Flansburgh, Unsupervised, on IRC - A Transcript

Justin C. Ferguson

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

Here's the transcript of Flans' appearance on Sonicnet.com tonight, for anyone
who's interested.. It's also available in HTML format from my web page at
http://acm.cs.umr.edu/~jferg/ ... Enjoy, everyone... (Warning, it's long..)

JF

--

*** MONOflans (Do...@204.253.180.3) has joined channel #lounge
<Istanbul> I e-mail and call, but get no responce...
<eliza> hello Istanbul!!
<RobNg> EEEEEEE!
<T-Set> YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
<Ruprecht> hi Jonh!
<kismet> Hi MONOflans!
<MONOflans> Hey Everyone. Flansy here
<Ruprecht> d'oh!
<RobNg> JOHN
<Istanbul> The check has been cashed, though...
<etherboy> hey
*** Bonney (BKe...@205.130.63.34) has joined channel #Lounge
<Ruprecht> John
*** jkm (jmu...@205.252.118.162) has joined channel #lounge
<elchavo> hi
<ninja-bob> hey
<SONICMOD> Hey everyone... MONOFlans = JOHN FLANSBURGH... he's here!!
<Matt> howdy, Flannelman
<kismet> Flansy?
<MONOflans> What's up?
<banshee> welcome
<Istanbul> I'll have to sue or something soon...
<eliza> Hey john!!
> Hi, John!
<MONOflans> I need questions
<kismet> Hey, fella.
<banshee> :)
<ninja-bob> howdy
<T-Set> YOU ARE TOTALLY ROCKIN'!
<Bonney> you single?
<MONOflans> Yo
<banshee> how are you?
<Bonney> hee
<MrKlaw> mike sez: Are you bringing MonoPuff to Toronto John??
<Ruprecht> why do you tour with an extra guitarist with both bands now?
<Matt> when's the next set of Monopuff tour dates?
<Istanbul> John: Can we ask TMBG questions?
<ninja-bob> how 'bout ohio? noone ever comes to ohio
<MONOflans> Not to soon to Toronto, but TMBG should be there in the spring
* gmoney thinks pauline is so cool and laughs
<Ruprecht> spring...
<RobNg> Hey isn't there an order?
<MrKlaw> mike sez: Thanks John
<kismet> What's the significance of the crown-shaped ring you wear on your
+right ring finger?
<banshee> i would like to see a cleveland ohio date
<elchavo> john how about MIAMI
<destin> Does Norwood Cheek exist, or did you direct the vid and use it
as a
+clever pseudonym?
*** Signoff: MrDent ((signed off))
<kismet> It's mayhem!
<eliza> Whats it like to be travelling so much?
<T-Set> What about the Midwest?
<ninja-bob> how 'bout columbus ohio? noone ever comes to columbus ohio
<etherboy> Flans, I'm about to die in huricane Bertha and I need to know If
+you wrote spiralling shape for Brain Candy or if it just fit in?
<RobNg> SONICMOD: Kick some as! show some athority!
<Matt> everyonme take a collective breath
<gmoney> does anyone have anything to say
> Yeah.. Kansas City or St. Louis??
<Molly> Order! Order!
<MrKlaw> Mike sez: John who sings the vocals on Totally Rocking?
<kismet> Where are you, dear John?
<SONICMOD> Hey All!... It's going to get really crazy... all of you have
+questions... so if you could let me PRIVATE message you... I'm going to pass
+the MIKE around so that you'll all have a TURN OKAY!
<Istanbul> Why haven't I gotten my Hello?
<kismet> John does, silly.
<MONOflans> Why two guitars? We'll it's louder and kinda more fun, and it
+allows us tohave a fancy guitarist as well as me.
<etherboy> sure sonicmod
<RobNg> Thank you
<Seta> ok
<SONICMOD> PLEASE DO NOT SEND A QUESTION UNTIL ASKED TO... PLEASE....
JOHN IS
+ONLY ONE PERSON!!
<Istanbul> Ya'll cashed the check, but I haven't gotten a thing...
<Ruprecht> so you play rhythm?
*** MrDent (MrD...@204.249.225.252) has joined channel #lounge
<Ruprecht> and the other plays lead?
<MrDent> ARGH MY computer booted me off!!!
<RobNg> Shut up and wait
<Istanbul> Can I sue?
<RobNg> rawr!
<MrDent> is he here?
<ninja-bob> only one person? when did this happen? :)
<MONOflans> Mr. Klaw: I sing the vocals on Devil, although Mike Viola
joins me
+on the choruses and does a very good Axl at the end
<gmoney> mrdent you using mirc32 4.5?
<MrDent> Aparrently
<MrKlaw> John that is amazing, your vocal abilities are astounding.
<MrDent> <gmoney> no not yet
*** Signoff: ninja-bob ((signed off))
<Istanbul> John: I love the go-tee
<gmoney> mrdent- don't it sucks
<Matt> are you planning on getting a keyboardist to do Tryptophane?
<Matt> live?
*** Solipsist (hot...@131.94.128.54) has joined channel #lounge
<MONOflans> I hope you had a chance to see the vid on 120 minutes
<Seta> John: The Devil video ruled!!
<Ruprecht> it was wonderful
*** ninja-bob (chak...@199.183.200.216) has joined channel #lounge
<MrKlaw> Mike sez: No MTV in Canada John.
<MONOflans> Matt: Don't think we'll do that song
<RobNg> This is creepy. The CD is playing and yet he's speaking
* Whizard sighs.. He missed the vid.. :-<
<etherboy> I missed it :(
<MrKlaw> I did see the .AVI clip though
<RobNg> Who played the devil
<Ruprecht> I've never even gotten to see a tmbg video
<etherboy> so did I :)
<MONOflans> Call MTV and tell 'em to play it more.
<SONICMOD> Banshee... please send your question to everyone...
<kismet> You are entirely too sweet-faced to sport Satanic facial hair.
<banshee> hi
<marlowe> hey, any truth to the rumor that you had Larry Davidson as a math
+teacher at LS, John?
<destin> The video was really good... looks like some $$ were spent. :)
<MrKlaw> mike sez: John I have the TMBG video compilation on laserdisc.
<Ruprecht> 1-800 Dial-Mtv
<RobNg> Was it supposed to be one of the ali fro mto serve mankind?
<SONICMOD> Banshee asks...just curious where monopugg the name orignated
+from..and if cleveland will be a date!
*** Signoff: Bonney ((signed off))
<MrDent> <kismet> unfair... Satanism has no flaws you don't posess, and a
+goatee does not signify such either.
<MONOflans> kismet: That facial hair was very uncomfortable, although the
+effect was pretty startling. They didn't recognize me in the
<kismet> Thanks, doll.
<MONOflans> video online session as the guy on the screen.
<etherboy> Good question, who played the devil?
<Istanbul> Flanz: Like, when will I get my Hello?
<Molly> OK, strange question: if you could meet anyone in the world, who
+would it be and what would you say?
<kismet> Did you have to use spirit gum to remove the adhesive?
<Ruprecht> call 1-800-DIAL-MTV weekdays at 5:30 EST
<Solipsist> Sorry to interrupt, but out of curiousity, will Mono Puff be
+coming down to Florida by any chance? Video was great by the way.
*** Bonney (BKe...@205.130.63.34) has joined channel #lounge
<MONOflans> Banshee: The name comes from an experience I had at the John
+Coltrane Church in SF. There was a little girl
<eliza> Where is your favorite city to perform in?
* gmoney slaps MrDent around a bit with a large trout
<destin> I don't think mtv will play a vid that says "Go, go, Satan go!" no
+matter how good it is.
<MONOflans> there with a single puff of hair in a perfect cicle on top of her
+head,and I thought it would be called a Mono Puff
<ninja-bob> didn't they already play it?
<eliza> What does the tour schedule look like?
* MrDent gets bad Monty Python flashbacks
<destin> okay, they won't play it more than once. :)
<Matt> at least ask Monopuff questions sheez
* gmoney tells MONOflans that molly is very attractive
<etherboy> Flans: when is the next newsletter coming out?
<MONOflans> Solipsist: TMBG within 6 mo.s Mono Puff some time next year.
<banshee> are you going to be playing cleveland?? or ohio?
<ninja-bob> okay, where can we get tour dates? the dates on www.tmbg.com are
+over
<Solipsist> monoflans: Thank you; I can't wait.
<MONOflans> etherboy: Newsletter should be out in a month.
*** lenny (df...@194.90.120.122) has joined channel #lounge
<destin> I'll second the Florida question... both TMBG shows I went to were
+cancelled. :(
<MrKlaw> Mike sez: JOHN I have not gotten a newsletter in 2 years!!!!
<gmoney> hey lenny from dennys
<MONOflans> Mono Puff may play in the midwest
<lenny> wow!! what's happening?
<RobNg> Do you remeber every show you do? And will Tmbg or Monopuff ever come
+back to hanover NH?
<lenny> a lot od crowd!!
<kismet> When will we see the superdeluxe version of the Official TMBG
+website?
<Solipsist> Monoflans: You were great when I saw you last with TMBG at the
+Moon in Tallahassee.
<lenny> a lot of crowd!!
<MONOflans> MrKlaw: Call your name in to the info club, we send em out about
+twice a year, a the new ones look great.
<Ruprecht> under that rock...
<lenny> hi gmoney!
<Bonney> ummm..you single?pleeaase answer.
<MrKlaw> What is the number, John?
<etherboy> Flans: we loved u in Charleston, SC please come again, forgive the
+moshers :)
<Istanbul> MOshers suck
<MrDent> Hate to do it, but I gotta baillllll John one quick question, what do
+your parents think?
<isaac> Nearly half the songs on Unsupervised are covers. When you're in
+MONO-MODE do you prefer performance to songwriting?
<lenny> could you please tell what's happening?
<MONOflans> kismet: The site is having the finishing touches put on it right
+now, and that along with the new Dial-A-Song should be up
<MONOflans> in about a month.
<kismet> Thanks for answering.
<gmoney> Monoflans: do you think that you'll be in houston anytime soon?
<lenny> molly? unstuck?
<eliza> Do you ever get the oppurtunity to go out while on tour? If so where/
<Seta> Will u be in Upstate NY soon?
<MONOflans> isaac: I didn't want to use up all my songs, because there is a
+new TMBG record coming out, and in general we don't do
<etherboy> Flans: Wot is your fiance's name?
<Ruprecht> John: has Superfreaksickle been killed? or will it still come out
+some time? and will it be a double album?
<kismet> How would I go about securing an appointment with you (and possibly
+Linnell) to do an interview?
<unstuck> MONOflans - you didn't get marlowe's question about your math
+teacher at LSHS...
<lenny> thank you..
<eliza> Yeah it's hard to good bands to come upstate!!
<MONOflans> a lot of covers in TMBG. Most of the covers on Mono Puff are
+generally unknown, so I thought that would be interesting
<MrKlaw> John, I know you've sent some email to alt.music.tmbg, but just to
+let you know that there is another TMBG mailing list at tmbg...@tmbg.org
<RobNg> Please answer! Will you ever come back to Hanover NH? (there were no
+moshers)
<lenny> well.. see you soon..
*** Signoff: lenny ((signed off))
<PopinFrsh> Will you be doing anything in the west?
<MrKlaw> Please send some messages there too, if you can.
<gmoney> well this is not very fun, sorry
<MONOflans> The person running this wants the chat group to slow down
<gmoney> too many !!!
<MrKlaw> ok
<etherboy> Yes, MrKlaw speaks the truth, we feel left out on the mailing list
+:(
<MONOflans> etherboy: Just put your name on the list again.
<SONICMOD> HEY EVERYONE... JOHN WANTS TO ANSWER ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS...
+please wait until I PRIVATE message you to ASK YOUR QUESTIONS PLEASE...
<gmoney> so molly are you getting tired of me?
<Ruprecht> alright, I;m quiet
<ninja-bob> what are we supposed to do about dial-a-song from the
midwest? How
+about an 800 number?
<Istanbul> Why not msg each other instead of clogging the channel?
<gmoney> flans: are you going to be in houston anytime soon?
> ninja: Call from work... :->
<MrKlaw> mike sez: I hope the next TMBG video comp also comes out on
+laserdisc.
<eliza> What groups do you like musiaclly? Have you been influenced at
all by
