Unreleased albums/projects?

Doctor Thomas B. Who

Mar 2, 2003, 5:12:11 PM3/2/03
I know about "Superfueled" already, but what other unreleased TMBG albums &
projects are there?

dazreel

Mar 2, 2003, 6:38:22 PM3/2/03
"Doctor Thomas B. Who" <wa3...@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message

> I know about "Superfueled" already, but what other unreleased TMBG albums
&
> projects are there?

"Superfueled Freaksicle" was just a title that was once suggest by Linnell
for a second compilation of rarities. Its not an album thats sitting there
waiting to be released. We all imagined that it would contain the B-Sides
from the Elektra years, as a follow up to Miscellaneous T. With the release
of "They Got Lost", minus all that material, it seems less likely. But, you
could say that its an unfinished project, I suppose.

Other projects that have been at least mentioned as 'concepts' either by the
band or by fans include:

* State Songs Volume 2 - John Linnell
* Dial-A-Song compilation (What WE want)
* TMBG studio album #8 (2003?)
* Interactive DVD (Flans mentioned this in an interview)

Steven

Mar 2, 2003, 6:48:49 PM3/2/03

> Other projects that have been at least mentioned as 'concepts' either by the
> band or by fans include:
>
> * State Songs Volume 2 - John Linnell
> * Dial-A-Song compilation (What WE want)
> * TMBG studio album #8 (2003?)
> * Interactive DVD (Flans mentioned this in an interview)

Flans also mentioned he wanted to release a box set of Malcolm
instruments, and a live horn orchestra show album

dazreel

Mar 2, 2003, 7:46:09 PM3/2/03
"Steven" <stev...@comcast.net> wrote in message

* State Songs Volume 2 - John Linnell
* Dial-A-Song compilation (What WE want)
* TMBG studio album #8 (2003?)
* Interactive DVD (Flans mentioned this in an interview)

* Malcolm instrumentals
* Live horn orchestra show album

* Edison Museum sessions EP

Nathew McMackenmac

Mar 3, 2003, 12:39:18 AM3/3/03
"dazreel" <asifimgo...@poop.com> wrote in message news:<b3u4l9$ds3$1$8300...@news.demon.co.uk>...

I would count Misc. T and No! in the studio album list, so then we'd
be waiting for album #10.. i think. i can see why you wouldn't include
Misc. T, since it's kind of a compilation, but a studio children's
album is still a studio album.

Some people are speculating that there might be an album this year,
but i highly doubt it, unless TMBG really are being silent about it
having learned a lesson from Mink Car. I know that TMBG are planning
on releasing a children's book to go with No! this year, at least
that's what they said on the Call-For-Helpathon. It seems like if they
were trying to make up for all the big breaks by releasing albums
either every year or every couple years, then they should have an
album out this or next year.

my guess is that there will be an album next year, and i'll be
overjoyed if they have songs like thunderbird, museum of idiots, no
answer, and au contraire on it (is it too late to hope for tiny
doctors??). too bad they already (tinkered with and) released it's so
loud in here, the original version probably would've gone great with
thunderbird.

Kaylum

Mar 3, 2003, 5:46:26 AM3/3/03
>I know that TMBG are planning
>on releasing a children's book to go with No! this year, at least
>that's what they said on the Call-For-Helpathon.

Linnell also confirmed during one of the Joe's Pub shows that the song the book
would be "Bed, Bed, Bed" and the company publishing the book will be Simon and
Schuster.

Kay

Robert Hutchinson

Mar 4, 2003, 9:19:10 PM3/4/03
Doctor Thomas B. Who says...

> I know about "Superfueled" already, but what other unreleased TMBG albums &
> projects are there?

Didn't they once say that they were toying with expanding "Battle of the
Bands" to a full album?

--
Robert Hutchinson | "Aww, I HATE being the human shield."

| -- Quait Fat, _Dynasty Memory_ Part 9,
| Brian Clevinger, nuklearpower.com

Kevin Sullivan

Mar 5, 2003, 6:52:10 PM3/5/03
On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 02:19:10 GMT, Robert Hutchinson
<ser...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Doctor Thomas B. Who says...
>> I know about "Superfueled" already, but what other unreleased TMBG albums &
>> projects are there?
>
>Didn't they once say that they were toying with expanding "Battle of the
>Bands" to a full album?

Yeah I think they said in the Unlimited "liner notes" that it was one
of those things they'd like to do but probably never would...

