Dial-A-Song Anthology Setlist

Kaylum

Jun 20, 2002, 10:58:24 AM6/20/02
This was posted to the mailing list today:

From rollingstone.com:

TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology, tour planned to celebrate twenty
years...

Rhino records will release Dial-A-Song: Twenty Years of They Might Be Giants
on September 3rd, a fifty-two track compilation that, as promised in the
title, spans the two decade career of Johns Flansburgh and Linnell.

The two-CD set will include a trio of previously unreleased tracks -- live
versions of "She's Actual Size," "Spy" and "Stormy Pinkness" -- in addition
to a handful of odds and ends that had appeared on soundtracks, including
"Dr. Evil" from Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me and the group's
Grammy-winning "Boss of Me" from Malcolm in the Middle. The remainder of the
songs were culled from They Might Be Giants's nine studio albums, from
1986's They Might Be Giants to the just-released children's album, No!. Most
thoroughly represented is the band's best-selling album, 1990's Flood, from
which seven songs were drawn.

"I think our entire career is 'the other way of doing it,' pretty much all
the way down the line," Flansburgh says. "And that's very exciting for us.
We're happy to be an example of something that works outside of the regular
way it works. Just simply because of the contempt we have for the world." In
addition to promoting No!, the Giants are also working on their next adult
album, the follow-up to last year's Mink Car. "It's interesting, you do
something like [No!], and then you can go back to exploring adult images
again," Flansburgh says. "It's really good to keep yourself challenged. I
think I've come to realize one of the reasons so many bands fade out is they
feel like they only do one thing well. We probably only do one thing well --
or we may not even do it that well -- but, more importantly, we pretend that
we can do more than one thing well."

The duo is also planning to begin a lengthy tour of the U.S. to celebrate
their anniversary. The jaunt will launch in July and run through August,
before taking a short break and resuming in October and November.
"Basically, wherever you live," Flansburgh says, "like it or not, we're
coming to your town [laughs]."

Track listing for Dial-A-Song:

Disc One

Birdhouse in Your Soul

Ana NG

Don't Let's Start

Boss of Me

Older

Istanbul (Not Constantinople)

Doctor Worm

The Guitar

Dr. Evil

New York City

Particle Man

Cyclops Rock

Minimum Wage

Man, It's So Loud in Here

We're the Replacements

Why Does the Sun Shine? (The Sun Is a Mass of Incandescent Gas)

Your Racist Friend

Bangs

Snail Shell

Twisting

Another First Kiss

They'll Need a Crane

The Statue Got Me High

(She Was a) Hotel Detective

Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head

I Palindrome I

Disc Two

She's an Angel

How Can I Sing Like a Girl

James K. Polk

Meet James Ensor

Mammal

Pet Name

No!

I Can Hear You

Spider

I Should Be Allowed to Think

Fingertips

She's Actual Size

Spy

Stormy Pinkness

Exquisite Dead Guy

Robot Parade

Boat of Car

S-E-X-X-Y

Number Three

The End of the Tour

They Might Be Giants

Hey Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal

Nightgown of the Sullen Moon

Snowball in Hell

Purple Toupee

Cowtown

They Might Be Giants tour dates:

7/12: Denver, CO, AT&T LoDo Music Festival

7/13: Park City, UT, Harry O's

7/14: Boise, ID, Big Easy

7/16: San Francisco, The Fillmore

7/19: Portland, OR, Crystal Ballroom

7/20: Seattle, Paramount Theater

7/21: Seattle, Sky Church at Experience Music Project

7/23: Petaluma, CA, Mystic Theater

7/24: Santa Cruz, CA, The Catalyst

7/25: San Diego, 4th and B

7/26: Los Angeles, John Anson Ford Theater

7/27: Anaheim, CA, House of Blues

7/28: Las Vegas, House of Blues

7/29: Scottsdale, AZ, Cajun House

8/15: New York, Central Park SummerStage

Kay

ChessPieceFace

Jun 20, 2002, 11:15:47 AM6/20/02
Actually, that's a pretty damn good representation of TMBG's ouevre
for a two-disc set. I still have no need to buy it, but for anyone
trying to convert new followers, that's about perfect. It focuses on
their pop singles and their more esoteric album tracks (and even some
b-sides), which is really much better than anyone could have hoped for
a "greatest-hits" set.

Nick2cool

Jun 20, 2002, 1:15:01 PM6/20/02
>The two-CD set will include a trio of previously unreleased tracks -- live
>versions of "She's Actual Size," "Spy" and "Stormy Pinkness"

Who wants to bet the Stormy Pinkness will be the "Love" version from Unlimited?

-Nick

Quinn Collard

Jun 20, 2002, 1:37:39 PM6/20/02
Nick2cool wrote:

Haha, that's what I was thinking exactly.

Also, "Most thoroughly represented is the band's best-selling album,
1990's Flood, from which seven songs were drawn." Right, because that's
the one people in need of a greatest hits album are least likely to have.

It is a decent list of stuff, I guess...I could whine about some stuff
that's not included that I really feel should be, but I'm not going to
bother. But I still don't understand who the target audience of this is.
I can't imagine liking them enough to be willing to pay for a two-disc
album ($25-30?) but not enough to just buy everything.

