Greg Cohen story

Niterise

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
From today's Newark (N.J.) Star-Ledger:

Side man

Summit's Greg Cohen has played with everyone from Tom Waits to Elvis

Costello to John Zorn. And for this busy bassist, the beat goes on ....

By George Kanzler

STAR-LEDGER STAFF ś

"He's not only a bass player, he's the bass player of choice," says

jazz drummer Jake Hanna of Greg Cohen. ś

Hanna's not alone in that opinion. Cohen, a Summit resident, has

produced or appeared on nearly 100 albums, including two brand-new ones -

jazz clarinetist Kenny Davern's "Smiles" (Arbors Jazz) and eclectic

singer/songwriter Tom Waits' "Mule Variations" (Epitaph). He's also just

recorded a new album with pop singer Fiona Apple and can be heard on last

year's Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach collaboration "Painted from

Memory." ś

Cohen will also be keeping a high profile at two jazz festivals in

New York next month. At the Knitting Factory's Bell Atlantic Jazz Festival,

he'll be playing with the avant-garde quartet John Zorn's Masada as well as

Dave Douglas' Charms of the Night Sky. At the city-wide JVC Jazz Festival,

he'll participate in concert tributes to Benny Goodman's big band and Louis

Armstrong's early small groups. He'll also be sitting in with pianist Johnny

Varro's trio at Shanghai Jazz in Madison June 10. ś

"Greg plays everything from dinosaur music to dinner music, from

steakhouse to Stravinsky," says Waits. "He is a Renaissance man and a road

hog. He will always be the most indispensable member of the band." ś

Cohen, 45, a California native, is one of those rare musicians who

defies typecasting, recording and performing across a wide spectrum of jazz

and pop music. Last week found him joining folk singer Loudon Wainwright III

in gigs at New York's Bottom Line. In April he was in Japan, touring with

Hanna, traditional jazz pianist Ralph Sutton and clarinetist Davern. ś

"I see it all as music," says Cohen. "The reason I like being a bass

player is I am not only attracted to playing a lot of different tunes, from

different epochs of musical history, but I also like how you can affect the

rhythm of an ensemble, whatever it is, by the inflections of what you play.

Depending on who I'm playing with, I get to attack the bass in different

ways, with different rhythmic feels. That keeps me from getting bored doing

one thing." ś

Cohen's history with Waits is a long one. The bassist has appeared

on nearly all his albums since 1978. Cohen, who studied at Sonoma College

and the California School of the Arts, was 25 when Waits, who'd heard about

him through other musicians, asked him to audition for an upcoming tour. ś

"Waits was auditioning a whole new band," remembers Cohen, "but he

auditioned us all at once, so he couldn't really tell how well each of us

played, individually. So he ended up hiring the whole band. At the time, I

was playing with a lounge band in Los Angeles, doing the schlocky pop tunes

of the day, so Tom rescued me from all that." ś

Their relationship goes beyond music - they're also brothers-in-law.

While attending Waits' wedding in 1980, Cohen first met his wife-to-be,

Marguerite Brennan, an artist and potter. She was also the sister of the

bride, songwriter Kathleen Brennan. Greg and Marguerite married two years

later. ś

Working with Waits, Cohen also began arranging and producing music.

In 1990, he traveled to Hamburg, Germany, to serve as musical director on

"The Black Rider," a stage collaboration between Waits and avant-garde

producer/composer Robert Wilson. ś

Cohen, according to Waits, "is an irreplaceable obstetrician in the

birthing room of the recording studio. He knows arranging, conducting,

composing, bow-making and electricity." ś

Playing Waits' blues-and-R&B-influenced music wasn't a stretch for

Cohen, who was in a rock band with his older brother, Dan, in their

Hollywood neighborhood when he was 6. ś

"I wanted to be the drummer," he recalls, "but one of the older boys

said if I took the drums he'd beat me up. My brother and another older boy

already had the guitars, so I was left with the bass. Actually it was an old

'58 Gibson guitar with two top strings off and the others tuned down an

octave." ś

After the family moved from Hollywood to the San Fernando Valley

section of Los Angeles, Cohen took up the upright bass at Taft High School.

