Hello I am New Fan

richard.stevens6

Apr 15, 2001, 12:03:01 PM4/15/01
I am facinated by the TD sound can you tell what recordings I should buy to
get me started on TD

Richard

Womb Raider

Apr 16, 2001, 2:54:45 AM4/16/01
In article <fEjC6.5792$xA.8...@news2-win.server.ntlworld.com>,
richard.stevens6 <richard....@ntlworld.com> wrote:

Oh boy. That really depends on which "era" of TD's that you like. Some
people -like me- really love their early stuff in the 70's and early
80's and think that anything mid-80's and later is total crap. Yet
others think just about the exact opposite. That anything mid to
late-80's and later is their best stuff.

What have you heard that you like?

WR

richard.stevens6

Apr 16, 2001, 5:34:22 AM4/16/01

Womb Raider <wombr...@macsrbetter2001.com> wrote in message

I love their soundtrack stufff, admittedly I haven't heard much more than
that
I'm into soul and rocks mostly
The Who
Prince
Kate Bush
Stevie etc

[the real] Warwick Hunt

Apr 16, 2001, 5:40:05 AM4/16/01
On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 02:54:45 -0400, Womb Raider
<wombr...@macsrbetter2001.com> wrote:

get on napster or one of its many clones (try winmx)
and downlaod one or two tracks - then if you like a particular style, go out
and buy the cds.mp3s are fine but original cds are better.

I prefer the earlier stuff myself, but some of the later stuff is ok but to me
they seem to have lost their direction somewhere over the last few years.

w.h.

ps
in my city there is a great cd shop selling cheap new and used cds
I often manage to get original TD cds for about £3-5 each
Obviously the newest cds are full price or a couple of £'s less than the major
stores.
Its worth looking about.
You could try one of the compilation cds that have bene released, with tracks
from throughout their careers giving a sample of each style

James C. Dobrovicz

Apr 16, 2001, 7:42:16 PM4/16/01
I too am a fairly new fan. I started with 'Analogue Space Years', 'Phaedra',
and 'Exit', and from there got all the 1970s albums (except for 'Cyclone'
and the 'Sorcerer' soundtrack, which I have yet to find) either through
Napster or by buying them. I also prefer the earlier music, although I am
very impressed by all of the TD music I've heard.

-- James C. Dobrovicz

richard.stevens6

Apr 16, 2001, 7:58:08 PM4/16/01

James C. Dobrovicz <jcd...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> I too am a fairly new fan. I started with 'Analogue Space Years',
'Phaedra',
> and 'Exit', and from there got all the 1970s albums (except for 'Cyclone'
> and the 'Sorcerer' soundtrack, which I have yet to find) either through
> Napster or by buying them. I also prefer the earlier music, although I am
> very impressed by all of the TD music I've heard.

Is their Box set Tangent's a good place to start?

Antonio

Apr 17, 2001, 4:18:06 PM4/17/01
On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 00:58:08 +0100, "richard.stevens6"
<richard....@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Is their Box set Tangent's a good place to start?

I think so. You have the best tracks from their Virgin years, selected
by Edgar Froese himself. But beware that the tracks on discs 1 - 4 are
remixed, or "tangentized" as we use to say on the tadream mailing
list. Anyway I think this is an advantage, because even if you buy the
original albums after buying Tangents, you'll not have repeated
versions of the same track. Some remixes are very subtle, you'll have
to listen to the original and remixed track many times in order to
find the differences. Other tracks are very different from the
original, for example Desert Dream on disc 2. Disc 5 is unreleased
material - the track Silver Scale is worth the whole cd IMHO.

Antonio

richard.stevens6

Apr 20, 2001, 5:28:41 PM4/20/01

"Antonio" <re...@group.notmail.pt> wrote in message

as long as it isn't shitty house, big beat crap i'm ok with it , whati'm
after is good atmospheric music!

