"some dizzy whore 1804" ?

Paul

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
? what?

AloupisM

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
Someone is asking for the reference to the lyrics to Cemetry Gates: "some dizzy
whore, 1804" - who may Morrissey have been referring to?

arj...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
In article <19990204170128...@ng-fa1.aol.com>,

my first thought was a wilde character, but that would be much to early...
havn't got a clue actually, but i would guess it was some character from a
book.

NIILO SMEDS

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
ARJUNA8 wrote...

-> > Someone is asking for the reference to the lyrics to Cemetry Gates:
-> "some dizzy
-> > whore, 1804" - who may Morrissey have been referring to?
-> >
->
-> my first thought was a wilde character, but that would be much to
-> early... havn't got a clue actually, but i would guess it was some
-> character from a book.

i sort of assumed it was an author of a book. but who knows

niilo

Paul

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99

arj...@my-dejanews.com wrote in article
<79dbmk$gsc$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

> In article <19990204170128...@ng-fa1.aol.com>,
> alou...@aol.com (AloupisM) wrote:

> > Someone is asking for the reference to the lyrics to Cemetry Gates:

"some
> dizzy

> > whore, 1804" - who may Morrissey have been referring to?
> >

> my first thought was a wilde character, but that would be much to

early...
> havn't got a clue actually, but i would guess it was some character from
> book.

I`d say that it was nobody in particular actually. Not *everyone* mentioned
in a Smiths song *has* to be about either an historical or literary
character. `The Boy with The Thorn In His Side` for example.

If the quote *was* about someone in particular, it wouldn`t be a character,
it`d be an author "You then produce the text from whence was ripped, some
dizzy whore 1804", as in *written by* some dizzy whore in 1804. But I still
think that it`s nobody really!

Paul

LLivermore

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99
<<> Someone is asking for the reference to the lyrics to Cemetry Gates: "some
dizzy
> whore, 1804" - who may Morrissey have been referring to?

<<my first thought was a wilde character, but that would be much to early...
havn't got a clue actually, but i would guess it was some character from a
book.>>

I would guess it was the first thing he could think of that rhymed with "1804."

AloupisM

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99
That would be my guess, too!

peb...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99
Cemetry gates was written about/inspired by a walk through highgate cemetry
where the famous people mentioned in the song are buried. I would guess that
"some dizzy whore 1804" refered to a gravestone therein.

arj...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99

> I would guess it was the first thing he could think of that rhymed with
"1804."

or rather the other way around

Matt

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99
Oh look, it's peb...@my-dejanews.com:
:
: Cemetry gates was written about/inspired by a walk through highgate
: cemetry where the famous people mentioned in the song are buried. I
: would guess that "some dizzy whore 1804" refered to a gravestone therein.

Highgate? Did he say that? I always thought it referred to Southern
Cemetery in Manchester (Didsbury, to be precise), where he used to walk
with Linder (see: South Bank Show).

Matt

Paul

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99

peb...@my-dejanews.com wrote in article
<79en1p$jnu$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

> Cemetry gates was written about/inspired by a walk through highgate
cemetry
> where the famous people mentioned in the song are buried.

Firstly, it was Southern Cemetery in Manchester that inspired the song,
secondly Wilde is buried in `Pere Lachaise` cemetery in Paris, & chances
are that Keats & Yeates are buried in Poets Corner. Either way they aren`t
buried in either Highgate OR Manchester.

>I would guess that "some dizzy whore 1804" refered to a gravestone
therein.

It`s highly unlikely that someone is going to inscribe a gravestone of one
of their dear departed with the epitaph `Some Dizzy Whore`!!!

Paul

Paul

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99

NIILO SMEDS <niilo...@i.hate.spam.com> wrote in article
<8FFE4C8.04E9...@i.hate.spam.com>...
> ARJUNA8 wrote...
>
> -> > Someone is asking for the reference to the lyrics to Cemetry Gates:
> -> "some dizzy
> -> > whore, 1804" - who may Morrissey have been referring to?

> i sort of assumed it was an author of a book. but who knows
>
> niilo

The line that is assumed to come from this supposed book is `Ere long done
do does did`!!!
These lyrics are supposed to be gibberish, that`s the whole point of the
verse!

There is so much written by people trying to find deep meanings behind
Morrisseys songs, that when something is shoved in their faces, they can`t
see it!

`I`ll` try to explain.

Moz & a friend are walking in the cemetery,
The person Moz is walking with comes out with the line:-
"Thrice the sun hath done salutation to the dawn"
And then says that he composed it.

Moz then says, No you didn`t I`ve heard it before!

Then the person Moz is walking with says:-
"Ere long done do does did"
Moz assumes that his friend HAS composed *this* line, as it`s complete
rubbish,
His friend then shows Moz the published text, dated 1804, from whence the
quotation comes!

Geddit? It`s 2 people walking through a cemetey joking around!! That`s all
it is! `Ere long done do does did` isn`t from ANY published text.

