Linnell 12/8/99 chat transcript

Jay G.

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
I got most of the chat, what little I didn't cut-and-paste
at the beginning I paraphrased. The order might
be a bit screwed up, as the HTML chat posted
the messages backwards, but I think it's all here.

-What's the back cover of State Songs supposed to be? give us a clue.

JL - want to keep it a mystery, goes with the front cover

Q - is a House of Mayors LP likely?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> I don't have a contract, but I think Rounder would be
into doing more State Songs. House of Mayors is more esoteric, and I think
State Songs is a good project for Rounder to handle.

Sir Rubber Duckie> Hey John, do you really play guitar and bass on this
album, or does Rounder have their information wrong?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> Well the bass is all sequencer, so I played a keyboard
to generate the bass lines. You can tell the guitar I played, it's the
really cruddy ones!

tdk> Were any of the State Songs from your Hello EP re-recorded for the
album?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> They weren't re-recorded, but remixed. I fattened the
basses out and made the low end a little better.

JAPrufock> is there some sort of "golden thread" or concept behind State
Songs, linking the album together?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> There is a golden thread mentioned in the title track.
I think what links them all is that they're all by me, and they're all about
states. It's kind of hard to say what makes them all belong together.

MacBheathain> is west virginia about one of those sets of dolls that fit
inside each other?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> Nope.
SPEAKER_John Linnell> It's partly inspired by Georgie Girl, "There's another
Georgie deep inside."

kingpin14> You play fake guitar on track 2. What's that?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> It's a synth. We put the sound of it through a guitar
amp, put some spring reverb on it, and remic-ed it.

conga_boy> Do you have a preferance for venue sizes? I saw TMBG in October
with a crowd of only abou 500 people. It was great. Do you prever largue
crowds?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> I like the small crowds. I also think there's a point
where if the crowd is too small, then it's a little nerve racking, a little
too intimate.

Hypertext Eye> John, we are all anxiously awaiting the children's album.
when can we expect that to be released?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> We haven't started recording yet. Sometime next year,
but I'm not sure when exactly.

Hooper_X> John: What happened to "Stump The Band?"
SPEAKER_John Linnell> It kind of ran its course, and we haven't come up with
a new interactive thing for the audience. We were actually stumped so many
times, we had to get on with the shows!

Lost> What do you do in order to perpare before a show you do?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> I drink a lot of coffee, and bring some more on stage
with me. I recently started taking naps before performing, and that helps a
lot.

chimpoo> I heard you started writing State Songs around the time of Lincoln,
did you ever think you would release an album 11 years later?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> You never know, we certainly started enough projects
that went nowhere! We knew the stuff would wind up somewhere, but it's
always a surprise. It's reallya speculative activity, song writing.

Alex Zero> my firends and I always try to figure this out, in Triangle man
what does each man represent?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> I don't have the answer for that . It's an open-ended
song that invites you to use your imagination to figure out what the songs
about. I would say that they don't represent anything, it's just a song with
a bunch of characters.

JayG> For the Brave New World Shows, how did you decide who would write each
song? was it a flip of the coin, or did one of you go, "oh, I have an idea
for a song about that..."?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> We went back and forth. We started with a song that
had already been written - You're Older. From that point on John and I
alternated writing songs.

DrFrank> We used "James K. Polk" in our AP US History class as a teaching
resource, it was great fun, i wanted to thank you a lot, most kids did not
appreciate the song, i or course did, I wanted to know what inspired you to
write the song though?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> It was curiousity mainly. We were trying to think of
things that we didn't know much about. We knew there was a President named
Polk, but not much about what he'd done. So we started researching him and
discovered he was an important historical figure.

Donkey> What happened to Flansy's finger in October?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> He fell and broke it. But he's been working (ever
since)

Hooper_X> Almighty John: What's the current status of the Peter Pan sequel,
and your songs for it?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> We haven't finished that one yet. We're still working
on it. One song is about the Lost Boys, and the other is Captain Hook
singing about his own greatness. They're both great, and we'll be doing a
couple more as well.

