Saddest-Even Tom Waits song?

Brettster

Apr 9, 2001, 2:34:17 AM4/9/01
Hi,

Is there a specific Tom Waits song that makes you cry?

If so, I wanna know what it is. I'm making a list of the
biggest tearjerker songs of all time. Waits fans don't
normally want to tie themselves to an individual song,
but I'm asking you to do that.

Thanks for helping me add to my list!

Brett

Smar99

Apr 9, 2001, 3:10:09 AM4/9/01
Probably "Kentucky Avenue" and "Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis"
from the Blue Valentine album.

Also up there are the live version of "Train Song" on Big Time and "Pony" and
"Gerogia Lee" from Mule Variations.

Also, though it's not really that sad, I do sometimes have a pretty emotional
response to "Time" from Rain Dogs.

- Sean

P.S. - Here are some non-Waits songs:

1. Nine Inch Nails - "Hurt"
2. Leadbelly - "Goodnight, Irene"
3. Alice In Chains - "Don't Follow"
4. Soundgarden - "Zero Chance"
5. Ben Folds Five - "Brick"
6. The Verve Pipe - "The Freshmen"
7. Bruce Springsteen - "Highway Patrolman"
8. Live - "Lightning Crashes"
9. G. Puccini - "Un Bel Di, Vedremo" (Madama Butterfly)
10. "Long Black Veil", a traditional song
11. Radiohead - "Fake Plastic Trees" - this is probably the saddest song I've
ever heard.

Oliver Peters

Apr 9, 2001, 6:16:54 AM4/9/01
1. "Christmas Card from A Hooker in Minneapolis" from the Bootleg Romeo is
Bleeding.
2. "The Fall of Troy" from the Dead Man Walking Soundtrack

Smar99 <sma...@aol.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
20010409031009...@ng-fq1.aol.com...

FuddyPlum

Apr 9, 2001, 8:01:13 AM4/9/01
<< Is there a specific Tom Waits song that makes you cry? >>

It doesn't make me cry, but "A Little Rain" can put a dark funk on things,
especially the bit about the teenage girl dissapearing with the "vagabond" in
the van. The (78) version of "Innocent When You Dream" creates a spooky
melancholy that nearly brings me to tears. Tom's full blast groaning on
"Anywhere I Lay My Head" can also hit me in an emotionally exhausting way.

Ray Gun S*

"Can't you see? i'm exactly what I wanted to be
And that's true,You
Sit back while I tell you my name
I am
The Skinned Rabbit"
--The Billy Nayer Show

Hansel Dunlop

Apr 9, 2001, 8:49:46 AM4/9/01

"Brettster" <bret...@aol.com> wrote in message

For me it has to be 'Who are you' from Bone Machine, the line 'are you still
jumping out of windows in expensive clothes?' used to make me cry all the
time (Not anymore, I'm all grown up now) it just made me think of a lot of
tragic things that have happened. One of the song on 'Tom Waits -The early
years' used to really get me as well, I can't remember what it was called
but it had the line 'The stairs sound so lonely without you, 'aint made my
bed in a week...'

Hansel Dunlop Auckland, NZ

David Dajani [groovecentral rec]

Apr 9, 2001, 9:09:24 AM4/9/01

I think I've cried to 'Take It With Me' a few times..

David

--
MVH
David Dajani

out now: martin venetjoki: 'vitere tänder' E.P
slowpho: 'lovetech' EP (remixes from dan drehn)
due soon:
humrush: 'turbotape' EP (remixes from slowpho and
selsius)
thomas øverås & nils noa: 'lapilapp' (remixes from david
duriez, phil weeks and selsius)
yann fontaine: 'appearances' (remixes from Selsius and
TBA)

general info: groove...@comania.no
david: daj...@privat.cybercity.no [Managing Director]
dan: dand...@frisurf.no [A&R / Production]
fredrik: fre...@fredriknorman.com [Art Director Kid]
________________________________
Brettster <bret...@aol.com> skrev i
meldingsnyheter:20010409023417...@ng-mi1.aol.com...

ps

Apr 9, 2001, 10:18:27 AM4/9/01
In article <3ad1...@news.attica.net.nz>, Hansel Dunlop
<han...@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> "Brettster" <bret...@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a specific Tom Waits song that makes you cry?
> >
> > If so, I wanna know what it is. I'm making a list of the
> > biggest tearjerker songs of all time. Waits fans don't
> > normally want to tie themselves to an individual song,
> > but I'm asking you to do that.
> >
> > Thanks for helping me add to my list!