Paul

Dina

Feb 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/6/99
peb...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Cemetry gates was written about/inspired by a walk through highgate cemetry
> where the famous people mentioned in the song are buried. I would guess that

> "some dizzy whore 1804" refered to a gravestone therein.

I've been to the Highgate Cemetery, and the only famous people (that I
know of) buried there are Karl Marx and George Eliot.

Silent Party

Feb 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/6/99

The song is not about Highgate - it is about Southern Cemetery in
Chorlton-cum-Hardy in Manchester. Moz and his pal Linder would often stroll
through the cemetery on lazy afternoons before the Smiths were born. I know,
because I was there.
MANCHESTER - don't forget, is the root where things begin- London is the bowel
where they inevitably drift.

Silent Party

Feb 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/6/99
Oh I forgot to mention - the "dizzy whore". Here are the facts.
A news story in the Manchester Evening News (about 1982) reported how vandals
had smashed headstones in Southern Cemetery. The text mentioned something about
"....many of the damaged headstones dated from as far back as 1804......."
Another story on the same page was about a Manchester prostitue being chased by
a potential attacker and left "dizzy and shaken."
The two were married and became the dizzy whore from 1804. It's as simple as
that. Any more questions?

Matt

Feb 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/6/99
Oh look, it's Paul:
:
: Firstly, it was Southern Cemetery in Manchester that inspired the song,

: secondly Wilde is buried in `Pere Lachaise` cemetery in Paris, & chances
: are that Keats & Yeates are buried in Poets Corner. Either way they aren`t
: buried in either Highgate OR Manchester.

I went to Pere-Lachaise cemetery about three weeks ago. Wilde's tomb
(designed by Jacob Epstein) has been cleaned up - a few years ago it was
covered in graffiti by Morrissey 'fans'. But it looks great again now.
There were dozens of bunches of flowers all around the tomb.

Matt

Paul

Feb 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/6/99

Matt <law...@panther.gsu.edu> wrote in article
<3S_u2.596$Sm4.52289965@tattler>...

> Oh look, it's Paul:

what`s this, Matt?

AloupisM

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
You know, I thought about that as well - I mean, all it is is different tenses
of the verb, "to do." Nicely put, Paul (though I never assumed it was from any
actual text - except, of course, a text book, which wouldn't explain why it
would've been written from a dizzy whore).

Matt

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
Oh look, it's Paul:
:
: Matt <law...@panther.gsu.edu> wrote in article

Er ... what's what?

Matt

Paul

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
It could even supposedly be text from a gravestone, much more likely
actually.

Moz obviously just wanted to write a line of gibberish & was probably
reading a book of verbs at the time.

Much more important!! WHO on earth was `William` ????????*

Paul

* joke

AloupisM <alou...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19990207021147...@ng-fz1.aol.com>...

AloupisM

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
>Much more important!! WHO on earth was `William` ????????*
>Paul
>* joke

Heh-heh, I almost didn't catch the asterisk, Paul - thank god I did, else
you'd be sure to put me in my place!

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
to Silent Party
> MANCHESTER - don't forget, is the root where things begin- London is the
> bowel where they inevitably drift.

AMEN!

~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~
sometimes ah think that people become junkies just because they
subconsciously crave a wee bit ay silence. i.welsh
~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*

arj...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99

> There is so much written by people trying to find deep meanings behind
> Morrisseys songs, that when something is shoved in their faces, they can`t
> see it!

agree

> `I`ll` try to explain.
>
> Moz & a friend are walking in the cemetery,
> The person Moz is walking with comes out with the line:-
> "Thrice the sun hath done salutation to the dawn"
> And then says that he composed it.
>
> Moz then says, No you didn`t I`ve heard it before!

agree

> Then the person Moz is walking with says:-
> "Ere long done do does did"
> Moz assumes that his friend HAS composed *this* line, as it`s complete
> rubbish,
> His friend then shows Moz the published text, dated 1804, from whence the
> quotation comes!

agree

> Geddit? It`s 2 people walking through a cemetey joking around!! That`s all
> it is! `Ere long done do does did` isn`t from ANY published text.

hmmm... but if as it says in the lyrics, the line is ripped from a book, why
do you assume it not from any published text? i don't know if it is or not,
and i have no opinion, but i don't understand how you deduct what you do...

love aaron

Paul

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99

arj...@my-dejanews.com wrote in article
<79l8pn$ood$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

> hmmm... but if as it says in the lyrics, the line is ripped from a book,
why
> do you assume it not from any published text? i don't know if it is or
not,
> and i have no opinion, but i don't understand how you deduct what you
do...

Nowhere in the song is a book mentioned. The text is produced, yes, but
`produced` simply means `shown`, the he could be showing Moz a gravestone,
wherein is buried `Some Dizzy Whore`!!

I think that the word `ripped` is being taken too literally, ripped = taken
from. In UK-speak, `ripped` is slang for `stolen`.

By George, I think I`ve got it!!