Luna> Are TMBG going to play on the Daily Show millennium special?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> Yes we are. We actually provided all the incidental
music, and then we performed all the live music as well.

JackHoff> What are you doing for New Year's Eve John?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> Crouching under my sofa! We're not performing
anywhere.

Charles Ponzi> Where do you find all the cool openers you use on the TMBG
tours?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> We often get recommendations from our office, and
occasionally from our booking agent. Occasionally we have some we like, and
we try to get them. We've generally had good luck, but there have been a few
bands where the audience appeared almost openly hostile.

mrbean432> I heard something about there being 2 cartoons made for 2 of your
songs on Nickelodeon, when is this happening?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> Those will both be done soon, and they will appear on
the show called Kablam. One is an animated video for Why Does the Sun Shine,
and the other is called Doctor Worm.

Sjimon_> What are some of the State Songs that you have cooked up in Linnell
Land that we don't know about?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> I've probably got another 10 or 15 done, and ideas for
others. I still haven't written the home states - New York and
Massachusetts.

tdk> John, what do you think about MP3s on the net that are of live TMBG
performances?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> As long as they're not being sold, I don't have a
problem. Once people start to make money with them, we want to know about
it. But otherwise, it's good promotion.

Baruma> I've noticed that the chords (keyboard) played for both "Iowa" and
"Dan vs. Cog/Shoehorn Intro" have a similar sound. Were they written around
the same time, or is it just a coincidence? :)
SPEAKER_John Linnell> It's the same keyboard player, so that's the
connection.

marsilies> the tmbg.org discography has you listed as Johnny Hart singing
the theme song for "Olive, the other Reindeer" is this true?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> Yeah.

Destin> What made you decide to become one of the first known artists to
embrace the mp3 format?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> We didn't make that decision, we were given an offer.
We were offered money to put out material we already had out in the MP3
format.

Luna> You and Flansy should write a Broadway musical! Ever thought of doing
that?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> Not really. We've had people suggest that, but that's
not really our scene.

RabidChild> How on *earth* are you going to get a band organ on the Bowery
Ballroom's stage?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> We'll find out on Saturday! It's not so huge that it
won't fit, but moving it around will be an interesting challenge. As well as
getting it mic-ed up with the band.

RabidChild> Will "Two People in Love" (a.k.a. "What Is Everyone Staring
At?") ever see the light of day?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> I don't know. I know what you're referring to, but I
don't know if that song will ever be out on anything.

roach> Are you going to release any christmas albums?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> No plans for that.

chimpoo> John, the band organ was a unique idea for the State Songs volume
1, do you have any other ideas for "odd" instruments you might use in the
future?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> I don't really like any instruments simply because
they're odd. I think the band organ is part of a large category of
instruments, and the possiblity is there for me to get into similar
insturments. I'd like to.

TMBeJN> Have you ever had The Beatles or any other 60s rock bands influence
you?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> Yes I have! The Beatles were a great influence, and
the list is a long boring one. If you sense our music reminds you of
something, and it came before us, then it probably did have an influence on
us.

Sjimon_> John, when will we receive the new TMBG studio album, and what are
some of the prospects for the new label?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> That is still an open question. We want to put out a
record next year, and one way or another we will. But we don't know under
what auspices.

tdk> John, what happed to "Rest Awhile" and "First Kiss"?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> First Kiss appeared on Severe Tire Damage, and both
songs are in our repetoire. Rest Awhile will be on the next record, and
maybe First Kiss as well.

phan> new tour dates decided yet?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> Nope, no tour planned at the moment. We're home for a
while.

Hooper_X> John: How do you feel about Don't Let's Start being chosen as one
of the Top 100 Music Videos Ever by TV Guide and MTV?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> That sounds great. I generally am not into those
lists, I sort of have an allergic reaction to Top 10 and Top 100 lists. But
it's flattering nonetheless.