Hi! saddest for me right now - "House where nobody lives" and "Broken
bicycles"

Sarah V.

Apr 9, 2001, 4:02:00 PM4/9/01
David Dajani [groovecentral rec] <daj...@privat.cybercity.no> wrote in
message news:98682178...@news2.cybercity.dk...

> I think I've cried to 'Take It With Me' a few times..

Ditto for me on that one. When he played it in concert it was almost too
much for me.

Though I always sort of think it's a sweet and happy song, there's something
about it that gets me.

--
Sarah V.

Paul Coupe

Apr 9, 2001, 5:10:23 PM4/9/01
> For me it has to be 'Who are you' from Bone Machine, the line 'are you
still
> jumping out of windows in expensive clothes?' used to make me cry all the
> time (Not anymore, I'm all grown up now) it just made me think of a lot of
> tragic things that have happened. One of the song on 'Tom Waits -The early
> years' used to really get me as well, I can't remember what it was called
> but it had the line 'The stairs sound so lonely without you, 'aint made my
> bed in a week...'
>
> Hansel Dunlop Auckland, NZ

Yep, 'Who Are You' is the one that does it for me - not a clue what it's
about but it strikes a really deep chord with me. I think it's the ambiguity
of the lyrics that does it - you can twist the meaning around to make it
seem very personal to whatever crappy situation you find or have found
yourself in.

or maybe that's just me!

Paul.

Kreemchease

Apr 9, 2001, 5:28:50 PM4/9/01
filipino box spring hog makes me weep like a school girl.

matt

Mel Pierce

Apr 9, 2001, 8:42:11 PM4/9/01
For me the saddest Waits song would have to be "Whistle Down the Wind."
A man at the end of his life looking back and feeling as if he has
accomplished nothing, turns to face his death alone.

JJVW

Apr 10, 2001, 1:15:05 AM4/10/01
Kentucky Avenue is wonderfully pitiful, a very, very sad song. Also, Take Care
of All of My Children has an extremely mournful, urgent feel to it.

Raindog

Apr 10, 2001, 2:01:28 AM4/10/01
That whistling in Mockin' Bird is something that goes right through me every
time.

Riff Hard

Apr 10, 2001, 6:31:10 AM4/10/01
personaly for me it's The Heart of Saturday night.

Riff Hard

Apr 10, 2001, 6:47:31 AM4/10/01
you got my sentimental wheels turning,there are so many great heart string
waits songs.I think I would have to also add Pony and Take it with me to the
list.I also have a personal attachment to Time as well as hang down your
head.hope this helps.

Hansel Dunlop

Apr 10, 2001, 7:37:33 AM4/10/01

"Paul Coupe" <pco...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> Yep, 'Who Are You' is the one that does it for me - not a clue what it's
> about but it strikes a really deep chord with me. I think it's the
ambiguity
> of the lyrics that does it - you can twist the meaning around to make it
> seem very personal to whatever crappy situation you find or have found
> yourself in.
>
> or maybe that's just me!

Glad to see that I'm not the only one.

One of the reasons that I've always liked Tom Waits was his ability to draw
an absolute range of emotion, because he is not stuck in one genre you can
laugh, cry or just appreciate him but you could never say that he was purely
depressing or whatever.

Hansel Dunlop Auckland, NZ

kdwade1

Apr 9, 2001, 10:01:08 PM4/9/01
Hmm.. I was nearly brought to tears by the power of the string of songs at
the end of FWY.. Cold Cold Ground, Train Song, Innocent When You Dream
(78).. all the emotion there hits you real good. Same thing happens with a
string of songs on The Black Rider - Flash Pan Hunter, That's The Way, and
The Briar and the Rose. They fit together so well, and The Briar and the
Rose is such a good song. I'm also always affected by Time.

