I Can Tell / The Free Design

The Third John

Apr 19, 2004, 11:42:35 AM4/19/04
I've noticed that everyone's stopped mentioning these songs. I guess
because they were only mentioned once in an interview, quite a while
ago. But still, Linnell mentioned them as songs specifically in line
with the psychedelic theme... is it possible that either of these two
songs evolved into something different? Anybody know their status?

scratch

Apr 19, 2004, 2:50:04 PM4/19/04

We'll have to wait and see if they've gone the way of It's Not A Game
and Unreliable Narrator, I suppose.

-scratch

Dr. Tom B. Whatever

Apr 19, 2004, 3:21:28 PM4/19/04
Why? What did those two become?

scratch <scr...@the-pentagon.com> wrote in message

Kevin Sullivan

Apr 19, 2004, 4:18:01 PM4/19/04

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:21:28 GMT, "Dr. Tom B. Whatever"
<kna...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Why? What did those two become?

Nothing that we know of. They were never released.

Dr. Tom B. Whatever

Apr 22, 2004, 11:14:39 PM4/22/04
Wait, didn't Unreliable Narrator become I'm The Substitute, aka Substitute
Teacher, aka Kids Are Different Now?

Kevin Sullivan <ke...@beestung.netHERWORLD> wrote in message

Jordan QUSAK

Apr 22, 2004, 11:17:56 PM4/22/04
Wait, didn't Unreliable Narrator become I'm The Substitute, aka Substitute
Teacher, aka Kids Are Different Now?<<

I believe strongly that was some sort of mislabeling....

Thats just some Malcolm in the Middle Song, Flans has stated that "Unreliable
Narrator" is one of his "favorite" new Linnell songs... I would just imagine
it would be of higher quality than "Substitute"

Jordan

Nathan

Apr 22, 2004, 11:47:01 PM4/22/04
"Jordan QUSAK" <hallo...@aol.com> wrote in message

Is it possible that "Unreliable Narrator" never really existed, and Flans
was making some kind of joke (i.e., he was being an unreliable narrator in
answering the question)? Don't get me wrong, I WANT the song to exist. But
doesn't it seem like, if Flans really liked the song that much, it would
have shown up somewhere by this point?
--
Brick is red, and Hitler's dead,
Nathan

Jordan QUSAK

Apr 22, 2004, 11:54:09 PM4/22/04
>>Don't get me wrong, I WANT the song to exist. But doesn't it seem like, if
Flans really liked the song that much, it would
have shown up somewhere by this point?<<

Maybe Linnell didnt like it, I dont know

Maybe Linnell wrote more new songs that Flansburgh liked a lot better

A lot of random stuff happens with song writing and bands and stuff, but yeah,
this is one mythical song Ive always been really curious about

I heard some slightly older British radio interview where Flansburgh was
talking about songs he was starting to write for No! and he said he had
written a new one called "Glug Glug Glug" and he was telling Linnell this, and
Linnell responded by saying in a sort of genuinely interested but not like TOO
interested way "...sounds good"

Jordan

scratch

Apr 23, 2004, 2:06:58 AM4/23/04
Jordan QUSAK wrote:

And I would also imagine that it would be... y'know... written by
Linnell! Substitute is totally without a doubt a Flans song.

-scratch

chris

Apr 23, 2004, 4:18:41 PM4/23/04
>I would just imagine it would be of higher quality than "Substitute"

now, wait just a minute. i love "kids are different now" aka all those
titles. its one song that should have been on an album long ago, like
dr. evil and all those other songs that are on that "What We Did This
Summer" EP or whatever. its short, catchy, and fun. in fact, thinking
about it makes me want to listen to it. so i am. its in the same vein
as "robert lowell". kickin' guitars and sweet vocals and bangin'
drums. totally grudge almost, in a tmbg-esque way.

chris
nixonismyhero

Chris Fabulous

Apr 24, 2004, 1:59:15 PM4/24/04
> now, wait just a minute. i love "kids are different now"

[etc]

>totally grudge almost, in a tmbg-esque way.

I think it sounds like Blink 182. Isn't it part of the thing where
they had the fake band names for every song, and each band was sort of
an interpretation of another band's style? I think they were doing
Blink on that one. I like the tune, though. I don't really Like
"Robert Lowell" that much, though.

Chris F

scratch

Apr 24, 2004, 3:16:41 PM4/24/04

They pretended it was. The second month of that was effectively "stuff
we've already done that doesn't really sound like us". it was
originally a malcolm track.

-scratch

Jordan QUSAK

Apr 24, 2004, 9:37:54 PM4/24/04
They pretended it was. The second month of that was effectively "stuff
we've already done that doesn't really sound like us". it was
originally a malcolm track.>>

yes but the Malcolm track WAS suppossed to sound like Blink 182.

I just think its pretty mediocre, cause its kind of suppossed to be a mediocre
pop punk song... And I dont see how its too short at all

Jordan