And it better have damn good liner notes.
--
Quinn {selfcall...@houston.rr.com, AIM:lazeebunny}
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/quinncorner/index.html

"The healing doesn't stop the feeling."
~They Might Be Giants

why are you reading in this area

Jun 20, 2002, 2:37:00 PM6/20/02
>I can't imagine liking them enough to be willing to pay for a two-disc
>album ($25-30?) but not enough to just buy everything.

Maybe it'll be one of those few two-disc sets that actually goes for 15. I've
seen a couple of compilations like that.

Then again, someone here already pointed out that Flans is an avarice. ;]

Thomas Zeitner

Jun 20, 2002, 3:00:04 PM6/20/02

Kaylum wrote in message <20020620105824...@mb-mr.aol.com>...

>This was posted to the mailing list today:

>Rhino records will release Dial-A-Song: Twenty Years of They Might Be

Giants
>on September 3rd, a fifty-two track compilation that, as promised in the
>title, spans the two decade career of Johns Flansburgh and Linnell.

It's basically the official TMBG mix tape.

john m

Jun 20, 2002, 3:59:16 PM6/20/02
*Pink Album - 6*

> Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head
> Number Three

> Don't Let's Start
> (She Was a) Hotel Detective
> She's an Angel
> Boat of Car

*Lincoln - 5*
> Ana Ng
> Cowtown
> Purple Toupee

> They'll Need a Crane

> Snowball in Hell (Not a bad song, but... WYEDG, damnit.)

*Flood - 7*
> Birdhouse in Your Soul
> Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
> Your Racist Friend
> Particle Man
> Twisting
> Minimum Wage
> They Might Be Giants

*Apollo 18 - 6*
> I Palindrome I
> Mammal

> The Statue Got Me High

> Spider
> The Guitar
> Fingertips (I'm curious to see how they'll do this... if it'll be separate
tracks or a whole.)

*Miscellaneous T - 3*
> We're the Replacements

> Nightgown of the Sullen Moon
> Hey Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal

*John Henry - 4*
> Snail Shell

> I Should Be Allowed to Think

> Meet James Ensor

> The End of the Tour

*Factory Showroom - 7*
> S-E-X-X-Y
> How Can I Sing Like a Girl?
> Exquisite Dead Guy
> New York City
> James K. Polk
> Pet Name
> I Can Hear You

*Severe Tire Damage - 2*
> Doctor Worm

> Why Does the Sun Shine? (The Sun Is a Mass of Incandescent Gas)

*Long Tall Weekend - 1*
> Older (Here's hoping it's this version. Or the original.)

*Mink Car - 4*
> Bangs
> Cyclops Rock

> Man, It's So Loud in Here

> Another First Kiss (I don't dislike it nearly as much as some others, but
I don't think it's worthy of a 'best of' album.)

*No! - 2*
> No!
> Robot Parade

*Other - 4*
> Boss of Me
> Dr. Evil
> She's Actual Size (Live) (Better be the best damn Dial-a-Drum Solo ever.
Hickey is my idol, but I'm not so sure about this choice.)
> Spy (Live) (I don't have a problem with this song... but we could have
three studio songs in place of this)
> Stormy Pinkness (Live) (Hopefully not the Emusic version)

My thoughts-

John Henry has FOUR. As far as I'm concerned (and I don't fucking care how
many people think I'm stupid for this), John Henry is its own 'best of'
album.

Also not included:

Where Your Eyes Don't Go (I'm speechless here... they even recognized it as
a fan favorite on Radio TMBG. This should have been one of the easier
choices.)
My Evil Twin
Turn Around
SenSurround (again, more overlooking this song)
Rhythm Section Want Ad
Metal Detector
Spiraling Shape (uh... why?)
The Bells Are Ringing
See the Constellation (one of the best guitar riffs, ever. from any band.)
Four of Two (much better choice for a track from No! than either of the two
listed)
Your Mom's Alright (a lesser choice... remove Another First Kiss and put
this in. If you're going for an overall look of the band, consider the
collaborations you've done. YMA is the best collaboration I can think of...
it's much better than Dr. Evil.)
Rest Awhile
On the Drag
any good B-side tracks... Ondine, Unforgotten, We've Got a World That
Swings, etc

And of course:

Thunderbird
What is Everyone Staring At?
Finished With Lies - Ballad (pleasepleasepleaseplease)
Man, It's So Loud In Here - ROCK (okay, so the studio rock version wasn't
spectacular... but it was still so much cooler overall. Ditch the electronic
stuff, have the horns not sound like they're playing classical music, and...
hell, just rock out. That's what you do, right?)
Tumbleweed
No Answer
Hell Hotel (I really really really want to hear this with the Band of Dans
already... hell, just release it as it is... something)
Triborough Bridge/Triboro/however it's offically known (I can dream, can't
I?...)

...and many more. In place of trying to 'capture the zaniness of the band'
or whatever the hell... I would have 'settled' for 'just' hearing some great
songs. Maybe that's just me...

> They Might Be Giants tour dates:

Come to Ohio. Please. We don't have anything here. If it weren't for Cedar
Point, they would've nuked us already.

