Ska Train Songs

mow...@acf1.nyu.edu

Jul 23, 1993, 9:27:57 AM7/23/93

"Freedom Train" - Laurel Aitken, 1962
"Morning Train" - Errol Dixon, and "Midnight Track" - Owen Gray
(found on _The Bluebeat Years_, Island Records)
"Lonesome Track" - the Wailing Wailers
"Musical Train" - Roy Shirley, "Rock Steady Train" - Evan & Jerry
(found on _The Trojan Story_)
"Train is Coming" - Ken Boothe, "Train to Glory" - Ethiopians,
"Last Train to Expo '67" (all off _Catch this Beat_, Island)
"Engine 54" - the Ethiopians
"Stop That Train" Keith & Tex (later versioned by the great Scotty)
"Must Catch a Train" - Simaryp (off _Skinhead Moonstomp_),
"Down by the Trainline" - Stranger Cole & Patsy, 1968 or so,
"Stop the Train" - the Wailers in their Lee Perry years
and "Reggae Train", by the Reggae Boys, circa 1970, off the
_Joe Gibbs & Friends_ comp on Trojan. Not exactly ska, but great!

some of the stuff is kinda hard to find. Mebbe you'd like to
expand your set to encompass ALL KINDS of transportation, in
which case you'll have Skatalites songs at your disposal about
things like Rocket Ships, China Clippers and Bus Strikes!

draw your brakes,
Jamie in NYC

Thor Lancelot Simon

Jul 23, 1993, 12:02:58 PM7/23/93
In article <22op0t$a...@cmcl2.NYU.EDU> mow...@ACF1.NYU.EDU writes:

> "Freedom Train" - Laurel Aitken, 1962
> "Morning Train" - Errol Dixon, and "Midnight Track" - Owen Gray
> (found on _The Bluebeat Years_, Island Records)
[...]

"Soultrain To Ska" -- The Frits, 19{8/9}? (on "Die Erste" --
this disc doesn't have a copyright on it _anywhere_!)
"Journey By Train" -- The Frits, 1993 (on "Not Enough For You")
"Mind The Gap" -- Arpioni, 199? (no, I've never heard of Arpioni
either, this is on an Italian ska comp I just bought.)
("Mind The Gap" as should be familiar to riders of the London
Underground system...")

Just got back from two months in Europe; I bought about 15 European Ska
CDs. I'll make a list with comments later.

A question, since I've been so out of touch -- Is Bim Skala Bim playing
anywhere in the Northeast in the next few weeks? How about Skankin' Pickle?

Thanks!
--
Thor Lancelot Simon t...@panix.COM

The clash is inevitable because Justice is an uncool lesbian.
--John Williams

Jeremy D. Mushlin

Jul 23, 1993, 3:27:00 PM7/23/93
Thor Lancelot Simon (t...@panix.com) wrote:

: In article <22op0t$a...@cmcl2.NYU.EDU> mow...@ACF1.NYU.EDU writes:
: >
: > "Freedom Train" - Laurel Aitken, 1962
: > "Morning Train" - Errol Dixon, and "Midnight Track" - Owen Gray
: > (found on _The Bluebeat Years_, Island Records)
: [...]

: "Soultrain To Ska" -- The Frits, 19{8/9}? (on "Die Erste" --
: this disc doesn't have a copyright on it _anywhere_!)
: "Journey By Train" -- The Frits, 1993 (on "Not Enough For You")
: "Mind The Gap" -- Arpioni, 199? (no, I've never heard of Arpioni
: either, this is on an Italian ska comp I just bought.)
: ("Mind The Gap" as should be familiar to riders of the London
: Underground system...")

Don't forget the Wailers doing the folksy-gospelly version of
This Train (is Bound to Glory)-I listen to this song every morning
for inspiration before I go to work ("...oh my little Jesus, here me
come, Lord...this train is for the holy and the soully...")-they just
don't make 'em like they used to!
-Mush-1

: Just got back from two months in Europe; I bought about 15 European Ska

anora...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2019, 9:02:16 AM1/10/19
Laurel Aitken-"Skinhead Train"
The Ethiopians-"Train To Skaville"
The Charmers-"Skinhead Train"
Desmond Dekker-"Rude Boy Train"
The Pyramids-"Train Tour To Rainbow City"

All tracks on on YouTube for your listening pleasure....

https://anorakthing.blogspot.com/