JayG> how do you guys write the 'made to order' songs, like Dr. Evil. Is the
writing process any different that that of your other songs?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> I'd say it's probably easier to write a made-to-order
song, except when alot of revisions are required.

mrbean432> John, I love Sensurround! IS there any possibility it will be
released on a new album, or is it strictly a B-side?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> I think it would be nice to put that one on an album.
We haven't figured out when or how that one is coming out.

cooldudette> Who is that lady singing on the Dr. Evil song?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> That's Robin "Goldie" Goldwasser, aka Mrs. John
Flansburg.

Freakboy12> John, it seems like TMBG has been making less music videos than
in early years. DO you plan on making some videos for the next album next
year?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> One of the harsh realities of videos is that they cost
a huge amount of money. If we get signed and get money for one, then we'll
certainly do one. Otherwise, it prohibitively expensive.

phan> how do you balance marrieage and music career?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> It's all a matter of planning out your time. At the
moment, I'm confronting that issue by watching my one year old while doing
this chat!

roach> Have you ever thought of letting the fans naming the album or making
the cover?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> No, definitely not. Not that I have negative feelings
about the fans. I'm just not into any kind of "interactivity." I think the
artist should do everything, and the fans should not be called upon for
anything. I wasn't being mean.

Baruma> What images came to your mind when writing the 1st track "Illinois?"

Hofbrau> John, What musical training have you had, you seem to incorporate a
lot of neo-classical technique in some songs off he new album (ala Philip
Glass)
SPEAKER_John Linnell> I'm not really a student of Philip Glass. I don't
think he's really neo-classical, though. I think in a very un-schooled way,
I've been influenced by many things in the century I grew up in.

kevboy> John, I am in a two-person band that is extremely influenced by
TMBG. We also use a Drum machine, and I was wondering what type of Drum
Machine you used when it was just John and John?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> We used a bunch. We started out with the Yamaha RX-11,
a mid-80s one. That was for the first album. For the second album we got the
Alesis HR-16, the grey wedge-like one.

phan> any advice for musicians thinking of relocating to pusrue music?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> I think that it's something you may want to do if
you're in your early 20s! I moved to NY when I was 21, but if you have a
decent job, you probably don't want to throw it away to pursue your mad
dream of music somewhere else.

Announcement> John, Dial-A-Song has been broken for over a year... any plans
to fix it?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> I don't know if that's totally true. It works off and
on, and we haven't forgotten about it. We're doing our best to keep it
running all the time.

Hooper_X> John: Exactly how many instruments can you play? I can't think of
one that you *can't* play!
SPEAKER_John Linnell> I don't really play the guitar, properly. I can't play
brass, and I'm not a great drummer. I play either keyboards or single reed
woodwinds.

Sir Rubber Duckie> Do you have any plans to form a steady side project band
like Flans did with Mono Puff?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> I think this is as steady as it can get. I have a
group called the Statesmen that I tour with - California, Chicago, the East
Coast. That's my side band for the moment, we'll see where it goes.

Announcement> John, can you tell us about your touring band, The Statesman?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> It consists of a drummer Mark Donato, bassist Mark
Lerner, and Dan Miller - the guitarist who also plays with They Might Be
Giants.

Hooper_X> John: Flansburgh and yourself have a notable aversion to actually
appearing in the album art for your albums... Why?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> We don't have an aversion, we just generally don't do
it. We want people to pay attention to the music, not the two guys making
it.

Announcement> John, we all want State Songs T-shirts and hats and mousepads!
When can we expect State Songs merchandise?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> I've made up a bunch of shirts, and I sell them at
shows. They'll also be available from the website soon, or from our catalog
(TMBG).

Hooper_X> John: I just want to let you know that I think that you're a
positive role model for people today, unlike a lot of acts that glorify
booze and drugs, you've always seemed to keep it pretty clean. Thank you!
SPEAKER_John Linnell> Thanks.

JAPrufrock> Is Utah's "collective will" a Mormon reference?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> I think it's more of a general reference to a beehive.

Announcement> John, I noticed you used a white mother-of-pearl accordion
recently in a State Songs In-store, not the usual red one. Why did you
switch?
SPEAKER_John Linnell> I have this great little white accordian that's very
small that I use for in-stores and radio appearances.