Kevin Sullivan

Mar 5, 2003, 7:04:01 PM3/5/03
On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 23:52:10 GMT, Kevin Sullivan <ke...@beestung.net>
wrote:

Here's the quote from the last installment of UnLTD (the "Best of"
issue)

"The Battle of the Bands is where John and I pretend we are other
people and write songs for imaginary bands. We hope to do more with
this project someday, but til then we have Unlimited to thank for
getting the ball rolling. "

Nathan

Mar 9, 2003, 5:31:57 PM3/9/03
"Nathew McMackenmac" <guita...@msn.com> wrote in message

> "dazreel" <asifimgo...@poop.com> wrote in message
> > Other projects that have been at least mentioned as 'concepts' either by
the
> > band or by fans include:
> >
> > * State Songs Volume 2 - John Linnell
> > * Dial-A-Song compilation (What WE want)
> > * TMBG studio album #8 (2003?)
> > * Interactive DVD (Flans mentioned this in an interview)
>

> I would count Misc. T and No! in the studio album list, so then we'd
> be waiting for album #10.. i think. i can see why you wouldn't include
> Misc. T, since it's kind of a compilation, but a studio children's
> album is still a studio album.

Factory Showroom is specifically identified as "They Might Be Giants' Sixth
Album," so we know they don't count Misc. T. Beyond FS, though, it's up for
debate. I'd say Mink Car and No! definitely count. I'm not sure whether
Long Tall Weekend and They Got Lost should count, but I'd say Severe Tire
Damage probably shouldn't, and Then and Dial-A-Song definitely shouldn't.

Nathan

Mike

Mar 10, 2003, 5:14:24 PM3/10/03
"dazreel" <asifimgo...@poop.com> wrote in message news:<b3u4l9$ds3$1$8300...@news.demon.co.uk>...

> "Superfueled Freaksicle" was just a title that was once suggest by Linnell
> for a second compilation of rarities. Its not an album thats sitting there
> waiting to be released. We all imagined that it would contain the B-Sides
> from the Elektra years, as a follow up to Miscellaneous T. With the release
> of "They Got Lost", minus all that material, it seems less likely. But, you
> could say that its an unfinished project, I suppose.

au contraire!! the album WAS apparantly finished and ready-to-go. Ask
anyone who handles incoming-inventory at an HMV at the time *cough
cough* and they'll remember that it had a scheduled release-date of
10/24/95. (Well, some might not remember as precisely as I. ;} ) In
an interview around the time, (perhaps Linnell's long interview in
"Music & Computers" magazine, although that might've been a few months
later), it was mentioned that SF would be a comp of the elektra
b-sides plus a handful of other elektra-sessions from the era
(including the studio version of Queen's "We Will Rock You",
originally recorded for the Rubaiyat CD, which Flans had alluded to
perhaps being on SF and claiming to have the only DAT of.)

So, long story short, it's safe to assume that the CD was never
actually printed, though I'd bet dollars-to-donuts there's a
DAT-master (or even CD glass-master) with a proper tracklisting
sitting on a shelf at Elektra somewhere.

> Other projects that have been at least mentioned as 'concepts' either by the
> band or by fans include:
>

> * Dial-A-Song compilation (What WE want)

over 2 hours of vintage DAS stuff was remastered in '96, half an hour
of which was what made it onto "Then"... perhaps the rest will surface
someday??...

~MW.
----
"It's toe-tappingly tragic!"

scratch

Mar 12, 2003, 10:50:47 PM3/12/03
Robert Hutchinson wrote:
> Doctor Thomas B. Who says...
>
>>I know about "Superfueled" already, but what other unreleased TMBG albums &
>>projects are there?
>

> Didn't they once say that they were toying with expanding "Battle of the
> Bands" to a full album?

They didn't even have enough stuff to do two full Unlimited months.

-scratch

Lex

Mar 15, 2003, 11:45:46 PM3/15/03

"scratch" <scr...@the-pentagon.com> wrote in message

Haha oh the irony. Should have been called "Severely Limited." Don't mind
me, I'm like tripping but without the drugs. He!

Jay G

Mar 17, 2003, 10:24:35 PM3/17/03

"Lex" <msi...@stny.rr.com> wrote ...

> "scratch" <scr...@the-pentagon.com> wrote in message
> >
> > They didn't even have enough stuff to do two full Unlimited months.
>
> Haha oh the irony. Should have been called "Severely Limited." Don't mind
> me, I'm like tripping but without the drugs. He!

"Drug trip, it's not a drug trip...."

-Jay

M. Westward

Apr 15, 2003, 8:11:45 AM4/15/03
So if SF is/was simply a compilation of B-Sides post Miscelleneous T.
then it should look a little something like this, right?

