Lyrics to Wicked Little Critta?

drewmann

May 6, 2001, 11:52:01 AM5/6/01
Love this song! But, some of the phrases are eluding me... anyone have
them figured out?

Thanks in advance,

-drewmann

drewmann

May 6, 2001, 12:35:03 PM5/6/01
drewmann wrote in message <9d3rti$d20$1...@slb4.atl.mindspring.net>...
Guess I should provide a template to save you some work...

Just fill in the blanks or make corrections. Please! Sometimes I get the
lyrics so laughably wrong... for instance, I thought it was "sensible to
ear eternal..."

The pro is here to lead the way
To save the day
--Wicked Little Critta!

He [flips ?] the puck [from ?] Bobby Orr
He shoots, he scores
--Wicked Little Critta!

As he proceeds to torch the place
As he proceeds to scorch the place
As he proceeds to [?] the place
Torcher! Scorcher! [?]!
--Wicked Little Critta!

He's a wicked little critta with a sissy bar
And he lays a patch on the tar
He's a wicked little critta with a sissy bar
And he lays a patch on the tar

And he pops a wheelie on his mini-bike
and he burns rubber and he peels out
He's a wicked little critta with a sissy bar
And he lays a patch on the tar

And he [?? the ball ??] Havlicek
And Havlicek [????]
He's a wicked little critta with a sissy bar
And he lays a patch on the tar

He decides to dish and he dishes
And nobody knows where he [dished?]
He's a wicked little critta with a sissy bar
And he lays a patch on the tar

he's a wicked little guy
[?]
wicked torcher little critta
he's a wicked little guy
--Wicked Little Critta!

he's a fink
way to go
I like him
I got problems

Thanks again in advance again.

scratch

May 6, 2001, 12:38:31 PM5/6/01

drewmann wrote:

> drewmann wrote in message <9d3rti$d20$1...@slb4.atl.mindspring.net>...
> >Love this song! But, some of the phrases are eluding me... anyone have
> >them figured out?
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >
> >-drewmann
> >
> Guess I should provide a template to save you some work...
>
> Just fill in the blanks or make corrections. Please! Sometimes I get the
> lyrics so laughably wrong... for instance, I thought it was "sensible to
> ear eternal..."
>
> The pro is here to lead the way
> To save the day
> --Wicked Little Critta!
>
> He [flips ?] the puck [from ?] Bobby Orr

clips, from

> He shoots, he scores
> --Wicked Little Critta!
>
> As he proceeds to torch the place
> As he proceeds to scorch the place
> As he proceeds to [?] the place

torch

> Torcher! Scorcher! [?]!

scorcher, torcher, scorcher

> --Wicked Little Critta!
>
> He's a wicked little critta with a sissy bar
> And he lays a patch on the tar
> He's a wicked little critta with a sissy bar
> And he lays a patch on the tar
>
> And he pops a wheelie on his mini-bike
> and he burns rubber and he peels out
> He's a wicked little critta with a sissy bar
> And he lays a patch on the tar
>
> And he [?? the ball ??] Havlicek

clips, from

> And Havlicek [????]

is used and abused

> He's a wicked little critta with a sissy bar
> And he lays a patch on the tar
>
> He decides to dish and he dishes

ditch (i think)

> And nobody knows where he [dished?]
> He's a wicked little critta with a sissy bar
> And he lays a patch on the tar
>
> he's a wicked little guy
> [?]
> wicked torcher little critta
> he's a wicked little guy
> --Wicked Little Critta!
>
> he's a fink
> way to go
> I like him
> I got problems

-scratch

Thomas Zeitner

May 6, 2001, 3:30:43 PM5/6/01

> > He's a wicked little critta with a sissy bar
> > And he lays a patch on the tar
> > He's a wicked little critta with a sissy bar
> > And he lays a patch on the tar

Great, great...
Um, forgive my impertinence, but what's a sissy bar?

ChessPieceFace

May 6, 2001, 3:49:48 PM5/6/01
The pro is here to lead the way
To save the day
--Wicked Little Critta!

He clips the puck from Bobby Orr

He shoots, he scores
--Wicked Little Critta!

As he proceeds to torch the place
As he proceeds to scorch the place

As he proceeds to torch the place
Scorcher! Torcher! Scorcher!
--Wicked Little Critta!