Paul

arj...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
how many times do you have to post this?
when i'm on that subject, can ppl please stop posting the same shit a zillion
times? actually once is more than enough... actually

love aaron

In article <01be52dc$1c432dc0$cf045cc3@default>,

"Paul" <Pa...@atb.soft.net.uk> wrote:
> It could even supposedly be text from a gravestone, much more likely
> actually.
>
> Moz obviously just wanted to write a line of gibberish & was probably
> reading a book of verbs at the time.
>

> Much more important!! WHO on earth was `William` ????????*
>
> Paul
>
> * joke
>

> AloupisM <alou...@aol.com> wrote in article
> <19990207021147...@ng-fz1.aol.com>...
> > You know, I thought about that as well - I mean, all it is is different
> tenses
> > of the verb, "to do." Nicely put, Paul (though I never assumed it was
> from any
> > actual text - except, of course, a text book, which wouldn't explain why
> it
> > would've been written from a dizzy whore).

arj...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99

> > hmmm... but if as it says in the lyrics, the line is ripped from a book,
> why
> > do you assume it not from any published text? i don't know if it is or
> not,
> > and i have no opinion, but i don't understand how you deduct what you
> do...
>
> Nowhere in the song is a book mentioned. The text is produced, yes, but
> `produced` simply means `shown`, the he could be showing Moz a gravestone,
> wherein is buried `Some Dizzy Whore`!!
> I think that the word `ripped` is being taken too literally, ripped = taken
> from. In UK-speak, `ripped` is slang for `stolen`.

ok... why didn't you just explain this in your last post?

> By George, I think I`ve got it!!

by george! perhaps...
actually, i just think moz wrote something, and didn't care less about how
anyone would interpret it 13 years +

love aaron

Paul

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99

arj...@my-dejanews.com wrote in article
<79qt6g$g1q$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

> by george! perhaps...
> actually, i just think moz wrote something, and didn't care less about
how
> anyone would interpret it 13 years +

Always goes round in circles, doesn`t it? That`s exactly what *I* said in
my reply to the initial post!!

Paul

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
If you read the WHOLE post you`d see that I NEVER post things more than
ONCE!!!! If people reply to a post of mine & DON`T remove my original post,
it`s hardly my fault is it?????

Aaron, you are a f**king IDIOT!! ACTUALLY!!

If you`ve got NOTHING sensible to contribute, why contribute ANYTHING???

arj...@my-dejanews.com wrote in article
<79qrtb$f1g$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

Silent Party

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
It pisses me off when my FACTS are ignored. YOU ARE SLEEPING

Silent Party

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
YOU DO NOT WANT TO BELIEVE.

arj...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
paul:

> If you read the WHOLE post you`d see that I NEVER post things more than
> ONCE!!!! If people reply to a post of mine & DON`T remove my original post,
> it`s hardly my fault is it?????
>
> Aaron, you are a f**king IDIOT!! ACTUALLY!!
>
> If you`ve got NOTHING sensible to contribute, why contribute ANYTHING???

take it easy man... didn't you say something about not using swear words?
well... why get so angry? it's just that time after time i come to this
newsgroup and i get the same posts two or three times, and yes, i did read
the whole post... why are you getting off at me? why you stoop so low as to
even get angry at me? we're at a newsgroup you know.. no need to get so
upset. you should try some prescription drugs, calm you down you know...
well, joke aside, i didn't mean to make you so upset/angry/pissed/emotive,
but all of you out there, not only paul, please don't post the same message
twice (or more)... thank you.

love aaron

ps - paul, i really want to post something sensible, but if you say i am not
being sensible, what can i do? i try my best, and i am not trying to be an
asshole or stupid. if that's what i am, i apologize.

pps - "multiple exclamation marks reveal a demented mind" terry pratchett

> > how many times do you have to post this?
> > when i'm on that subject, can ppl please stop posting the same shit a
> zillion
> > times? actually once is more than enough... actually
> >
> > love aaron

arj...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99

hmmm... perhaps i didn't read your post?

Paul

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99

arj...@my-dejanews.com wrote in article
<79vp15$pmn$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

> take it easy man... didn't you say something about not using swear words?

I use edited versions.

>. you should try some prescription drugs, calm you down you know...

How do you know that I`m not already on them?

> pps - "multiple exclamation marks reveal a demented mind" terry pratchett

And multiple question marks reveal ???

Paul

zanesa...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2015, 1:08:09 AM8/4/15
It's definitely Southern Cemetery; at least that's what "Morrissey and Marr-The Severed Alliance" by Johnny Rogan claims it to be in his book.

markwa...@googlemail.com

May 14, 2018, 2:56:51 AM5/14/18
You're wrong,it was inspired by a cemetery in Manchester

craigalexande...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2020, 11:13:41 AM2/21/20
Charlotte lennox died in 1804.
Wrote Sophia many years before. Was known for having many lovers publicly at the time.
Also did prose and poems... can’t ever remember any of them though.

Pretty sure that line is gibberish, but the reference may be of her.. who knows..

ross82...@live.co.uk

Mar 15, 2020, 8:24:38 PM3/15/20
On Thursday, February 4, 1999 at 8:00:00 AM UTC, Paul wrote:
> ? what?

Poet Eliza Roxcy Snow. sic
Message has been deleted