MODERATOR> TWEC.com would like to thank John Linnell for stopping by
tonight! any last words?

SPEAKER_John Linnell> Everyone is invited to our upcoming Boston and DC
shows. Please check the website and local listing for dates and times.
There's also an item for sale in certain selected stores. There's a Montana
single in vinyl, which is a cutout of the US. Get those while you can, or
you'll have to pay $1000 on eBay next year! Thanks to all the fans who buy
our stuff and come to shows. We hope to see you out and about next year.

MODERATOR> A complete transcript will be available in the coming days on
www.twec.com

Asa Pillsbury

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
> Alex Zero> my firends and I always try to figure this out, in Triangle man
> what does each man represent?
> SPEAKER_John Linnell> I don't have the answer for that . It's an open-ended
> song that invites you to use your imagination to figure out what the songs
> about. I would say that they don't represent anything, it's just a song with
> a bunch of characters.

I KNEW it!!

--
"Huh nenumther no, huh nenumther no, my ne caws nyi thunderberr, my ne caws nyi thunderberr." -John
Linnell

Chadd VanZanten

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Jay G. wrote:

>-What's the back cover of State Songs supposed to be? give us a clue.
>JL - want to keep it a mystery, goes with the front cover

I've got some pics on the net that help out on this question.

>Q - is a House of Mayors LP likely?
>SPEAKER_John Linnell> I don't have a contract, but I think Rounder would be
>into doing more State Songs. House of Mayors is more esoteric, and I think
>State Songs is a good project for Rounder to handle.

Sshhhhhh! It took him 5 years to get the first State Songs finished! Don't
distract him. Just go buy another copy of State Songs. In fact, buy 2.

>SPEAKER_John Linnell> I like the small crowds. I also think there's a point
>where if the crowd is too small, then it's a little nerve racking, a little
>too intimate.

But he really likes it when people harry him down after shows, Sharpie in one
hand and a CD in the other.

>>Hypertext Eye> John, we are all anxiously awaiting the children's album.
>when can we expect that to be released?
>SPEAKER_John Linnell> We haven't started recording yet. Sometime next year,
>but I'm not sure when exactly.

Gaaaa! I told you people not to distract him!

>Lost> What do you do in order to perpare before a show you do?
>SPEAKER_John Linnell> I drink a lot of coffee, and bring some more on stage
>with me. I recently started taking naps before performing, and that helps a
>lot.

Ooo. Dunno why that gave me a sad feeling, but it did.

>Alex Zero> my firends and I always try to figure this out, in Triangle man
>what does each man represent?
>SPEAKER_John Linnell> I don't have the answer for that . It's an open-ended
>song that invites you to use your imagination to figure out what the songs
>about. I would say that they don't represent anything, it's just a song with
>a bunch of characters.

STANGL. TAKE. NOTES.

>Donkey> What happened to Flansy's finger in October?
>SPEAKER_John Linnell> He fell and broke it. But he's been working (ever
>since)

Flans is the Gerald Ford of TMBG. He fell at one concert I saw and they had to
skip the encores.

>SPEAKER_John Linnell> I've probably got another 10 or 15 done, and ideas for
>others. I still haven't written the home states - New York and
>Massachusetts.

Sheeeze. This guy writes more songs than Elton John.

>tdk> John, what do you think about MP3s on the net that are of live TMBG
>performances?
>SPEAKER_John Linnell> As long as they're not being sold, I don't have a
>problem. Once people start to make money with them, we want to know about
>it. But otherwise, it's good promotion.

(Does triumphant, fist-pumping happy-dance around chair.)

>RabidChild> Will "Two People in Love" (a.k.a. "What Is Everyone Staring
>At?") ever see the light of day?
>SPEAKER_John Linnell> I don't know. I know what you're referring to, but I
>don't know if that song will ever be out on anything.

(Stops doing dance.)