Chris Coil

Apr 20, 2001, 9:32:34 PM4/20/01

Then you'll be fine with Tangents. I would try the compilations from
the non-Virgin years as well to see if they're acceptable too. I found
TD listenable longer than some fans - it was when Jerome Froese
entered the lineup that I couldn't accept it as TD anymore.

Chris

Antonio

Apr 21, 2001, 9:01:07 AM4/21/01
On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:28:41 +0100, "richard.stevens6"
<richard....@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>as long as it isn't shitty house, big beat crap i'm ok with it , whati'm
>after is good atmospheric music!

No, it's nothing to do with house or big beat crap. You can listen to
a few excerpts at CDNow (http://cdnow.com). Search by Album Title =
Tangents Box Set.

Also, as suggested by Chris Coil, you might want to try a compilation
from the non-Virgin years. I recommend "The Dream Roots Collection" -
another 5 CD set, with a good selection from the pink and blue years,
including again one CD with unreleased material.

Antonio

Jah

Apr 22, 2001, 8:20:14 AM4/22/01

> One of my first TD albums was 'Force Majeure' on
> clear viynl, it's very atmospheric and I would lay on
> my bed listening to it for hours, gathering images to
> sounds. I would love to get this on CD if it's available.
>
>BTW this is my first post to this NG and it's excellent.
> Cheers
>
> John.

"richard.stevens6" <richard....@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Womb Raider

Apr 24, 2001, 2:07:58 AM4/24/01

Force Majeure is on CD if you can find it. I had to get a friend
overseas to get a copy for me and mail it to me.

WR

In article <m0AE6.4697$jh4.5...@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>, Jah

matthew.french1

May 4, 2001, 2:31:49 PM5/4/01
Tangram

matthew.french1

May 4, 2001, 2:31:36 PM5/4/01
Rubycon

matthew.french1

May 4, 2001, 2:39:20 PM5/4/01
yer what have you heard that you like one day I may get round to posting my
whole cTD collection list on here it comes to about 100

Richard Ingram

May 15, 2001, 12:30:10 AM5/15/01
"matthew.french1" <matthew...@ntlworld.com> writes:

I vote for Logos Live.

Richard

Traphagen

May 21, 2001, 11:08:54 PM5/21/01
>I am facinated by the TD sound can you tell what
>recordings I should buy to get me started on TD.
>
>Richard

I would be one of those ones that would tell you the newer stuff is
better. Optical Race is the best with Dream Mixes I, my next favorite.
Atlantic Bridges and Tango are also good as well as The Private Music of
TD. With the exception of Optical Race, the others I mentioned are all
some sort of compilation of their stuff. The title song from Rockoon is
the only song off that disc that I liked.

Womb Raider

May 25, 2001, 9:31:03 AM5/25/01
In article <26259-3B0...@storefull-131.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
Traphagen <Trap...@webtv.net> wrote:

However, I'd be one to tell you to avoid all the newer stuff at all
costs and dont' by anything after 1985.

WR

Nico de Kok

May 25, 2001, 4:02:09 PM5/25/01

It's true that the musical ideas of Tangerine Dream were at its best in the
70's and early 80's. Best albums of that period are Rubycon, Ricochet,
Encore, Force Majeure, Tangram, White Eagle and Poland.
Altough the live albums of the 70's sound very good, most of that matierial
is studio recorded. I have a massive collection of live bootlegs and they
are quite diffrent than original live recordings. For instance, Desert Dream
from Encore (1977 US tour) is partly taken from the concert in Chichester
1974 (Oedipus Tyrannus). That means that live albums are not really live.
Nevertheless, its very good music.
Now, about the newer albums. After 1985 there was a change in style. That
happens just because the electronic equipment improved in a fast way. Don't
blame TD, I think they did very good music then (and still do), but the 70's
where their top years and that will never change.

For a look at my TD bootleg list : http://members.chello.nl/ndekok
Also take a look at my own music.

Best regards,

Nico ( Small Chief )