+it?
<MONOflans> gmoney: Probably on the big tMBG world tour that starts in Sept.
<Ruprecht> my mtv is fuzzy..
<gmoney> cool i can't wait man
*** Signoff: MrDent ((signed off))
*** Signoff: Istanbul ((signed off))
<Matt> in Don't I have the Right? where did you come up with the line about
+the exploding coffee?
<Molly> Will that even include (can I imagine) Oregon??
<MONOflans> TMBG in Boston Sept. 6, and in St, Louis Sept. 8
<gmoney> Front Row for me flans...hook me up?
<eliza> How long will the tour last? when will you be in NYC?
<RobNg> Pleeease answer! Will you ever come back to the small town of Hanover
+NH? (there were no moshers!)
<banshee> haha gmoney
<MrKlaw> mike sez: We are waiting for you in T.O. John...
<Ruprecht> come on, Michigan
*** Istanbul (jus...@206.25.37.132) has joined channel #lounge
<destin> They ALWAYS play NYC. Don't worry...
<MONOflans> Matt: That came from watching some French film where they
actually
+have this extreme close up of milk going into a cup
> Woohoo! St. Louis! :->
<eliza> good!
*** Iceman (jhen...@204.203.80.4) has joined channel #Lounge
<MONOflans> of coffee, and of course from my personal experience
<gmoney> flans: you want to come to my house and play for my birthday?
<Istanbul> I got booted for doing a WHOIS
<banshee> all tmbg shows i have been to have been excellandt MONOflans! :)
<Matt> ah yes I still have my TMBG coffee from Johns Hopkins
<MONOflans> TMBG are in DC in the middle of August, and probably at the
+Mercury in NYC and the Jersey shore right around then to
*** Solipsist has left channel #lounge
*** crass (cr...@208.194.199.21) has joined channel #lounge
<ninja-bob> is there a title for the new tmbg album yet?
<Istanbul> Matt: Are you the lister from MD with the Woolworth's sig?
<MONOflans> ninja-bob: Now it's called "Factory Showroom".
<MrKlaw> gotta love matt
*** Mentos (hot...@131.94.128.54) has joined channel #lounge
<destin> MONOflans: Florida's really nice in the fall... please come (and
+don't get sick)... :)
<Seta> hi mentos
<Istanbul> Matt: Kool. I used to live in MD.
<PopinFrsh> Will spiralling shape be on the new tmbg album?
<Ruprecht> I'm "a spooky man named Ike"
<crass> what's up
<Matt> Do you ever considering bringing Joshua Fried along for such songs as
+Hello Hello that he remixes
<RobNg> I'm the guy with no sig
<MrKlaw> Mike sez: Klaw and I think the new album should be called "Empty
+Parking Garage."
<MONOflans> PopinFrsh: Yes
*** Iceman has left channel #Lounge
<gmoney> MONOfalns: you want to come to my house and play for my birthday?
<MONOflans> gmoney: yes
<gmoney> ALRIIIIIGHTY THEN!!!
<Molly> MONOflans: any plans to come to Oregon?
<etherboy> Flans: Wot is your fiance's name?
<RobNg> For the 4th time...... Will you ever come anywhere in NH again (last
+time, no moshers!)
<gmoney> hehehehe--Molly
<banshee> concert at gmoney's!
<Istanbul> When do I get my turn???!!!
<kismet> Mine, too? (But my pad is smaller'n a bread box.)
<MONOflans> Also, people, I will answer questions posted on the Mono Puff
+message board on the SpinOnLine thing
<Seta> Flans can u stop by my house for my birthday, since u'll be by that
+way?
<Ruprecht> I will have to post some...
<etherboy> Yeah, party with seta :)
<isaac> Will you ever play tallahassee again?
<gmoney> ya, everyone will have to stay home!! heheh :6)
*SONICMOD* Whizard YOUR TURN.....
<Matt> Are there going to be any other singles off the Monopuff album?
<MrKlaw> Are there any new albums in the works for Mono Puff?
<gmoney> Molly- you'll have to come to my house!! :)
<Molly> Guess so, G!
<SONICMOD> Matt & Mr. Klaw... please wait your turns....
<MONOflans> Isaac: Yes, the Florida cancelled shows were do to some big
+problem I don't remember. We rarely cancel shows.
<ninja-bob> just a thought: RealAudio Dial-A-Song
<MrKlaw> ok
> Flans: Still planning on playing pointfest in st. louis in Aug? And is
Mono
+Puff an attempt to go more mainstream than TMBG?
<kismet> Actually, on my birthday (3/14, Mercury Lounge), you told me to move
+my birthday out of the way so that other birthdays could get through. Then
+you fellows broke into "Older," or whatever it's called.
<gmoney> sounds good to me..just forget trip to London and fly to my
+house...heeheheheeh
<gmoney> :)
<Matt> pl
<Matt> ok
<destin> MONOflans: Is Norwood Cheek a real person, or a pseudonym?
<MONOflans> We should probably cancel more considering how messed up they can
+be when we're sick with the flu or something.
<eliza> Do you see yourself like so many other bands changing your sound down
+the road to sell more music?
<Ruprecht> How do you choose which songs you will do with Mono Puff and which
+ones with TMBG?
<SONICMOD> Whizard: Flans: Still planning on playing pointfest in st.
louis in
+Aug? And is
<SONICMOD> Mono Puff an attempt to go more mainstream than TMBG?
<SONICMOD> kismet: Actually, on my birthday (3/14, Mercury Lounge), you told
+me to move my
<SONICMOD> birthday out of the way so that other birthdays could get
through.
+Then you fel
<SONICMOD> lows broke into "Older," or whatever it's called.
<SONICMOD> gmoney: sounds good to me..just forget trip to London and fly
to my
+house...heeh
<SONICMOD> eheheeh
<SONICMOD> Whizard: Flans: Still planning on playing pointfest in st.
louis in
+Aug? And is
<SONICMOD> Mono Puff an attempt to go more mainstream than TMBG?
<SONICMOD> kismet: Actually, on my birthday (3/14, Mercury Lounge), you told
+me to move my
<SONICMOD> birthday out of the way so that other birthdays could get
through.
+Then you fel
<destin> We don't care if you mess up.
*** Signoff: SONICMOD ((signed off))
<Mentos> Monoflans: Um, in reference to TMBG, will a new B-Sides compilation
+be coming out anytime soon?
+Then you fel
<destin> We don't care if you mess up.
*** Signoff: SONICMOD ((signed off))
<Mentos> Monoflans: Um, in reference to TMBG, will a new B-Sides compilation
+be coming out anytime soon?
<Istanbul> Go Sonicmod!
<MONOflans> Whizard: Pointfest is now Sept 8
*** BuGs (te...@204.253.180.11) has joined channel #lounge
*** BuGs (te...@204.253.180.11) has joined channel #lounge
<etherboy> Flans: Wot is your fiance's name? The E-mailing list is dying to
+know :)
<gmoney> molly- you'll have to forget about trip to london and come down here
+instead heheehehehehe
<MONOflans> Superfueled Freakcicle will be out next year although I don't
know
+if that's what it will be called
<RobNg> You won't answer my question.............. *sniff*
> MONOFlans: Cool... :->
*** BuGs has left channel #lounge
<MrKlaw> rob chin up pal
<MONOflans> but it will have a lot of the better ep songs, a lot of new
+tracks, and some live tracks
*** SONICMOD (te...@204.253.180.11) has joined channel #lounge
*** Molly has left channel #lounge
<MrKlaw> coo!l
<Matt> does Hal Cragin play trombone or will Dan Levine continue to play
that?
<banshee> well i need to split now.....thanks MONOflans for
chatting....thanks
+for answering my question...take care now!
<Mentos> Will Superfueled Freakcicle or whatever contain every track off of
+every single since Flood?
<MONOflans> RobNg: question?
<eliza> Bye Banshee!
<Ruprecht> MonoFlans: how do you choose what songs you will do with tmbg and
+what you will do wwith Mono Puff?
<etherboy> YAY! Freaksicle is coming out! :)
<MrKlaw> rob ask it dammit!!
<banshee> bye all! have a good evening!! :)
<RobNg> Thank you. Will either monopuff or TMBG ever come back to NH? it's
+been 4 years!
<eliza> Does your line-up of songs change daily while your on tour?
<destin> MONOflans: Will Live in NY tracks be on Superfueled, or will that
+ever be released officially?
<MONOflans> Matt: Dan was great on the tour and, like the horn players we
+toured with in TMBG, really brought a cool extra dimension to the show with
+his horn playing
<ninja-bob> who on the tmbg list thought tmbg should play Obladi-Oblada by the
+beatles?
<MONOflans> Matt: If we could afford to keep him and Hal on board we will
*** banshee has left channel #Lounge
*** Signoff: crass ((signed off))
<Seta> Flans: will you be in upstate NY with Mono Puff or TMBG, and can u go
+see my homepage? =)
*** gmoney has left channel #Lounge
<kismet> I'll gladly make a modest donation, if need be. C'mon, gang! Let's
+put on a show!
*** elchavo has left channel #lounge
<MrKlaw> mike sez: Canadians are nice, John. We miss you.
<Ruprecht> I made a big page for tmbg...
<MrKlaw> Rup's page is amazing
<etherboy> It is a nice one
<MONOflans> RobNg: It's hard to get to NH because the cities aren't really
+close together. We have similar problems in the far West.
<Ruprecht> and I have a paper scissors rock game online...
<kismet> Where might one find this page?
<eliza> Have you always had a musical interest? What did it start with?
<Ruprecht> it would look nice if you have to use aol...
<Ruprecht> http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/
<kismet> Thanks, Ruprecht.
<Ruprecht> no problem...
<Istanbul> When do I get my turn?
<destin> How about a Monopuff/TMBG megatour?
<Ruprecht> yeah!
<MONOflans> eliza: I've always been into music, and oddly, really into tape
+recording.
<Matt> are there any more plans for Dr. Kildaire/ska style songs? it seems
+Unsupervised was an eclectic mixture of different styles
<MrKlaw> John, will the next tmbg video comp be on laserdisc? I have the first
+one on LD. Also, will Mono Puff continue into the future or will it end as
+soon as the tmbg tour gears up?
<eliza> I guess we have to all be patient it's really hard to answer all these
+questtions at once!!
<Ruprecht> do you think?
<Seta> John, does Mono Puff have a Fan Club yet?
<MONOflans> I think it was really tape recording that got me into music as a
+child. I bought a 3" reel to reel with birthday money when I was 10.
*** Panamakid (GC10...@199.93.162.136) has joined channel #lounge
<eliza> What do you see for MONOPUFF john?
<SONICMOD> <Istanbul>: What is the name of the next TMBG album? And will
y'all
+ever come to Texas?
<ninja-bob> i have one of those in my basement
<T-Set> What was on it?
<T-Set> What was on it?
<Ruprecht> If I make a Mono Puff Home Page will you look at it John?
<kismet> You must have been a beautiful baby!
<MONOflans> Seta: Right now it is pretty much working out of the TMBG set up,
+but we hope to begin building our corperate headquarters within the decade
<Seta> cool :)
<eliza> I meant in the Future For MONOPUFF!!
<Matt> MonoFlans: Do you see Monopuff as an eclectic mixture of styles of
+music?
<MrKlaw> mike sez: John why is Linnell so shy?
<kismet> Wow, what a businessman!
<MONOflans> Ruprecht: We don't have a home page yet, but if anyone wants to
+help put one together they should contact me through the SpinOnLine message
+board
<etherboy> Yeah I wish linnell would talk too B-)
<Ruprecht> Okay!
<SONICMOD> EVERYONE PLEASE BE PATIENT... I'm TRYING TO get you all in TURN!!
<etherboy> Yeah let Rup do it
<Ruprecht> I'm gonna start Making it today!
<MrKlaw> rup now has a reason to live
<MONOflans> Ruprect: TMBGs thing cost a bunch of dough to put up, and Mono
+Puff isn't that profitable yet
<Ruprecht> sound clips and stuff
<Mentos> Monoflans: Do you know, will John Linnell release his State Songs or
+House of Mayors to the general public. I'm sorry that this question is not