>marsilies> the tmbg.org discography has you listed as Johnny Hart singing
>the theme song for "Olive, the other Reindeer" is this true?
>SPEAKER_John Linnell> Yeah.

Hart=deer.

>roach> Have you ever thought of letting the fans naming the album or making
>the cover?
>SPEAKER_John Linnell> No, definitely not. Not that I have negative feelings
>about the fans. I'm just not into any kind of "interactivity." I think the
>artist should do everything, and the fans should not be called upon for
>anything. I wasn't being mean.

Great answer.

>Hofbrau> John, What musical training have you had, you seem to incorporate a
>lot of neo-classical technique in some songs off he new album (ala Philip
>Glass)

Heh heh. Oh brother.

Thanks for posting his Jay! Very cool!

Okay then,
Chadd

J. McLean Sloughter

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Mike Wood wrote:

> > Hooper_X> Almighty John: What's the current status of the Peter Pan sequel,
> > and your songs for it?
> > SPEAKER_John Linnell> We haven't finished that one yet. We're still working
> > on it. One song is about the Lost Boys, and the other is Captain Hook
> > singing about his own greatness. They're both great, and we'll be doing a
> > couple more as well.
>

> eep... I read in SEPTEMBER that production had been terminated on this
> project. Conan even mentioned the project-cancellation in his monologue
> a few weeks ago...
> ... has production resumed since then? If not, you'd think that someone
> attached to it would at least have the heart to tell the band ;p

I remember hearing when this first happened that production had been put on hold,
not cancelled, but that some people misread that and started to spread the word
that production had been cancelled.

-McLean

Eric

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
In article <82n3t5$rsg$1...@ussenterprise.ufp.org>, "Jay G." <J...@tmbg.org> wrote:
>SPEAKER_John Linnell> Everyone is invited to our upcoming Boston and DC
>shows. Please check the website and local listing for dates and times.
>There's also an item for sale in certain selected stores. There's a Montana
>single in vinyl, which is a cutout of the US. Get those while you can, or
>you'll have to pay $1000 on eBay next year! Thanks to all the fans who buy
>our stuff and come to shows. We hope to see you out and about next year.

Does anyone by any chance have a date or location for the DC show? I checked
the website but none was listed.

Thanks.

--Eric

--
lightman "at" his.com
http://www.his.com/lightman

Brian Powers

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
On Thu, 09 Dec 1999 03:52:28 GMT, add...@bottom-of-post.com (Eric)
wrote:

>In article <82n3t5$rsg$1...@ussenterprise.ufp.org>, "Jay G." <J...@tmbg.org> wrote:

>>SPEAKER_John Linnell> Everyone is invited to our upcoming Boston and DC

>Does anyone by any chance have a date or location for the DC show? I checked

>the website but none was listed.

Hear hear!
I second that! What's the deal with the Boston Show! He better be here
soon, I'm going home on the 15th!
-Brian

Mike Wood

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
> Hooper_X> Almighty John: What's the current status of the Peter Pan sequel,
> and your songs for it?
> SPEAKER_John Linnell> We haven't finished that one yet. We're still working
> on it. One song is about the Lost Boys, and the other is Captain Hook
> singing about his own greatness. They're both great, and we'll be doing a
> couple more as well.

eep... I read in SEPTEMBER that production had been terminated on this

project. Conan even mentioned the project-cancellation in his monologue
a few weeks ago...
... has production resumed since then? If not, you'd think that someone
attached to it would at least have the heart to tell the band ;p

~MikeWood
---------

Suzie Q. Doe

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99

>>SPEAKER_John Linnell> I like the small crowds. I also think there's a point
>>where if the crowd is too small, then it's a little nerve racking, a little
>>too intimate.
>
>But he really likes it when people harry him down after shows, Sharpie in one
>hand and a CD in the other.

I sure hope that wasn't a direct reference to my experience...If it was, I
didn't have anyhting for him to sign at the moment....so....SHUT UP! j/k

Atoook!ооо
Quick Release Lever, Wide 14 Inch Powermate, 360 Degree
Swivel Hose! (vacuums are sexual nowadays!)