He's a wicked little critta with a sissy bar
And he lays a patch on the tar
He's a wicked little critta with a sissy bar
And he lays a patch on the tar

And he pops a wheelie on his mini-bike
and he burns rubber and he peels out
He's a wicked little critta with a sissy bar
And he lays a patch on the tar

And he clips the ball from Havlicek
And Havlicek is used and abused

He's a wicked little critta with a sissy bar
And he lays a patch on the tar

He decides to ditch and he ditches
And nobody knows where he ditched

He's a wicked little critta with a sissy bar
And he lays a patch on the tar

it's a wicked little guy
wicked pissa little guy
wicked scorcher little critta

he's a wicked little guy
--Wicked Little Critta!

he's a dink

way to go
I like him
I got problems

The Demonic Kangaroo

May 6, 2001, 4:55:25 PM5/6/01
Sissy Bar (noun): A narrow bar shaped like an inverted U that is attached
behind the seat of a motorcycle or bicycle and supports the operator or a
passenger.

-Mike

Joey Odorisio

May 6, 2001, 10:58:05 PM5/6/01
I like how this song is their most intentionally Massachusettes-accented
song since A Self Called Nowhere. Even more so, with the sports references
and uses of the word "wicked".

--
JOEY ODORISIO Spirali...@prodigy.net
http://pages.prodigy.net/spiraling_shape/

Eric

May 6, 2001, 11:46:46 PM5/6/01
scratch <scr...@the-pentagon.com> wrote in
<3AF57E07...@the-pentagon.com>:
>ditch (i think)

I'll go with "dish" ... makes more sense from the sports standpoint (i.e.,
dishing the ball out to someone else), to keep with the theme of hockey and
then basketball.

--Eric

--
lightman at wam dot umd dot edu
http://www.his.com/lightman

scratch

May 7, 2001, 12:34:54 AM5/7/01

at Eric wrote:

> scratch <scr...@the-pentagon.com> wrote in
> <3AF57E07...@the-pentagon.com>:
> >ditch (i think)
>
> I'll go with "dish" ... makes more sense from the sports standpoint (i.e.,
> dishing the ball out to someone else), to keep with the theme of hockey and
> then basketball.

I'm not really familiar with hockey lingo, but it sounds more like ditch
to me. I could be wrong though.

-scratch

Eric

May 7, 2001, 2:36:48 AM5/7/01
<3AF625EE...@the-pentagon.com>:
>I'm not really familiar with hockey lingo, but it sounds more like ditch
>to me. I could be wrong though.

I just listened to it again, and I think that you're right. I guess it was
separate from the two sports references.

J*R

May 7, 2001, 2:39:39 AM5/7/01
scratch wrote:

> > --Wicked Little Critta!

This is a great new offering from the Giants. Definitely
heading into (as always) brand new territory. Never knew
Limp Bizkit-esque feedback and turntables could be
executed quite so tastefully by the Johns. Is this a definite
Mink Car inclusion? Hope so!

-- J. Rude

"I don't think I'm gonna be really
understood until maybe 100 years from now."
-- Bob Dylan

The Demonic Kangaroo

May 7, 2001, 4:28:01 AM5/7/01
That stuff was added by Elegent Too, the original Dial-a-Song version sounds
different.

-Mike

"J*R" <sh...@rtcol.com> wrote

Bryce

May 7, 2001, 10:12:27 AM5/7/01
Eric (lightman):

> > I'll go with "dish" ... makes more sense from the
> > sports standpoint (i.e., dishing the ball out to
> > someone else), to keep with the theme of hockey
> > and then basketball.

scratch:

> I'm not really familiar with hockey lingo, but it sounds
> more like ditch to me. I could be wrong though.

He decides to * and he *es
And nobody knows where he *ed

The first two sound clearly like ditch, but the third one sounds more like dish. I see three possible reasons for this:

1) It's "ditch," but the third one sounds like dish because the -tch sounds are staggered just right (or just wrong?) in the vocal
tracks.

2) It's "dish," but somebody got it wrong the first couple of times.

or maybe, just maybe:
3) It really does change from ditch to dish. Maybe he decides to ditch school in order to play something in which he dishes the
ball to somebody but nobody knows where.

It is a mystery! All I know for sure is that this is one of my three favorite TMBG Unlimited tracks. That tympani roll makes the
hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Bryce
All the dishes got broken.

Nathan Mulac DeHoff

May 8, 2001, 12:44:33 AM5/8/01
"scratch" <scr...@the-pentagon.com> wrote in message

> drewmann wrote:
> > he's a wicked little guy
> > [?]
> > wicked torcher little critta
> > he's a wicked little guy
> > --Wicked Little Critta!

