player.

cd

Endorphinz

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

There's an all-female big band out of New York called Diva. Give them a shot
when you're at the record store.

coquipr...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2013, 10:05:50 PM4/1/13
My new Latin Jazz CD , arranged and produced by ERic Figueroa will be released in a month, dedicated to Puerto Rican female composers and women in music!

You're welcome at my website www.maypeters.com Musical regards from San Juan- Puerto Rico.

jhc...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2020, 1:05:00 AM1/5/20
On Friday, February 27, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Neal wrote:
> How many world-class trombonists can we come up with who are female?
> Specifically, ones who have recorded or play with fairly widely recognized
> groups as soloists. Jazz./classical/other...
>
> I can think of none! I am ashamed of myself - if a trombonist can't come up
> with any, who can? Enlighten me/us.

Melba Liston, Artie Clark
Message has been deleted