history of synthpop?

Matthias Oelmann

Jan 5, 1995, 9:20:47 AM1/5/95
I have to write an article about the history of synthpop. Is there anybody
who can tell me the most important musicans, influences, mostly used
synthesizers ...ect....It would help me a lot!!Thank you very much!!!-
Vicky :)

Kathy Tibbetts

Jan 5, 1995, 4:17:42 PM1/5/95

If I were you, I'd check out anything I could find about Wendy Carlos. She
may not have been the VERY first, but she was almost certainly the most
effective in bringing synthpop into the mainstream, starting all the way
back in the '60s with the "Switched-On" albums. The most famous of these,
SWITCHED-ON BACH, featured a triphammer version of "Jesu, Joy of Man's
Desiring" that became a huge popular hit and proved once and for all that
synths were serious instruments and not just novelty toys. She has done
many albums, soundtracks, and assorted other projects since then and is one
of the true innovators of the form, as well as one of the most technically
accomplished both musically and technologically. (BTW, Wendy was "Walter"
until sometime around the mid-'70s, and recorded several albums - including
SOBACH - under her original male name. Look for both.) -- KT

Paul Cyopick

Jan 6, 1995, 10:25:33 AM1/6/95
In article <mme-050195...@mme.hh.eunet.de>, m...@mme.hh.eunet.de
(Matthias Oelmann) wrote:

Try the new book on Depeche Mode, "Some Great Reward" by Dave Thompson.
Chapter 2 has a great summary of synth history.
--
Paul Cyopick pcyo...@io.org

Editor, A La Mode, the Depeche Mode fanzine

Close, but no .sig

Rob Trousdale

Jan 6, 1995, 7:50:16 PM1/6/95
In article <mme-050195...@mme.hh.eunet.de>, m...@mme.hh.eunet.de
(Matthias Oelmann) wrote:

Hey Mathias! Glad you are so interested!
I am not an expert, so I will post rather than reply directly, that way all
our friends can rip me to shreads for givin you wrong information :)
Synthpop's roots go way back to the invention of the MOOG sythesizer made
popular by Wendy Carlos on her album "Switched on Bach". Other influential
artists of the early days were Germany's Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream,
France's Jean-Michel Jarre, and Japan's Ryuichi Sakamoto (Yello Magic
Orchestra). The late 70s saw a boom in the popularity of this music and
the number of its praticioners- Just to name a few of the pionners of
"modern" synthpop and some of thier albums:

Thomas Dolby "The Golden Age of Wireless", 1981
Human League "Travelogue", "Dare" 1980, 81
Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark - "Architecture and Morality" 1978 (?)
Gary Numan "Replicas", "The Pleasure Principle" 1979
Depeche Mode "Speak and Spell" 1981
Yazoo "Upstairs at Eric's" 1982
Heaven 17 "Penthouse and Pavement"

The list goes on and on......
Hope this helps!

Rob Trousdale
"48.7% of all Statistics are useless."
-Anonymous
"I'll be the in to your sane"
-G. Numan

pvio...@cts.com

Jan 7, 1995, 5:42:32 AM1/7/95
>Also how come no one has mentioned Erasure (OK, so Yazoo is close) or New
>Order? Both have been around since the early years

Good question. Vince did some interesting (and pioneering) things while
in Yaz with Allison Moyet. In my opinion, Vince was in his prime during
those years (with DM and Yaz). As for Erasure, his work with Andy is good but
his innovation has been static on all albums proceeding "The Innocients."

David Hisakazu Inoue

Jan 7, 1995, 2:31:46 AM1/7/95

>Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark - "Architecture and Morality" 1978 (?)

>Rob Trousdale

Architecture and Morality was 1981 according to the copywright on my copy.
Their first album "Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark" was released in 1980.
That was later combined with tracks from "Organization" to make up "OMD",
their first US release.

Also how come no one has mentioned Erasure (OK, so Yazoo is close) or New

Order? Both have been around since the early years, and New Order also goes
back as Joy Division. The change of JD to NO was a pretty major turning
point, in my opinion for synth in general. Good luck on the paper!

