Nowhere??

iar...@axp2.acf.nyu.edu

Oct 13, 1993, 12:31:25 AM10/13/93
Ok ... this is weird, but I have to ask ...

In the past few days, did anyone call Dial-A-Song? There's been
this rather long song, sung by Linnell, I think ... and I've been
recommending left and right that people call to hear it.

It's begins something like:

I'm sitting on the curb
By the empty parking lot
By the store where they let me play the organ
I'm waiting for my ride
But I want to wait inside
Of the store where they let me play the organ
But I'm thinking about a wooden chair
In a room at the top of the stairs
And I'm looking down the stairwell ...

(yes, I have it on tape ... I couldn't help but do the answering machine thing
I'm in love with this song and I was wondering if anyone else had any
opinion on it or even knew the title (maybe they did it at a show?)

And if it's on Dial-a-Song tomorrow, call. Seriously. It's really
good and followed by a shorter song about TMBG ...

Just a suggestion ...

-murph (ilene)

"Strange things go on in Greenwich Village."
-Justin/Holmes, They Might Be Giants (the movie, not the Johns)

Matthew Goolsby

Oct 14, 1993, 11:20:59 AM10/14/93
In article <29g0at$5...@cmcl2.NYU.EDU> iar...@axp2.acf.nyu.edu writes:
>Ok ... this is weird, but I have to ask ...
>
>In the past few days, did anyone call Dial-A-Song? There's been
>this rather long song, sung by Linnell, I think ... and I've been
>recommending left and right that people call to hear it.
>
>It's begins something like:
>
>I'm sitting on the curb
>By the empty parking lot
>By the store where they let me play the organ
>I'm waiting for my ride
>But I want to wait inside
>Of the store where they let me play the organ
>But I'm thinking about a wooden chair
>In a room at the top of the stairs
>And I'm looking down the stairwell ...
>
>(yes, I have it on tape ... I couldn't help but do the answering machine thing
>I'm in love with this song and I was wondering if anyone else had any
>opinion on it or even knew the title (maybe they did it at a show?)
>
>And if it's on Dial-a-Song tomorrow, call. Seriously. It's really
>good and followed by a shorter song about TMBG ...
>
>Just a suggestion ...
>
>-murph (ilene)

I, too, have been listening to this song. (I'm standing in my yard where they
tore down the garage to make room for the torn-down garage.) I love
it! It is swell! I fervently hope that it is on the next album.

Catbutt

Jens Alfke

Oct 14, 1993, 4:27:58 PM10/14/93
In article <29g0at$5...@cmcl2.NYU.EDU> , iar...@axp2.acf.nyu.edu writes:
>In the past few days, did anyone call Dial-A-Song? There's been
>this rather long song, sung by Linnell, I think ... and I've been
>recommending left and right that people call to hear it.

This prompts some questions:

Do Dial-a-Song songs ever show up later on albums, or as B-sides?
If so, which released songs used to be Dial-a-Songs?
If not, are they generally not good enough to release?
Did any of the Fingerprints come from Dial-a-Songs?

This sound has no waves
--Jens Alfke This sound has no waves
jens_alfke@quickmail It moves, cuts swathes
.apple.com Through fog and other grey things

--Dog Faced Hermans

Douglas Zongker

Oct 14, 1993, 5:41:14 PM10/14/93
In article <1993Oct14....@gallant.apple.com> Jens Alfke <jens_...@quickmail.apple.com> writes:
>Do Dial-a-Song songs ever show up later on albums, or as B-sides?
>If so, which released songs used to be Dial-a-Songs?

i've heard "Jungle Gym" on Dial-a-Song. it's now on "the guitar" cd-5.

dz

--
douglas zongker; michigan state university; zon...@cps.msu.edu
"life is a nondeterministic finite automaton with lambda transitions."

Chris Bellomy

Oct 14, 1993, 9:32:13 PM10/14/93
> Do Dial-a-Song songs ever show up later on albums, or as B-sides?
> If so, which released songs used to be Dial-a-Songs?
> If not, are they generally not good enough to release?
> Did any of the Fingerprints come from Dial-a-Songs?

I haven't called Dial-A-Song more than five times, but I distinctly remember
listening to "Mammal" (from Apollo 18) back before it was released.

--Chris

"He had the same obsequious manner / that was the reason I had him killed."

Joshua John Buergel

Oct 14, 1993, 10:12:01 PM10/14/93
Excerpts from netnews.alt.music.tmbg: 14-Oct-93 Re: Nowhere?? by Jens
Al...@quickmail.app
> Do Dial-a-Song songs ever show up later on albums, or as B-sides?