-john

makebase

Jun 20, 2002, 4:13:55 PM6/20/02

john m <theymigh...@att.net> wrote in message

> My thoughts-
>
> John Henry has FOUR. As far as I'm concerned (and I don't fucking care how
> many people think I'm stupid for this), John Henry is its own 'best of'
> album.

I don't think you're stupid. I wholeheartedly agree.

They could have just done "Then Again: The Later Years" and included every
post-Bar/None track they've ever recorded. Perhaps that would satisfy more
fans (and cost a BILLION dollars).

--
Shaun
www.tmbg.cc

Mike Buffington

Jun 20, 2002, 4:31:47 PM6/20/02
john m wrote:
> See the Constellation (one of the best guitar riffs, ever. from any band.)

I totally agree! I love that riff... but on radio TMBG they say it was stolen
from a Monkeys song. they never play it live and it would be such a good song to
do live.

Mike

lawrence solomon

Jun 20, 2002, 5:06:19 PM6/20/02

Monkees. And yes, it's basically the opening riff to Last Train to
Clarksville but with a slightly different rhythm. the same riff can
also be found in Moxy Fruvous' "Michigan Militia."

Robert Hutchinson

Jun 20, 2002, 5:05:40 PM6/20/02
Nick2cool says...

> >The two-CD set will include a trio of previously unreleased tracks -- live
> >versions of "She's Actual Size," "Spy" and "Stormy Pinkness"
>
> Who wants to bet the Stormy Pinkness will be the "Love" version from Unlimited?

http://www.billboard.com/billboard/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_
id=1522213

If that's the one recorded in Berlin in 1989, Billboard.com will take
that bet. Note also that it's one of "three previously-unreleased live
recordings." If they want to sell many of these, the liner notes are
going to have to be made of gold.

--
Oh, and Robot Parade's the adult version

Robert Hutchinson |
| "Butterflies are real asses."
| -- Conan O'Brien

ChessPieceFace

Jun 20, 2002, 5:15:25 PM6/20/02
Looking again, I'm most surprised by the omission of Shoehorn. They
play it at every show, and it's surely short enough to cram in there.

Spiraling Shape is a bit of a disappointment as well, just cos I think
musically it's one of their best songs.

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:59:16 GMT, "john m" <theymigh...@att.net>

ChessPieceFace

Jun 20, 2002, 5:21:28 PM6/20/02
Note that Robot Parade is the "Adult" version. Interesting choice,
there.

john m

Jun 20, 2002, 5:49:08 PM6/20/02
"ChessPieceFace" <ChessPi...@fake.fake> wrote in message

> Note that Robot Parade is the "Adult" version. Interesting choice,
> there.

I like it much more than the children's version. I just hope they've
improved it somewhat. The mp3 had terrible panning problems.

-john

why are you reading in this area

Jun 20, 2002, 6:00:36 PM6/20/02
>I totally agree! I love that riff... but on radio TMBG they say it was stolen
>
>from a Monkeys song. they never play it live and it would be such a good song
>do live.

Yeah and that always reminded me of Paperback Writer.

Quinn Collard

Jun 20, 2002, 6:56:39 PM6/20/02
"Otherwise, "Dial-a-Song" is a solid overview of the band's history,
assembled by the label with input from Flansburgh and Linnell."

*With input from*? Well, that explains some things. And yes,
*continuing* to neglect the best album (JH) sucks.

Bryce

Jun 20, 2002, 7:30:22 PM6/20/02
Nick2cool:

> > Who wants to bet the Stormy Pinkness will be
> > the "Love" version from Unlimited?

Robert Hutchinson:

> If that's the one recorded in Berlin in 1989, Billboard.com
> will take that bet.

My file says 1988, but that's probably an error. Tmbg.net has few shows
listed for either year, but none of the 1988 dates are in Europe.

> Note also that it's one of "three previously-unreleased live
> recordings." If they want to sell many of these, the liner
> notes are going to have to be made of gold.

I don't think they're betting the farm on selling it to the likes of us. It's
the casual fans they're after, the ones who used to own Flood but don't
anymore, or have it on cassette or something, or the ones who have yet to go
beyond Boss of Me. But then, I'd think those people aren't as likely to
spring for a two-disc set, so maybe what they're hoping is that we hardcore
fans will buy it to give other people as gifts. I know a bunch of people who
would like to get it.

Bryce

switsawa

Jun 20, 2002, 7:54:52 PM6/20/02

And yes,
> *continuing* to neglect the best album (JH) sucks.
> --

AMEN SISTER!!!!

The world has forgotten...John Henry....

Kevin Sullivan

Jun 20, 2002, 8:26:37 PM6/20/02
On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:37:39 GMT, Quinn Collard
<selfcall...@SPAMARAMAhouston.rr.com> wrote:

>Nick2cool wrote:
>
> >> The two-CD set will include a trio of previously unreleased tracks
> >> -- live versions of "She's Actual Size," "Spy" and "Stormy
> >> Pinkness"
> >>

> > Who wants to bet the Stormy Pinkness will be the "Love" version from
> > Unlimited?
>Haha, that's what I was thinking exactly.
>
>Also, "Most thoroughly represented is the band's best-selling album,
>1990's Flood, from which seven songs were drawn." Right, because that's
>the one people in need of a greatest hits album are least likely to have.
>
>It is a decent list of stuff, I guess...I could whine about some stuff
>that's not included that I really feel should be, but I'm not going to
>bother. But I still don't understand who the target audience of this is.
>I can't imagine liking them enough to be willing to pay for a two-disc
>album ($25-30?) but not enough to just buy everything.
>
>And it better have damn good liner notes.