+about you.
<Ruprecht> I don't expect Money
<MONOflans> Mentos: Nice name
* Whizard would love to work on a MonoPuff page too...
<Mentos> Thank you.
<eliza> The Fresh Maker!!
<MrKlaw> Never had a Mentos.
<isaac> Mentos: Der Frischmacher!
<Matt> they're damn good
*** gmoney (gkis...@206.29.116.96) has joined channel #Lounge
<Ruprecht> I will be making the Mono Puff Site free of charge
<Istanbul> Flans won't answer my question... );
*** gmoney has left channel #Lounge
<MONOflans> Mentos: Linnell will be working on the House of Mayors project
+this summer for Hello. It should be out in the fall. We just got finished
+with the new TMBG album
<ninja-bob> i killed someone once, but i had mentos so it was okay :)
<kismet> They have animal byproducts in them, though.
<MONOflans> Istanbul: Question?
<Mentos> Wonderful!
<MrKlaw> Mmm...animal byproducts...
<eliza> Well maybe you should try one the people on those commercials seem
+pretty happy!!
<MONOflans> Istanbul: Texas- soon.
<etherboy> Flans: I saw a band on Conan O'Brien called The Mavericks that I
+think u would like B-)
<MONOflans> I love Austin
<Istanbul> COOL!
<Matt> Buddy Holly i from LUbbock
<MONOflans> The guy in the Mavericks can remind me of Roy Orbison, who I
+totally dig
<kismet> Wow, thanks! I'll keep that in mind for my next Foo Fighters
show...
<etherboy> cool
<eliza> Please lets not talk about animals here like this ..... I'm Vegan!!!
<Ruprecht> Do you think TMBG will be on Conan soon?
<Seta> John will u be in Ithaca ever again ?
<Matt> MonoFlans: Is Monopuff viewed as an eclectic type of band with many
+varhging styles?
<MONOflans> Ruprect: If they invite us
<kismet> Alright, eliza!
<MrKlaw> Roy Orbison is supercool!
<Ruprecht> does conan have an e-mail address?
<eliza> Thanks!!!
<Ruprecht> anybody?
<kismet> Go to the NBC homepage.
*** Nemo (Ne...@206.250.113.117) has joined channel #lounge
<Istanbul> Rup: Check the NBC site
<RobNg> let's petiton Conan
<Ruprecht> of course...
<Nemo> what's up freaks?
<RobNg> I'm goin now!
<ninja-bob> does nbc website have the email addresses?
<eliza> Do you guys have a website to be reached at?
<MrKlaw> mike sez: 25 O'Clock was the best song on the XTC tribute album
<Seta> bye rob
<Seta> :)
<Ruprecht> yeah
<MrKlaw> bye rob
<Ruprecht> bye Rob
<RobNg> I'm not leavin
<Ruprecht> hahah
<MrKlaw> hmm...ok
<Seta> oh okie
<kismet> Probably, but I am not 100% positive.
<Istanbul> Flans: When will I get my Hello?
<MONOflans> Matt: Yes, although my original intention was to get back to more
+electronic stuff with it, and then it turned into this twin-guitar thing with
+Mike Viola of the Candy Butchers (new album out this fall from Mike's
+band-plug)
<RobNg> I'm gonna do both!
<eliza> ROBBY WHERE ARE YOU GOING??!!
*** Signoff: etherboy ((signed off))
<kismet> Where was Mike at the Mercury Lounge shows?
*** NONE (NO...@206.161.186.62) has joined channel #lounge
<Seta> hi none
<Matt> I saw the Candy Butchers album for $7.99 but didn't have the bucks,
+wish I did!
<Nemo> where
<Nemo> where's monopuff?????
<Matt> Ruprecht you poor soul
<Matt> ;)
<kismet> The Candy Butchers cuss (as we say Out West) too much onstage.
sniff
<NONE> hello
*** gmoney (gkis...@206.29.116.96) has joined channel #Lounge
<PopinFrsh> Why did you decide to get that ultra cool rectangular guitar?
<Ruprecht> hello Non
*** gmoney has left channel #Lounge
<Ruprecht> None
<NONE> how do you get a name?
<Istanbul> Hello cashed the check 2 mos. ago but I haven't gotten a
thing, and
+they won't answer my mail, e-mail, or messages on the machine.
* Whizard expects no pay either if he can help... :->
<MONOflans> Istanbul: Hello is a very funky organization and you have to go
+with the general vibe. Trust that we always feel bad about our lack of
+organization, and that complaints hurt more than you'll ever know. We love
+each and every member, and we are always sorry.
<eliza> Who do you think has been the most influential artist or
individual
+with your music?
<Seta> John, where'd u get the idea for the album cover for Mono Puff?
<ninja-bob> is the sticker that came with the devil ep waterproof??
<kismet> You are sweet, John Boy.
<eliza> Great sticker!
<NONE> Why is Dial A Song at your house and not Linnells?
<Nemo> MONO: do you like Eskimo? (band)
<MONOflans> PopinFrsh: I had it built to my personal spec by my friend Chris
+Cush. It was originally designed to fit in a guitar case but be as
square as
+possible
<SONICMOD> Seta: John, where'd u get the idea for the album cover for Mono
+Puff?
<Istanbul> Sorry I hurt you with my complaint... (;
*** etherboy (fra...@206.31.147.10) has joined channel #lounge
<ninja-bob> why no lyrics in the unsupervised booklet?
<Ruprecht> I got to for a minute...
<NONE> How'd you get to work with Elina Lowensohn?
*** Signoff: marlowe ((signed off))
<Ruprecht> I'll be back
*** Signoff: Ruprecht ((signed off))
<etherboy> Flans: Wot is your fiance's name?
<eliza> Sonic mod: why are all of questions going through you?
<MONOflans> Seta: We were thinking of a bubbly kinda look, and Babs, the
+designer hooked it up on her computer. The photos were
<kismet> You've really got to stop asking him that, etherboy.
<MrKlaw> mike sez: John I live in Canada. Mono Puff will never ever come here
+in a milliion billion years. Don't you think I oughta get something
special?
<NONE> Sorry, but how do you get a screen name for the room?
<MONOflans> taken in the basement and outside the Mercury Lounge during TMBG's
+stand there. The letters I bought in a junk store
<Seta> cool :)
<eliza> Yeah how many of you are single?
<MONOflans> MrKlaw: Yes.
<isaac> In the Liner notes for Unsupervised, it says the musik for Dr. Kildare
+is unknown - where did it come from? It sounds like a ska standard.
<MrKlaw> Thanks, John.
*** irc (klsc...@148.85.1.54) has joined channel #lounge
<Istanbul> eliza: ?Por Que?
<Nemo> flans: do you like eskimo? do you remember playing with them?
*** rmachint (rmac...@131.229.64.1) has joined channel #lounge
*** Chummy (chu...@204.191.64.8) has joined channel #Lounge
<destin> I should get something special cos TMBG cancelled both shows I tried
+to see and nobody comes to FL. *snif*
*** rmachint has left channel #lounge
<eliza> Por Que?
*** Signoff: NONE ((signed off))
* Whizard thinks that this is "Totally Rockin'"... :->
<kismet> Good comeback.
<Istanbul> Flans: When will the new TMBG album come out? And shouldn't the
+name be out soon?
<eliza> Parle vous francais?
<kismet> Ibid.
<MrKlaw> pay attention istanbul
<MONOflans> issac: I think it is actually the theme from the tv show, but I
+only know it from this ska album that said "unkonwn" on the credits. The
guys
+at NPR all broke into the lyric from the original, which was a hit for the
+made for tv movie guy that starred in it
<MONOflans> The guy who lives in Hawaii
*** Ruprecht (Rupr...@35.9.14.102) has joined channel #lounge
<eliza> Istanbul has a very short attention span!
> Flans: How does John L. feel about Mono Puff? Any comment?
<MrKlaw> mike sez: John do you like the 70's cop show Streets of San
+Francisco?
<Istanbul> Hey now!
<RobNg> Ok two things. 1. the head writer of another world is on NBC tonight
+at nine joy! heh 2. the email for conan is "late...@nbc.com"
<T-Set> I know we shouldn't be asking about TMBG, but is "I Palindrome I"
+about YOUR mother?
<etherboy> Flans: Wot will the first single be off the new TMBG album?
<Ruprecht> klaw, what did I miss?
<Nemo> flans: check out the record Mr. Banjo is you don't have it already
*** unstuck has left channel #lounge
*** Signoff: Matt ((signed off))
<Nemo> do you know mr. banjo? it is a very great record on verve
<MONOflans> Istanbul: The middle of Sept. "Factory Showroom" thirteen big,
+long songs including S-E-X-X-Y, Your Own Worst Enemy, How Can I Sing Like A
+Girl? and XTC Vs Adam Ant
<MONOflans> T-Set: Absolutely not.
<Ruprecht> damn
*** Matt (elr...@198.69.36.254) has joined channel #lounge
<Istanbul> Kickin'!!!
<MrKlaw> Only 13 songs?Hmm...
<Matt> ack
<eliza> Hey Ruprecht! Where did you come up with that name??
<Ruprecht> I'll get a transcript?
<kismet> Also, lend an ear to "Robert Mitchum: calypso--is so..."
<MONOflans> etherboy: Maybe How Can I sing like a Girl?
<T-Set> Man, I am relieved!! Who's it about?
<Ruprecht> Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
<Ruprecht> with steve Martin
*** Chummy has left channel #Lounge
<irc> I saw the new video from Monopuff on 120 minutes and it was really
+awesome.
<MONOflans> MrKlaw: It's 45 minutes long, which up until John Henry was the
+standard of how many songs we wanted to put on.
<Seta> yea it was :)
<isaac> Kildare is a neat song. Have you ever tried writing a blue-beat song?
-> *Ruprecht* I can throw the transcript at you soon as it's over... :->
<Mentos> Monoflans: Yes, just out of my own fanatic curiousity, what bands do
+you dig nowadays?
<MrKlaw> ok John
<MONOflans> Nemo: Yes, I also had Discomo
<eliza> How long do you normally play at a show? How many songs, and does it
+change according to the mood your in ?
<Nemo> Discomo? what's that...i don't know that...
<Ruprecht> has TMBG finished recording?
<irc> Are TMBG coming out with a new album soon?
<MONOflans> Mentos: Magnetic Fields, Sly and the Family Stone
<etherboy> Isn't Diskomo a Residents song?
<Mentos> Monoflans: I'll have to check them out.
<Matt> how do you feel about Monopuff/TMBG bootlegs John?
*** Tmbg345 (Tmb...@206.161.186.62) has joined channel #lounge
<kismet> irc: yes, in the fall, I believe.
<MONOflans> irc: Sept: Factory Showroom. 13 too long songs
<MrKlaw> good questionmatt
<RobNg> But could you come back to Hanover NH? The college students have all
+forgotten you guys
<MONOflans> etherboy: Yes
<Istanbul> Flans: Why doesn't Linnel do any interviews?
<Tmbg345> Linnell did that MUsic and Comp. interview
<ninja-bob> i thought unsupervised was way too short.
<MONOflans> elisa: Mono Puff's show was about 60 minutes which was every song
+we knew how to play
> MONOFlans: What does John L. think about MonoPuff?
<eliza> How long does it take for you to record an album? And do you like
some
+other bands all live together in one place while doing this?
<Istanbul> ninja: Quality, not quantity! (:
<Mentos> Monoflans: And how do you feel about the Canadian boys, the
+Barenaked Ladies. They are compared to you left and right.
<irc> John, I really like you and the other John. You guys were awesome in
+Northampton this year
<SONICMOD> Matt: how do you feel about Monopuff/TMBG bootlegs John?
<MONOflans> elisa: TMBG it goes up to about 1 hr 45, but after that we hit
+critical mass and everything sounds the same
<irc> My friends and I left you a note on your car. But I doubt you got it.
<eliza> Do you meet and greet after your shows??
<Seta> John, the booklet for Unsupervised was way cool, but how come u didn't
+put all the lyrics in?
*** Signoff: Ruprecht ((signed off))
<MrKlaw> John you nearly ran me down in Elizabethtown in April. I'm OK :)
<Istanbul> Bootlegs go me into TMBG... (:
<kismet> You referred to your hair as having "hit critical mass" at Mercury
+Lounge a few weeks ago.
<irc> And I met you two years ago at Suffolk Community College.