SuperFueled Freaksicle

1. James K. Polk (original version)
2. Stormy Pinkness
3. Ant
4. Istanbul (not Constantinople) (Brownsville Mix)
5. Cabbagetown
6. Siftin'
7. Larger than Life
8. The Guitar (Williamsburg Mix)
9. The Guitar (outer planet mix)
10. Welcome to the Jungle
11. I Blame You
12. Moving to the Sun
13. The Guitar (eveb further outer planet mix)
14. Why Does the Sun Shine?
15. Jessica
16. Whirlpool
17. Spy
18. O Tannenbaum
19. Christmas Cards
20. Ondine
21. She Was A Hotel Detective
22. Mrs Train
23. Snail Dust
24. SenSurround
25. Unforgotten
26. We've Got A World That Swings
27. S-E-X-X-Y (Warren Rig Microwave mix)
28. Santa Claus
29. Feast of Llights
30. Careless Santa

Am I missing some? I discounted stuff that has been released
elsewhere, like WUFTM and Boss of Me, but I couldn't find any mention
of a Statue EP. Was a Statue EP even made?

As for a Dial-A-Song demo collection, what would go on that? Would it
be simply unreleased stuff, or would people want all the early demos
of released songs? (I guess that would be pretty dumb, as it would be
a ten disk collection :P) Could anyone give me an idea of what they'd
like to see on there?

Quinn Collard

Apr 15, 2003, 8:15:55 AM4/15/03
M. Westward wrote:

> Was a Statue EP even made?

Yep, I have a copy of the 45 right here, but its only b-side is Actual,
nothing new. I believe someone told me that the CD has something else
but I can't remember what it was now...something that ended up on Then,
I think.

> As for a Dial-A-Song demo collection, what would go on that? Would it
> be simply unreleased stuff, or would people want all the early demos
> of released songs? (I guess that would be pretty dumb, as it would
> be a ten disk collection :P)

Some of the demos are significantly different than the album versions,
though.

> Could anyone give me an idea of what
> they'd like to see on there?

Everything. EVERYTHING.
--
Quinn * http://home.houston.rr.com/johnlinnell/index.html

"People are kind of screwed up sometimes." ~John Linnell

Bryce

Apr 15, 2003, 9:48:44 AM4/15/03
M. Westward:

> So if SF is/was simply a compilation of B-Sides post
> Miscelleneous T. then it should look a little something
> like this, right?
[snip]

Well, that's a lot of material for one album, I don't think it'll all fit.
I say leave out the remixes; there are about enough of them for a separate
compilation if you're into that sort of thing. I also say leave off the
Holidayland songs, just because they form a discrete thematic unit that's
easy to single out, plus the EP is still in print.

> Am I missing some? I discounted stuff that has been
> released elsewhere, like WUFTM and Boss of Me, but
> I couldn't find any mention of a Statue EP. Was a
> Statue EP even made?

Yeah, but its b-sides were all also released on albums (Apollo 18 and Then).

I would add their contributions to "various artists" albums from roughly the
same era. Also Doctor Worm and Severe Tire Damage Theme (though some may
argue), because they feel so isolated on an album full of live tracks.

Lastly, I think that chronologically is not the best way to order the
tracklist. I really like the pacing of this intentionally anachronistic
sequence:
1. SenSurround
2. 25 O'Clock
3. Welcome to the Jungle
4. Ondine
5. We've Got a World that Swings
6. Whirlpool
7. I Blame You
8. Mrs. Train
9. Why Does the Sun Shine?
10. Doctor Worm
11. Siftin'
12. Ant
13. Jessica
14. Stormy Pinkness
15. I'm Sick of This American Life
16. She Was a Hotel Detective
17. Dr. Evil
18. Moving to the Sun
19. One More Parade
20. Unforgotten
21. Severe Tire Damage Theme
22. Cabbagetown
23. James K. Polk
24. A Butcher's Tale
25. SenSurround (Mighty Morphin' Version)

> As for a Dial-A-Song demo collection, what would go on that?

I would love to get all the otherwise-unreleased songs, if I had to choose.
So exclusivity first, fidelity second, in this case.

Bryce

Lex

Apr 15, 2003, 9:10:36 PM4/15/03
I have a German import of the Statue 33, and it has Statue and Actual on one
side, and I'm Def and Which Describes How You're Feeling (Demo) on the
other.

"Quinn Collard" <selfcall...@SPAMARAMAhouston.rr.com> wrote in message

scratch

Apr 16, 2003, 12:20:18 PM4/16/03
Lex wrote:
> I have a German import of the Statue 33, and it has Statue and Actual on one
> side, and I'm Def and Which Describes How You're Feeling (Demo) on the
> other.

That's the same as the CD single. I don't think it got a release in the
US though.

-scratch