TMBG seem to have absolutely no idea who their audience is. TMBGU was
obviously only going to appeal to the most die hard fans yet they fed
us crap for 12 months.

This set is nothing short of idiotic. It'll be too expensive for
anyone who is marginally interested in TMBG and die hard fans will
have no interest in it because they already have everything on it. If
they put out a regular Greatest Hits set I'd probably buy it
especially if they tacked on 2 or 3 actual unreleased songs (oh yay, 3
previously released live tracks!) $20 or more for just liner notes is
just insane.

I can not believe that they honestly think this set would sell better
than an actual DAS compilation. What is the reasoning behind that?

I would like to have some of whatever they were smoking when they sat
down and decided this set was a good idea.

The sad part is lots of TMBG fans will run out and buy it just because
it's TMBG and be glad for the opportunity.

TMBG knows they are going to sell this primarily to die hard TMBG fans
so why not just put out a damn DAS collection and sell more copies?

Kevin Sullivan

Jun 20, 2002, 8:27:54 PM6/20/02
On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:54:52 GMT, "switsawa" <swit...@attbi.com>
wrote:

Word. John Henry rocks my world.

Kevin Sullivan

Jun 20, 2002, 8:33:02 PM6/20/02
On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:13:55 -0600, "makebase" <make...@tmbg.cc>
wrote:

>john m <theymigh...@att.net> wrote in message
>>
>> My thoughts-
>>
>> John Henry has FOUR. As far as I'm concerned (and I don't fucking care how
>> many people think I'm stupid for this), John Henry is its own 'best of'
>> album.
>
>I don't think you're stupid. I wholeheartedly agree.

Yeah it's insane that they include almost double the tracks from FS,
an album that has almost half the tracks John Henry does. They
couldn't find a few more tracks out of 20 that were worth including?

This whole set seems like an experiment in doing everything wrong. If
they have the rights to all the Elektra stuff why not release another
b-sides compilation? That would sell 10x as much as this turd.

Sylvan

Jun 20, 2002, 8:45:49 PM6/20/02
"Kevin Sullivan" <ke...@beestung.net> wrote:

Your association with us wacko internet fans has obviously clouded your
perception of reality...like how vastly, vastly outnumbered we are, probably
500 to 1, by people who only own one or two albums, or, more likely, just
downloaded Istanbul and Particle Man off of Napster.
People do buy these 2-disc greatest hits collections. Many, many bands
release them. In fact, I can't think of a single band I like, both more and
less popular than TMBG, that hasn't done one at some point. Record companies
wouldn't still be releasing them if they were unprofitable, would they?
Christ, you act like TMBG's decisions are a personal insult to you.
--
Sylvan
http://www.godcomic.net

Kevin Sullivan

Jun 20, 2002, 8:56:02 PM6/20/02
On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:30:22 -0400, "Bryce" <br...@tmbg.or(somethin)g>
wrote:

The thing is, if you used to own Flood, go buy it for $10 at Best Buy.
If someone was into TMBG they'd buy the albums themselves. If you're a
fan trying to get someone into TMBG (good luck!) you sure aren't going
to buy them a $25 set that they'll probably throw in the garbage.

This set truly has zero appeal. The majority of the sales will be to
die hard fans who simply have to have everything and casual fans who
don't know exactly what they are buying and then regretting it when
they realize what it is.

They should've put out two separate discs. One filled with b-sides and
rare songs (some of which they threw in this set) and a regular
Greatest Hits CD with as many songs as they could fit on an 80 minute
disc. They could fit 35 songs easy on one.

Die hards would probably buy both anyway and the Greatest Hits disc
would be more accessible to the general public. Why that is such a
hard concept I don't know.

This is the band after all that thought $10 was a good price for a 5
song holiday EP with nothing new on it.

Lex

Jun 20, 2002, 9:47:42 PM6/20/02

why are you reading in this area <lsc...@aol.comUSMELL> wrote in message

Hey, that's me!

Lex

Jun 20, 2002, 10:04:54 PM6/20/02
> > She's Actual Size (Live) (Better be the best damn Dial-a-Drum Solo ever.
> Hickey is my idol, but I'm not so sure about this choice.)
> > Spy (Live) (I don't have a problem with this song... but we could have
> three studio songs in place of this)
> > Stormy Pinkness (Live) (Hopefully not the Emusic version)

Forking ship. Now I have to go out and buy it. Damn you, TMBG! Last time
they had three S songs in a row it was actually worth buying...

Asa Pillsbury

Jun 20, 2002, 10:06:10 PM6/20/02

john m wrote:
> > Fingertips (I'm curious to see how they'll do this... if it'll be separate
> tracks or a whole.)

If they do it as separate tracks, this compilation would kick ass when played
randomly.