<MONOflans> Matt: I am flattered, and would gladly give people the DATs just
+so they were of better quality, but they won't return my lawyers calls
<ninja-bob> doh, now that i can ask, i cant think of a question
<kismet> Have you cut it yet?
<MONOflans> MrKlaw: rock on
<irc> You guys played at Amherst COllege before I got there, can you play
+there again?
<Matt> yeah the DC show was not quite DAT quality ;)
<MONOflans> irc: call you concert people. We love those shows
<eliza> What about the website?? Does it currently exist? or is it in the
+works??
*** ElChavo (MrK...@206.142.161.46) has joined channel #lounge
*** Signoff: Panamakid ((signed off))
*** Ruprecht1 (Rupr...@35.9.14.37) has joined channel #lounge
<MONOflans> eliza: yes, look for it in about a month
<Tmbg345> Will "Maybe I KKnow" be on the new album?
<Ruprecht1> I'm bacl
<irc> I play TMBG on my radio show all the time. My fans love it!
<Ruprecht1> back
<etherboy> Flans: Did u say the new album will have only 13 songs, why so
few?
+:(
<MrKlaw> hi rup
<kismet> John, what's the next video you'll be directing? Also, are you
+interested in directing a short or feature-length film?
<SONICMOD> Istanbul> Who will we see from Hello next year?
<Ruprecht1> did he answer my questions?
<eliza> thanks sorry you just answered my question!!
<RobNg> Oooooo good one kismet
<Tmbg345> Soul Coughing! I see them in 2 days!
<kismet> Thank ya kindly, RobNg.
<MONOflans> Tmbg345: We did a version of it at the Edison Museum that was
+recorded on a wax cylindar (sp.?) from the turn of the century. It
didn't use
+electricity and soulnd wild
<ninja-bob> why werent some of the songs on the devil ep included on the
+album?
<Ruprecht1> apparently ruprecht is taken
<Istanbul> TMBG should do movies like the Beatles did
<T-Set> Anymore vids from Mono Puff coming up? How about "Nixon's the One"?
+:)
<SONICMOD> Istanbul> to <SONICMOD>: Who will we see from Hello next
year?
<MrKlaw> mike sez: John I am a film school graduate. Can I make some videos
+for you (or at least watch as they are made?)
> John: What was the last concert, other than one of yours, you went to??
<eliza> What is your favorite get away when your done with months of touring?
<kismet> Soul Coughing is great, and M Doughty, the "singer," is cool and
+quite approachable (poor guy).
<irc> John, I loved the video you did two years ago, you introduced it on 120
+min. I guess you are a multitalented guy.
<MONOflans> We are going to put on of thoise songs on the album, but it will
+probably be a song we wrote for the occasion called "I Can Hear You" which is
+about speakers that make noise.
<SONICMOD> Istanbul> to <SONICMOD>: Who will we see from Hello next
year?
<MONOflans> Maybe we'll make a Edison ep for the Info club mail porder
<Istanbul> Sonicmod is messed up!!!!
<RobNg> No kidding
<kismet> I've seen them twice, and M Doughty once, doing a reading and an
+acoustic performance. Both smashing.
*** gmoney (gkis...@206.29.116.96) has joined channel #Lounge
<Tmbg345> Do you find the many deep interperations to you songs annoying??
*** Signoff: gmoney ((signed off))
<MrKlaw> I thought there was going to be an Edison EP no matter what.
<eliza> Do you have any songs that you would like to release that didn't make
+it on the album?
<RobNg> is the hello number 1800-48-hello?
<Tmbg345> Alright!
<MONOflans> Istanbul: Probably another Mono Puff ep, but beyond that I don't
+know
<Ruprecht1> hello 41
<SONICMOD> YEAH... I'm trying to make up for the screen scrolling cuz all y
+guys have MAD questions for JOHN... PLEASE SLOW DOWN!!!
<etherboy> 1-800-41-hello
<MrKlaw> 1-800-HELLO-41, guys
<kismet> Wow, like that interp of "End of the Tour," the one about the car
+accident. Mm mm.
<ninja-bob> what'll happen to felt tip pen?
<MONOflans> Hello is 1800 HELLO 41, that is for free catolog and orders
<Ruprecht1> 1 800 hello 41
<SONICMOD> Istanbul asks ->What ever happened to the TMBG newsletter?
<etherboy> oh
<irc> John, I heard a rumor that you are married, is that true?
*** Signoff: Matt ((signed off))
<Ruprecht1> engaged
<MONOflans> ninja-bob: It will probably be on the ep, and the next MP lp
<Istanbul> I heard you were getting wed the 14th
<eliza> Hey What happened to Mentos! Did someone eat him?!
<MONOflans> personal
<Tmbg345> Felt Tip Pen is truly rockin'
<isaac> <burp> not me.
<Mentos> I'm right here, and feeling fresh and minty too.
*** Panamakid (GC10...@199.93.162.136) has joined channel #Lounge
*** ninja-bob (chak...@199.183.200.216) has joined channel #lounge
<MONOflans> Istanbul: we just about to put one out. Send your address in and
+make sure to get one
<Ruprecht1> I ate some mentos yesterday
<irc> Are you going to continue to tour with Monopuff, or are you going to
+stay with TMBG?
<RobNg> John: But it says it's full and I want to be a part of it!
<Ruprecht1> assorted fruit
<Seta> my 'puter just did something way weird...
<eliza> What's personal MONOPUFF, it's hard to tell which questions your
+answering
<irc> Are you going to stay with TMBG after the new album comes out?
<destin> MONOflans: are you going to do any more live internet concerts? Why
+was the first one cut off?
<Tmbg345> So, how does everyone feel on the Van Halen/David Lee Roth thing??
*** Matt1 (elr...@198.69.36.254) has joined channel #lounge
<Mentos> Monoflans: How do you feel about the Barenaked Ladies? Are the
+comparisons to TMBG valid in your eyes?
<Matt1> double ack
<Istanbul> I sent my adress in 20 zillion times, with no responce
<kismet> eliza: Whether he'll be jumping the broom on the 14th.
> Flans: What was the last concert, besides one of yours, that you went to?
<irc> Where did you get the name Monopuff?
<eliza> Hey theres mentos!!
<MONOflans> irc: I will always rock on with TMBG. I look forward to being so
+old that at the gigs no one will expect me to stand up
<SONICMOD> Mentos: Monoflans: How do you feel about the Barenaked Ladies?
+Are the comparisons to TMBG valid in your eyes?
<Matt1> haha
*** MrKlaw1 (MrK...@130.63.219.59) has joined channel #lounge
<ninja-bob> for those of you tuning in late, some of these questions have
been
+answered already.
<kismet> John, hopefully no one will keep moving your chair when you need to
+sit down...
<Tmbg345> you mean the Van Halen one??
<MrKlaw1> we are back, got bounced, added a 1 to our name
<irc> You are from Northampton, right? Are you going to do a concert there
+anytime soon.
<eliza> Do you find that a lot of people bother you out in public or can you
+pretty much go anywhere you want?
<Mentos> I prefer David Lee Roth. He gets a plus for showmanship.
<MONOflans> Mentos: I think they are a pretty "tight" sounding group. I dig
+their acoustic thing, but I don't have any records by them. I heard them on
+the radio in Canada a couple of years ago. They sounded good.
<Tmbg345> Did you like the intimate crowds at teh Mono Puff shows?
<SONICMOD> irc: You are from Northampton, right? Are you going to do a concert
+there anytime soon.
<eliza> David Lee Roth???
<Tmbg345> Hagar is pretty lame!
<kismet> I saw John Linnell once on the Upper West Side in a drugstore after
+the Elvis Costello show. I was polite and didn't bother him.
<irc> I go to Amherst COllege
<Mentos> Monoflans: Thank you for answering my questions. You sure are
+swell.
<etherboy> Flans: You should do another tour with pere ubu! My two fav bands!
<MrKlaw1> John did you SEE Mighty Morphin Power Rangers? What a piece of crap
<MONOflans> Mentos: I love David Lee Roth. I want to be his manager, and
+convince him to wear wigs and really go for it again
<ninja-bob> is someone catching all this to post to the list/newsgroup?
<MONOflans> Enough o fhtis short hair
*** Harlequin (part...@206.106.146.203) has joined channel #Lounge
<MrKlaw1> We went to see it just to hear Sensurround
* Istanbul will post this to the list
<eliza> Yeah it must be different playing for a small venue, is that what you
+prefer?
<kismet> Doesn't Dave suffer from MPB?
<Matt1> what other instruments besides guitar do you plan John?
<MONOflans> MrKlaw 1: We just recorded a song. I don't see very much childrens
+programming
*** Signoff: MrKlaw ((signed off))
<MrKlaw1> ok john well stay away
<Ruprecht1> I'm sad that two seconds of sensuround was in power rangers
<SONICMOD> RobNg: Flans: How close will you ever get to NH?
<MrKlaw1> from the movie
<Mentos> Monoflans: Hah! Under your tutelage John, Roth could truly be all
+he could be.
<Tmbg345> They should make a sequel to that "Hot For Teacher" video...directed
+by mr Flans
<MONOflans> Matt 1: I do a lot of stuff electronically
<destin> Did you record anything else at the same time as Sensurround that
+hasn't been released?
<Matt1> I did the synths
<Matt1> dig that is
<kismet> "Just a Gigolo" could be restored to its original splendor with John
+on board.
<MONOflans> I would love to do a Van Halen Mk 3 ideo
<RobNg> Acctually it was more like three
<Istanbul> Flans: Did y'all have anything to do with the Tiny Toons thing?
<eliza> What instrument was your first John?
<Tmbg345> Will the version of James K Polk on the new one be the same as the
+b-side?
<ninja-bob> IMHO going to a bad movie just to hear 2 seconds of a song isnt
+worth it.
<Harlequin> Flans: Are all the new songs you've been performing live recently
+destined for the TMBG album, or will some get stuck as B-sides?
<MONOflans> I am doing a video for the group Soul Coughing right now.
<Tmbg345> For what song?
<eliza> What about the b-sides?
<MONOflans> I am editing it tonight. You should all check them out. They are
+great
<etherboy> I'm sad that only 2 seconds of spiralling shape was on Brain Candy
+:(
<Matt1> who'll teach me drama?
<Istanbul> Soul Coughing? Cool!
<Ruprecht1> I heard that you guys were kinda mad with the final result of tiny
+toons
<SONICMOD> Tmbg345: Will the version of James K Polk on the new one be the
+same as the b-side?
<Istanbul> I only ever heard one JKPolk...
<kismet> Didn't Soul Coughing's drummer do some work on "Unsupervised"?
<MONOflans> Harliquin: Good question. Some songs I love, like Rat Patrol and
+Counterfeit Faker won't be on the new lp
*** Signoff: Panamakid ((signed off))
<irc> How did you get to do a song for Brain Candy? Are you a fan of KITH?
*** ElChavo has left channel #lounge
<RobNg> Flans: How close will you ever get to NH?
<MrKlaw1> Mike sez: John I used the song Mr.Klaw in a student film I made. Do
+you want to see it??
<eliza> Hey John are you getting tired yet??
<Harlequin> Will RP and CF end up B-sides or die entirely?
<Seta> John i heard Snail Shell on MTV's Real World last night :)
<RobNg> On RW5?
<kismet> Gee, there goes the neighborhood.
<etherboy> I saw that episode seta
<MONOflans> kismet: Yes, I di a very interesting sampling session with him,
+where he just played beats we talked about
<Seta> the England one
<SONICMOD> Tmbg345: Will the version of James K Polk on the new one be the
+same as the b-side?
<Istanbul> They used Snail Shell on Beach House alot
<Mentos> Monoflans: I have to go feed my dog. I'd just like to say that
+you've proven yourself to be a great performer and a decent guy. Before I go
+though, can you say "Manny Donio is my favorite regular guy"?
<MONOflans> Seta: our stuff is played incidentally a lot on MTV
