Cover versions of Steely Dan tunes

Klaus Diepold

Nov 10, 2001, 9:26:58 AM11/10/01
Steely Fans,

I am hunting a few cover versions of songs.

For example, does anybody have a digtal version of "Dirty Work" by the
Pointer Sisters. It's on their "Energy" album.

Furthermore, anybody out there who owns a more recent Four Freshmen CD with
cover versions of "Maxine" and "IGY" ?

And finally, I am searching a digital version of the duo performance of
Donald Fagen and Steve Khan doing a Thelonius Monk tune. The album is a
tribute album for TM and is called something like "that's they I feel now"
or so.

Feedback is highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Klaus

Neil Madden

Nov 10, 2001, 5:37:53 PM11/10/01
Ever heard the version of Dirty Work by an all female South African (?) band
called Fanny? I seem to remember them doing it on the Old Grey Whistle test
TV show in the UK in the late 70's

Klaus Diepold <kl...@computer.org> wrote in message

Klaus Diepold

Nov 11, 2001, 3:56:02 AM11/11/01
Nope, never heard of that one. got a copy ?

klaus

Neil Madden <neilma...@yahoo.co.uk> schrieb im Beitrag
<5%hH7.22720$mh1.2...@news1.cableinet.net>...

Neil Madden

Nov 12, 2001, 7:19:18 AM11/12/01
No, sorry. Couldn't find it on Napster either. Anyone know any more about
this one?

By the way did you see the Tony Soprano version in Series 3 of the TV show?

Klaus Diepold <kl...@computer.org> wrote in message

Steve2000indeja

Nov 12, 2001, 9:10:21 AM11/12/01
>No, sorry. Couldn't find it on Napster either. Anyone know any more about
>this one?

I missed Fanny doing Dirty Work too. Never knew they'd done it.

I did see them live once, opening for someone. Geez, I guess it was in the 70s
as they were one of the first all female rock groups playing their own
instruments etc. Fairly non-memorable set, thought I woulda remembered a 'Dirty
Work Cover.

Seems like it was mid 70s here in the US. Maybe their career was longer in
other parts of the world. They were (sorta) popular here in that
time-definitely before the Go-Gos (1980).

The Go-Gos were more pop (or at least they got turned into pop by their record
company). Fanny was a rock and roll band.

Fanny kicked A-

nah, I won't go there. too obvious. Course their name, image and stuff was
about as subtle as a sledgehammer.

Any group covering SD has some taste somewhere, though.

They were only middling popular here. No radio airplay to speak of, iirc- just
some tours as an opening act.

And it was way back in the vinyl era...which they didn't sell much of in the
US. So good luck on finding much on the file sharing sites.

imo

Steve

Don Bailey

Nov 12, 2001, 10:25:37 AM11/12/01

Napster is working???

db

John Duffy

Nov 13, 2001, 10:19:07 AM11/13/01
In article <9sopjq$1411tf$1...@ID-84603.news.dfncis.de>, Don Bailey
<d0n...@netzero.net> writes

>Napster is working???
>
>db

Morpheus is, Don... dunno how they get away with it, but there are no
restrictions, and it works better than Napster ever did. If someone cuts
you off mid-download, it automatically searches for the file elsewhere,
and downloads from where you left off.

Napster has only non-copyright material last time I looked.

Just an opinion: I don't support the mass download of copyrighted songs
without payment, but with half a conscience, it is possible to use these
sites responsibly imo.
I'd be happy if they charged per-song, proceeds going to the
author/owner.

John
--
John Duffy

Don Bailey

Nov 13, 2001, 10:29:12 AM11/13/01
Whoa....

db

tim r

Nov 13, 2001, 6:16:46 PM11/13/01
Look at the header! Fools!

timr
Oh yeah, try Audiogalaxy at
http://www.audiogalaxy.com
for free downloads.....

"Don Bailey" <d0n...@netzero.net> wrote in message

jon phred

Nov 14, 2001, 9:52:42 AM11/14/01

"Steve2000indeja " <sslag...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

> >No, sorry. Couldn't find it on Napster either. Anyone know any more
about
> >this one?
> >

> I missed Fanny doing Dirty Work too. Never knew they'd done it.
>
> I did see them live once, opening for someone. Geez, I guess it was in
the 70s
> as they were one of the first all female rock groups playing their own
> instruments etc. Fairly non-memorable set, thought I woulda remembered a
'Dirty
> Work Cover.

Saw them at The Rainbow in late '71 or early '72 doing the Glastonbury
Benefit gig.

In those days Glastonbury was a free festival and the gig, together with
proceeds from the album compiled of tracks donated by performing artists
(and Grateful Dead) helped provide seed money for the '72 festival.

Neil was not alone in spotting the (word perfect) Tony Soprano sing-along
version of Dirty Work. Maybe some Americans do have a sense of irony, after
all.

Cheers!

jon phred

Nov 14, 2001, 12:37:35 PM11/14/01

"Klaus Diepold" <kl...@computer.org> wrote in message
> Steely Fans,
>
> I am hunting a few cover versions of songs.

'On the Dunes' was recorded by Tina May & Nikki Iles on their 'Change of
Sky' CD (vocal + piano).

Cheers!

Mark Westin

Nov 15, 2001, 12:20:14 PM11/15/01
There's also a recent Rickie Lee Jones disc, called "It's Like This"
where she covers "Show Biz Kids".

Here's another question - last year I was at a motorcycle show here in
NYC, and at one of the booths (I think it was Aprilia), they had a
constant soundtrack going that was ALL SD covers, done in an acoustic
"unplugged" style by a female vocalist. The people working there didn't
know what it was, and I haven't heard anything about it since, but it
was clearly the same female artist and her group doing all the tunes.

In a noisy convention center with bike motors revving, it sounded good.
Anybody know what this might be?

MarkW

Klaus Diepold

Nov 16, 2001, 4:36:26 AM11/16/01
Rickie Lee Jones' version of Show Biz Kids is in fact a great tune.
I highly recommend every Steely Fan to give it a try.

It gets the klaus seal of approval. Two thumbs up for RLJ.

Unfortunately, I have no clue who may have done the acoustic versions you
were talking about.
Anybody out there who can help out ?

Cheers
Klaus

Mark Westin <ma...@ldp.com> schrieb im Beitrag
<3BF3F94E...@ldp.com>...

van langenhoven kris

Nov 18, 2001, 2:16:18 PM11/18/01
You probably know of the movie & soundtrack "me myself & Irene".
With a few covers of SD music. But the "qualities" of the Movie did not
exactly make me chasing after the soundtrack.
But then, maybe I am wrong.

Krispy

"Klaus Diepold" <kl...@computer.org> schreef in bericht

Brian

Nov 26, 2001, 2:20:45 AM11/26/01
"Klaus Diepold" <kl...@computer.org> wrote in message news:<01c169f5$fc9f8020$3c7ae195@moka>...

Steve Khan has a website. You could email him about the Monk tune.
www.stevekhan.com

Brian

jlt....@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2018, 1:02:22 PM4/14/18
I remember hearing it on the radio in the early 70s, but can't find it anywhere.

The old geezer

Apr 14, 2018, 4:32:12 PM4/14/18
Napster!!?? Ha-Ha!!

The old geezer

Apr 15, 2018, 7:50:38 AM4/15/18
On Saturday, April 14, 2018 at 4:32:12 PM UTC-4, The old geezer wrote:
> Napster!!?? Ha-Ha!!

Here is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd-jcVL4gAo

TOG