Also, since it's "assembled by the label", we shouldn't expect it to be exactly
what we diehard fans would want. We're not even its target audience.

Nathan

Jun 20, 2002, 10:36:48 PM6/20/02
"Kevin Sullivan" <ke...@beestung.net> wrote in message

> This is the band after all that thought $10 was a good price for a 5
> song holiday EP with nothing new on it.

Since when does the band set these prices?

Nathan

Bryce

Jun 20, 2002, 10:45:04 PM6/20/02
Kevin Sullivan:

> The thing is, if you used to own Flood, go buy it for $10 at Best Buy.
> If someone was into TMBG they'd buy the albums themselves.

Inspite of what it seems like to us in here, there are more wavelengths in the
fan spectrum than "completionist" and "They must be what?". A former Flood
owner might not have liked everything on Flood, and see that this anthology
has their favorites and some other things they've heard but don't own.

> If you're a fan trying to get someone into TMBG (good luck!)
> you sure aren't going to buy them a $25 set that they'll
> probably throw in the garbage.

This is why you *qualify* all your sales leads. :)

> They should've put out two separate discs. One filled with b-sides and
> rare songs (some of which they threw in this set) and a regular
> Greatest Hits CD with as many songs as they could fit on an 80 minute
> disc. They could fit 35 songs easy on one.
>
> Die hards would probably buy both anyway and the Greatest Hits disc
> would be more accessible to the general public. Why that is such a
> hard concept I don't know.

News flash: this *is* a greatest hits album. Of course there's a stigma
against calling it that, but that's what it is. The not-such-a-hit stuff
(Spider, Fingertips, etc) is bonus material on this greatest hits album.
How's that for an easy concept?

> This is the band after all that thought $10 was a good price for a 5
> song holiday EP with nothing new on it.

I only had two of those tracks in CD-quality form, but of course I'd still
rather have paid $6. :-/

Bryce

jessie

Jun 20, 2002, 10:52:51 PM6/20/02
>The sad part is lots of TMBG fans will run out and buy it just because
>it's TMBG and be glad for the opportunity.

this is me. it's sick.

jessie.

lawrence solomon

Jun 20, 2002, 11:14:04 PM6/20/02

like Nixon was sick.

Asa Pillsbury

Jun 20, 2002, 11:20:49 PM6/20/02

lawrence solomon wrote:
> > this is me. it's sick.
>
> like Nixon was sick.

Nixon's the one.

Bryce

Jun 20, 2002, 11:30:11 PM6/20/02
> > like Nixon was sick.
> Nixon's the one.
I'm the biggest one.

scratch

Jun 20, 2002, 11:38:35 PM6/20/02

That's not a problem. That was done on purpose.

-scratch

scratch

Jun 20, 2002, 11:48:20 PM6/20/02

and Weird Al's I Remember Larry.

And they did do Constellation live a handful of times. Much like Metal
Detector, Why Must I Be Sad/Out Of Jail (yes JH had two), and Hopeless
Bleak Despair. Seems like they tend to pick what could be the best live
song off a particular album and then only do it live like 5 times.

-scratch

scratch

Jun 20, 2002, 11:55:08 PM6/20/02
Okay, i'm going to go out on a limb here and disagree with all of you.
Aside from a few glaring omissions, I don't think this is all that bad
of a song selection. And I do think it would be a good introduction to
TMBG for someone not very familiar with them. It's not what hardcore
fans want, but it's not for hardcore fans.

-scratch

john m

Jun 21, 2002, 12:00:06 AM6/21/02
"scratch" <scr...@the-pentagon.com> wrote in message

Uh... mine is all in the left channel, with occasional scratchiness and
music in the right. That was on purpose?

-john

Asa Pillsbury

Jun 21, 2002, 12:03:45 AM6/21/02

Bryce <br...@tmbg.or(somethin)g> wrote in message

> > > like Nixon was sick.
> > Nixon's the one.
> I'm the biggest one.

You're not the boss of me now and you're not so big.

scratch

Jun 21, 2002, 12:13:06 AM6/21/02

Yes. It's like Edith Head.

-scratch

john m

Jun 21, 2002, 12:22:49 AM6/21/02

> Yes. It's like Edith Head.

In that case...

I like it much more than the children's version. I just hope they've

improved it somewhat. The mp3 had terrible panning.

-john

Dave

Jun 21, 2002, 12:39:29 AM6/21/02
In article <i0t4hucn57qsbgcdo...@4ax.com>,
Kevin Sullivan <ke...@beestung.net> wrote:

> If
> they have the rights to all the Elektra stuff why not release another
> b-sides compilation?

do they though? this album is out on rhino records... could it be that
rhino got the rights from elektra to put these tracks on this album? or
am i an idiot and they absolutely have the rights to all their elektra
songs, or something.

other stuff... most people on the newsgroup are saying it's a stupid
idea to release it like this... that casual fans arent gonna put down
the $30 (or whatever) for it, and hardcore fans just for the sake of
owning it. well, i know a lot of people who are casual fans or
whatever, and dont own many albums, but are genuinely itno tmbg, and
would buy it. that describes most of my friends who listen to them.
and, for big fans, it's your choice whether or not you'll want to own it
just for the sake of owning it. i certainly will buy it, get it
autographed, and put it away on my shelf, most likely.

oh and whoever was complaining that the holidayland ep was too pricey at
$10, you're a sucker if you paid full price... i think i got mine for
under $9 including shipping

Nathan

Jun 21, 2002, 1:02:04 AM6/21/02
"Asa Pillsbury" <alth...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

The big big whoredom scares me.