<RobNg> The used it on sandblast too
<RobNg> not really
<kismet> Thanks, John. He's cool, but I love the Skeleton Key drummer! He's
+always smiling, and I swear his neck is a rubberband!
<Tmbg345> What about the "Devil Went to Georgia"?
<Harlequin> The Edison Museums stuff will be B-sides, right?
<MONOflans> Tmbg345: Now it is new new new and improved
<RobNg> I mean ir's not really always on
<RobNg> it
<Tmbg345> alright! Like the live faster version?
<MONOflans> kismet: he's super cool
<Harlequin> Wait---James K Polk is on the new album?
<destin> I've heard Snail Shell and Ana NG on MTV.. they used a bit of the
+Snail Shell vid in a promo once.
<kismet> And super limber.
<SONICMOD> Mentos: Monoflans: I have to go feed my dog. I'd just like
to say
+that you've proven yourself to be a great performer and a decent guy.
Before
+I go though, can you say "Manny Donio is my favorite regular guy"?
*** JuliAnn (Jul...@169.207.8.121) has joined channel #lounge
<Harlequin> Not the same as the Edison museum version, right?
<eliza> How do you feel about MTV? and how it's changed over the years?
<Istanbul> I want a new, faster, Birdhouse!
<MONOflans> Tmbg345: I don't know if it's faster, just new new new
<MONOflans> Istanbul: You and our manager!
<Ruprecht1> Will freaksickle be new versions of those songs?
> MONOFlans: Have you any intention of releasing a concert-style version of
+Why Does The Sun Shine on anything other than Live in NY??
<RobNg> Why is birdhouse sung faster and higher in concerts?
<Tmbg345> i wrote a History report using that song, and got a B. So thanks.
<Matt1> is your manager Jamie still looking for people to work for
+TMBmanagement?
<kismet> John, do you have any interest in directing a short- or
+feature-length film at some point?
<Tmbg345> Where is Mario now??
<MONOflans> eliza: I feel the same. I love it unconditionally
<isaac> I credit James K Polk with my 4 on the AP American History Exam.
<SONICMOD> Mentos: Monoflans: I have to go feed my dog. I'd just like to say
+that you've proven yourself to be a great performer and a decent guy. Before
+I go though, can you say "Manny Donio is my favorite regular guy"?
<JuliAnn> hi there
<eliza> Songs always sound slighly different when you hear them live! Thats
+what sooo great about it!
<MrKlaw1> John, I have a book about space from 1953 with they lyrics to Why
+Does The Sun Shine printed right in it...page 16.
<Istanbul> Shut up, Sonicmod
<destin> MONOflans: will Live in NY ever be released anywhere but Hello? Maybe
+through the info club, at least?
*** Nemo has left channel #lounge
<MONOflans> Mentos: I don't know who you're talking about. Sorry
<Tmbg345> Any Cowtowners in the crowd tonight?
<etherboy> Flans: This is a heated debate on the mailing list. In the song
+"Self Called Nowhere" Does John L. say It's a thing named IT or, a thing
+named ID?
<Mentos> Monoflans: It's me.
<RobNg> I'm a cowtowner
<SONICMOD> Whizard: MONOFlans: Have you any intention of releasing a
+concert-style version of Why Does The Sun Shine on anything other than Live
+in NY??
<MrKlaw1> I bought it at a garage sale for 50 cents, not knowing what secrets
+it contained
<Harlequin> MONOflans: Will Mono Puff continue on an irregular basis, or just
+die of in favor of some other project?
<Tmbg345> what's your regular screen name?
<Ruprecht1> I've been to cowtown
<RobNg> SpiffyRob
<Tmbg345> I remember you, how's it going?
<MONOflans> MrKlaw 1: It is taken from a book of astronomy, I think. It's a
+cover of a song from an educational record.
<Tmbg345> Oh! Hey!
<Ruprecht1> I'm Ruprecht76
<MrKlaw1> How do I get a job working for TMBG?
<eliza> Do you see yourself doing some sort of ELIVE album?
<kismet> I've been to Bovina Center, NY. Does that cownt? (Get it,
"cownt"?)
<RobNg> like phish
<Tmbg345> why?
<irc> Where did you get the name Monopuff?
<Tmbg345> And i you, how is everything?
<MONOflans> Harlequin: Forever, although many of the personel have other
+commitments, so it will evolve as it continues.
<RobNg> Because the computer that had aol is gone untill then, and I
can't get
+it to work on this computer
*** Signoff: Mentos ((signed off))
<kismet> John, where can I find a tape or CD of the Clamdiggers' stuff?
<MONOflans> irc: I talked about it before
<eliza> It kind of reminds me of that FLUFF stuff!!
<isaac> Any FL dates for MonoPuff? And will you ever (or have you ever)
+written a blue-beat song? Dr. Kildare was great!
<MrKlaw1> mike sez: Klaw and I want to head a Canadian chapter of the fan
+club. What do you say about that, John?
<Matt1> were you inspired by Frank Black when you made Guitar was the Case?
<Tmbg345> bummer
<etherboy> evrthing is coo, tmbg345, I got out of AOhelL is all :)
<Harlequin> MONOflans: That's good to hear! I really like MonoPuff, and I'm
+really glad you're having fun with it.
<MONOflans> kismet: In my car is the only place I'm sure you could find it.
+They played around Boston quite a bit
*** marlowe (c...@171.64.77.147) has joined channel #lounge
<Istanbul> AOHell screwed up my computer
<Tmbg345> tjat
<eliza> What is the response to the band in Europe?
<Tmbg345> thats cool
<RobNg> Flans: Will you ever get any closer to NH the NY? You could go to
+great woods in boston or burlington in VT?
<kismet> I think you were inspired by the theme to "The Munsters."
(That's a
+good thing. Really.)
<eliza> And CAnada??
<Ruprecht1> aol sucks
<MONOflans> Harliquin: I want to step out even more with the Puff, and try to
+do a more groove oriented record next time
<SONICMOD> isaac: Any FL dates for MonoPuff? And will you ever (or have you
+ever) written a blue-beat song? Dr. Kildare was great!
> MONOFlans: Have you any intention of releasing aconcert-style version of
+Why Does The Sun Shine on anything other than Live in NY?
<MrKlaw1> eliza are you in canada?
<Istanbul> AOHell is pure evil. Da Chronic should be hung.
<kismet> "The Puff." How dear.
<Ruprecht1> If I made a tmbg page, would you want me to utilize frames?
<irc> I heard either Brian or Tony left the band, is this true?
*SONICMOD* I'll through you question up next...
<Ruprecht1> er, a Mono Puff page
<Istanbul> Where can I get the Live album?
<kismet> Tony left, replaced by Graham Maby.
<MONOflans> isaac: TMBG within 6 mo.s I'm sure, but until MP has a big fat hit
+I don't think we could pay for the gas.
<eliza> no , MRKLAW I'm in NYC!!
<SONICMOD> Whizard: MONOFlans: Have you any intention of releasing
+aconcert-style version of Why Does The Sun Shine on anything other than Live
+in NY?
<MONOflans> Istanbul: bootlegs
<MrKlaw1> ok
<Tmbg345> i gotta go
<Tmbg345> be right back
<kismet> Me too, eliza.
<Istanbul> MP needs more publicity
<etherboy> Tony Maimone played in the band PERE UBU before TMBG Check out
PERE
+UBU people :)
<eliza> cool!!
<Seta> John, I'm painting the cover of your first TMBG album on my wall :) :)
+:)
<Ruprecht1> The sun is a mass
<MONOflans> irc: Tony is starting a studio in Brooklyn, and friends of mine
+who have worked there said it is so clean it is amazing
<Matt1> MonoFlans: what do you think of the Devil Went Down to Newport being
+on the Extreme GAmes on ESPN?
<Harlequin> I think MP is good small. MONOflans, I'm sure you enjoy the
+concerts where moshing is not a problem :)
<RobNg> Flans: Will you ever get any closer to NH the NY? You could go to
+great woods in boston or burlington in VT?
<MONOflans> Seta: right on. Make me look thin
<Seta> :))
<MrKlaw1> Almost yours rentalworld.
<Seta> okay cool :)
<MONOflans> RobNg: I hope so.
<destin> MONOflans: Why aren't TMBG and Mono Puff way more popular than, say,
+Hootie and the Blowfish?
<irc> Please do another show at Amherst College. You have lots of fans there.
<MrKlaw1> Drive Thru records
<Istanbul> Do like most the companies do and pay the stations to play your
+song.
<Ruprecht1> Flans, have you ever listened to Ween?
<kismet> You are lovely the way you are. Don't go changin'... (sorry)
<MrKlaw1> foodtropolis
<Harlequin> destin: because most people can't comprehend the brilliance that
+is TMBG.
<MrKlaw1> TMB Cinema
<Istanbul> Can I still order old Hello stuff, like the Live album?
<T-Set> Any more online concerts and/or QA sessions on your agenda?
<RobNg> Flans: I really think you should go to great woods. It's outside so
+the acoustics are great and it holds a ton of people
<MONOflans> destin: I think I have gained to much weight, and I swear too
much
+while we are on commercial radio stations. Just one theory.
<MrKlaw1> Hot Dog Colony
*** Signoff: JuliAnn ((signed off))
<eliza> Hootie ????!!!!
<MrKlaw1> Sports Hole
<MrKlaw1> Chophouse Eatery
<MONOflans> Too much. I can't sppell well and type this fast
<eliza> Can we please not discuss him!!
<irc> What is the song "They'll Need a Crane" about- is it derived from
+personal experiences
<MrKlaw1> Total Burger
<SONICMOD> Istanbul: Can I still order old Hello stuff, like the Live
album?
+
<Harlequin> MONOflans: How about "MTV Unplugged"? :) : ):) :)
<MONOflans> irc: That is really one for Linnell
<MrKlaw1> sorry just went mad for a moment.
<kismet> I DID hear you employ the "f" word twice at Mercury Lounge back in
+March, young man.
<Seta> John, will you ever come to Upstate NY, like Ithaca?
<Tmbg345> why hello
<MONOflans> kismet: I have emotional problems
<Matt1> WE LOVE YOU FLANSY!
> Have you any intention of releasing aconcert-style version of Why Does The
+Sun Shine on anything other than Live in NY?
*** banshee (GC10...@207.78.11.163) has joined channel #Lounge
<Istanbul> Just an interjection -> THE TMBG appearance at the HFStival last
+year kicked ass!
<MrKlaw1> love you too john
*** banshee has left channel #Lounge
<Harlequin> Seta: They play Rochester a lot.
<etherboy> DEFINITELY
<MONOflans> MATT 1: all rigght
*** banshee (GC10...@207.78.11.163) has joined channel #Lounge
<destin> MONOflans: I've never heard you on a commercial radio station. And
+I'm sure the Blues Traveler guy is far more immense than you could ever
be.
<Seta> oooh Rochester :)
<Tmbg345> hello?
<Ruprecht1> are you pasting that whizard?
<eliza> You guys used the"F" word at a show???!!!
<kismet> Tell me all about it, doll. (Come on, you're great, and you know
+it.)
<ninja-bob> is there a cover design for the "factory showroom" yet?
<irc> This is really funny, but one of my friends is really set on marrying
+Linnell. It's cute.
<Harlequin> Seta: you near Rochester? Great town. :)
<MONOflans> destin: But he can really play the harmonica
> Ruprecht: Yeah...
<MrKlaw1> i really liked the Scream as if you were in hell! middle of the
live
+Hide Away Folk Family. Bring that back John.
<Seta> Harlequin: im near Binghamton, NY
<eliza> Seta do you live in Rochester?
<kismet> He just said he has emotional problems. Cut him some slack, Jack.
*** Signoff: Tmbg345 ((signed off))
<Harlequin> So is it "Factory Showroom" now? I really like that one.
<destin> MONOflans: but accordions and square guitars are MUCH more
+interesting.
<kismet> (I think I'm Sinatra here.)
<Harlequin> Eliza: Do you live in rochester?
<etherboy> I like that one too
<RobNg> Careless Santa didn't really happen did it?
<ninja-bob> people who can't play the harmonica really shouldn't. Ex: Alanis
+Morrissette
<MONOflans> MrKlaw 1: That worked pretty well, but you can't do that stuff