-kyle
http://members.dencity.com/bigfat

FuddyPlum <fudd...@aol.com> wrote in message

William Crawford

Apr 10, 2001, 1:28:58 PM4/10/01
Sometimes, "Ruby's Arms" has been the saddest song I could think of.

scott

Jonathan

Apr 10, 2001, 1:57:45 PM4/10/01

My votes would go for 'House Where Nobody Lives', 'Train Song' and
'That's the Way'. 'Flash Pan Hunter' and 'Crossroads' from The Black
Rider are also pretty sad, in a creepy kind of way.

Jon

jw

Apr 10, 2001, 6:00:01 PM4/10/01
There are loads, but I think the saddest song ever is Kentucky Avenue.
I also find Georgia Lee pretty sad, as I have a 3 year old niece with that
name! It would be cool if the song weren't so tragic.

Tim

Apr 12, 2001, 10:12:49 AM4/12/01
On 10 Apr 2001 17:28:58 GMT, w...@Stanford.EDU (William Crawford)
wrote:

>Sometimes, "Ruby's Arms" has been the saddest song I could think of.
>
>scott

When I was dating my wife we were driving into the cities and I had on
a Waits mix tape. She liked Waits (though nothing like me) and had
heard Ruby's Arms before but this time I had a captive audience. I
turned the sound up and told her to listen to the lyrics carefully. At
the end of the song I looked over at her and there were tears
streaming down her face.

/tim rai...@nospam.qwest.net
"...and the ghost of your memory is the thistle in the kiss..."

Tim

Apr 12, 2001, 10:12:50 AM4/12/01
On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:57:45 +0100, Jonathan <j-a...@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

I can't remember when I had ever cried from listening to a song but
when I got "Mule Variations" (I pre-ordered it from Amazon) I told the
family to leave me alone for awhile, went into the bedroom, put it on
and laid back and listened. When "House Where Nobody Lives" finished I
actually had tears on my cheeks. We had just moved into our home (our
first) and I think the emotions I was feeling from finally owning my
own home after all these years meshed well with the lyrics of that
song.

djoser13

Apr 12, 2001, 10:03:18 PM4/12/01
"A Soldier's Things". Frank's Wild Years" makes me cry - with laghter.
[Oh! My side!] LOL!

slazz

Apr 13, 2001, 2:35:53 AM4/13/01

"Martha"

CoupDgrac

Apr 13, 2001, 2:15:58 PM4/13/01
aww, you're all wrong... :-)

a lot of those songs arent really "sad", but more along the line of the "grand
weepers". I think, distinguishing a melancholy mood-piece from pure
sad-hopelessness, the first thing that came to mind was "blue valentines".

the sparse arrangement, the hopeless despair of the lyrics, the awareness of
the tricks memory tries to play, really makes this a standout.

i wish he'd play it more often. --like SOMETIME!

Felix

Apr 13, 2001, 5:41:46 PM4/13/01
Ok, I'll join the thread.

I think it's BLUE VALENTINE, especially performed live.... even the audience
seems to cry...
... and it's so beautiful, beautiful sadness

also on the top: MARTHA
no comment

"Brettster" <bret...@aol.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> [...]

Keen135

Apr 17, 2001, 11:14:29 PM4/17/01
>Is there a specific Tom Waits song that makes you cry?

'Georgia Lee' from Mule Variations. Also 'A Little Rain' from Bone
Machine(?)

Lisa

Dan Cook

Apr 18, 2001, 10:46:18 AM4/18/01
I'd go with "A Little Rain"... That last verse hit me hard the first
time I heard it. See, I *like* sad, depressing music, but I was stunned
hearing that verse, and I almost cried. It's the saddest effect on me
that a song has ever had, I think.

DC

Nate Birkholz

Apr 18, 2001, 5:19:43 PM4/18/01
Brettster wrote:

> Hi,

> Is there a specific Tom Waits song that makes you cry?
>
> If so, I wanna know what it is. I'm making a list of the
> biggest tearjerker songs of all time. Waits fans don't
> normally want to tie themselves to an individual song,
> but I'm asking you to do that.
>
> Thanks for helping me add to my list!
>
> Brett

"Martha," from _Closing_Time_
--

---Nate Birkholz <mailto:birk...@visi.com>-------------------------
Product Coordinator, MacSoft Software, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

"Here comes the future and you can't run from it,
If you've got a blacklist, I want to be on it"
Billy Bragg, "Waiting for the Great Leap Forwards"
_Workers_Playtime_, 1988

Nate Birkholz

Apr 18, 2001, 5:37:26 PM4/18/01
Dan Cook wrote:

> I'd go with "A Little Rain"... That last verse hit me hard the first
> time I heard it. See, I *like* sad, depressing music, but I was stunned
> hearing that verse, and I almost cried. It's the saddest effect on me
> that a song has ever had, I think.

