What happened last night Toad's Place, New Haven CANCELLED!

root

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

What the hell happened last night? One of them better had died or
something (or some other good excuse :)...seriously, why as the show
postponed..its reschudled for 2-20-96

Neil Kelly

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/13/96

Actually, depending on how you look at it, it could be a good thing. If
they didn't cancel, I would have missed them. ;)

-n

If it's really a concern - as in you *need* to see them now, there's
Poughkeepsie on Sunday.

GoodOmenz

Dec 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/14/96

>If it's really a concern - as in you *need* to see them now, there's
Poughkeepsie on Sunday.

actually, it may be a rumor but i heard that was cancelled too.. maybe
theyre just really down about the stuff. i know i would be. so its the
20th in new haven? a thursday. lovely
~liz

Beth A Barrett-Worthington

Dec 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/15/96

This is only a guess, but I thought I'd throw it out there for
consideration. I went to Toad's place for a show this summer, Weird Al's
"Bad Hair Tour". I noticed they tend to keep selling tickets till they
can't squeeze anymore in. I was standing in the MIDDLE of the room, and
my arms were pinned to my sides, and I was having trouble breathing. No
one could mosh, thats how crammed it was. They wouldn't start the show
till the people in the front moved back, but they couldn't because there
was literally no where to go. AND it was an all ages show, I watched
parents try to hold 8-yr-olds on there backs for 2 hours so they could
see, and so they weren't crushed.

If TMBG chose not to play based on Toad's "Pack 'em in" policy,
(espicially since I am sure they would draw an even bigger crowd)
Then I say more power to em.

I could go on, but it would just be me venting my anger. Let the flames
begin.

Beth

"That which does not kill us, makes us stranger."
-Trevor Goodchild @--,---'---,--'---
from "Aeon Flux" ba...@hopper.unh.edu

Neil Kelly

Dec 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/15/96

Beth A Barrett-Worthington wrote:

> This is only a guess, but I thought I'd throw it out there for
> consideration. I went to Toad's place for a show this summer, Weird Al's
> "Bad Hair Tour". I noticed they tend to keep selling tickets till they
> can't squeeze anymore in.

So it's not just me who hates Toad's for that? Good. It gets so much
worse when you have the mosh-dudes along with it....

Mike Volkmar

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96

Luis Alcazar-Roman wrote:

> In article <32B4FC...@ct2.nai.net>,
> .
> As insane as this must sound, the concert was cancelled because Toad's
> could not sell enough tickets. That was what I was told when I asked them
> about it.
>
> -Luis
>
> .
My last all ages concert at Toad's was TMBG after Apollo 18 and that
will stay the last time. My wife almost went nuts with claustraphobia
and she's not clautraphobic.

Oh to have "The Grotto" back!

the Volkman

GoodOmenz

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

>As insane as this must sound, the concert was cancelled because Toad's
could not sell enough tickets. That was what I was told when I asked them
>about it.
yes, i believe theyd sold a grand total of *drum roll* _12_ before the day
of the show... betcha we could find everyone who's got one online too..
could be wrong
~liz
dead rites now

Benjamin Handler

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

I was rather pissed that Toad's never announced that the show was cancelled.
As far as I know, the sign is still up in their window. Anyway, the concert
has been postponed until Feb twenty-something. The guy who refunded my
ticket said that they might have cancelled because of poor pre-concert ticket
sales, but that doesn't really seem to hold water. If anyone knows what
happened, let me know

Neil Kelly

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

GoodOmenz wrote:

> >As insane as this must sound, the concert was cancelled because Toad's
> could not sell enough tickets. That was what I was told when I asked them
> >about it.
> yes, i believe theyd sold a grand total of *drum roll* _12_ before the day
> of the show...

Makes sense, since there was NO promotion of it; at least not that I
heard - here in Danbury. And yes, I listen to Radio 104... ;)

Thor Lancelot Simon

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

In article <19961218180...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
Plaguerat2 <plagu...@aol.com> wrote:
>hey everyone...
>
> as that ive been to at least 50 or so Toad's shows in the last two
>years...let me shed some light on the subject. Toad's is probably the
>nicest club in CT, and one of the only ones that continuosly gets big name

You've gotta be kidding. Every time I've been there I've walked out wondering
if the _entire_ New Haven sewer system was stuck to the bottom of my shoes.

>acts. Every past they might be giants show i've gone to has been packed
>there..and they do continue to sell tickets after they've sold out... The
>rumor about twelve tickets is bullshit because i personaly went with 25
>people who had tickets and were really pissed at the cancellation..friends
>came all the way from new york and mass.. The biggest problem with the
>show was scheduling. TMBG's biggeszt fan base is college age kids and

Yeah, finals week is an awful time to have a show in a college town, which
for the purposes of entertainment is what New Haven really is. But if the
guys who ran Toad's weren't dumb, they wouldn't overfill the place. Just
like everything else in New Haven, though, you can get away with violating
the fire code in your club so long as you throw enough dough to Demery to
pay off the cops.

>below. New haven has a big punk scene most of which is under 21 years old.
>The concert date was dec 11...smack dab in the middle of finals week for
>Yale, Sacred Heart, Ffld U, Southern, Eastern, Western, UCONN and just
>about every other college. I had about 100 people that wanted to go but
>couldn't due to finals the next day. I of course realizing waht was really
>important said screw finals lets conga.. and was highly disapointed.

Yep, real dumb. Of course the New Haven cops/Demery's little club mafia/
real estate developers are still trying as hard as they can to shut down
the only place in town that always has under-21 shows. New Haven's an OK
place to be a kid but you've gotta keep your eyes open to see what shows
they'll let you into this week.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon t...@panix.COM

Stumbling drunk in the railyard looking for God: http://www.panix.com/~tls/

Plaguerat2

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

[...]

see you feb 20..

~-=the plaguerat=-~
now rotating in the cd changer........

sublime - 40 oz to freedom
spring heeled jack - static world view
blood hound gang - use your fingers
they might be giants - factory showroom (advanced promo edition)
bad religion - all ages

can be reached at 045...@sacredheart.edu after jan 15

VICTOR BUDNICK

Dec 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/23/96

It must have been more than 12 because I know of more than 12 ppl
in my school who had tickets. By the way, I hear that they're
gonna try Toad's again in febuary.

Plaguerat2

Dec 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/31/96

the toad's show is rescheduled for february 20....