Donkey Show?

becca

Mar 3, 2004, 11:55:38 PM3/3/04
I have a possibly dumb question. I'm taking a History of Rock and Roll
class this semester. Much to my surprise, we had a unit on ska. The book
mentioned, after the Specials, "Influential ska bands such as the
Toasters from New York and Donkey Show from L.A."

Now, I've been listening to ska for about seven years now. And I have
never heard of the Donkey Show. Have I been living under a rock, or is
the author of the book an idiot (I'm inclined to say idiot...she
includes Courtney Love and Alanis Morrisette in the section on Riot
Grrl)?

Becca
--
"you dumb fucking idealist." -NavyKurt

Jon

Mar 4, 2004, 8:58:54 AM3/4/04
The Donkey Show were somewhat influential, they were a Ska/Reggae group
from San Diego formed by Dave Hillyard (Hepcat, Slackers) when he was 16.
They had a slightly traditional slant (which is what set them apart) At
the time (mid/late 80s). The push by certain members (Dave in particular)
to move to an even more traditional sound against other members push
towards a sound which eventually would eventually be termed "3rd Wave"
hastened their demise (around 1990 I think). The Donkey Show were mostly
set apart by their dual lead vocals, particular the female lead Kym
Clift. After the break up the members of the group would pop up in some
more popular bands across the country, Matt Parker landed in Chicago
playing with the Adjusters and in San Diego a few stayed together to
form Unsteady. At the time they were together they had two released, the
Mr. Brown 7" and the "Bali Island" EP on Unicorn. In the mid 90s Tazy
Phillips released his Ska Parade video which included interviews and
live footage with the Donkey Show, a few years later he also released a
CD of all their material. Dave Hillyard is embarrassed about it, but
it's really not that bad. Some real good pop-ska on their, their biggest
hit was "Mr. Brown" which to me is one of the great songs of the era.

In <Skafan101-1D2B6...@news6.west.earthlink.net> becca

becca

Mar 4, 2004, 8:42:10 PM3/4/04
In article <20040304085...@news.optonline.net>,
Jon <no.spam....@excite.com> wrote:

> The Donkey Show were somewhat influential, they were a Ska/Reggae group
> from San Diego formed by Dave Hillyard (Hepcat, Slackers) when he was 16.
> They had a slightly traditional slant (which is what set them apart) At
> the time (mid/late 80s). The push by certain members (Dave in particular)
> to move to an even more traditional sound against other members push
> towards a sound which eventually would eventually be termed "3rd Wave"
> hastened their demise (around 1990 I think). The Donkey Show were mostly
> set apart by their dual lead vocals, particular the female lead Kym
> Clift. After the break up the members of the group would pop up in some
> more popular bands across the country, Matt Parker landed in Chicago
> playing with the Adjusters and in San Diego a few stayed together to
> form Unsteady. At the time they were together they had two released, the
> Mr. Brown 7" and the "Bali Island" EP on Unicorn. In the mid 90s Tazy
> Phillips released his Ska Parade video which included interviews and
> live footage with the Donkey Show, a few years later he also released a
> CD of all their material. Dave Hillyard is embarrassed about it, but
> it's really not that bad. Some real good pop-ska on their, their biggest
> hit was "Mr. Brown" which to me is one of the great songs of the era.

interesting. just when i thought i knew just about everything about ska.
has dave been consciously suppressing this information? because now i'm
curious.

becca

Jon

Mar 5, 2004, 8:57:45 AM3/5/04
In <Skafan101-E4656...@news5.west.earthlink.net> becca
wrote:

> interesting. just when i thought i knew just about everything about
> ska. has dave been consciously suppressing this information? because
> now i'm curious.
>
> becca

I wouldn't say he "suppressing" it. He just doesn't bring it up. When
other people ask him about it he'll talk about it. Usually not much good,
but he'll talk. With that era (mid/late 80s, very early 90s) it seems
that if you weren't around at the time it has kind of slipped out of
notice.

Jon

The DE Rude Boy

Mar 7, 2004, 9:36:19 AM3/7/04
so, I guess the answer to your question is no, not really, they weren't that
influential,

and to me it seems like the writer just didn't know that much about ska from
that era, so wrote about what she did know.

maybe.
Manley
the DE Rude Boy

joshuatatman

Mar 8, 2004, 9:34:50 PM3/8/04
i took an american music history class, & our book tried to say that
ska was a branch of british punk. it was actually kinda cool, because
my teacher let me take a minute to straighten out the class. & i gave
him some cd's too.

SP radio1

Mar 10, 2004, 2:06:19 AM3/10/04
Hello Everyone,

Nice to see chatter about this band!

The Donkey Show has always been one of my favorite
3rd Wave Ska bands! Songs like "Mr. Brown," "Bali Island,"
"Selling Toes" were always staples of my radio shows and
my releases!

In the late 80's, The Donkey Show's and No Doubt
had similar lineups and they used to play together
with ND opening! It's pretty cool to see the past video footage!

Also, you may want to check out The Equators cd,
which includes ex-members of The Donkey Show!

Hope all of you are doing well!

Musically yours - Tazy
SP Radio One / Tazy's New Music Spotlight on 97 The Rogue!

BP

Aug 9, 2004, 1:29:20 AM8/9/04
I forgot the lead singers name. But, I ran into him at the Derby in LA. He
sings for a band called the "Swinging Deacons"

Matt Parker was the keyboardist. I knew him in Chicago...Really good guy.

Mod Rob

"The DE Rude Boy" <theder...@cs.com> wrote in message

SP radio1

Aug 10, 2004, 5:24:34 AM8/10/04
Hello,

The main singers of The Donkey Show
were Ray Campbell and Kim Clift.

Who you met was Bronco Farwell
- And he was the leader / trombone / singer
for The Donkey Show
- he now leads The Swinging Deacons too!

BP

Aug 14, 2004, 10:59:03 AM8/14/04
Yeah, that's right. I was with my pal Sharky and thought that was funny
that I was with a Sharky and a Bronco.

ModRob
"SP radio1" <spra...@aol.com> wrote in message

fattm...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2013, 12:58:51 PM10/20/13
I wouldn't at all say Bronco was the leader of the Donkey Show. He was enthusiastic and did a lot of footwork, that's for sure, but the band was very democratic, with all the problems that entails. Bronco only ever sang one song as far as I remember, and it wasn't in the repertoire for very long.

Jon is pretty much right about everything here.

We didn't record a lot, but I do think we were pretty influential otherwise. We were at the top of the California ska scene for about two years, and we were part of a push back toward proper Jamaican ska and reggae, which was carried on by Hepcat, Jump With Joey, and many others. But at the same time we were adventurous, and played a lot of fast stuff, and, hey, it was the 80s.

Hi Rob.

Matt

iats...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2014, 3:11:08 PM3/25/14
Hey Matt , Birdman here.As I recall we had tried to get bronco to play with us but he was busy with a couple of other bands at the time and didn't show any intrest until after our San Diego Ballroom show (the one where we made Kent hide outside so we could go on after JetSet, becausce of our lack of drummer)I've worked with Rancid and Buck O Nine and quite a few bands who count us as influence.The Songs that were recorded live weren't that bad , the recordings producer wasn't suited to the music.Best to Laurel Matt.

borni...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2014, 10:08:14 AM4/14/14
well looky here...we made into a college course curriculum!

maestrac...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2019, 11:51:27 PM12/5/19
Of course . The Donkey Show was on the brink of stardom. That’s what I thought after I heard selling toes on KROQ. To be young! I miss those days.