Friday's Show at the Agora!

Bert J. Ouellette

Nov 5, 1994, 2:48:06 PM11/5/94
Well, I am right now wearing the new "Looky at the New Tour Hats!"
T-shirt, with a Big-ol "John F." written across the front in black
permanent magic marker... Whatta-BUZZ! Anyway, the show was great, 'twas
my first TMBG show, and quite a catharsus after being a devoted fan for 7
years now. Let's see if I can remember how it went:

Frank Black opened, solo, becoming progressively weighed down in
guitars... was severly disappointed... was hoping to see a full band,
doing stuff like "Headache," "Ego," "L.A.," but he did mainly old '60's
covers, interesting, but a poor substitute for a talent like him.

Then a lot of smoking in between acts (mainly by my buds and myself), a
lot of TMBG-speak between us and the folks sitting behind us, a lot of
really bad disco music playing over the PA. Then... Lights Out.

The Countdown (anyone got this memorized?)
then They came out and played (don't know the exact order, will post later)

From what I remenber, they opened with Subliminal, after that I'm not
sure of the order, but they did Don't Let's Start, slowed-down version of
Ana Ng, Sleeping in the Flowers, Meet James Ensor, Twisting, Dig My
Grave, Stompbox, End of the Tour, I Palindrome I, Statue Got Me High,
Frankenstein (encore), Spy (with a really cool end-jam), rocked-out
version of Why Does the Sun Shine?, The Guitar, Snail Shell (encore),
Birdhouse (encore), Istanbul (not Constantinople) (encore), I'll post a
little more but anyway, after the show, we hung around, and Flansburgh
came out to sign stuff, so I got my shirt, my ticket stub and my huge
WENZ 107.9 poster (that I stole from the balcony) signed. So I got my
Back, my Wall, and my John Henry case all taken care of. But that's not
even the cool part.... I got a few questions answered, once and for all.

--So, when does "Super-feuled Freaksicle" come out? (new video compilation)
JF: "Oh, it should be next fall. We're gonna wait until we get a little
bit more footage, it'll be a lot longer than the first one."

--Why won't your publisher let you release sheet music?
JF: "Uh, 'cos they SUCK! But we're still trying."

--I heard a something on Dial-A-Song about a year ago, it was something
called "This Particular Rock Club." Where's it from? I loved it! I
taped it, and transcribed it, and now my band covers it."
JF: "Oh (laughs), it's just another song."
Any plan to release it to a CD5?
JF: "Naw, it's not THAT good a song... but feel free to cover it, you
want the publishing rights to it? You can have 'em!"

Anywayz, if anybody gets a boot of this show, I'll gladly snap it up!
Just E me and we'll deal! More Later!

--
B. Jason "PosterNutbag" Ouellette
[ boue...@ashland.edu ] "Deputy-Dog-dog-a-ding-dang-dep-a-dep-