The unknown line sounds kind of like "wicked pisser little guy" to me.

Nathan
And he pops a wheelie on his superfueled freakcycle.

ChessPieceFace

May 8, 2001, 1:01:55 AM5/8/01
It is.... on Conan in 1993 or so, Flans commented about kids in Boston
saying "Pissa".... Conan was confused.

Destin

scratch

May 8, 2001, 1:02:34 AM5/8/01
What do they mean by it?

-scratch

Joseph André

May 9, 2001, 3:15:15 PM5/9/01
Really? Conan is from Massachusetts. Not that "pissa" is really used.
"Wicked" is though.

--
Your basis everything belongs to me, it is! I am the Zoltan of for the sake
of! Huzzah!

"ChessPieceFace" <ChessPi...@fake.fake> wrote in message

Matt Garretson

May 9, 2001, 6:14:20 PM5/9/01
This song reminds me of that SNL skit with teen couple in Beantown.
"Yuawh queah!" "No, you aawh!" (sp?)

Joseph André

May 10, 2001, 3:23:27 PM5/10/01
I just heard this song. The whole thing is a mockery of (ode to?) the New
England accent. You'd think two people who grew up in Eastern Massachusetts
would be a little more accurate. I love it anyway. And the Chopping Block
theme is great too.

--
Your basis everything belongs to me, it is! I am the Zoltan of for the sake
of! Huzzah!
-Joe

"drewmann" <drew...@mindspamring.com> wrote in message

Chadd VanZanten

May 15, 2001, 6:21:56 PM5/15/01
There are two dimensions to this song. One is the youth culture of
1970-1980, which is what I can relate to. The other is the
accent/dialect of what I can only assume is Mass., a subject that TMBG
has riffed on before, but I'm not from that region, so I'll just stick
to the content, not the form.

You've got to listen to this song from the perspective of 7- to
10-year-old kids in the mid-70s. That's who's singing and that's who
they're singing about. The narrator and the Wicked Little Critta are
neighborhood kids.

I can't speak to "little critta," but "wicked" was a high-ranking
superlative throughout my childhood, supplanted only by "bitchen" in the
early 80s. Things were also said to be "cool," but only the coolest
things were said to be wicked. "Nice" generally outranked cool, and
"sweet" outranked nice, but wicked reigned supreme. Wicked outranked
virtually any other adjective. I hope this isn't too obvious, that
wicked means cool, not evil. That the Critta is wicked speaks volumes.

This song just resonates so sweetly with me because when I was a kid our
days were filled with popping wheelies, burning rubber, peeling out,
sissy bars, clipping the ball from each other and, of course, ditching,
which brings me to the first point...

at Eric sed:

> I'll go with "dish" ... makes more sense from the sports standpoint (i.e.,
> dishing the ball out to someone else), to keep with the theme of hockey and
> then basketball.

It's DITCH. The practice of ditching is when you throw down your bike
and dismount all in one action, preferably in a way that lets you run
off into a yard or into some bushes. Like ditching a plane -- a
controlled crash. Ditching can also refer to running away from someone,
like trying to hide from em or getting away from them if they're chasing
you. Like, "Let's ditch your little brother..." or "Man I almost had him
but he ditched me." You can ditch on the swings, too. If you and your
bestest buddy want to ditch someone and you're all on the swings, you
just synchronize to your buddy's swinging and then yell "DITCH!" and you
both jump off at the same time and then burn rubber across the
playground. It gives you a head start, you know, cuz the guy you're
ditching has to either wait for the next upward swing, or worse, he has
to brake the swing down with his feet, which can easily take 5 or 10
seconds. By that time you're way over by the drinking fountains. Hence,
nobody knows where he ditched, cuz he's wicked and he's so damn good at
ditching. For older kids, ditching in the song may mean ditching a class
or ditching school altogether, which also fits the song because when you
ditch class you certainly don't want to be found. In any case, ditching
in its many forms was a very common practice when I was a kid and the
Johns are only 5 or 6 years older than me, I think.

I know "dishing" is a sports term, in basketball anyway, but that ain't
it. The Critta decides to ditch and he ditches. And nobody knows where
he ditched. This is the only possibility. Trust me.

