Stinkfist intro

Fat Tony

Jul 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/24/99
I'm sure you've all heard this question before but I haven't ever heard
the answer so I'll ask, what exactly makes the sound for the intro to
Stinkfist? I saw Maynard pick something up and hold it in his hands
when he did the song at a concert but I wasn't close enough to see what
it was. Does it involve 2 microphones?

d a v e

Jul 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/24/99
are you referring to "eulogy"? maynard uses a device for his part of the
intro to that song, but the intro of "stinkfist" is all triggered by
danny. a sample of danny playing bass guitar strings with sticks
perhaps?????

Blackbelt Jones

Jul 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/25/99
>what exactly makes the sound for the intro to
>Stinkfist?
> Does it involve 2 microphones?

The sound is made by adam tapping out artificial harmonics on guitar. Maynard
holds 2 microphones because one has an effects setting for that echo-ish sound
and the other is clean.

regards,
jiveturky1

"Pteradactyl idiot!" -Wazzzpinator.

My site, The Jiveturkey Holy Land
http://www.vuse.vanderbilt.edu/~ballewae

Pgsjgr

Jul 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/25/99
>a sample of danny playing bass guitar strings with sticks
>perhaps?????

i have a bootleg video of a concert at lolla in '97? maybe? anyways, danny,
during the extended part of stinkfist, plays something on his drum setup to
make that nintendo sounding noise (if that is what you are referring to). but,
i dont know for sure. that is what i gathered from the video.
jgr

Blackbelt Jones

Jul 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/25/99
>i have a bootleg video of a concert at lolla in '97

the sac 98 video is not the best but you can see Adam tap it out on guitar when
they play that part. Take a look, it's there.
The tapping intro has also been transcribed in guitar one.

Chris Brightwell

Jul 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/25/99

> the sac 98 video is not the best but you can see Adam tap it out on guitar
when
> they play that part. Take a look, it's there.
> The tapping intro has also been transcribed in guitar one.

it's a steel drum (synthed on-stage w/ triggers). i saw an african
guy that's heavy into his culture sit down with a copy of stinkfist and had
it figured out in 10 minutes, and duped it perfectly.

if you want to know that badly: to...@hooked.net ; the guys have an
email address for a reason.

laterz.
chris.

oneandone

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
Just to clear up the confusion...

Stinkfist: That is Adam playing it on his guitar with some sort of an object
used as a percussive device (i.e. drumstick), but I think it is something
like a "coke" bottle from what I gather from the bootleg video I've seen.
The bootleg that we have where it is VERY, notice the emphasis of very,
OBVIOUS that it is Adam was the first concert on the Aenima tour. If you
have that, check it out for yourself. It was from somewhere in California.

Eulogy: That part in the begining is done by Justin. He is using harmonics,
guitar players know what I'm talking about, and producing those pitches.
This is also on the same aforementioned bootleg. Look at it and check it
out.

I DON'T want to sound like a "toolier than thou" dick, but it just seems
like we are all arguing about the wrong thing.

Please check it out.

Jason

Blackbelt Jones

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
>Stinkfist: That is Adam playing it on his guitar with some sort of an object
>used as a percussive device

Yes, that's adam. He's just using his finger. He's tapping at the 21st fret
(of the D and G strings), making an artificial harmonic by pressing at the 2nd
fret at the same time.

>Eulogy: That part in the begining is done by Justin

Right again. He's using natural harmonics.

Lost Alibi

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
Now honsetly I couldn't tell you what they do for that live but to my eyes when
I listen to the studio version it sounds like possibly 2 guitars one playing
what is that heavy guitar and another which which plays the same heavy guitar
stuff except with some slide work and a steel drum synth patch, call me crazy,
perhaps I need to go back a have anothre listen.

Merovian
lost...@aol.com

Pgsjgr

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
i have this bootleg. they dont even do the intro to stinkfist in it.
stinkfist is the first song they played in the concert. the reason i know that
this is the concert of the first Aenima tour is because he says this right
after stinkfist. he says that this is the first show since the last albulm,
the he says that they get the worst show of the tour because they arent
"polished on this shit yet." the nintendo/funky sound at the beginning of
stinkfist is not played on this bootleg. (Los Angeles, CA)
jgr

>Stinkfist: That is Adam playing it on his guitar with some sort of an object

Aaron Johnson

Jul 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/28/99

oneandone wrote:

> Eulogy: That part in the begining is done by Justin. He is using harmonics,
> guitar players know what I'm talking about, and producing those pitches.
> This is also on the same aforementioned bootleg. Look at it and check it
> out.

Justin may do something during the intro, but those treble sounds are
produced by Maynard with a megaphone. I've got tons of videos where
it's clearly visible, and I've done the same thing myself, just to see
how it worked.

CatalystX

oneandone

Jul 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/30/99
I have never doubted that was maynard. I knew for a fact that it was
Maynard. I was referring to the other sounds.

Jason

CatalystX

Jul 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/30/99
ok, just making sure... don't you just love all those different layers
of sound in Tool's songs? :)

oneandone

Jul 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/30/99
yes
CatalystX <aar...@gte.net> wrote in message

Jim Long

May 6, 2021, 7:50:24 PM5/6/21
On Tuesday, July 27, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Pgsjgr wrote:
> i have this bootleg. they dont even do the intro to stinkfist in it.
> stinkfist is the first song they played in the concert. the reason i know that
> this is the concert of the first Aenima tour is because he says this right
> after stinkfist. he says that this is the first show since the last albulm,
> the he says that they get the worst show of the tour because they arent
> "polished on this shit yet." the nintendo/funky sound at the beginning of
> stinkfist is not played on this bootleg. (Los Angeles, CA)
> jgr
Searching for this in 2021 and all I remember is the line about not being polished and the worst show of the tour. His tone of voice crackes me up there. Thanks, 1999 man.