Aw, cripes. I forgot "A little Rain." That's up there, too.

"Martha" and "A Little Rain," then, for me.

Tim

Apr 19, 2001, 12:09:56 PM4/19/01
On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:46:18 GMT, Dan Cook <dc...@mtholyoke.edu>
wrote:

I find "A Little Rain" more chilling than sad. Now, "It's More Than
Rain" on the other hand...

Unchain the Underground

Apr 20, 2001, 1:27:51 PM4/20/01
On 09 Apr 2001 12:01:13 GMT, fudd...@aol.com (FuddyPlum) wrote:

><< Is there a specific Tom Waits song that makes you cry? >>
>

>It doesn't make me cry, but "A Little Rain" can put a dark funk on things,
>especially the bit about the teenage girl dissapearing with the "vagabond" in
>the van.

It has made ME cry.

Greg

bakanalia

Apr 21, 2001, 2:11:42 AM4/21/01
Ah you're all wrong--it's "Christmas Card from a Hooker in
Minneapolis"--that tune is beyond sad, it's gun-in-mouth time.

Smar99

Apr 22, 2001, 7:06:53 PM4/22/01
>Ah you're all wrong--it's "Christmas Card from a Hooker in
>Minneapolis"

I guess you didn't notice when I mentioned that one... damn, what a wrencher.
The guts get all tight...

- Sean

Nate Birkholz

Apr 23, 2001, 4:13:35 PM4/23/01
bakanalia wrote:

> Ah you're all wrong--it's "Christmas Card from a Hooker in
> Minneapolis"--that tune is beyond sad, it's gun-in-mouth time.

I just listened to it 2 minutes ago (here in Minneapolis, actually), and
I think it's more *pathetic*, which is a different kind of sad than
"weepy" sad.

Nathan Hess

Apr 23, 2001, 7:23:59 PM4/23/01
Nate Birkholz <birk...@visi.com> writes:

> bakanalia wrote:
> >
> > Ah you're all wrong--it's "Christmas Card from a Hooker in
> > Minneapolis"--that tune is beyond sad, it's gun-in-mouth time.
>
> I just listened to it 2 minutes ago (here in Minneapolis, actually), and
> I think it's more *pathetic*, which is a different kind of sad than
> "weepy" sad.

Right. For the latter, do not pass go. Go straight to Kentucky Avenue.

--woodstock
--
It's funny how you can go through life thinking you've seen
everything... Then you suddenly realize there are millions of things

Dan Cook

Apr 23, 2001, 11:27:54 PM4/23/01
Well, Eyeball Kid makes my laugh so hard I wanna cry sometimes.... Though,
it is sort of sad, really. I guess I'm just perverse.

robo...@usa.net

Apr 24, 2001, 3:25:33 AM4/24/01
In article <3ADE04EF...@visi.com>, Nate Birkholz
<birk...@visi.com>
writes:
>Brettster wrote:

>> Is there a specific Tom Waits song that makes you cry?
>>
>> If so, I wanna know what it is. I'm making a list of the
>> biggest tearjerker songs of all time. >>>

"Georgia Lee" on Mule Variations.

It's the bridge "Close your eyes and count to 10 ..." that describes a
game of hide and seek. This might sound out of place in a murder ballad, but
when he sings "I want
you to find me ..." that is the key to raising kids.

When the album first came out my daughter was about to go off to college. No,
she wasn't completely out of control like "Georgis" - in fact she
turned out be be a fine young lady. But that line croaked by Tom, "I want you
to find
me" just made me suddenly come to a realization about teen-age alienation
and what seemed like wild behavior at the time.

I knew it all along in my heart, but that song articulated it so well.

swt

NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam. If this or other posts
made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email ab...@newsone.net

robo...@usa.net

Apr 24, 2001, 3:27:17 AM4/24/01