Nathan

Nathan

Jun 21, 2002, 1:04:08 AM6/21/02
"lawrence solomon" <za...@fruhead.com> wrote in message

> Mike Buffington wrote:
> > john m wrote:
> >
> >>See the Constellation (one of the best guitar riffs, ever. from any
band.)

> > I totally agree! I love that riff... but on radio TMBG they say it was
stolen
> > from a Monkeys song. they never play it live and it would be such a good
song to
> > do live.
>
> Monkees. And yes, it's basically the opening riff to Last Train to
> Clarksville but with a slightly different rhythm.

I thought it was "Pleasant Valley Sunday," at least accordingly to the
notoriously inaccurate Radio TMBG captions.

Nathan

Nick2cool

Jun 21, 2002, 1:37:51 AM6/21/02
>this album is out on rhino records... could it be that
>rhino got the rights from elektra to put these tracks on this album?

Rhino is owned by Warner. Electra is owned by Warner. I would assume that
Rhino getting the rights for the Electra era material was a fairly simple all
in the family thing...

-Nick

Jim Ellwanger

Jun 21, 2002, 1:43:50 AM6/21/02
In article <alpaca2500-33C6F...@nnrp01.earthlink.net>,
Dave <alpac...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> In article <i0t4hucn57qsbgcdo...@4ax.com>,
> Kevin Sullivan <ke...@beestung.net> wrote:
>
> > If they have the rights to all the Elektra stuff why not release
> > another b-sides compilation?
>
> do they though? this album is out on rhino records... could it be that
> rhino got the rights from elektra to put these tracks on this album? or
> am i an idiot and they absolutely have the rights to all their elektra
> songs, or something.

Rhino and Elektra are both divisions of the Warner Music Group. I'm not
sure exactly how the economics work, with the money being transferred
from one division to another, but presumably Rhino got a pretty good
deal on the reissue rights for the Elektra tracks.

(Not that anyone cares about my opinion, but my main quibble with the
song selection is the absence of "Sleeping in the Flowers.")

--
Jim Ellwanger <trai...@mindspring.com>
<http://trainman1.home.mindspring.com> welcomes you daily.

scratch

Jun 21, 2002, 2:03:21 AM6/21/02

That's what they said, but, well, listen to the two songs and see what
it sounds like to you.

-scratch
People Are Wrong

only just a hat

Jun 21, 2002, 2:06:11 AM6/21/02

There's a feeling of boredom of the big whoredom.

~Rappaccini's Daughter
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
I believe in everything; nothing is sacred.
I believe in nothing; everything is sacred.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

Kevin Sullivan

Jun 21, 2002, 4:04:14 AM6/21/02
On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:45:49 -0400, Sylvan <psi...@mindspring.com>
wrote:

I dunno, I just don't see a 2 disc TMBG Greatest Hits set selling all
that well. Certainly no more and probably much less than a set filled
with demos and outtakes would sell.

Personally I can't think of a single band I like that *has* done a 2
disc Greatest Hits. The closest thing would be Smashing Pumpkins who
included a *free* b-sides and rarities disc along with their Greatest
Hits disc. ($12 for 30+ songs, 12 or so of which were never before
released.)

I don't take it personally I just don't get TMBG sometimes, and it
isn't just me either, everybody seems to think this set is just a bad
idea. Let's face it, TMBG aren't Billy Joel or Pink Floyd...

The stupidest thing about the set is that with all of the unreleased
material they have they didn't even bother to put on a few new tracks.
3 live tracks is not much of an incentive for fans to shell out $25.
The thing has *52* tracks. They could've peppered 8-10 new songs over
the two discs and it'd make it a much better purchase for fans.

I have no problem with TMBG trying to make a set that is primarily
intended for non-fans, it just doesn't make any sense for them to go
out of their way to make it so UNappealing for their fans. 8-10 new
songs and you're still left with 42-44 classic TMBG tunes. They aren't
going to sell any less copies to those non-fans because of that and
instead they'd sell a lot more copies to their fans and everyone is
happy. That's just good business.

I'm really curious to see how many copies the set actually ends up
selling.

Kevin Sullivan

Jun 21, 2002, 4:16:44 AM6/21/02
On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:45:04 -0400, "Bryce" <br...@tmbg.or(somethin)g>
wrote:

>Kevin Sullivan:
>> The thing is, if you used to own Flood, go buy it for $10 at Best Buy.
>> If someone was into TMBG they'd buy the albums themselves.
>
>Inspite of what it seems like to us in here, there are more wavelengths in the
>fan spectrum than "completionist" and "They must be what?". A former Flood
>owner might not have liked everything on Flood, and see that this anthology
>has their favorites and some other things they've heard but don't own.

