King of the World

Jkix

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
Does the mental picture painted by this song remind anyone of Ray Bradbury's
"Martian Chronicles"?
Silent Z

"It all makes perfect sense, expressed in dollars and cents, pounds, shillings
and pence"

"I never met Napoleon, but I plan to find the time!"

PedieL1

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
yes, thats very imaginative of you. that song always inspires me..... I just
wish they didnt fade out the song when they did that guitar solo was just
getting hot and I mean HOT.

If you know where I can find the sheet music or tab for this tune please let me
know. thanks. PAUL

brad...@mindspring.com

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
Yes, and does anyone know what the hell they're saying with the "megaphone"
effect? I've been trying to decipher that for years to no avail... It's one
of my favorite SD songs, and it irks me that I don't know..

Can you hear me Doctor Wu?

dr...@mindspring.com

deep...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99
In article <77u0cf$e4n$1...@camel15.mindspring.com>,

I always got "end of the world pointillism" as the point. When you get too
close to certain impressionist paintings you lose the whole and start to see
all these little blotches and dots- is this sky, is this leaves, the glare
off the haze on the water, the water [a little pre-postmodernist air
pollution?]... the effect of the megaphone on me was to immediately bring
back an old, limbic lobe sort of memory [I'm 44, from NYC]. These cars used
to roll slowly by with speakers on them [we're talking days of JFK]
advertising/politicizing. Inside the house with the low-fi on [there was no
hi-fi] you could hear the garbled words of the announcer but you couldn't
understand them... funny... just the tone and phrasing of it would come
through producing a sort of "gestalt" the way the little non-sensical
Seurat-on-the-Grande-Jatte dottes paint impressions on your brain as you step
back from the canvas... [try reading the Gettysburg Address in the tone of
voice from those SUNDAY...NITRO-BURNING FUNNYCARS AT MID- ISLAND SPEEDWAY...
that's what I mean]. Well, you could just "get" so-and-so running for mayor
is talking about the great things he'll do, or so-and-so is now bad mouthing
the other so-and-so, or linoleum flooring must be on sale again. Or...
[pregnant pause (dr. wu not practicing safe sax)] you might get "stay in your
house. do not come outside. if you have provisions for 15 or 20 years- good
for you. shoot any one who tries to break in. for the rest of you so long and
thanks for all the fish... I mean memories. the whole shit house has gone up
in flames. you will perish shortly. have as good a day as it remains humanly
possible......... stay in your house. do not come outside...." we aren't
intended to really get the points... just the austerity of the garbled
announcement and the way it fits into the thematic soundscape as you step
back from the canvas.

<lighting cigarette.... Cobalt Light>
heavy sigh,
DrJ