TMBG Wiki

Brad Will

Feb 25, 2003, 9:10:45 AM2/25/03
A friend of mine and i have put together a They Might Be Giants Wiki
at http://www.tmbw.net

For those of you not familiar with wiki's, think of it as an
open-source tmbg project. Feel free to visit and contribute as much
or as little as you want.

Dave

Feb 25, 2003, 10:50:30 AM2/25/03
In article <a5c5fa1e.03022...@posting.google.com>,
duk...@yahoo.com (Brad Will) wrote:

looks very cool. i've only just heard the word 'wiki' in the last few
days and i had no idea what it was, but it looks like it could become
an important extension of the online tmbg community.

Kevin Sullivan

Feb 25, 2003, 5:52:30 PM2/25/03

scratch is that your Edith Head remix on there? :)

And how is Wiki pronounced? weekee? wickee?

Kevin Sullivan

Feb 25, 2003, 6:49:52 PM2/25/03

This thing is pretty cool. It's nice the way it's easy to define
things and it automatically links to any references of that term.
Designating certain things to differentiate them between say No! the
album vs No! the song was a little confusing but I've got it down now.

It's like putting a big puzzle together:)

Bryce

Feb 25, 2003, 7:00:24 PM2/25/03
Kevin Sullivan:

> scratch is that your Edith Head remix on there? :)

No, it's different. It's a simpler combo of just the LTW and MC versions.

> And how is Wiki pronounced? weekee? wickee?

I pronounce it "wickee."

Bryce

Doctor Worm

Feb 25, 2003, 6:59:23 PM2/25/03
It's a great site. I stumbled upon it about a week ago. One quick question.
When you have a space for video and audio links, do you want external links,
or to host them on the site? For example, I put the Integrity Project video
up on my site, and linked to it. That way, it's my webspace being used up,
but I think it's substantially slower. As an alternative, I could send the
file to you. It's pretty small. I still have some of the material from
Better Living Through Better Music.
"Brad Will" <duk...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

scratch

Feb 25, 2003, 7:29:26 PM2/25/03
Kevin Sullivan wrote:
> scratch is that your Edith Head remix on there? :)

No, though it's a similar idea. The description on the page is wrong
though, both versions were sung by Flans.

-scratch

Brad Will

Feb 25, 2003, 9:20:47 PM2/25/03
"Doctor Worm" <docto...@cox.net> wrote in message news:<vrT6a.1765$Xd.1...@news2.west.cox.net>...

> It's a great site. I stumbled upon it about a week ago. One quick question.
> When you have a space for video and audio links, do you want external links,
> or to host them on the site? For example, I put the Integrity Project video
> up on my site, and linked to it. That way, it's my webspace being used up,
> but I think it's substantially slower. As an alternative, I could send the
> file to you. It's pretty small. I still have some of the material from
> Better Living Through Better Music.

Unfortunately, right now, we don't have a large amount of disk space,
so we're really limited as to what we can host right now.
So, if you don't mind us chewing up your bandwidth now, we appreciate
you allowing us to link over to stuff you're hosting.

Thanks everyone that has been contributing!

Scott Redd

Feb 25, 2003, 10:34:27 PM2/25/03
Unfortunately, we don't have the space for hosting MP3s. Links from
the wiki work very well, and since anyone can edit, it's easy to make
sure links stay current.

We appreciate all of you who have already contributed, and ask the
rest of you to give it a looksie.

The power of a wiki is in the userbase.

Mr. A might like to maintain song lists.
Mr. B might like to copy and type lyrics.
Ms. C might enjoy writing show reviews.
Dr. D might be a grammar freak and likes to correct mistakes.

Separately they might not be able to do much, but throw them all into
a wiki, and stand aside, becuase you've got something!

BTW: I bought Direct From Brooklyn (DVD) today and am really enjoying
it.

Regards,

Scott
s...@tmbw.net
http://tmbw.net

Dean Swift

Feb 26, 2003, 12:01:41 PM2/26/03

"scratch" <scr...@the-pentagon.com> wrote in message news:b3h1mj$1lbd5o$1...@ID-159473.news.dfncis.de...

If the description page is wrong, you should go in and fix it. That's what a wiki is all about.

-Dean

scratch

Feb 26, 2003, 1:21:50 PM2/26/03

"This page is read-only".

-scratch

john m

Feb 26, 2003, 3:49:43 PM2/26/03
> Dr. D

Admit it; you did that on purpose.

Now I'm going to have to go listen.

--
-john | official newsgroup dude
-take vacations? own property?: IM 'tmbgtrigger'

Dean Swift

Feb 26, 2003, 4:27:55 PM2/26/03
Well, that stinks. So much for fixing mistakes on the wiki.

- Dean

Bryce

Feb 26, 2003, 5:28:28 PM2/26/03
Dean Swift:

> Well, that stinks. So much for fixing mistakes on the wiki.

No no, it's only the "TMBW.net Exclusive Content" page that's read-only.
Other stuff is totally editable, check it out.

Bryce