And how many people in the world do you think fall into that
category?:)

<snip>

>> Die hards would probably buy both anyway and the Greatest Hits disc
>> would be more accessible to the general public. Why that is such a
>> hard concept I don't know.
>
>News flash: this *is* a greatest hits album. Of course there's a stigma
>against calling it that, but that's what it is. The not-such-a-hit stuff
>(Spider, Fingertips, etc) is bonus material on this greatest hits album.
>How's that for an easy concept?

It's not a greatest hits album, it's a greatest hits *double* album.
My point is that it doesn't need to be. I guess the extra money they
make off of it being double the price will be more than the money they
won't make from people who avoid it because it's too expensive. After
all, one sale of a 2 disc set is the same as two sales of a single
disc.

And it isn't bonus material if you're paying for it. A whole disc
worth of "bonus" material is a lot for someone to swallow who is just
interested in the "hits" which could have easily been collected on one
disc with room for an extra 10 "bonus" tracks.

Kevin Sullivan

Jun 21, 2002, 4:21:28 AM6/21/02
On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 04:39:29 GMT, Dave <alpac...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

I was complaining, but I never bought it. It was a matter of being
overpriced in addition to not having anything new on it. I'm sure I
could've gotten the thing for $3 off of eBay.

Whoever came up with the $10 price tag when the EP is sitting next to
all their albums selling for $11.99-$14.99 was a friggin' genius :p

Kevin Sullivan

Jun 21, 2002, 4:25:50 AM6/21/02
On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 03:48:20 GMT, scratch <scr...@the-pentagon.com>
wrote:

Heh, I've seen them do Metal Detector a few times. It was one of the
few songs I've ever seen them do as a request that wasn't on the
setlist anyway (like someone yelling out for Particle Man:p).

They were all set to start a song and someone yelled out for it and
Linnell was like, "You want to hear Metal Detector? OK."

I was a happy man:)

The Bells are Ringing definitely takes the cake though. That song
rocks live.

lawrence solomon

Jun 21, 2002, 10:46:02 AM6/21/02
scratch wrote:

> And they did do Constellation live a handful of times. Much like Metal
> Detector, Why Must I Be Sad/Out Of Jail (yes JH had two), and Hopeless
> Bleak Despair. Seems like they tend to pick what could be the best live
> song off a particular album and then only do it live like 5 times.

Constellation was more than a handful. It was pretty much the entire
fall 1992 tour. they usually played it after Stump the Band. but it
was never played after that. so, like Metal Detector and the others, it
was only on the tour for the album it was on (although MD showed up a
few times in 1997 and 1998 - once Danny joined, they couldn't do it,
because it requires a 5-string bass)

lawrence solomon

Jun 21, 2002, 10:46:42 AM6/21/02
only just a hat wrote:
>>"Asa Pillsbury" <alth...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Bryce <br...@tmbg.or(somethin)g> wrote in message

>>>You're not the boss of me now and you're not so big.
>>
>>The big big whoredom scares me.
>

> There's a feeling of boredom of the big whoredom.

which describes how you're feeling all the time.

scratch

Jun 21, 2002, 11:18:06 AM6/21/02
lawrence solomon wrote:
>>> The big big whoredom scares me.
>> There's a feeling of boredom of the big whoredom.
> which describes how you're feeling all the time.

Time is marching on.

-scratch
one more! one more!

lawrence solomon

Jun 21, 2002, 11:55:37 AM6/21/02

or the time when the storm tangled up the wire.

scratch

Jun 21, 2002, 12:14:23 PM6/21/02

Underneath the gathering thunderstorm.

-scratch

Robert Hutchinson

Jun 21, 2002, 12:22:34 PM6/21/02
ChessPieceFace says...

> Note that Robot Parade is the "Adult" version. Interesting choice,
> there.

I'll note it again.

--
This is why I shouldn't put information in my signature block

Robert Hutchinson |
| "Butterflies are real asses."
| -- Conan O'Brien

Bryce

Jun 21, 2002, 12:31:58 PM6/21/02
Robert Hutchinson:

> ChessPieceFace says...
> > Note that Robot Parade is the "Adult" version. Interesting
> > choice, there.
>
> I'll note it again.

Yeah, maybe you should avoid putting information in your signature block. :)

Bryce
Unnoticed by few.

Kaylum

Jun 21, 2002, 12:35:16 PM6/21/02
I found a new friend underneath my pillow.

Kay

Quinn Collard

Jun 21, 2002, 12:39:50 PM6/21/02
Kaylum wrote:

As I went through the pillow, I noticed something.

--
Quinn {selfcall...@houston.rr.com, AIM:lazeebunny}
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/quinncorner/index.html

"The healing doesn't stop the feeling."
~They Might Be Giants

lawrence solomon

Jun 21, 2002, 1:11:55 PM6/21/02
Quinn Collard wrote:
> Kaylum wrote:

>>> Underneath the gathering thunderstorm.
>>>

>> I found a new friend underneath my pillow.
>
> As I went through the pillow, I noticed something.

something grabbed ahold of my hand.

Robert Hutchinson

Jun 21, 2002, 1:45:52 PM6/21/02
Bryce says...

I'll do that.

