So the new single

maevele

Aug 7, 2019, 11:34:27 AM8/7/19
It's tool as fuck. Like, if i programmed a super intelligent ai to make me a tool song. I've only listened once, and I might just not be in the right headspace, but I'm technically impressed but left dry by it so far. Needs Maynard screams.

tmwfte

Aug 7, 2019, 10:29:42 PM8/7/19
Exhale. Expel.

It's very measured. Deliberate. Even in terms of how it incorporates elements from previous Tool songs. Especially Reflection/Disposition. It may seem strange, but this feels like they played it safe with a first single. Something familiar to ease us back in.

I expect that it will be a grower.

Matt F

Aug 8, 2019, 7:05:33 AM8/8/19
I think Danny put it well in the Revolver interview, albeit maybe that was just relating to the song lengths...something like "well, this is who we are as a band now. let's accept it."

I've only listened once (from 8-8:10am EST) but I loved every second of it. wasn't expecting to, tbh.

I don't think there will be many more. if any more, Maynard screams though.

Human33

Aug 8, 2019, 10:00:07 AM8/8/19
Definitely has a Homeworld soundtrack feel to me. Egyptian, middle eastern progressions and meditations. Tool as fuck. As others have said, it doesn’t seem like 10 minutes while listening.

The Horse

Aug 18, 2019, 7:45:10 PM8/18/19
3 listens so far.
I like it. Cant say i love it. May be a grower, but feels more like a cool backgrounder, and long enough so that it can move to the foreground 3 or 4 times while keeping the power elevated... lately i've been comparing everything i hear to a Dark soundtrack (that's the German Netflix show i'm currently obsessed with), and this fits extremely well. The Deceiver is either Adam or Claudia, or time itself. Higgs boson? this could be a TooL song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66VnOdk6oto

So if/when they do it live, i wonder how the intro chimes will be played -- if its prerecorded, or if May-May has some freaky synthed-out finger cymbols.. or could maybe be done using a tiny gong attached to Danny's kit. Tiny gongs rule. they RULE!!

Reading the lyrics (Yeah. "Long overdue"), and some random interpretations people have posted, i wonder if this was written after the finished song came into May-may's hands, or if he had some stuff already packaged and ready to plug in where appropriate - maybe someday he'll confess, not that it matters either way. Just makes me wonder.

Hi everyone. -HorsE

Matt F

Aug 18, 2019, 10:55:27 PM8/18/19
you....you went with may-may?

The Horse

Aug 21, 2019, 9:51:07 PM8/21/19
On Sunday, August 18, 2019 at 10:55:27 PM UTC-4, Matt F wrote:
> you....you went with may-may?

um. 'The Nard' better?