David Inoue

Heikki Ritola

Jan 7, 1995, 10:23:30 AM1/7/95
In article <robt-060...@molin-mac.chem.washington.edu>,
ro...@hardy.u.washington.edu (Rob Trousdale) says:

>Synthpop's roots go way back to the invention of the MOOG sythesizer
made
>popular by Wendy Carlos on her album "Switched on Bach". Other
influential
>artists of the early days were Germany's Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream,
>France's Jean-Michel Jarre, and Japan's Ryuichi Sakamoto (Yello Magic
>Orchestra). The late 70s saw a boom in the popularity of this music and
>the number of its praticioners- Just to name a few of the pionners of
>"modern" synthpop and some of thier albums:
>
>Thomas Dolby "The Golden Age of Wireless", 1981
>Human League "Travelogue", "Dare" 1980, 81
>Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark - "Architecture and Morality" 1978 (?)
>Gary Numan "Replicas", "The Pleasure Principle" 1979
>Depeche Mode "Speak and Spell" 1981
>Yazoo "Upstairs at Eric's" 1982
>Heaven 17 "Penthouse and Pavement"
>
>The list goes on and on......

Don't forget these:
Kraftwerk: "Autobahn", 1974
Hot Butter: "Popcorn", 197?

I think firstie modern synthpop tunes was
Kraftwerk's "The Model", 1978. It was
really succes in it's own time.

In my opinion Jarre didn't make never as pioneer things
as another. Jarre made *very* good stuff, but he
never creates any *new*.
______
Heikki

Kristopher Magnusson

Jan 7, 1995, 3:52:38 PM1/7/95
Rob Trousdale (ro...@hardy.u.washington.edu) wrote:
: In article <mme-050195...@mme.hh.eunet.de>, m...@mme.hh.eunet.de

: (Matthias Oelmann) wrote:
: >
: > I have to write an article about the history of synthpop. Is there anybody
: > who can tell me the most important musicans, influences, mostly used
: > synthesizers ...ect....It would help me a lot!!Thank you very much!!!-
: > Vicky :)

: Thomas Dolby "The Golden Age of Wireless", 1981

: Human League "Travelogue", "Dare" 1980, 81
: Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark - "Architecture and Morality" 1978 (?)
: Gary Numan "Replicas", "The Pleasure Principle" 1979
: Depeche Mode "Speak and Spell" 1981
: Yazoo "Upstairs at Eric's" 1982
: Heaven 17 "Penthouse and Pavement"

I would probably add Ultravox (Ultravox!) as a seminal
influence on many of these bands. Gary Numan claims to owe a huge amount
of his inspiration to early Ultravox albums. Their percussionist, Warren
Cann, was also one of the first to create decent drum tracks using
electronic equipment. Ultravox!, in their first incantation with John
Foxx as lead vocalist, released their first album in (I believe) 1977,
with the seminal track, "My Sex," releasing a flood of gender-bending
songs from others, including some from an obscure band called Mi Sex.

--
Kristopher Magnusson kr...@xmission.com (no NeXTmail, please)
Without LOVE, BEAUTY, or DANGER, it would almost be easy to live

Kimmo Erola

Jan 7, 1995, 7:36:16 PM1/7/95
Kristopher Magnusson (kr...@xmission.com) wrote:

: Ultravox!, in their first incantation with John

: Foxx as lead vocalist, released their first album in (I believe) 1977

Midge Ure replaced John Foxx in the late 70's. 1980 Foxx
released his first soloalbum 'Metamatic'. Also remember to
check 'The garden' released 1981.

Anyone ever heard of 'Data'? I have their three albums:

Opera Electronica (1981)
2-time (1983)
Elegant machinery (1985)

More information???

Kimmo

Keesjan van Bunningen

Jan 8, 1995, 6:59:03 AM1/8/95
In article <D229o...@utu.fi> kime...@utu.fi (Kimmo Erola) writes:
> Anyone ever heard of 'Data'? I have their three albums:

> Opera Electronica (1981)
> 2-time (1983)
> Elegant machinery (1985)

Nice to find someone else interested in Data. I've got their three albums as
well and still waiting for them to be released on CD (wishful thinking
probably, unless some special connoisseur label is interested)

For your information:

- Blow: Blow b/w Blow back, (12") on Illuminated ILL 4512
- Fever of Love: same b/w ?, (7") on Original AB 07
- Living Inside Me: Living Inside Me b/w No Bungalow, (7"/12") on Illuminated
ILL 21/ILL 2112
- Richocheted Love: Richocheted Love b/w In Love...DJ, (7"/12") on Sire ENA
133/ENAT 133
- Stop: Stop b/w Blow, (7"/12") on Proto ENA 129/ENAT 129

Georg Kajanus, the leading man behind 'Data', is a former member of 'Sailor',
a three men vocals group if I'm correct . This may not ring a bell, but older
audiophiles should be familiar with this group. They were considerably famous
and had one or more hits (you even may heard one in your childhood). It's not
at all electronic as far as I can remember, but it had comparable vocals as
'Data'.

Question: does the A-side of the original UK release of 'Opera Electronica'
(released on Illuminated JAMS 22) have an endless groove? The reason why I'm
asking this is that the European release as time indication of all tracks on
the label, except for 'Star' which is the last track of side A. I'm curious
ever since I noticed it.

Keesjan van Bunningen
Delft University of Technology
Department of Industrial Design Engineering
Jaffalaan 9
NL-2628 BX Delft, The Netherlands
Email:C.J.H.van...@IO.TUDelft.nl

Rob Trousdale

Jan 9, 1995, 6:29:12 PM1/9/95
In article <inoue.6.18...@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu>,

ino...@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu (David Hisakazu Inoue) wrote:

> Also how come no one has mentioned Erasure (OK, so Yazoo is close) or New
> Order? Both have been around since the early years, and New Order also goes
> back as Joy Division. The change of JD to NO was a pretty major turning
> point, in my opinion for synth in general. Good luck on the paper!
>
> David Inoue

Sorry Dave, Erasure was lonmg after Yazzo, their first album "Wounderland"
is dated 1984/85 whereas Yazoo started in early 1982. Thanks for
straightening me out on the release date of OMD though, I can never
remember the titles of their early stuff (pre "Dazzle ships") :-)

You are absouletly right about New Order and Joy Division, Jeez, How could
I have forgotten them, eh? Definitely one of THE founders of modern
Synthpop.

chim...@delphi.com

Jan 9, 1995, 6:45:56 PM1/9/95
Keesjan van Bunningen <C.J.H.van...@IO.TUDelft.nl> writes:

>In article <D229o...@utu.fi> kime...@utu.fi (Kimmo Erola) writes:
>> Anyone ever heard of 'Data'? I have their three albums:
>
>> Opera Electronica (1981)
>> 2-time (1983)
>> Elegant machinery (1985)

How is the _2-Time_ album? I never had the chance to hear the entire
album? Does it lean towards the sound of _Elegant Machinery_?

Thanx CHIMERA7

Luis Martinez

Jan 10, 1995, 3:21:43 AM1/10/95
In article <C.J.H.vanBunni...@IO.TUDelft.nl>,

C.J.H.van...@IO.TUDelft.nl (Keesjan van Bunningen) wrote:

> Georg Kajanus, the leading man behind 'Data', is a former member of 'Sailor',
> a three men vocals group if I'm correct . This may not ring a bell, but older
> audiophiles should be familiar with this group. They were considerably famous
> and had one or more hits (you even may heard one in your childhood). It's not
> at all electronic as far as I can remember, but it had comparable vocals as
> 'Data'.
>
> Question: does the A-side of the original UK release of 'Opera Electronica'
> (released on Illuminated JAMS 22) have an endless groove? The reason why I'm
> asking this is that the European release as time indication of all tracks on
> the label, except for 'Star' which is the last track of side A. I'm curious
> ever since I noticed it.
>
> Keesjan van Bunningen
> Delft University of Technology
> Department of Industrial Design Engineering
> Jaffalaan 9
> NL-2628 BX Delft, The Netherlands
> Email:C.J.H.van...@IO.TUDelft.nl

Keesjan
Does Kajanus have anythig to do with a very popular song call Hassan by
Fatima.? Thanks.
Luis C Martinez-Molina

Kevin Francis

Jan 10, 1995, 5:46:17 AM1/10/95
Your ? on Popcorn by Hot butter - info from Dave Smith -
Popcorn by Hot Butter - 1972 reached No.5 in August 1972 Poppickers!
Great Mate

Dave
c/o
cub...@cix.compulink.co.uk