Clipping the ball is stealing it from someone by means of superior
ballmanship, or puckmanship, as the case may be. So, as you're playing
basketball with your buddies, or by yourself, you color comment on
yourself as you're driving to the basket, saying, "He clips the ball
from Havlicek! He shoots, he scores!" John Havlicek, I'm assuming. "As
he proceeds to torch the place" sounds like a well-used bit of color
that some regional sports caster used and kids of the area often
recited, but I can't be sure about that.

Ditching, clipping the ball and the other stuff is mentioned in the song
because they are good skills to have if you want to get ahead in your
neighborhood, and the more prowess you have the more wicked you are.

TDK sed:

>Sissy Bar (noun): A narrow bar shaped like an inverted U that is attached
>behind the seat of a motorcycle or bicycle and supports the operator or a
>passenger.

An accurate yet heart-breakingly sterile definition.

A sissy bar is the support strut for a banana seat (on a bike, minibike
or motorcycle), which, despite the derisive and diminutive nomenclature,
is actually peice of equipment that was sought after, especially really
tall ones. You don't see this style of bike anymore, except maybe on
low-bikes. If you had the means to add a tall, after-market sissy bar to
your bike, replacing the short, stock sissy bar, you did it. Everything
today is mountain bikes, and bmx bikes and freestyle bikes. Bah. Give me
a smooth riding, comfy Schwinn with a fat slick on the back and a tall
sissy bar to guide her. They were called sissy bars because they were
intended to keep you from falling off the back of the bike -- you were a
sissy to need one. However, a tall sissy bar, say 2 1/2 feet long or so,
made your Schwinn Stingray seem more a chopper (choppers are often
equipped with sissy bars). Some sissy bars had an upholstered pad and a
reflector. You could lean back while riding your bike! Can't do that
with any bike nowadays. So, put a small wheel, like 14" in diameter, on
the front of your Stingray, pull the handlebars down low, tape some
cards into the spokes and you've got yourself a pedal-powered chopper.

Sissy bars were also indispensible when popping wheelies. They enable
you to more effectively use your body to tilt your bike into a wheelie
and then sustain the wheelie. Someone who is good with a sissy bar can
ride a wheelie smoothly down the sidewalk, pedaling all the while, with
little or no extra effort or discomfort -- laid back on the bar with
very stable equilibrium, rolling along. The taller the sissy bar, the
more fine-tuning control you had for the wheelie. It's a lever, y'see.
Being good at wheelies in my day was an awe-inspiring skill, as was
being able to do "rock the baby" with a yo-yo, being good at surfing,
and knowing kung-fu. So, in any case, having a sissy bar was a mark of
distinction because not all bikes had good ones. A sissy bar is a
special thing. That's why it's mentioned in the song.

Peeling out, laying a patch on the tar and burning rubber, refer, of
course, to accelerating so as to leave skid marks, but it also refers to
just going fast, on foot, on your skateboard, whatever. But it mostly
refers to laying real rubber, which was nearly impossible to do on a
bicycle, so you usually do it by going fast and then braking hard. You
can peel out on soft ground, like gravel; technically that's a peel-out.
But laying a patch, a good long one, could only be done on a bicycle by
skidding to a stop. Leaving patches of bike rubber on people's sidewalks
was, by the way, in poor taste, and could be grounds for a call to your
mom. So anyway, if you could lay a good 5 foot patch of rubber without
falling off your bike, you were wicked.

Minibike. Gaaawd. If you had a minibike, you were basically 50cc above
God, and being able to do tricks on a minibike... well, you might as
well be a Jedi. You could also burn rubber and lay a patch on the tar
FOR REALS with a minibike, and that patch would be like a musk mark or
totem in the neighborhood, declaring your primacy for all to see.

So, the Critta is truly a wicked little neighborhood boy. He's good at
popping wheelies, he ditches you (or school) for fun, he clips the ball
away from you, he's GOT A MINIBIKE -- he's a colorful character. Wicked
in every way. But there is both admiration and contempt in the lyrics.
Some think he's a dink, some like him. The Critta's prowess is to be
respected and you're drawn to it, but he doesn't always play well with
others.

Okay then,
Chadd

Deysian

May 15, 2001, 9:11:01 PM5/15/01
(extremely long and over analytical, and down right ridiculous interpretation
of WLC clipped)

The song is about Hockey. There's no deeper meaning to it. Get a grip, man.
They probably wrote the lyrics to this sub-par track in less than five minutes.
You are the reason people think TMBG fans are idiots without any broader
perspective other than from their own obsessive, outcast, 'Science Club', 45
year old virgin fantasy worlds. Jesus! Go for a walk or something, man!