+forever
<eliza> Seta: Im originally from Ithaca!
<MrKlaw1> thanks john i kmow
<MrKlaw1> know
<Istanbul> I hate Hootie. And Jewel. And Gin Blossems. And Alanis. And the
+Fujis.
<MONOflans> RobNg: Yes
<Seta> reeally? :)
<Seta> cool
<MONOflans> Ithaca rocks
<Ruprecht1> I hate dishwalla
<eliza> yeeah. Not much to do there though!
<Seta> are u coming back to Ithaca, John?
<Matt1> What will this new TMBG tour be called MonoFlans?
<etherboy> Flans: Have you ever done drugs (besides caffine)?
<RobNg> The whole thing? Santa spoiled your bank robbing scheme?
<kismet> In at least a couple of early TMBG videos, you and Linnell
seemed to
+have enjoyed showing closeups of your usually-chomping teeth. What gives,
+man?
<Harlequin> MONOFlans: Whataya think of Rochester? :) I saw you here once.
<Istanbul> Some people don't deserve to be famous. Ex: Alanis
<irc> Are you going to continue doing albums in the newer, harder, raw style,
+or are you going to go back to those more pop/ballad styles of Lincoln and
+TMBG-debut?
<Ruprecht1> How about Ann Arbor Detroit or Lansing?
<eliza> Have you been to Ithaca MonoPuff???
*** Tmbg345 (Tmb...@206.161.186.221) has joined channel #lounge
<MONOflans> Let's not get into a "suck" or "rules" deal here. Any questions
<MrKlaw1> Mike and I drove for 12 hours from Toronto to Elizabethtown, PA just
+to see you. You put on a great show...thanks a lot guys, we love you
<T-Set> I am leaving. Thanks a lot, John!!!!!!!!!!
<MONOflans> T-Set: chow
<Tmbg345> yo Flans, what do you think of The Coctails?
*** Signoff: T-Set ((signed off))
<Istanbul> Flans: How did you gain your God-like stature?
*** JuliAnn (Jul...@169.207.5.120) has joined channel #lounge
<eliza> BYe Bye T_SET!!!!
<destin> I drove for 7 hours to see you in Athens, GA. Alas....
<ninja-bob> that guy in bluestraveller plaays harmonica well.
<MONOflans> eliza: Yes, I hang out there quite a bit. I spent a lot of my
+childhood there.
<etherboy> Flans: Does the song sexxy have anything to do with the pere ubu
+song navvy?
<Matt1> Steve Calhoun is a wild man John!
<MONOflans> destin: the cancelled show?
*** Signoff: JuliAnn ((signed off))
+upper-register numbers like "She Was a Hotel Detective"?
<MONOflans> I was really sick that day. I went to the hospital and my
+temperature and I was at, like 104.5 degrees
<Tmbg345> yo Flans, WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE COCTAILS!?
*** Signoff: pinky22 ((signed off))
<eliza> Its beautiful this time of year but hell in the cold months!!!
<destin> MONOflans: The cancelled show. Then I tried to see you at
+Zephyrfest,in New Orleans... cancelled too. I'm cursed.
<etherboy> Where exactly is "Hell's Kitchen"?
<kismet> Echinacea and goldenseal. And pulsatilla. They work wonders, I
+wouldn't steer you wrong.
<Harlequin> Flans: I think you (TMBG) should tour as "Folk Family" or
somesuch
+once per tour. It'll give you the small concert experience, with mostly
+"devoted" fans. :)
> John: What did you think of Hotel Faux Pas, the band that opened for
you at
+Mississippi nights in St. Louis last year?
* etherboy is sad that flans was sick
<SONICMOD> Okay everyone... OPEN CHAT... Please be patient as John can only
+answer the questions that are in front of him!!
<Ruprecht1> if I told you the url of my website, would you look at later?
<MONOflans> kismet: well, sometimes it doesn't work, which was kinda the
+inspiration for "How can I SIng Like a Girl?"
*** JuliAnn (Jul...@169.207.5.120) has joined channel #lounge
<irc> Did you make "Spiralling Shape" specifically for the Kids in the Hall
+album?
<eliza> Hey JuliAnn!!
<Tmbg345> Will your cover of "Taking Care of Business" be released anytime?
<etherboy> hi
<kismet> You do a fine job--no pubescent-Peter-Brady-like cracking to this
+gal's ears.
<MONOflans> Whizard: I din't get a chance to see them, because it was the
only
+time I could eat dinner, which is almost always the case with openers
<Matt1> John: how long ago did your hit your head and become left handed?
<Tmbg345> hi
<ninja-bob> you should come play at the Ohio State fair. It would be a
+welcome change from all the country music.
<eliza> That movie was sooo funny!!!
<destin> MONOflans: I understand you were sick. It's okay. You just really
+have to come to FL soon. :)
<MrKlaw1> John, Klaw and I want to head a Toronto chapter of the TMBG fan
+club. How do you suggest we can go about this?? And will you support it?
<MONOflans> Tmbg345: No.
<Harlequin> Flans: What has inspired the decidedly more "rockin'" sound of
+TMBG's newest work? (I like it, BTW)
<Seta> John, u should have made Nixon's the One longer, it ROCKS!!!!
<RobNg> Were you saying anything on the cover of Smells like teen spirit?
<MONOflans> MrKlaw 1: Do it.
<MrKlaw1> OK THANKS JOHN
<Tmbg345> That was quite swank at the Fairfax fair!
<Harlequin> Seta: NTW is cool. My mother got a bit strange when she heard it.
+:)
<MrKlaw1> um...how?
<Seta> :)
<irc> What is "Put your Hand Inside the Puppet Head" about. You guys are
+really cool in the video for it.
<isaac> Mr. Flans: I've got 200' of 16mm film in my fridge. If I shot a music
+video for Nixon's the One, would you like a copy?
<kismet> "Nixon's the One" almost sounds like a Linnell-penned song. Do you
+agree?
<RobNg> It was on dial a song first
<eliza> Yeah!!
<MONOflans> Seta: I had a hard time figuring out what else to say. It is
+really about the slogan "Nixon's the One" which always seems creepy in it's
+double edged meaning.
<irc> "She's An Angel" is a beautiful song. Where did you get the inspiration
+for that?
<Seta> oooh cool :)
<Harlequin> Flans: Did you go see the movie "NIXON"? :)
<MrKlaw1> I'm not joking, John. How can we coordinate with the New York info
+club?
<kismet> You look S-E-X-X-Y when you pour that coffee into that cup and
+saucer--so cavalier, so coy.
<Matt1> Flans: what did you think of the NPR All things considered show?
<RobNg> Deja vu! I heard something just like that on the ATC interview john!
<eliza> Maybe someone close to you??
<Istanbul> Flans: YOU ARE SO COOL!
<Seta> John are u going to host 120 again?
<etherboy> Yeah, Flans: Can I get your permission to use your music inany
+future fim projex :)
<Tmbg345> Will Killer Kahn be your new bassist? He rocks'!
<MONOflans> kismet: I would have to say, Linnell is my biggest influence, so
+if it sounds that way it is no suprize.
<RobNg> And then you toss it on the ground
<irc> Flans is definitely an awesome guy
*** banshee1 (GC10...@207.78.11.102) has joined channel #Lounge
<MONOflans> Seta: If they invite us.
<Istanbul> I must leave now. Flans, you da greatest!!!!!!!!
*** Signoff: banshee ((signed off))
<MONOflans> Tmbg345: Killer Kahn is the best!
<Seta> byebye istanbul :)
<PopinFrsh> Did the name They Might Be Giants come from the movie They Might
+Be Giants?
<irc> One of my friends is a budding artist and you and John are his role
+models.
<kismet> John, what do you think of "What's Your Sign, Girl" by Alex Chilton?
+(Now THERE'S some crackin' vocal work!)
<eliza> take care Istanbul, and behave!!!
<Matt1> who's Killer Kahn?
<Tmbg345> He's a swell guy
<MONOflans> Istanbul: Later
<RobNg> Everybody e-mail Conan at late...@nbc.com and tell him to but on TMBG
<Harlequin> Popin: say it aint so.
*** Signoff: Istanbul ((signed off))
<Harlequin> Flans: What's your feeling about the pending album? Do you feel
+you've done a good job? Are you happy? Tired?
<eliza> So what are your plans to do until you tour in Sept?
<irc> What would you guys play if you were on the Conan O'Brien Show?
<MONOflans> PopinFrsh: Yes, although only insofar as it seemed like a good
+name for a band. The movie is not so great
<destin> MONOflans: is Mono Puff slated for any live TV appearances?
<RobNg> The movie is terrible
<MONOflans> eliza: I'm going out west to rest and gamble
<eliza> What about Dave Letterman?
<kismet> Sorry to ask you about Linnell, but do you know if he has plans to
+continue with his "State Songs"?
<etherboy> I hear a lot of ppl enjot the TMBG as well :)
<Matt1> I loved the movie!
<MONOflans> irc: probably whatever the single was
<Seta> John, where'd u get the idea for Careless Santa? im listening to
it now
+BTW :)
<Tmbg345> Will They Might Be Frank ever go around again?
<eliza> Las Vegas??!!
<etherboy> the TMBG movie that is :)
<kismet> Have you guys been on David Letterman's new incarnation?
<Matt1> MonoFlans: Any future Monopuff singles coming off this album??
<RobNg> I'm listning to unsupervised for the fourth time in a row now
<eliza> Las Vegas rocks!!
<Matt1> it was They Might be Black (not Frank)
<ninja-bob> why is unsupervised so short??
> MONOFlans: Any coincidence that Guitar Was the Case sounds rather like Hall
+of Heads without words?
<Tmbg345> How did you get to work with Elina Lowensohn?
<Ruprecht1> I have unsupervised in with 4 other discs...
<Harlequin> I love the lyrics to CSanta. One of the few songs that made me
+laugh when I first heard it. I mean, "fell on my arm and broke it" is just
+such a great line!
<Seta> Guitar Was the Case roxx :)
<kismet> I think it sounds like the theme to "The Munsters." (No offense
+meant.)
<Tmbg345> Oh, and thanks for the signed SPIN cd, i was a lucky winner!
<MONOflans> Seta: Well, the second verse was written as a crazy "alternate" to
+the first, which is kind of a cheap device that i use quite often, but it
+yields good results.
<etherboy> Yes Flans: Seta's Q : Wot inspired Careless?
<etherboy> ooops
<ninja-bob> I'm listening to John Henry cause it doesn't end after just 33
+minutes.
<MONOflans> kismet: Well, that and Hall of Heads (hangs head in shame)
<RobNg> whoa kismet your right. it does sound like the munsters
<MONOflans> ninja-bob: Sorry.
<ninja-bob> its okay
<eliza> what about me??
<Tmbg345> Flans, whats your favorite TMBG song?
<etherboy> How long is the new album?
<eliza> ????
<ninja-bob> didn't he say 45 min?
> MONOFlans: Didn't say it was bad that Guitar was the case sounds like Hall
+of Heads.. I quite like it... :->
<Harlequin> MONOflans: Only the first section of the riff sounds like HOH.
<MONOflans> etherboy: Well, I just wanted to write a song about a different
+kind of Santa.
*** Signoff: JuliAnn ((signed off))
<MrKlaw1> Mike sez: I'm thinking that the cool special thing I ought to get,
+being Canadian, and therefore deprived of live Mono Puff, is the signed
+libretto that Flans made. Hmm maybe I dost protest too much...
<destin> MONOflans: How do you feel about the green-tinted jewel cases
+Rykodisc CD's come in? Was that the reason you chose the label?
<kismet> Oh, come on. I really meant no offense. It's great. (I won't even
+mention that when I was a student at ASU in Tempe, I saw the Gin Blossoms,
+then a local band, play "The Munsters" theme all the time.) Now I'm hanging
+my head in shame!
<Seta> John, who is Nancy Lynn Howell? from Dont' i have The right
<irc> In addition to the album coming out this fall are you coming out with
+another in '97?
<Seta> The green jewel cases area awesome
<Seta> are
<MONOflans> destin: I din't dig it at first, because I worried it would make
+the cover look dim
<ninja-bob> green tinted cd cases are pretty neat-o/cool/rockin'
<MrKlaw1> it barely looks green
