Latest reviews in . . . cinematic crushing dark ambience CD

1 view

yadat...@hotmail.com

Jan 28, 2008, 3:09:46 PM1/28/08
SourceCodeX "Primordial Lands Arise"
( http://www.sourcecodex.com 2007 )
9 tracks, 76.51 mins

John W. Patterson aka SourceCodeX takes the listener on a deep, dark
journey into the outer reaches of experimental ambience. Low drones
rumble like thunder on "WarInHeaven" to start us off. The music is
cold and yet strangely compelling. "DroneMass" begins with
otherworldly echoes, followed by a pulsing sound with just a bit of
rough textures to it. Sounds growl and roll over the top of one
another as it builds. I saw the term "cinematic dark ambient" applied
to this music, and I think that's a great descriptor. It is more
intense than your garden variety dark ambient, and seems to be
reaching out from the depths to say something. "HellDreamVimana" adds
some warbled mangled voice effects that add to the dark, disturbing
visions created. By the time you delve deeper still into "Hidden
Things Between Things," you will either be in dark ambient heaven or
in need of serious therapy - and I do mean that as a compliment, since
clearly the music has the intended effect, in spades. My yardstick for
the genre, as I've mentioned many times, is Robert Rich and Lustmord's
Stalker. This rivals and possibly surpasses it as a benchmark. Heady
stuff, dive down in if you dare.

(c) 2008 Phil Derby / Electroambient Space