--
*I'm* responsible for the anthology track selection! *I* did it! Hahaha!!

jessie

Jun 21, 2002, 4:07:44 PM6/21/02

>>> Time is marching on.
>> or the time when the storm tangled up the wire.
> Underneath the gathering thunderstorm.
>>> I found a new friend underneath my pillow.
>> As I went through the pillow, I noticed something.
>something grabbed ahold of my hand.

i held your hand, you held mine; it was the best night of my life.

jessie.
mwahaha.

switsawa

Jun 21, 2002, 4:49:23 PM6/21/02

"lawrence solomon" <za...@fruhead.com> wrote in message

How may I give you a hand from the position at your feet where I stand?

Your indolent friend,
Jenn

Mo The Best2468

Jun 21, 2002, 5:29:48 PM6/21/02

Stand on your own head for a change

*~*~*Mo*~*~*

Sylvan

Jun 21, 2002, 6:58:45 PM6/21/02

I am a human head.
--
Sylvan
http://www.godcomic.net
"The hamster is still dead." --Leonard Nimoy

only just a hat

Jun 21, 2002, 11:12:10 PM6/21/02

>>> How may I give you a hand from the position at your feet where I stand?
>>>

>> Stand on your own head for a change
>
>I am a human head.

There's never been a head like this before.

Mo The Best2468

Jun 22, 2002, 8:41:27 AM6/22/02

>>> Stand on your own head for a change
>>
>>I am a human head.
>
>There's never been a head like this before.

She Thinks She's Edith Head

*~*~*Mo*~*~*

Lex

Jun 22, 2002, 10:28:40 AM6/22/02

Mo The Best2468 <motheb...@aol.com> wrote in message

I'll stop thinking what I shouldn't be thinking.

Lex

Jun 22, 2002, 10:30:06 AM6/22/02

> Okay, i'm going to go out on a limb here and disagree with all of you.
> Aside from a few glaring omissions, I don't think this is all that bad
> of a song selection. And I do think it would be a good introduction to
> TMBG for someone not very familiar with them. It's not what hardcore
> fans want, but it's not for hardcore fans.
>
> -scratch

Right. For instance, a hardcore porn fan wouldn't want a Playboy, but
Playboy isn't directed towards fans of harcore porn.

lawrence solomon

Jun 22, 2002, 11:16:58 AM6/22/02

she's actual size, but she seems much bigger to me.

scratch

Jun 22, 2002, 1:40:15 PM6/22/02
Lex wrote:

> Right. For instance, a hardcore porn fan wouldn't want a Playboy, but
> Playboy isn't directed towards fans of harcore porn.

Haha, precisely.

-scratch

Robert Hutchinson

Jun 22, 2002, 1:58:10 PM6/22/02
Lex says...
> Mo The Best2468 wrote ...

Red means stop. Do not go.

--
Now that the subject's changed ...

only just a hat

Jun 23, 2002, 12:11:00 AM6/23/02

>stand?

>> > She Thinks She's Edith Head
>>
>> I'll stop thinking what I shouldn't be thinking.
>
>Red means stop. Do not go.

So the warm blood flows with the red blood cells lacking nuclei through the
large four-chambered heart

only just a hat

Jun 23, 2002, 12:14:53 AM6/23/02

I am an actual worm.

Asa Pillsbury

Jun 23, 2002, 1:12:45 AM6/23/02

only just a hat wrote:

> >> She Thinks She's Edith Head
> >
> >she's actual size, but she seems much bigger to me.
>
> I am an actual worm.

I am not your broom.

Mo The Best2468

Jun 23, 2002, 9:43:37 AM6/23/02

>>stand?

>>> I'll stop thinking what I shouldn't be thinking.
>>
>>Red means stop. Do not go.
>
>So the warm blood flows with the red blood cells lacking nuclei through the
>large four-chambered heart

I'm having a heart-attack

*~*~*Mo*~*~*

Nathan Mulac DeHoff

Jun 23, 2002, 12:23:32 PM6/23/02
Mo:

Don't break the heart that needs you.

(Ack! Why am I doing this again?)

Nathan
Dinne...@tmbg.org
http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/
"And the silver chauffeur says it's all in your head, when you're 24 karat
dead." --They Might Be Giants

only just a hat

Jun 23, 2002, 10:48:16 PM6/23/02

I'm your only friend, I'm not your only friend.

only just a hat

Jun 23, 2002, 10:50:41 PM6/23/02

Don't let's start, I've got a weak heart.

Toad-O

Jun 23, 2002, 11:37:16 PM6/23/02

> >stand?
> >> I am an actual worm.
> >I am not your broom.
> I'm your only friend, I'm not your only friend.

Cow's a friend to me.

Toad-O

Jun 23, 2002, 11:39:05 PM6/23/02

Do this -- No! Don't do that -- No!

only just a hat

Jun 24, 2002, 12:13:41 AM6/24/02

Everyone's your friend in New York City.

only just a hat

Jun 24, 2002, 12:15:52 AM6/24/02

Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, can you repeat the question?

Lex

Jun 26, 2002, 7:04:56 PM6/26/02
> The Bells are Ringing definitely takes the cake though. That song
> rocks live.

I hate you. Not really.

Lex

Jun 26, 2002, 7:05:11 PM6/26/02