<Ruprecht1> do you have plans for any more christmas songs?
<kismet> John, what book are you reading these days?
<irc> Rykodisc is a good label, they have Bob Mould.
<eliza> Are you flying to LAS VEGAS? or driving because either way I have a
+good friend who would be interested in going!!!
<MONOflans> But now I think it's fine, because there is so much dust in all
+plastic they look about equally dim
<ninja-bob> I didn't even notice they were green until i saw it in sunlight
> John: What do you think about Wierd Al's "Everything You Know is Wrong?"
<MONOflans> Rykodisk is very cool
<eliza> She'e really crazy tooo!!!
<Seta> just the edges look green
<kismet> Aside from her Hello duties, what has Marjorie Gallen done? Is she a
+producer?
<destin> It's sort of a subliminal color influence... makes everything all
+groovy.
<Ruprecht1> I saw the label that said te tint was copyrighted...
<Tmbg345> Ryco also has The RESIDENTS
<Tmbg345> !!!
<ninja-bob> how can they copyright green tint, anyway?
<Harlequin> Hey, John, did you write DIHTW? I didn't see an alternate writing
+credit on the liner, but I've heard "Connie Champagne" sing it (on a tape
+compilation...)
<Seta> John, you look exactly almost like my cousin's husband :)
<kismet> I found that odd, too.
<etherboy> Rykodisc has the Residents and Flansburgh, wot more could they
+want! B-)
<Ruprecht1> trademark
<irc> Yeah, I wanted to know about that too. The Weird Al song is very TMBG
+derived
<MONOflans> Ruprect: I don't really think of Careless Santa as a Christmas
+song especially, because it's not really about Christmas joy. It just kinda
+takes place with Santa as a character
<kismet> What else has Marjorie Gallen done? Is she a musician, or a
+producer, or what?
<isaac> MONOFlans: Do you relish the return to bare-bones touring that
+MonoPuff has brought to your life, or do you prefer the gluttonous excess of
+a big tour bus and a semi of pyrotechnics?
<Tmbg345> How is it a true story?
<eliza> Do you normally write the lyrics or is it a collaboration between
+everyone in the band?
<Ruprecht1> oh
<MONOflans> Harliquin: DIHTRTBL is my composition.
<RobNg> What is the rest of TMBG doing now?
<kismet> John, you have a Santa thing, don't you?
<ninja-bob> it'd be cool if there was a christmas compilation album with all
+those sort of xmas songs.
<PopinFrsh> Why did you decide to create Mono Puff?
<Matt1> is the devil really david hasslehoff?
<MrKlaw1> Mike sez: What do you think of King Missile, John? I need to know.
<Tmbg345> What you think of the AOL chat?? Pretty lame questions if you ask
+me...
<kismet> No, Robert Goulet is the devil, and Ferrante and Teicher are his
+imps.
<ninja-bob> i always thought that the devil was my 9th grade gym teacher.
<Tmbg345> TMBG should cover Santa Dog
<eliza> You know in Germany everyone LOVES DAVID HASSELHOFF!!!
<Ruprecht1> the aol chat was bad
<Harlequin> MONOflans: I'm still waiting for my Power of Dial-A-Song tape
so I
+can hear *you* sing it. (DIHTR).
<Ruprecht1> this is much better
> John: What do you think of Wierd Al's TMBGish song, "Everything You Know Is
+Wrong"??
<MONOflans> isaac: well that's a omplicated question. The Mono Puff tour
was a
+little bumpy, but was pretty easy-breazy. Also TMBG tours aren't exactly a
+stroll in the park when it comes to logistics and travel, etc.
<MONOflans> irc: Thanks
<kismet> What's with all the teeth-gnashing in a couple of early TMBG
videos?
+Both of you do it.
<Seta> John, i called Dial-A-Song, and i think its an awesome idea :)
<Tmbg345> Is your look in the MP video based on the looks of the guitarist
+from Cheap Trick??
<banshee1> MONOflans: when traveling in cleveland..you can always crash
at my
+place if needed!
<etherboy> No it must be ZZ top :)
<kismet> How were you guys able to clear out that area around the fountain in
+Central Park to shoot the "They'll Need a Crane" video?
<eliza> So john what about Las Vegas??!!
<Harlequin> What happened to DAS? It was down for about a week...
<MrKlaw1> Mike sez: I think the best TMBG videos were directed by Adam
+Bernstein. Where has he gone?
<Tmbg345> "It's Pat" was pretty good.
<MrKlaw1> and where do you have Bill Krauss tied up?
<MONOflans> MrKlaw 1: I've only hear one song, and it was pretty "blue." Not
+really my bag, but I imagine they have other things to offer. That guy is
+some kind of spoken word - poet dude I hear
<Ruprecht1> Klaw will never get the Keyboard back
<kismet> Who is the keyboardist in "They'll Need a Crane"? He looks
+familiar--an actor, maybe?
<etherboy> Adam Bernstien directed a Pere Ubu video too
<Seta> John you are left handed ? me too :)))
<MrKlaw1> thanks John...you should try to hear more King Missile, it is not
+all blue.
<kismet> Have the Clamdiggers released an album or EP? I haven't been
able to
+find their stuff anywhere here in NYC.
<RobNg> Like detatchable penis?
<Ruprecht1> and some ween and some Wally Pleasant too
<MONOflans> MrKlaw 1: I saw Bill at the Mono Puff show, and he seemed happy
+and tanned as usual. He is doing voice over and acting in SF, and has a
+really interesting screen play he was telling me about
<Harlequin> The King Missile guy does spoken-poetry now. The band broke up,
+tho.
<irc> I hope you don't mind that I call my radio show at school, "Sapphire
+Bullets of Pure Love."
<isaac> Wally Pleasant! Someone else who's heard of Wally Pleasant! Ruprecht,
+you have taste!
<MrKlaw1> what is SF John??
<kismet> Who is Bill?
<Tmbg345> Have you quit using AOL?
<Matt1> SF= San Fran?
<MrKlaw1> Bill is a god...
<MONOflans> kismet: Nothing I know of, just a tape. I think they are no
<eliza> LAS VEGAS???? JOHN???!!!
<MONOflans> MrKlaw 1: San Fran man
<Ruprecht1> where are you isaac?
<MrKlaw1> thankss
<kismet> Thanks, John. Is "Devil" an old song, then?
<RobNg> I'm not getting sick of you or anything, but how long qare you
here?
<MONOflans> irc: Most cool
<eliza> Issac is resting!
<Matt1> Flans: have you begun thinking about Hello '97 stuff?
<MONOflans> Questions???
> Flans: You're great.. Thanks for doing this.. I gotta go though...
:-<
<Seta> John, how come they don't sell Mono Puff Cd's where i live? i
won mine
+from Rykodisc :) :)
<isaac> Isaac never sleeps.
<Seta> me either isaac :)
> Flans: Looking forward to Pointfest... :->
<kismet> John, did you guys enjoy doing the Brooklyn show in Prospect Park
+last summer? Why aren't you doing another one this year?
<Tmbg345> When is the Candy Butchers HELLO disc due out?
<MrKlaw1> Can I direct a video for you John? I have a film degree.longer
+with us, although
members are in other bands <Ruprecht1> I went to his show yesterday
<MONOflans> Matt 1: not really. W have to sort out the rest of the year. We're
+once again about to miss a bunch of deadlines
<ninja-bob> monoflans: what's up with the sticker with the devil ep?
<Harlequin> Flans: Are you getting a lot of freedom with Elektra now? I hear
+they've canceled/delayed SF. Do you get a lot of say in what you do and
+release, or do they tell you what to do?
<irc> I didn't win a Monopuff CD from Rykodisc :( I tried though.
<Ruprecht1> Isaac, where are you from?
<Tmbg345> when is the Gangsta Pat HELLO cd due out?
*** ElChavo (MrK...@206.142.161.3) has joined channel #lounge
<Harlequin> PS. I love the sticker!
<MONOflans> eliza: I'll be at the black jack table with a big cigar
<eliza> You don't understand I have the perfect travelling companion for you!
<isaac> Tallahassee, FL. I don't think Wally has ever come down here.
<Ruprecht1> Shoot some one and tell everyone your from detroit...
<ninja-bob> what's the elektra web site??
<Matt1> MonoFlans: I have yet to wash the signed Monopuff shirt you signeD!
<banshee1> MONOflans: what made you guys sell FEZ's during the Flood tour...i
+loved them..!
<Ruprecht1> I live in Wallyland...
<eliza> No Hat?
<Matt1> that i'm wearing
<Ruprecht1> Lansing Michigan
<Tmbg345> How much did the FEZ's go for?
<Matt1> I liked the $10 price of shirts btw
<eliza> I'll tell my friend!!
<MONOflans> Well everybody, I got to get to my Soul Coughing video edit
<kismet> Does Linnell plan on continuing "State Songs"?
<etherboy> Flans: Have you ever done drugs (besides caffine)?
<Ruprecht1> how did you hear about Wally?
<banshee1> i think i bought my fez for 20.00
<Matt1> see ya later Flans, have fun with Soul Coughing
<isaac> Oh, that explains it then. Well, if you get the chance, tell him he
+has fans in Tallahassee FL and should come here.
<RobNg> You best not be leaving
<MrKlaw1> Bye John! You have been more than generous.
* Seta thinks John is TOTALLY ROCKIN :)
> Flans: Thanks... It was great!!!
<MONOflans> etherboy: Personal
<eliza> Are you leaving us then John??
<etherboy> BYE BYE FLANS
<Tmbg345> See ya John!
<MrKlaw1> We love you in Canada, please come see us soon.
<ElChavo> u rule john
<isaac> Flans: how do you edit? video or film?
<etherboy> WE LOVE YA!
<ninja-bob> byebye - this has been great!
<kismet> Thank you so much for talking with us, really. What a treat you
are!
<Ruprecht1> bye FLans!
<irc> Bye! Thank you so much!
<banshee1> thanks john
<destin> Thank you for answering all our fast, disorganized questions....
<Harlequin> Thanks so much John!
<RobNg> GO TO GREAT WOODS!
<PopinFrsh> Thanks for talking with us. bye.
<banshee1> bye
<RobNg> Thanks
<irc> I can't wait to see you in concert again...
<Seta> Thanks john!!!!!
<Tmbg345> Thanks for coming....stay on AOL!
<Matt1> right on destin!
<irc> :)
<Ruprecht1> Have Fun John!
<ninja-bob> come visit us in ohio!!
<kismet> Keep your necktie out of the editing machine, won't you?
<Ruprecht1> thanks!
<etherboy> This was incredibly nice of u to do flans
<eliza> Take care then, and have fun at the black jack tables!! See Ya!!
<Seta> come to Ithaca and i'll come see u !!!!
<MrKlaw1> John, i meant what I said let me know :)
<irc> Good luck with monopuff and TMBG and your videos
<kismet> Say "Hi" to Linnell for us!
* Whizard will post transcript later tonight at http://acm.cs.umr.edu/~jferg
<RobNg> PLEAS GO TO GREAT WOODS
<Tmbg345> I'll be seeing you on Aug.16!
<kismet> This was great. Thanks, John.
<eliza> Seta: Do you live in Ithaca??
<isaac> Yow! A tie in a flatbed! Dangerous...
<Seta> ithaca is an hour from me
<kismet> Exactly my point.
<kismet> Bye, Johnny Boy.
* Whizard can't wait till Sept 8!!
<Seta> U rule John!!!
<Ruprecht1> Bye John
<Ruprecht1> this was great
<Ruprecht1> so much better than aol
<isaac> Indeed.
<MrKlaw1> bye john
<Harlequin> Eliza, Seta: Come to the next Rochester show. Maybe I'll see you
+there!
<kismet> Yeah, you deserve to wear that crown ring on your finger--you're the
+best!
<Seta> im going to albany!!!!!!! to see tmbg :) :) :)
<Seta> okay harlequin :)
<RobNg> Maybe he's just soaking up our appreciation
<Matt1> bye Dr. Kildaire
<eliza> Come visit NYC Seta!!
<Ruprecht1> Come to Michigan, John
<MrKlaw1> mike sez: So, John does not mind bootlegs.
<RobNg> Damn I forgot a question!
<kismet> It must be nice to be so adored, eh?
<Harlequin> MrKlaw1: Cool.
<Seta> :)
<eliza> Bye eveyone !!!
<MrKlaw1> mike sez: Yeah, cool...
<irc> Later, Karen :)
<kismet> Bye, eliza!
<Seta> byebye eliza
<Tmbg345> later!
<isaac> What are you talking about kismet, I am so adored. :)
<destin> Bye... see you in the Factory Showroom. :)

