Mancow appearance

Kevin Jones

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
I woke up this morning to my alarm clock-radio and heard: "And we'll have
They Might Be Giants in the studio in a few minutes!" Thank God I had a
tape ready. So here's the lowdown for anyone who didn't catch it:

As usual with Mancow, not much of an interview. They talked a little
about how blacks don't like their music (I think Mancow really offended
them.) Then They offered to play any song requested, which Mancow thought
was pretty cool. They played part of The Statue Got Me High, Birdhouse In
Your Soul, Your Racist Friend, New York City, and probably a few more
after I had to go to class. Mancow tried to sound like a hardcore fan,
but that's hard to believe when he kept saying "Birdhouse in My Soul."
Still, it was nice to hear John's explanation of Doctor Worm and
Birdhouse.

BTW, I usually hate Mancow, but found him tolerable during the whole
thing. Probably because he kissed their butts. Still....he was being
kind of mean about Hal's coughing.

Anything I missed? Any other comments?

Kevin Jones

Emble

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98

>As usual with Mancow, not much of an interview. They talked a little
>about how blacks don't like their music (I think Mancow really offended
>them.)

Aw, man, you've GOT to post a transcript of this part. You've just GOT to.
Pleeease?

ALeigh992

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98

>Still, it was nice to hear John's explanation of Doctor Worm and
>Birdhouse.

which was?? Please be more specific :-)
Aleigh
Check it out! Check it totally out!! --> http://i.am/not_your_broom

"We like the music, but the music's not too fond of us" John Flansburgh 8-28-98

remove NOSPAM to reply

Amanda Cohen

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98
Kevin Jones wrote:

> I woke up this morning to my alarm clock-radio and heard: "And we'll have
> They Might Be Giants in the studio in a few minutes!" Thank God I had a
> tape ready. So here's the lowdown for anyone who didn't catch it:

I heard this too, thanks to a friend at work.

> As usual with Mancow, not much of an interview. They talked a little
> about how blacks don't like their music (I think Mancow really offended
> them.)

It was Mancow who suggested that "black people don't like your music," and
ironically he made this comment after They had played "Your Racist Friend."
I don't think the Cow got the subtlety of that song. They disagreed with
his comment.

> Then They offered to play any song requested, which Mancow thought
> was pretty cool. They played part of The Statue Got Me High, Birdhouse In
> Your Soul, Your Racist Friend, New York City, and probably a few more
> after I had to go to class. Mancow tried to sound like a hardcore fan,
> but that's hard to believe when he kept saying "Birdhouse in My Soul."

It was pretty clear that Mancow is not a massive fan. I think he was just
happy to have Them, especially when WXRT was actually the sponsor for the
show, instead of his station.

> Still, it was nice to hear John's explanation of Doctor Worm and
> Birdhouse.

I missed those, but I did hear Them saying (and admitting They were tired
of saying again and again) that YES their songs had meanings, but NO they
were not secret coded meanings. They explained "Statue" as being a song
about a guy who looks at a statue and bursts into flames. Pretty
straightforward, eh?

> BTW, I usually hate Mancow, but found him tolerable during the whole
> thing. Probably because he kissed their butts. Still....he was being
> kind of mean about Hal's coughing.

Especially since you couldn't even hear it on the radio. Pretty unfair to
the listeners when he's bitching about something that's just bugging him...

But it was great to hear THEM that morning, 'cause I had tickets to the
show that night and it capped off a great week of searching for interviews
and stuff online to get psyched up. Awesome show.

I don't know if they mentioned it on Saturday, but on Friday's show, after
they did "Exquisite Dead Guy" with the puppet heads, They noted that there
had been some controversy on the newsgroup (yeah, that's us!) about how
they weren't really singing on that song. Flansburgh looked all hurt and
said they spent all that time learning to throw their voices for that
bit...and we didn't appreciate it... :-)

Also cool, during part of that song, Flansburgh floated his puppet head
over the audience down front, so they had a chance to touch the puppet
head. When it became evident that they might damage or destroy the puppet
head, he quickly removed it to a safe distance. Honestly, people.

But we at the Friday show did not get to f--king conga.

-Amanda

PS: Hi, Emble! Hi, Bookworm!

--
"Decorative spires count as structure my @ss!" -- Marty Lick

Jesse W.

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98

> I don't know if they mentioned it on Saturday, but on Friday's show,
after
> they did "Exquisite Dead Guy" with the puppet heads, They noted that
there
> had been some controversy on the newsgroup (yeah, that's us!) about how
> they weren't really singing on that song. Flansburgh looked all hurt and
> said they spent all that time learning to throw their voices for that
> bit...and we didn't appreciate it... :-)

Ooooh! I was the one who started that controversey! Well! This almost makes
up for when I swallowed my tongue when John and John appeared in front of
the theatre they were playing, and I didn't say anything!
~Jesse

malcolm...@lucent.com

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
In article <361811...@tezcat.com>,
Amanda Cohen <ama...@tezcat.com> wrote:

> But we at the Friday show did not get to f--king conga.
>
> -Amanda

Amanda,

Sorry you didn't get to Conga :-( We Conga'd on the Saturday night! It seemed
like a better atmosphere on Saturday (I went to both nights, I had to after
flying all the way from the UK to see them ;-)

Malc.

Emble

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98

>> But we at the Friday show did not get to f--king conga.

You've gotta fight to conga. They didn't call a conga for NKMP on Saturday but
I grabbed one of my lustier TMBG friends at the show and we DID IT! Went a
full circle, round the back and right back to stage front!

(hang on, the phrasing makes it sound like I did better than that 16 year old
guy) -

Anyway, I'm damn proud!

EM