"Ken Camp, the music director at Taft, was a veteran of big bands,"

says Cohen, "and was a big influence on a lot of kids there. He got us

interested in music for all the right reasons. I ended up in the stage band,

which was pretty good, playing jazz charts, including things from the Count

Basie band book. That's when I got bitten by the jazz bug." ś

Cohen's musical interests were stretched further in college, when he

became interested in classical music, especially baroque and Bach. Although

he hasn't played in chamber orchestras since moving to the East Coast in

1984 ("I'd like to, but I'd have to practice a lot more with the bow,

develop that other muscle") he says he listens mostly to classical music

when at home. ś

Although he was involved in what he calls "bebop and beyond" in Los

Angeles, Cohen says that "as a side man, a bass player, I liked playing kind

of rootsy music, not intellectual or over the top, but things you could

dance to or at least tap your foot to. In L.A. I hooked up with Jim Hession,

a student of Eubie Blake's who also played Harlem stride piano. His wife,

Martha, sang Broadway show tunes and pop standards, so between them I

learned a whole repertory of tunes I wasn't used to." ś

Then, while on the road, Cohen met Eddie Davis, who was playing

banjo with Leon Redbone, whose band was sharing a tour with Waits. ś

"I was really taken with Eddie," remembers Cohen. "Here's a guy who

could play 'Sophisticated Lady' with all the right harmonies on a tenor

banjo. We used to hang out backstage together, so when I came to New York in

1984 I called him, and pretty soon I was working with him occasionally.

Through him I met Carol Sayer, another banjo player, and before I knew it I

was playing all this trad jazz, old-timey music, learning a whole other set

of tunes. ś

"These were banjo tunes and really old songs like 'Waiting for the

Robert E. Lee' and 'Alabamy Bound,' songs I didn't know from Adam. But I

liked it, the directness of the music and freshness of the chord changes,

harmonies that went in a different direction from the world of pop standards

and bebop." ś

Cohen began meeting and working with more traditional jazz and

neo-swing musicians, including Davern and another clarinetist, Ken

Peplowski, with whom he'll share the stage at the Benny Goodman tribute. ś

"I liked the way he played the first time we worked together,"

Davern says. "There's a depth to his playing. You know that he's heard a

lot, hasn't just come up the pike and turned it on. He's done a lot of

listening, a lot of observing, and it's obvious in his playing. He has a

presence." ś

The admiration is mutual. Of Davern, Cohen says, "I really enjoy

playing with him. Kenny loves old tunes from the 1920s and 1930s, but he can

take them and make them sound modern. He never goes in expected directions,

he can go anywhere." ś

Going anywhere is what Cohen is about too. Trumpeter Dave Douglas,

Cohen's bandmate in Masada, says, "What I love about him so much is he's a

complete musician. When he's playing a piece, it's not about the bass part

or trying to be flashy, it's about understanding the whole composition and

adding to that in whatever way he can." ś

But, says Douglas, Cohen is also a great rhythm accompanist. "He's

able to give a groove all by himself. In my quartet, Charms of the Night

Sky, there's no drummer, so a lot of the time it falls to Greg to be the

whole rhythm section - and he is. It's so great to feel that happening." ś

In Masada there is a drummer, but no chordal instrument (piano or

guitar), so Cohen says he has to "outline motion and harmony in a linear

way." And he likes that different approach to the bass in jazz ensembles. A

few months ago Cohen brought a trio into the Knitting Factory that consisted

of himself, Peplowski and another reed player, Marty Ehrlich, playing mostly

bass clarinet. ś

"The idea of that openness, no chordal instruments or drums, just

bass and clarinets, has always appealed to my creative side," says Cohen.