--
Justin Ferguson - CS - jf...@acm.cs.umr.edu - http://acm.cs.umr.edu/~jferg

"..the possibility exists no matter how scary it may seem that paradise was
once the world and it wasn't just a dream..the earth was our heaven and we
didn't know there were rules for us to break and maybe now we'll find out
too late what a clever hell we can make.." - Blues Traveler - "Whoops"

Frank J. Perricone

Jul 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/13/96

On 12 Jul 1996 02:58:04 GMT, jf...@acm.cs.umr.edu (Justin C. Ferguson)
wrote:

> Here's the transcript of Flans' appearance on Sonicnet.com tonight, for anyone

Thanks for sharing it :)

> <SONICMOD> Hey All!... It's going to get really crazy... all of you have
> +questions... so if you could let me PRIVATE message you... I'm going to pass
> +the MIKE around so that you'll all have a TURN OKAY!

Apparently SonicMod doesn't know about +m and +v modes :)

--
* Frank J. Perricone * hawt...@sover.net * http://www.sover.net/~hawthorn
Just because we aren't all the same doesn't mean we have nothing in common

Mark Clements

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

wrote:

> Here's the transcript of Flans' appearance on Sonicnet.com tonight, for anyone>

What a pile of pap!

I hope that most of the people who attended this are ashamed of themselves!
Poor guy got barraged with pointless questions, which were repeated
incessantly until the asker got bored, or sometimes, was answered. Why
bother asking about when they will be playing in City X or State Y or
complaining about personal grievances e.g. Hello club haven't replied or
Why was show Z cancelled? This was, all in all, a wasted opportunity.
Moreover it was one which may well stop Flansburg from doing a repeat
performance, although we can only hope. It certainly won't have persuaded
him to actually pay for iNet access, although if we're lucky then there'll
be something else to change is mind.

The Awards: The major awards are as follows:
Most Wasted question: TMBG345, who asked 'Have you quit using AOL?'
No comment. There were some pretty useless questions, but at
least they were generally relevant to TMBG or John's solo projects.
Worst Hosts: RobNg and Ruprecht. Toughly fought contest this one - and
there were quite a few other contenders. These are the people with
the most incessant discourtesy and badgering questions, labouring a
point, even if irrelevant. Eliza also managed to slip into
this category even though she was almost the winner of...
Best Hosts: Eliza was going to win this, and indeed would have done had
I stopped reading about half way through, but towards the end she
destroyed her strong position. (Apologies if Eliza is male, but
if so, choose a proper name). Having failed to find a proper
winner, I give this to all the people who remained mostly silent.
I hope there were as many as there seemed to be.

Overall John came over as a man in a crowd of people, being shouted more
questions than he could answer (as you would expect). But, much to my
chagrin, most of the rest of the people came over as complete assholes,
which, although I don't know anyone's age, would make me guess at around
8-12. If I am right, I am upset. If not I am more upset. Basically if
all the people who had asked dumb questions had kept quiet, then:
A) John would probably have a much better impression of the Net.
B) We would have found out a whole lot more useful stuff.
C) We could have answered a lot more questions that really want to be
in the FAQ, but only qualify for the FUQ (Frequently Unanswered
Questions).
D) We would have taken full advantage of a possibly once in a lifetime
discussion. (Although, probably slightly more frequent. ;)

Okay - so maybe a lot of this was to do with organisation, but do you
think you guys could maybe act a little better if we ever get such an
opportunity again? Please?

--
___ ,';_,-,__
You'll miss me so - You will miss me. /~_ ,',' |O|,:,\,

Farcus

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96

*** Quoting Mark Clements <Ma...@Mabsy.Demon.Co. to All dated 07-16-96 ***

> --
> ___ ,';_,-,__
> You'll miss me so - You will miss me. /~_ ,',' |O|,:,\,
> It must be raining 'cos a man ain't / /,',' /--|_|-;:;|
> supposed to cry. But I look up and ( )',_) ) ):;)
> I don't see a cloud....TMBG...... >\,(__ / /:;;|
> :..Mark...//~ /:;:;:\
>

> *!* I-News .930x9
> * Origin: Sketchy (29:101/1.150)
ummm... what's that ascii thing?
`' -=- “¨“ -=- Farcus i don't want the world,
i just want your half -=- TMBG

... The longer the title, the less important the job.

Coyote

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96

>ummm... what's that ascii thing?

It looks like a cartoon hand holding a pencil to me.

"We were waving our arms out the window,
of a fast-moving passenger train
Acting in an irresponsible fashion
Until the engineer whose back had been turned
And who we thought would find us highly amusing
Quickly swivelled his head around
And his face which was a paper-white mask of evil
sang us this song..."
- TMBG, "Turn Around"
Coyote
(bneu...@pacific-academy.surrey.bc.ca)

Mark Clements

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

> >ummm... what's that ascii thing?
>
> It looks like a cartoon hand holding a pencil to me.

Which is ironic in a way, as e-mail removes the necessity of
actually _writing_ anything. Ah - I remember the heady days
of pencils and (gasp) paper! (you know - that stuff that comes
out of your printer). Still, times they are a-changing.

--
As relevant as ever. /~_ ,',' |O|,:,\,