At least one has, since my friend called Dial-a-Song a while ago and
heard "Hey Mr. DJ..." from _Misc. T_.

Joshua Buergel - all...@cmu.edu - jb...@andrew.cmu.edu
"Anybody who thinks we overstepped the playground perimeter of lyrical
decency (or that the public has any right to demand 'social
responsibility' from a goddamn punk rock band) is a pure natural dolt,
and should step forward and put his tongue up my ass." - Steve Albini

R. N. Dominick

Oct 14, 1993, 10:20:19 PM10/14/93
Chris Bellomy (cbel...@vaxb.acs.unt.edu) wrote:
: > Do Dial-a-Song songs ever show up later on albums, or as B-sides?

: > If so, which released songs used to be Dial-a-Songs?
: > If not, are they generally not good enough to release?
: > Did any of the Fingerprints come from Dial-a-Songs?
: >

: I haven't called Dial-A-Song more than five times, but I distinctly remember
: listening to "Mammal" (from Apollo 18) back before it was released.

Also, quite a while ago, I heard "Your Racist Friend" on Dial-A-Song. (I
used to run a small BBS that I'd take off-line occasionally to call D-A-S.)
It was an interesting version, as it contained the word 'bullshit' repeatedly.
I think the song, as on the album, is much better...
--

R. Dominick / cinn...@kaiwan.kaiwan.com / einstein @ qedbbs.com
"My thoughts are snakes, they play all the games..." -- hnia

Zach Baker

Oct 14, 1993, 11:10:32 PM10/14/93
Jens Alfke <jens_...@quickmail.apple.com> writes:
> Do Dial-a-Song songs ever show up later on albums, or as B-sides?
> If so, which released songs used to be Dial-a-Songs?

Y'know, I don't call Dial-A-Song as often as I'd like to, and...
hold on. <pause> Damn, it's busy. Anyway, I remeber hearing some
weird stuff that I just can't remember whether it made it to recording
or not, but I remember hearing She's Actual Size (a cappella, but of
course) on Dial-A-Song about halfway between Flood and Apollo 18.
Sounded a bit spookier. <redialling> See ya later!

Gerson V Koenig

Oct 15, 1993, 2:07:13 PM10/15/93
I remember hearing a version of Spy pretty similar to the one of WDTSS? about
6mths to a year ago on Dial-A-Song.

Gerson Koenig
gmko...@acsu.buffalo.edu

michael paul janssen

Oct 16, 1993, 3:41:38 PM10/16/93
The song that goes "chair at the top of the stairs" or whatever was
performed in concert. Didn't someone know what it was named? I forgot,
really. But it was good... I might have to call Dial-A-Song now.
Mike

KING INK

Oct 16, 1993, 7:09:36 PM10/16/93
anybody heard the one that goes:

"we love all the people
we love ........."

okay so i can't remember it, but it was kicking ass. and i'd love the words
and chords if anyone has em.

--
trubba not,
-Sam el...@selway.umt.edu OR el...@axposf.pa.dec.com

Russell Mast

Oct 15, 1993, 5:54:01 PM10/15/93
<jens_...@quickmail.apple.com> wrote:

> Do Dial-a-Song songs ever show up later on albums, or as B-sides?
> If so, which released songs used to be Dial-a-Songs?
> If not, are they generally not good enough to release?
> Did any of the Fingerprints come from Dial-a-Songs?

Between Flood and Apollo 18, I called D-a-S frequently, thanks to the
Student Government of a University that shall remane anonymous.

I got many songs on tape which later appeared on A-18. The highest
highlites were:

"She's Actual Size." (Same lyrics, different order. TOTALLY different
music.)

One time they played two at once,
"Where your eyes don't go" (a very cool, staccato version)
and the now famous
"Sun Song." (As I understand it, this was a very, very old tape for
them, I think pre-Lincoln. A friend of mine followed them around back east
before they even had their first album out, and Why Does the Sun Shine was
a favorite of theirs for live shows back then.)

an early proto-version of "Turn Around", with chorus but no lyrics.

"Hall of Heads."

"Mammal."

and a couple others I forgot.

Most of the stuff on dial-a-song is very high quality, except of course
that the sound quality deteriorates over the phone. The music is generally
excellent, if occasionally a little too underpolished to make it on an
album in its current form.

I don't know of any of the fingertips that were on d-a-s. I would imagine
that most of their good stuff will find it's way onto an album. Leave a
message after the beep, and tell them to do it. I don't know if they
record stuff or not, but they might. (They sure did that one time, to get
that weird B-side talking track "There may be Giants? What kind of money
do they make?")

-R