"The bass has a different role, you take on harmonic leadership. I want to

do that trio again." ś

In the meantime, Cohen's production credits continue to grow. He's

produced more than a dozen records so far, including the debut album of

singer Madeline Peyroux, and recordings by Irish singer Mary Conklin, as

well as a duo of Portuguese guitarists playing traditional fado music. ś

One of his first producing projects was a 1991 album for Canadian

singer Holly Cole, titled "Blame It On My Youth." It became a big hit in

Japan, retitled "Calling You" for the song that became a Japanese hit. ś

Davern remembers shopping with Cohen in a record store in Kobe,

Japan, last month. ś

"We couldn't explain anything in English to the clerks, so a young

man (in the store) who'd studied oboe in California became our translator,"

Davern says. "There was a record playing on the sound system, some girl

singer. Greg looks up and says, 'I produced that record, it's Holly Cole.'

The oboist 'oohs' and looks up at Greg with such reverence you'd think he

was in a Shinto shrine." ś

Brother-in-law Waits sums Cohen up in his own inimitable way: ś

"I think of a close-up of a praying mantis, slowly eating a leaf,"

Waits says. "Careful, focused, confident, relaxed." ś

śGreg Cohen on the record

Greg Cohen has appeared on, or produced, close to 100 albums.

Here is a sampling that includes some of his personal favorites. ś

AS LEADER: "Way Low" Greg Cohen (DIW) (1998) ś

Named for an obscure Duke Ellington tune, this album has an

eclectic cast of musicians, all of whom Cohen has worked with before, but

not together. And it swings. ś

"Moment to Moment," Greg Cohen Quartet (DIW) (1997) ś

A impromptu quartet date by Cohen with veteran L.A.

musicians Teddy Edwards, tenor sax; Gerry Wiggins, piano, and Donald Bailey,

drums. ś

AS SIDE MAN: "One From the Heart: Original Soundtrack," Tom

Waits and Crystal Gayle (Columbia, 1982). ś

"The Black Rider," Tom Waits (Polygram, 1993) ś

Cohen first became involved in producing and arranging with Waits

on the "One from the Heart" soundtrack for the Francis Ford Coppola film. He

not only assisted in the production of "The Black Rider," but played a

number of instruments and composed incidental music. ś

"Weird Nightmare: Meditations on Mingus," Hal Willner, producer

(Columbia) (1992) ś

Cohen is the only bassist on this cross-genre tribute to the great

jazz bassist and composer Charles Mingus. ś

"Loose," Victoria Williams (Mammoth/Atlantic) (1994) ś

Cohen has worked with the pop/folk singer more than once. This is

his favorite album of the one he's done with her. ś

"Terrible," Terry Adams (New World) (1995) ś

An adventurous outing from the NRBQ keyboardist, who mixes modern

jazz and rock musicians. Cohen plays upright bass. ś

"Masada: Live in Jerusalem - 1994" (Tzadik) ś

Cohen likes the "energy" of this live two-CD recording of the

quartet with John Zorn, Dave Douglas and Joey Baron. It's one of 12 Masada

albums. ś

"Circle Maker," John Zorn (Tzadik) (1998) ś

This album features the Masada String Trio, with Cohen, cellist

Erik Friedlander and violinist Mark Feldman. ś

"Charms of the Night Sky," Dave Douglas (Allegro) (1998) ś

Trumpeter Douglas' unusual group is rounded out by the accordion of

Guy Klucevsek, Feldman's violin and Cohen's bass. ś

"Grenadilla," Ken Peplowski (Concord Jazz) (1998) ś

Mostly a clarinets with rhythm section album, it also includes

Cohen's "Variations," arranged for an all-clarinet ensemble. ś

"Painted from Memory," Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach (Mercury)

(1998) ś

Cohen, playing mostly electric bass guitar, teams up with veteran

West Coast studio drummer Jim Keltner, one of his favorites, on this pop

album. ś

AS PRODUCER:

"Blame It on My Youth," The Holly Cole Trio (Manhattan) (1991) ś

"Dreamland," Madeline Peyroux (Atlantic) (1996)

- George Kanzler ś

Gerrit Tijink

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
Thanks a lot, Niterise. I always like factual posts

Dagesse

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
Excellant review. Thank you ever so much for including it here

na -

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
add my "thanks for posting this excellent article" to the pile.

na