Joseph André

May 15, 2001, 10:49:12 PM5/15/01
Hush.

--
Your basis everything belongs to me, it is! I am the Zoltan of for the sake
of! Huzzah!
-Joe

"Deysian" <dey...@aol.com> wrote in message

Deysian

May 15, 2001, 10:58:25 PM5/15/01

>Hush.

I still love you, Zoltan.

-Deysian

Chadd VanZanten

May 16, 2001, 4:19:25 AM5/16/01
"Deysian" <dey...@aol.com> sed:

Heh heh. Geeze. Sorry she left, dude. Or that you didn't get the job.
Whichever one it is.

Okay then,
Chadd

Deysian

May 16, 2001, 6:48:22 AM5/16/01

>Heh heh. Geeze. Sorry she left, dude. Or that you didn't get the job.
>Whichever one it is.
>
>Okay then,

Yeah, I really shouldn't post when I'm in a bad mood, sorry. But, you have to
admit, that manifesto was a little overboard, and people do have a negative
stereotype of the typical TMBG fan.

Besides, as I like to say, and I'm pretty sure I made this one up, 'If you
don't offend someone, you are probably not saying anything important.'

-Deysian

Juniper200

May 16, 2001, 12:11:53 PM5/16/01
Deysian wrote:
>But, you have to
>admit, that manifesto was a little overboard,

No, I don't think so. One of my favorite things about TMBG--and I know this
holds true for some other fans--is that one can assign cosmic-level
significance to their songs one day and throw up one's hands and say "It's just
a song about hockey!" on the next. We've been somewhat lacking in the song
interp department lo these many months, and I found it refreshing to read
something by a person who's actually exercising his brain rather than taking
things entirely at face value. The act of thinking long and hard about matters
Giant should always be rewarded. Chadd, I salute you.

>Besides, as I like to say, and I'm pretty sure I made this one up, 'If you
>don't offend someone, you are probably not saying anything important.'

The corollary to this of course being that if you say something simply to
offend someone, you are almost defininetly not saying something important.

Katrina,
now with more bitterness, what with Douglas Adams and finals and this backache
and the heat and the "let's accept everything at face value!" trend.
******************
This post brought to you by Anubis Markets, a division of Osiris Foods. Shop
at the sign of the jackal-headed man!

Chadd VanZanten

May 16, 2001, 12:42:40 PM5/16/01
to Deysian
Deysian wrote:

> Yeah, I really shouldn't post when I'm in a bad mood, sorry. But, you have to
> admit, that manifesto was a little overboard, and people do have a negative
> stereotype of the typical TMBG fan.
>
> Besides, as I like to say, and I'm pretty sure I made this one up, 'If you
> don't offend someone, you are probably not saying anything important.'

I know for a fact that I made up that phrase. And this one: "The
difference between literature and journalism is that journalism is
unreadable and literature is not read."

As for my "analysis," I didn't analyze the song much at all. Symbolism?
Deeper meaning? What they were trying "say"? No. I try to stay away from
analyzing TMBG lyrics, since I think it's a good way to ruin a song. All
I did was explain the funky words they use in that song -- the whole
thing makes perfect sense to me, but I can see that a 20-year-old
listening to that song would be confused. Who is Bobby Orr? Who is
Havlicek? What is a sissy bar? And the whole thing about ditching v.
dishing. That had to be cleared up. By me. Anyway, it ain't about
hockey, or that's not all it's about. It's about being a kid in the 70s
and doing the shit that we did then. That's it... no analysis, just an
explanation for a song that no one seems to understand.

Okay then,
Chadd

Deysian

May 16, 2001, 2:28:19 PM5/16/01
> >Besides, as I like to say, and I'm pretty sure I made this one up, 'If you
>>don't offend someone, you are probably not saying anything important.'
>>

>The corollary to this of course being that if you say something simply to
>offend someone, you are almost defininetly not saying something important.
>
>Katrina,

Well, first of all, this part was a joke, I didn't make that phrase up, I most
certainly do not believe it entirely and, as for your corollary, you know that
was not my intent.

-Deysian

Alex Simko

May 27, 2001, 11:25:11 AM5/27/01
> Besides, as I like to say, and I'm pretty sure I made this one up, 'If you
> don't offend someone, you are probably not saying anything important.'
>
> -Deysian

So if I were to post some inflammatory response to this, I'd be saying
something important? Argh.